Star Wars Resistance

Started by Shogunn2517, October 01, 2018, 04:20:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shogunn2517

Because... more Star Wars can never be a bad thing... https://youtu.be/Ae2Cxy8sswk

Since the show is set to debut next week, what we know can be considered spoilers, but nothing outside of what's seen in the trailer is known for sure.

But what is known, it takes place six months before Episode VII. Gwendolyn Christie(Phasma) and Oscar Isaacs(Poe Dameron) will be reprising their roles. A few other notables will have roles, Bobby Moynihan(SNL), Donald Faison(Scrubs), Elijah Wood(LotR: trilogy). The main character plays a starfighter pilot named Kazuda Xiono, who with other pilots compete in races, but is recruited by the Resistance to be a spy.

That's about it.

My early impressions and thoughts(hopes really), the previous two shows were a bit hit and miss at times.  Of course they're all Disney shows so they're clearly geared towards a younger audience, particularly with the main characters, Ezra and Ahsoka. They're pretty much avatars for the audience and it looks like that's where they're headed with this character. However where these shows really hit their stride is by dwelving into the conflicts with where each series is set. When they really got into the Clone Wars and the Galactic Civil War. That's where they got really good.  Frankly, they have a massive canvas to play with in this part of the timeline and can take this in a familiar direction that will be well received by older fans and newer ones.

But they can just as easily blow it too.

Silver Shocker

I'm not super stoked for Resistance. I'll watch it, and there's a good chance it'll pick up momentum for me as it goes, as Clone Wars and Rebels did, but I'm not quite as excited for this one. I think it's a combination of the art style, the focus on starfighter pilots, and the fact we got a closure for a fair number of things by Rebels' end compared to Clone Wars premature....hiatus?  Then again, I remember not being excited about Rebels starting point and being more interested in "when are we going to see Ahsoka? When are we going to see Darth Maul? Will Hondo show up?" ect. But on the other hand, I think Rebels benefited from a solidified central cast, something Clone Wars kinda lacked, and this show looks like it has that part handled. And I do trust Filoni to a degree after all these years since he does seem to have a fondness and reverence for the rich history of Star Wars, so I'll give him the benefit of the doubt.

I'd laugh if the show made better use of Captain Phasma than the actual films. Hmm, you never know...
"Now you know what you're worth? Then go out and get what you're worth, but you gotta be willing to take the hits. And not pointing fingers, saying you're not where you want to be because of him, or her, or anybody. Cowards do that, and THAT AIN'T YOU. YOU'RE BETTER THAN THAT!"
~Rocky Balboa

crimsonquill

I have hope for the show that's for sure. Plus I'm happy Star Wars: The Clone Wars is getting a wrap-up to it's own series after getting cancelled.

Oh, Being a gamer and burned so many times on frustrating video games.. If they make a Star Wars Resistance tie-in game with a constant goal to fly through endless rings I'm going to cringe like crazy. Stop making these bad game tropes part of these shows you are just encouraging these game makers to keep doing this!

- CQ
"He said let there be light... CLICK! It was a lightbulb. And It was good."

Silver Shocker

So season 1 wrapped up, and I have thoughts.

First of all I thought the show was pretty poor for the vast majority of season 1. Formula, childish, the cast wasn't particularly interesting. As a tie-in to the current movies it wasn't very interesting, and as a followup to Clone Wars and Rebels it was downright disgraceful. I was not surprised to read that Dave Filoni had about as little involvement in it as possible while still having his name on it, due to being busy working on the new season of Clone Wars. It was said his role on the show was comparable to George Lucas' role on Clone Wars, but even George seemed to have more of a positive influence on CW (even if accidentally; Rex being Rex instead of Alpha from the comics, Darth Maul coming back, and much of what initially went into Ahsoka were George's ideas)

Then we get the 2-part finale, and that's when things started to get interesting.

Spoiler
So during the mid-season break, there was a trailer for the second half of the season, which showed the First Order having more of a presence on the show, and specifcially General Hux's speech from The Force Awakens and Starkiller Base blowing up all those planets, here seen as a holographic broadcast. So at this point we know it's going to catch up to the events of the film. A few episodes before the finale Poe Dameron shows up, takes BB-8 with him to go on a "secret mission" (thus tying into the very beginning of TFA) and the whole time I'm watching for the Starkiller base sequence and figure out it's going to be in the finale. Then part one of the finale ends with Kaz, the main character, sneaking around and witnessing the broadcast, which is being viewed by First Order Troops......and immediately observes that Starkiller Base blew up his home planet, likely killing his family.

YEAAAH, that's just about the most interesting thing you could do to tie-in to the Force Awakens. I was actually pretty happy with that. One of the problems people have had with the new Star Wars movies from the get go is that The First Order just kinda materialized out of thin air without exploring where they came from and how they got the resources to build a superweapon like SB (this is, of course, in the books). People also wanted to know just what planets got blown up by SB and how much of the Resistance was left. This wasn't really addressed in the movie itself, and I found you didn't get enough of a sense of what was lost in The Last Jedi.

Here we get a personal element attached to this event through the main character of the show. So yeah, that's a good idea. I wonder if Filoni came up with that.

Anyway, pt 2 ends with them getting the flying fortress the show is set on up and running and fly on out of their, to rendezvous with the Resistance. I was like "Hey, that could be cool" but of course, failure is the only option, and due to the resident comic relief character not properly keying in the Hyperspace coordinates (yes, really - I seem to recall Han Solo saying that was a very dangerous thing to do - and we saw why in The Last Jedi) They actually don't know where they're going to end up. So it's Star Trek Voyager Now. Wow, to quote MST3K, you keep the tension for a whole 10 seconds. Who knows, maybe season 2 will end up much better and they'll run into Ezra and Thrawn.

So yeah, a big step down from the previous shows, but I think there is some potential going forward.
"Now you know what you're worth? Then go out and get what you're worth, but you gotta be willing to take the hits. And not pointing fingers, saying you're not where you want to be because of him, or her, or anybody. Cowards do that, and THAT AIN'T YOU. YOU'RE BETTER THAN THAT!"
~Rocky Balboa