Current State of Rogue servers

Started by catwhowalksbyhimself, May 28, 2019, 10:28:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

catwhowalksbyhimself

Well, I'm a bit behind the times, because in the wake of NCSoft not suing the oblivion out of the now outed secret server, they released their code to the public and there are now a ton of servers out there.  Homecoming seems to be the largest group, running four or five servers themselves with waiting lists to play at times.

So is anyone playing on any of these servers?  I'm halfway tempted to boot up the old game myself.  I will post a link to an article with a list of servers below, for reverence.

https://massivelyop.com/2019/05/21/city-of-heroes-reddit-shards-homecoming-multibox/
I am the cat that walks by himself, all ways are alike to me.

GhostMachine

So if I decide to start playing again, would this be my best option at the moment? I don't want to start on one set of servers then find out I have to/should be somewhere else.

(And I hope the Veteran Rewards are all unlocked. Veteran Rewards were the one boneheaded thing the devs did, since some of those costume pieces, like bird wings, were for iconic character types.)

catwhowalksbyhimself

Quote from: GhostMachine on May 29, 2019, 12:04:52 AM
So if I decide to start playing again, would this be my best option at the moment? I don't want to start on one set of servers then find out I have to/should be somewhere else.

(And I hope the Veteran Rewards are all unlocked. Veteran Rewards were the one boneheaded thing the devs did, since some of those costume pieces, like bird wings, were for iconic character types.)

Homecoming is the largest and actually has active development going on and is backed by one of the guys behind the secret server who's also the one providing the code that all the fan servers run on.  And yes, all the veteran rewards come unlocked, and most of the other purchaseable stuff is available from a new vendor you'll find all over the place.

The Homecoming servers also include a new archetype, more powerset proliferation, a new zone and TF, Incarnate levels earnable with regular xp and all basebuilding stuff can be freely build without having to earn any sort of currency.

Tortuga

We're fairly active on the Excelsior server of Homecoming. Most nights there'll be a team running together. We've also got a Facebook group and Discord channel we use for chat, sharing pics, planning TFs etc. Plenty of fun to be had and the game is amazingly stable!

GhostMachine

I've played around some on Pleiades, and on Excelsior. But I'm probably not keeping the character I made on Excelsior. Jut threw one together to check it out.

I like what Pleiadies has to offer (lot of extra unlocked abilities, rewards, etc), but their unlocks as far as some auras and costume pieces go are messed up.

Question about Going Rogue, since I quit CoX before it was released: Do both sides (loyalist and rebels) start off with the same contact, but branch off at some point? If so, when?

catwhowalksbyhimself

Quote from: GhostMachine on May 31, 2019, 05:23:05 PM

Question about Going Rogue, since I quit CoX before it was released: Do both sides (loyalist and rebels) start off with the same contact, but branch off at some point? If so, when?

It's been a while, but I believe they branch off pretty much immediately.  There are opportunities to switch though and neither side determines whether you become hero or villain. That is a separate choice.

It looks most of the FR are on Excelsior.  IT should have everything Plaiades has and them some.  I don't think they have the new class, for example.

But I'm just glad you we are able to enjoy the game again, whatever server we end up at.  The fact we have actually options just makes it better.

GhostMachine

I've made a couple of characters on Excelsior:

Xurin Darkmaker, a remake of one of my old heroes. He's a Martial Arts/Dark Armor Scrapper.

Doc Terror, a Robotics/Dark Miasma Mastermind. Done as a hero, he's sort of a re-do of a villain I had whose name was Doctor something or other. I can't remember his full name.

Deleted a hero I made named Salty Pete, planning to re-do him with a different Primary.....and forgot I hadn't saved his costume. d'oh!

Tortuga

Join the FR-NRF global chat channel. That's where most of our convalescing occurs. That and the Discord channel...and the FRCOH Facebook group.

GhostMachine

Will do.

And if anyone runs into a hero named GhostMachine or Ghostmachine, its not me. I had to go with GhostMachine71, since the name was already taken when I went to re-create him. Though @ GhostMachine is my global.

Raptor

Hey guys!  I'm back as well.  I've been playing the past couple weeks on COH and loving it!  As luck would have it I've almost completely recreated all my old toons on Excelsior!  Capt. Conduit & Demonik have been roaming the streets again and it's glorious!  I'll be joining the FR Discord so be looking for me.  My handle on Discord is Pitbull_1973.  Look forward to seeing you guys there!

Also, I have recreated the No Remorse Force SG on Excelsior.  Would love to reform the coalition with FR
[img]http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y154/pitbull_1973/CoH/forum_sig_banner.jpg[/img]
Capt. Conduit - Demonik - Candi Stryper - Arctic Pyre - xx Raptor xx - Ehrlicht - Feral Feret - Chemotherapist

Lionheart

QuoteHomecoming is the largest and actually has active development going on and is backed by one of the guys behind the secret server who's also the one providing the code that all the fan servers run on.  And yes, all the veteran rewards come unlocked, and most of the other purchaseable stuff is available from a new vendor you'll find all over the place.

The Homecoming servers also include a new archetype, more powerset proliferation, a new zone and TF, Incarnate levels earnable with regular xp and all basebuilding stuff can be freely build without having to earn any sort of currency.

Not only is the basebuilding stuff not gated behind prestige now, they have added a ton of items to it. You can do far more with bases now than before. Check out the basebuilding section of the CoH Homecoming forum. My wife is going to go nuts when she starts into building our base. That was one of her favorite parts of CoH.  :)

GhostMachine

CoH is also a ton better than Champions Online when it comes to bases. The only reason to get one in Champions Online, other than to have some place cool to stand around or for RP (I don't RP), is for account bank access. And there are no supergroup bases, just individual character ones.

I already joined FR on GhostMachine71 (drat whoever stole my name!), but need to get Doc Terror in it or NRF. Doc Terror is my Robots/Dark Miasma MM hero who looks like he should be a villain.

*edited to add* Question, if anyone knows: Is Phase Shift the good version that stays on until you turn it off, or the nerfed all to heck for pvp reasons so don't even bother version?

Tortuga

Quote from: Kommando on February 13, 2020, 11:12:09 PM
Here's a weird question. Anyone remember the rules for Brute Ball?

AFBL! Arena Foot Brawl League...
Level cap was 7. Certain powers were off limits as we found them to be too powerful. I can't remember which ones though. If anyone has that info it's MikeB7, heh. Most of the other rules had to do with uniforms  :lol: