News:

Rings of Reznor!

Main Menu

Cobra Kai

Started by HarryTrotter, April 25, 2019, 07:00:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HarryTrotter

Well,the second season is here,I downed it in a day.And it was actually even better then the first.  :)
''Even our origin stories have gone sour.''
Jon Farmer

Silver Shocker

I keep hearing great things about Kobra Kai. I'm gonna have to watch that at some point.
"Now you know what you're worth? Then go out and get what you're worth, but you gotta be willing to take the hits. And not pointing fingers, saying you're not where you want to be because of him, or her, or anybody. Cowards do that, and THAT AIN'T YOU. YOU'RE BETTER THAN THAT!"
~Rocky Balboa

HarryTrotter

So season 3. I think it was actually an improvement over s2. Even if it seems to be a setup for s4.

Spoiler
Johnny and Miguel are still a highpoint. Yes,Ali is back,but it mercifully doesn't turn into  a love triangle. I have to give it to the writers,they know what to do and how to subvert the expectations the right way. Speaking of which,Stingray isn't around anymore because that joke wore out. Danny goes back to Okinawa for business reasons,which makes sense. We get to know a bit more of mister Miyagi and we see that meeting Daniel also helped him,which was pretty emotional. Little girl Daniel saved in the second movie is now the vice-president of not-Toyota and just the person he needed. Which I found to be a stretch,but it does go with the shows theme of karma. Chozen is now the (wise) old master,which also makes sense and goes with the redemption theme. And I guess Tori had a growth spurt or something.
Kreese- man,you really love to hate this guy(even if he has 3 layers of plot armor here). We get to see his backstory,and we can understand how he got to be this way,but that doesn't make him any more likable. Dude is even using his veteran status for sympathy points. And is savvy with NuSpeak (Councilperson! :lol:)
And we end with him calling an old buddy,after all those Nam flashbacks. So Terry Silver is probably happening.
Jon Farmer

Silver Shocker

Yup. Pretty much all of that.

Spoiler
Can't say I was missing Stingray, but I was surprised, and a tiny bit disappointed, but the complete absence of Aisha. (I think she gets mentioned all of twice?) It felt like a part of the show is missing, but as I understand she's supposed to be in S4.

Demetri and Hawk were pretty well handled. I'm not sure I buy how good they made Demitri in a fight, but otherwise, good stuff.

Them showing restraint and not doing love triangles (other than the kids, of course) was admirable. I was so sure they were going there with Kumiko, but no, Daniel-san gets some much needed perspective and encouragement, and then leaves. Good stuff.

Tori....is less of a psychopath than S2, and that's a good thing.

Sure seems like Terry Silver is coming. One thing I LOVE about this show is the use of archive footage. You were right, you really DON'T need to watch the movies to get the story. The only thing you get there you can't get here is Mr. Miyagi, but admittedly Mr. Miyagi is the man.

And of course, to quote Alfred Hitchcock "they don't go to the police because it's dull." (And the one time they do, it doesn't work)

The kids giving a speech about the power of friendship karate is more schlock, but you're having such a good time at that point you can't bring yourself to knock the show for it.

Yeah, Kreese is the "Negan" of Kobra Kai. You get context for him, but you really don't get any kind of justification.

On a less spoiler note, there's talk of a Cobra Kai cinematic universe, and I'm just like, nooooo.....NOOOOOO!

The good thing about Star Wars, Marvel and even DC is the variety "B*&^% please, you've been to space." I watch the Walking Dead spinoffs. You're not going to get anything out of Kobra Kai spinoffs you can't get out of the main show unless you split off the cast into other shows, which would hurt the main show
"Now you know what you're worth? Then go out and get what you're worth, but you gotta be willing to take the hits. And not pointing fingers, saying you're not where you want to be because of him, or her, or anybody. Cowards do that, and THAT AIN'T YOU. YOU'RE BETTER THAN THAT!"
~Rocky Balboa

HarryTrotter

Im ashamed to admit,but I saw season 1 of Fear the Walking Dead. How many junkie cliches can you fit into 6 episodes? All of them, apparently. 🙄

But in Cobra Kai we get more depth to Mr Miyagi. And basically everyone. He didn't really have it all together before meeting Daniel. That kinda gave him a new chance.
Jon Farmer

Silver Shocker

Funny you should say, Nick was by far my favorite character in Fear.

QuoteHe didn't really have it all together before meeting Daniel.

True, but this WAS implied in the films themselves. Particularly that one scene where he talks about his time in the military when he was a young man.
~Rocky Balboa

HarryTrotter

https://youtu.be/mzGnVADfKWk
There is an Honest Trailer.  :thumbup:
Follow one guy as he tries to prove there is more to him then one thing he did in the 80's... William Zabka. Thats just not true...he was in Back to school. And he was the son in The Equilizer. If anyone remembers that.
Jon Farmer

Silver Shocker

Sorry, man, the only version of the Equalizer I know is the Denzel movie.

Me personally, my gateway was that great skit in How I Met Your Mother, which was very much the Cobra Kai meme before the show actually got made.

Totally worth it.
~Rocky Balboa

HarryTrotter

I like Denzel,but man...he is not Edward Woodward.
Jon Farmer

HarryTrotter

https://youtu.be/zIxKKv8q5W0
Terry Silver is back. This should be interesting.
Jon Farmer

Silver Shocker

Saw it. Looks good. My memory of Terry Silver from pt 3 isn't the greatest, but I'm looking forward to seeing what CK does with him. They've used Kreese really well, so should be good.
~Rocky Balboa