News:

Rings of Reznor!

Main Menu

Map Madness

Started by BentonGrey, May 28, 2018, 02:43:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BentonGrey

Okay, here's a weird one.  So, I've been using FF1 maps for a while, and for the layout file, they always point to some crazy, nonexistent directory.
Quote\\Shodan\Project\Justice\Data\Art\level layout\23_The_Dawn_of_Time\23_The_Dawn_of_Time\level.txt
Now, whenever I have to edit one of these level layouts, obviously I've got to put the file in a directory that actually exists and point the editor towards it, right?

I've always assumed that the layout files in my main Data directory were the source for these, somehow, and updated properly to play nicely with the Map Pack.  Well, there are two LL folders, one in Data/Level Layout, and the other in Data/Art/Level Layout.  The first one is all updated with proper area_speciff1 entries for appropriate maps, but it only has a handful of FF1 maps.  The second one has all the FF1 maps (and I must have put them there sometime, though I don't remember when), but most if not all of them are not updated. 

I discovered this when I copied that second directory into the DCUG so I could have any necessary LLs for my players who might not have everything in my Frankensteined setup.  You see, that data path that I thought must have been pointing to my Data folder must not have been, because as soon as I copied the folder over, the FF1 maps I was working on suddenly went back to looking for their terrain and objects in area_specific, despite the fact that they had worked fine before.

Weird!  Anyone have any insight into this bit of weirdness?  Where are those corrected LLs stored?  Anyone know?

:EDIT: So, I know have a completely updated set of FF1 Level Layouts, if anyone needs them.
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman
Check out mymods and blog!
https://bentongrey.wordpress.com/

Cyber Burn

While I can't really answer your questions, from what I've noticed, anytime that you remove a directory that the FF Editor is pointing to, this non-existent directory becomes the standard that the Editor does point to. For example, after I re-installed the MA Mod, once the old MA Mod was gone, you'll notice from the pic below, that even though I have re-installed it, once the Editor had nowhere to point to, it automatically chose the non-existent path as it's standard path. So now that the MA Mod is back, I now have to reset all my paths in the FF Editor.

I think that is why you have the path that you have in the quote below...But I could be wrong.

Quote from: BentonGrey on May 28, 2018, 02:43:03 AM

Quote\\Shodan\Project\Justice\Data\Art\level layout\23_The_Dawn_of_Time\23_The_Dawn_of_Time\level.txt

BentonGrey

Fascinating, CB!  That's so weird...but the weirder thing is, that path seems to work!

Oddly, my searches turn up absolutely nothing on the boards or in the archives about this!
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman
Check out mymods and blog!
https://bentongrey.wordpress.com/