News:

Rings of Reznor!

Main Menu

DCUG Tuneup

Started by BentonGrey, May 20, 2018, 03:18:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BentonGrey

Howdy folks!  I'm working on reconditioning and re-releasing the DCUG, and as part of that, I'm revisiting and updating some HFs.  I'll be posting the things I'm working on here.

At the moment, I'm working on:

Hourman.  He's only got two powers, other than his custom Miraclo attribute.  He's got a solid punch with KB and a 3 hit combo.  This really illustrates how much my character design has changed over the years!  Anyway, I'm looking to expand his HF a bit.  Any suggestions?
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman
Check out mymods and blog!
https://bentongrey.wordpress.com/

detourne_me

I'd give him a tumble or sprint as well.
When i think about melee attacks i ask myself a few questions...
If its a 1 hit - will it cause a lot of damage? Stun them to set up for another attack? Or knock them away to create some distance?
If its a multiple hit combo - will it be a 'killing blow' causing lots of damage? Will it be to hit multiple enemies, like if he is surrounded?
By asking those questions I think you can justify a lot of different melee attacks...
Otherwise I prefer to keep it simple like your previous HF for Hourman

daglob

Perhaps Heavy Lifter, so he can throw things?

oktokels

since its a time related character, i put him some speed buff and debuff moves... and a special 300 percenter move called "miraclo pill",  in the attributes he have precognitive and danger sense, to emulate his "time vision".

BentonGrey

Thanks for the feedback and suggestions guys; they were helpful!

My current build has a custom attribute called Miraclo, which gives him super strength and speed when he uses a custom command, but it only lasts 30 minutes (I figured an hour of game time would effectively be the same as it being permanent.

DM, that's pretty much my approach, but you're pointing it out helped solidify ideas for me.

OK, this is Hourman I, but you still helped me, so thanks man!  :)

DG, if I had a different build, that would work.

So, I've added a few new powers, but I'm toying with some other ideas, and I'd like y'all's take on them.

I've given him a quick, two-contact melee attack that does low damage but high stun (a favorite of my new design philosophy), and a high damage, extreme KB attack for tough foes and to get some breathing room.

The ones I'm toying with are a Sprint (thanks to OK) and an area, ground-slam attack with some knockback and low damage.

Here's the hitch: These would both be powers predicated on miraclo, but the player would have access to them all the time, even before they used the miraclo command, which would somewhat break the concept.  What do y'all think?  Is it better to have the purity or the playability? 
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman

spydermann93

One way that I handled Hourman a couple years back is that I gave him Shapeshifter where the Temporary Form was his "Miraclo" form, but it would only last one minute. It would drain his energy, but it boosted his stats substantially. In his normal form, he had weak melee attacks, but ok stun so that he could keep foes off of him (but not overly so). His powered form had stronger punches, but not at much crowd-control. He was meant for laying the hurt as fast as he can. Very bursty.

oktokels

Quote from: BentonGrey on May 20, 2018, 05:17:26 PM
Is it better to have the purity or the playability?

In my opinion, first i choose purity, to establish a base of the character that is canon to the comics or movies. Then if some of those attributes or powers doesnt work well with the game, then i tweak or delete them (or give new powers) to make the character more eficient in game.  In the case of hourman, i prefer to give him a 300 percenter special move to translate his miraclo pill move, because i think this move emulates better the low durability of the pill effect... but its really a matter of wheter you like it or not how a character is performing in game... this is what i really like about this game, the freedom to make this choises... freedom force !! lol  :P

detourne_me

Another option is to give him the Battery Powered, Metabolic Strength and Slow Starter attributes, so he starts with zero energy, but if you use a hero point he powers up. All of his high damage moves could cost energy, while the low damage moves are zero energy.

BentonGrey

Howdy guys, thanks for some great ideas!  I hadn't responded because I've been pondering my options, but I wanted to thank y'all for your thoughtful responses!  Stay tuned for some more tune-up posts!  I'm almost done writing missions, which means it will be time to work on HFs.
God Bless

BentonGrey

Okay, I'm crossposting this in the my request thread.  I need to tweak my Superman/Lex Luthor setup.  My original build was Supes with Vulnerability and Accidental Change, triggered by Alien Mineral and Lex Luthor's Toxic attribute.  The Change would spawn a weakened, K-Poisoned version of Supes, who would revert back after a while.  I had that because Supes' invulnerability wasn't affected by Vulnerability, ironically.  This is a little clunky and poses some major problems for using him in EZScripted missions, as, if he gets called on by the script by name while poisoned, it could crash the mission or at least break it.  I'd like to streamline the build.  Anyone have any ideas?  Anyone know enough about attributes to tweak Vulnerability to remove INvulnerability?
God Bless

spydermann93

Quote from: BentonGrey on November 05, 2018, 04:38:10 AM
Okay, I'm crossposting this in the my request thread.  I need to tweak my Superman/Lex Luthor setup.  My original build was Supes with Vulnerability and Accidental Change, triggered by Alien Mineral and Lex Luthor's Toxic attribute.  The Change would spawn a weakened, K-Poisoned version of Supes, who would revert back after a while.  I had that because Supes' invulnerability wasn't affected by Vulnerability, ironically.  This is a little clunky and poses some major problems for using him in EZScripted missions, as, if he gets called on by the script by name while poisoned, it could crash the mission or at least break it.  I'd like to streamline the build.  Anyone have any ideas?  Anyone know enough about attributes to tweak Vulnerability to remove INvulnerability?

Vulnerability should remove Invulnerability no problem. The issue is Physical Resistance which doesn't get removed. I believe I sent you a "fix" a long time ago where Vulnerability did remove it (might've been for Marvel Adventures), but it wasn't perfect. It sometimes didn't re-add Physical Resistance which could be problematic.

What you could do is keep Superman's Invulnerable (05), but remove Physical Resistance and chance his typing to Concrete in FFEdit. Here are the benefits to it:

1) There won't be a permanent Physical Resistance on him preventing the 1 damage per second that Vulnerability causes.

2) It would make him resistant to all attacks except Energy, which seems to be what you use for Kryptonite weapons, if I remember correctly. He would still reduce the damage a bit with his invulnerability, but it won't be cut in half. Plus, he'll be highly resistant to Piercing. He is the Man of Steel, after all :P

3) He'll have a natural resistance to stuns which is always nice.

4) He'll still be vulnerable to Mystic attacks. He isn't weak to them like he would be with Stone, so it fits nicely with his actual powerset, i.e. not being weak to magic, just didn't have a resistance to it.

5) When he takes a knockout blow, he won't take unreduced damage. With Physical Resistance, say he had 20 health left and takes a 20 damage hit. Physical Resistance wouldn't work since he would be KO'd before the script proc'd, but with Concrete, he'll not only automatically reduce it by half, but the invulnerability will proc, too. So that 20 would become 5 damage.

6) If you're worried about Earth Control affecting him, I don't believe it actually will. I don't think Earth Control affects Concrete characters, but if it does, you can change his subtype to Flesh in his m25ai section.

I'll have to look at Lex again, but that's what I got for Superman's Vulnerability issue.

BentonGrey

Spyder my friend, haha, you know my work better than I do!  I had forgotten your fix, but now that you mention it, you're absolutely right.  Could you take a look at the code to make sure I've actually got it in place?  What file is that in?

Great suggestions man, and you make a good argument!  I'm hesitant to move away from my Physical Resistance model because the whole mod is balanced with that concept.  I'll consider that, but the balancing issues are probably prohibitive.  PR scales with all damage, while material type is static, so upper leveling scaling (and that's where Supes lives) would be an issue.
God Bless

spydermann93

Should be in ffx.py under "theworks", but I seem to have removed it in my code :doh:

I'm going to poke around and see if I still have the "fix" or not.

As for physical resistance balance, it is true that it blocks all damage types (aside from mental damage), but unless paired with grim resolve, it offers no stun resistance and there still is that issue of lethal damage not being blocked, which I've tried to fix, but I couldn't find a way to do it. With the fix, it is better, though. I tend to waffle on balancing decisions, so I tend to think either is fine, haha

BentonGrey

Haha, yeah, well my design philosophy changed between DCUG and MA, which is why there are a LOT more guys with materials instead of just PR in MA.  BUT, I don't have the time or energy to rebuild the DCUG's balance from the ground up, so I'm sticking with its original design philosophy. 

You're certainly not wrong, my friend.  The PR system has significant disadvantages, not least of which is that you can't get around it with powers like Genetic Damage.  That's a major reason I changed things in MA.  Nonetheless, the advantages, especially at higher power levels, which are more prevalent in DC anyway, are enough to keep me mostly happy.

Unfortunately, it looks like I don't have your fix either in my ffx.py.  I'm searched the forums and looked where I thought it might be as well, but no luck.
God Bless

BentonGrey

:EDIT: I've added the Mist's HF.

Howdy folks!  So, I'm starting a new round of character building.  In addition to others, I'm working on some JSA villains and Golden Age characters.  To start with, does anyone have any HFs they like for Killer Frost, Liberty Belle, the Mist, or Icicle I?

I'm trying to find an interesting and fun way to capture Liberty Belle's powers.  Basically, she had a friend who would ring the Liberty Bell, and she would get increased strength, speed, and stamina thanks to a fragment of it she carried with her.  These are relatively minor enhancements.  She wasn't throwing cars or anything.  What would be a fun way to capture that?  I thought about Metabolic, but that isn't quite right.  A 300 Percenter power would be too limited.  Ideas?

I've already started my process, and I have HFs for the Gambler and the Fiddler with which I'm relatively happy.  Check them out.  I'd love some feedback!

The Gambler
Spoiler
Info:
     File Type:    FFv3R
     Mesh:         library\characters\gambler_t\character.nif
     Skin:         standard
     Material:     Flesh
     Weight (lbs): 168
     AI:           CZeroCost
     Voice:       

Stats:
     Strength:     3    Normal
     Speed:        4    Fast
     Agility:      4    Agile
     Endurance:    4    Hardy
     Energy:       4    Powerful

Attributes:
     Disguise                     
     Disciplined                   
     Acrobatic (amateur)           
     Danger Sense                 
     Crack Shot                   

Powers:
     duces and dukes (Melee):
             DamageType:          Crushing
             Magnitude:           Low
             Energy Point Cost:   None
             Stun:                Low
             Knockback:           Low
             Swiftness:           Fast
             Arc:                 No Arc
             Level:               4
             Animation Name:      melee                         
             Attached FX Name:    default_punch                 

derringer shot (Ranged - Projectile):
             DamageType:          Piercing
             Stun:                None
             Knockback:           None
             Velocity:            Fast
             Radius:              No Arc
             Range:               Medium
             Accuracy:            High
             Animation Name:      ranged_gun_2                 
             Attached FX Name:    blackjack_pistolshots         

triple shot (Ranged - Projectile):
             Energy Point Cost:   Low
             Animation Name:      ranged_gun_4                 
             Attached FX Name:    blackjack_pistolshots         

ammonia pellets (Ranged - Explosive Projectile):
             DamageType:          Acid Burn
             Magnitude:           High
             Stun:                Very High
             Velocity:            Normal
             Radius:              90 Degrees
             Attached FX Name:    gas_pellet_yellow             

throwing knife (Ranged - Projectile):
             Stun:                High
             Accuracy:            Extreme
             Animation Name:      ranged_11                     
             Attached FX Name:    SpudKnife                     

explosive rounds (Ranged - Explosive Projectile):
             DamageType:          Heat
             Energy Point Cost:   Medium
             Knockback:           Medium
             Range:               Long
             Attached FX Name:    gas_spray_explosive           

smoke pellets (Ranged - Explosive Projectile):
             DamageType:          Blind
             Stun:                Medium
             Animation Name:      ranged_gun_4                 
             Attached FX Name:    gas_pellet_purple             

straight flush (Melee):
             Animation Name:      melee_5                       
             Attached FX Name:    bullet_chainedpunches         

full house (Ranged - Projectile):
             DamageType:          Acid
             Magnitude:           Medium
             Animation Name:      ranged_2                     
             Attached FX Name:    blackjack_acidcard           

He's got a number of tricky attacks, regular shots with his gun, but also gas and smoke attacks and some acid-dipped cards.  Plus, he can handle himself in a brawl, as he's got a 3 contact melee attack as well.

The Fiddler
Spoiler
Info:
     Mesh:         library\characters\fiddler_t\character.nif
     Skin:         standard
     Voice:       

Stats:
     Strength:     2    Weak
     Energy:       7    Extraordinarily Powerful

Attributes:
     Disciplined                   
     FF Active Defense (20 HP)     
     Unheroic
     Puppet Master             

Powers:
     maestro melee (Melee):
             Swiftness:           Normal

song of sorrow (Ranged - Beam):
             Animation Name:      ranged                       
             Attached FX Name:    fortissimo_song_of_pain       

musical disruption (Ranged - Beam):
             DamageType:          Disrupt Object
             Accuracy:           
             Attached FX Name:    seaurchin_sonicray           

seductive song (Direct):
             DamageType:          Hypnosis
             Attached FX Name:    thebard_lullaby               

song of rage (Direct):
             DamageType:          Rage
             Animation Name:      ranged_4                     

song of confusion (Direct):
             DamageType:          Mental Blank

sonic wave (Ranged - Cone):
             Knockback:           High
             Angle:               High
             Attached FX Name:    fortissimo_deadly_chorus     

musical mayhem (Area):
             Radius:              360 Degrees
             Attached FX Name:    centurion_horn_of_apollo 

song of despair (Direct):
             DamageType:          Panic

The Fiddler is all about mind control, but he also has some damaging attacks.  I really ran out of space on him, as he could use a few more powers.  He's got a nice area attack to throw back any speedsters that get in his face, and he can manipulate the environment with his fiddle, using disruption beams, and I've given him Puppet Master so he can create his own minions.  I'm torn on whether to use energy or crushing for his musical attacks.  Normally, I use crushing for sonic attacks, but his are MAGICAL sonic attacks.  Ideas?  I'm also debating increasing his direct power range.

The Mist:
Spoiler
QuoteInfo:
     Mesh:         library\characters\mist\character.nif
     Skin:         mist i
     Voice:       

Stats:
     Agility:      5    Very Agile
     Endurance:    3    Normal
     Energy:       3    Minor Energy

Attributes:
     Dispersed                     
     Escapologist                 
     Gaseous Form                 
     Flier                         

Powers:
     ephemeral fist (Melee):
             Attached FX Name:    blackjack_hitspang           

chimeric combo (Melee):
             Animation Name:      melee_3                       

intangible uppercut (Melee):
             Animation Name:      melee_2                       

hypnotic vapors (Area):
             Radius:              180 Degrees
             Animation Name:      area_4                       
             Attached FX Name:    generic_ice_explosion         

ephemeral attack (Ranged - Projectile):
             Range:               Short
             Accuracy:            Medium
             Animation Name:      flying_melee                 
             Attached FX Name:    ffq_heightcheck               

invisibility serum (Special):
             Special Type:        Cloak of Shadows   
             Level:               2
             Attached FX Name:    bluedarkmen_cloak             

intangibility (Passive Defense):
             Block Type:          Reflect
             Success Rating:      Frequent
             Animation Name:                                   
             Attached FX Name:                                 
             Damage Blocked:      Acid
                                  Crushing
                                  Piercing
                                  Energy
                                  Electrical
                                  Cold
                                  Fire
             Defense Flags:       Always Active
             Attacks Blocked:     Melee
                                  Ranged
                                  Area
                                  Direct

I spent, no kidding, an hour editing keys for this guy, only to realize that the perfect keys already existed...male_swimming.  D'oh!  Now he floats around all mist-like and seems pretty fitting.  I've got him a range of melee attacks, and a medium area mind control power.  He can also become invisible, and I will add a phasing power.  What else should he be able to do?  Anything?  I've given him a very high PD that will let most attacks pass through him, but I like to leave some type of weakness in such a power.  Any ideas for what would be fitting?
God Bless

BentonGrey

Howdy guys, I'm still working on new characters and still looking for help!  I've mostly closed the books on the previous guys I've listed, as I've added them to the DCUG, but I am still messing around with Liberty Belle, lacking a really clear idea of how to portray her powers in an interesting way.  I you've got any insight into any of these guys, feel free to chip in!

On new notes, I'm looking for inspiration for the Freedom Fighters, but ESPECIALLY Uncle Sam.  I've got some half-baked notions about giving him Team Player or something, trying to find some way to emulate his interesting power set, but I don't have anything good yet.

Also, does anyone have an HF for Trigon, Raven's bad dad?
God Bless

oktokels

Quote from: BentonGrey on January 17, 2019, 04:35:11 AM
Also, does anyone have an HF for Trigon, Raven's bad dad?
This is what i got
------------------------------------------
                  TRIGON
weight: 520 lbs + density control
str: 10
spd: 5
agl: 6
end: 10
enr: 10
-------------------------------------------
Attributes:
1) Level Headed+Unbeliever+Disciplined
2) Growth (combo)
3) Environment control (full)
4) Fire control
5) Presence
6) Super TK
7) Summoner 4 (demons)
8) Coordinator
9) Field Commander
-------------------------------------------
Powers:
1) Melee: Very High dmg, Extreme knock back, Single Target, very fast speed.
2) Melee 2: Very High dmg, low energy, extreme kb, 180 radius, very fast
3) Direct: Hypnosis, extreme dmg, low energy, long range
4) Special, Self Heal, Extreme, low energy
5) Beam, Mental Damage, Extreme dmg, medium energy, long range, very fast speed, medium accuracy
6) Direct, alteration, extreme dmg, low energy, long range
7) Direct, Hex, extreme dmg, long range,
8) Special, Teleport, extreme, no energy
9) Direct, energize others, extreme, low energy, long range.
10) Projectile, Heat, extreme dmg, low energy, small area, med accuracy, fast speed.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You could swap the direct hex for an area attack; crushing, mental or heat goes well

BentonGrey

Thanks Ok!  I missed that response, but I really appreciate your giving me your take!  That will definitely be helpful.

So, I'm still looking for ideas for the Freedom Fighters, but I'm also starting on the Legion of Superheroes.  I'll be adding HFs here and looking for feedback and suggestions.

Blok:
Spoiler

Material:     Stone

Stats:
     Strength:     7    Extraordinarily Strong
     Speed:        3    Normal
     Agility:      2    Sluggish
     Endurance:    8    Incredibly Hardy
     Energy:       5    Very Powerful

Attributes:
     Grim Resolve                 
     Flier                         
     Tough Guy                     
     Invulnerable (02 HP)         

Powers:
     blocky bash (Melee):
             Attached FX Name:    supercollider_massivepunch   

stony slam (Melee):
             Magnitude:           Extreme
             Knockback:           Extreme
             Attached FX Name:    supercollider_massivepunch   

rock and roll (Area):
             Energy Point Cost:   High
             Animation Name:      area_5                       
             Attached FX Name:    order_quake                   
             Power Flags:         Ground Targets Only

stony sweep (Melee):
             Arc:                 180 Degrees
             Animation Name:      melee_4                       

rocky rap (Melee):
             Animation Name:      melee_20                     
             Attached FX Name:    supercollider_headbutt       

block knocking (Melee):
             Animation Name:      melee_6                       
             Attached FX Name:    mechanical_smash             

silicate skin (Passive Defense):
             Block Type:         
             Success Rating:      Occasional
             Animation Name:                                   
             Attached FX Name:    sky_king_bulletproof         
                                  Radiation
                                  Crushing
                                  Piercing
                                  Energy
                                  Electrical
                                  Cold
                                  Fire
                                  Ranged
                                  Area

granite grapple (Melee):
             DamageType:          Energize
             Swiftness:           Very Slow
             Animation Name:      melee_23                     
As I understand it, Blok is a big bruiser and I gave him a variety of melee attacks and a grapple.  Not too much to him.

Bouncing Boy:
Spoiler
Stats:
     Strength:     4    Strong
     Speed:        6    Extremely Fast
     Endurance:    5    Very Hardy

Attributes:
     Flier                         
     Solid Skeleton               
     Strange Visitor               
     Armored   
     Superleaper           

Powers:
     bouncing blow (Melee):
             Attached FX Name:    bullet_pummel                 

bouncing ball (Special):
             Special Type:        Speeding Bullet     
             Energy Point Cost:   
             Animation Name:      run                           
             Attached FX Name:    bullet_speeding_bullet       

elasticity (Passive Defense):
             Block Type:         
             Animation Name:                                   
             Attached FX Name:    minuteman_vigilanceblock     
             Damage Blocked:      Crushing
                                  Piercing
                                  Energy
                                  Cold
                                  Fire
                                  Ranged

ballistic bowling (Melee):
             Attached FX Name:    thebard_prancing_punch       

bouncing barrage (Melee):

ballistic battery (Melee):

ballistic missile (Melee):
             Attached FX Name:    minuteman_patriotswing       
BB is all about agility and keeping foes off balance, so he does a lot of KB, as you might imagine.  I've given him str 4 mostly so he can do better KB.  I wish there was an attribute that would do that.  He's rubber material type, of course, and has some extra resistances to cover his resiliency.  Maybe he should have Heroic or some type of rally ability?

Brainiac 5:
Spoiler
Stats:
     Energy:       8    Incredibly Powerful

Attributes:
     Disciplined                   
     Flier                         
     Energy Shield (passive)       
     Cybernetic Brain
     12th Level Intellect (Combo: Guardian Physical, FF1 Active Defense, Utility Belt)

Powers:
     nucleonic taser (Melee):
             DamageType:          Electrical
             Attached FX Name:    manowar_electric_arc         

<empty>

stasis field (Direct):
             DamageType:          Stasis
             Magnitude:           Very High
             Animation Name:      ranged_6                     
             Attached FX Name:    elec_cage                     

quantum jump (Special):
             Special Type:        Teleport Self       
             Animation Name:      special_teleport             
             Attached FX Name:    microwave_teleportself       

brainy blow (Melee):

12th level intellect (Direct):
             DamageType:          Power Null
             Attached FX Name:    Glitch_Reprogram             

calculated attack (Melee):
             Swiftness:           Very Fast
             Attached FX Name:    libertylad_onetwo             

coluan combo (Melee):
             Animation Name:      melee_5                       

genius gadgetry (Direct):
             DamageType:          Alteration
             Animation Name:      ranged_13                     
             Attached FX Name:    Glitch_Reprogram             

mad inventions (Direct):
             DamageType:          Energy Surge
             Animation Name:      ranged_11                     
             Attached FX Name:    BMagneto_Magnetic_Shove       
Brainy I see as a utility player, but with the chops to stand up in melee thanks to his shield.  He's got a number of status effect powers and can buff his allies, though they might not appreciate it if his inventions backfire!  I feel like I've got him okay, but I'd welcome any suggestions!
God Bless

BentonGrey

Too big for one post-

Chemical King:
Spoiler
Stats:
     Energy:       6    Extremely Powerful

Attributes:
     Flier                         
     Neutralize                   
     Metabolic                     

Powers:
     ab biff (Melee):
             Attached FX Name:    theant_punch                 

chemistry (Passive Defense):
             Block Type:          Deflect
             Animation Name:      dodge_left                   
             Attached FX Name:    manbot_energyabsorb           
             Damage Blocked:      Mental
                                  Acid
                                  Cold
                                  Fire
                                  Ranged
                                  Area
                                  Direct

ck use oxygen (Area):
             DamageType:          Weaken
             Animation Name:      ranged_6                     
             Attached FX Name:    wraith_manta_radioactive     
             Power Flags:         Enemies Only

accelerate reactions (Ranged - Beam):
             DamageType:          Ignition
             Accuracy:           
             Animation Name:      ranged_10                     
             Attached FX Name:    green_flame                   

glorious love child of Fabio and Madonna reactions (Ranged - Beam):
             Attached FX Name:    green_flame_stasis           

accelerate metabolism (Special):
             Special Type:        300 Percenter       
             Energy Point Cost:   
             Attached FX Name:    eve_empathy                   

accelerate decay (Ranged - Beam):
             Energy Point Cost:   
             Attached FX Name:    aff_flame_green               

slow metabolism (Ranged - Beam):
             DamageType:          Energy Leech
             Attached FX Name:    green_flame_stasis           

increase oxidation (Ranged - Beam):
             Attached FX Name:    aff_flame_green             
I had a lot of trouble with him, but I think I'm actually pretty pleased with the result.  I got creative with his powers and gave him a lot of options that make sense.  Accelerate Reactions, Ignition / glorious love child of Fabio and Madonna Reactions: Power Null / Accelerate Cellular Decay: Acid Burn / Increase Oxidation: simple medium fire beam / Slow Metabolism: Power Null with high stun, and he can Increase Metabolism on himself for a 300 percenter, since he can apparently supercharge his own system.  I've also given him metabolic, though I'm not sure about that.  Might be a bit much.  What do y'all think?

Dawnstar:
Spoiler
Stats:
     Speed:        5    Very Fast
     Agility:      7    Extraordinarily Agile

Attributes:
     Flier                         
     Level Headed                 
     Enhanced Senses               
     Tracking                     
     Fast Flier                   

Powers:
     star smack (Melee):

wingstorm (Area):
             Animation Name:      area                         
             Attached FX Name:    wind_storm                   

flying slam (Melee):
             Attached FX Name:    manbot_jetcharge             

flying_melee (Ranged - Projectile):
             Attached FX Name:    flying_punch_p               

stellar strikes (Melee):
             Magnitude:           Very Low
             Arc:                 90 Degrees

winged fury (Melee):

agility (Passive Defense):
             Block Type:          Normal
             Animation Name:                                   
             Attached FX Name:                                 
                                  Piercing
                                  Ranged
                                  Direct

sky sprint (Special):
             Special Type:        Afterburner         
             Energy Point Cost:   
             Animation Name:      fly                           
             Attached FX Name:    flying_man_bot               

wing storm (Ranged - Cone):
             Energy Point Cost:   
             Angle:               Extreme
             Attached FX Name:    wind cone                     
She seems pretty straightforward, a flyer who can track.  I gave her the basic set of melee and flying attacks, plus some wing storm stuff.

That's the bunch that I've mostly got settled, still working on a ton of others.  I'm trying to find some more attributes for Cosmic Boy, who currently has Flier, Magnetic, and Field Commander.  Any ideas? 

So, give me some feedback, guys!
God Bless

Panther_Gunn

I'll see if I can fire up my FF computer a little later to look through what I've got.  One thing I do know is that my Chemical King hero file is rather ...... sparse.  Ideas for him & ME Lad always eluded me, and for CK I always meant to look into what kind of chemical reaction effects I could come up with.  Looks like you may have solved my problem for me.  ;)

I can send you all of the hf's for the Legion I have, if you want.  All FF1, though.
The Best There Is At What I Do......when I have the time.

BentonGrey

Yeah man, send me what you've got!  I can use all the inspiration I can get.

Defintiely.  CK was a challenge.  Even his power descriptions don't have much information or many examples.  Glad I could help!  :)  I'm not looking forward to getting to Matter Eater Lad.
God Bless

Panther_Gunn

Ok, here's my input on what you've posted -

Blok:  Our stats are pretty close.  I've got his strength at 9 & End at 8.  Instead of Grim Resolve, Tough Guy, and Invuln, I went with Solid Skeleton & Strange Visitor, along with a PD for energy (50%).  Just different ways to do the same thing.  Other than that, you just have a wider variety of attacks.

Bouncing Boy:  I'm not sure I ever got Chuck to work the way I wanted.  I kept his Speed at 2, and his Agl & End 1 lower than yours.  Rubber is already highly resistant to Crushing, so I felt Solid Skeleton was overkill (though I think it does still increase the % of resistance).  Armored ups piercing resistance, but I felt he should know that it's coming to adjust to it, and not be passive.  Not sure if his power has him being resistant to Energy.  I gave him Density Control for the KB resistance, and Living Laser, hoping to simulate a bouncing attack on multiple targets - didn't work.  I think I'll definitely want to see how yours works.

Brainy:  Again, our stats are close.  I made him 1 click weaker (he's not the best at hand-to-hand), and I'm sure you bumped up his energy (5<8) to fuel all of the extra powers you gave him.  Again, I prefer his force field to not be a passive ability.  I wouldn't expect him to have quite so many melee attacks (not counting the taser).  What's the justification for the teleport?  One thing I've got that you don't is a force field repel beam (low crushing, high KB).

CK:  Not sure I'd use Metabolic, again as it implies an all the time, passive 300%-er.  I'll go with Neutralize, though, and possibly Invertebrate, or swap them both for Iron Guts.  For Melee, I think I gave any of them a slightly better punch (if they didn't have enhanced/super strength or something) if they had graduated from the Legion Academy, and named it Legion Punch.  PD - on the passive use of powers, I might accept this one if it's down to occasional, maybe add radiation (unless this PD is being used to augment the Attributes, then nix Rad & Acid); remind me, does PD Deflect give the possibility to hit someone nearby?  Does Absorb increase the defender's Energy?  For the 300%-er, was there a classic story with him doing this?  I didn't have all of his appearances back in the day, and haven't been able to read them digitally yet.

Cosmic Boy:  I gave Rokk Heat Sensitive, as it was shown more than once that high heat can weaken magnetism.  I also gave him Strange Visitor, but I can't tell you why at the moment.  Maybe something like Level Headed?  He's always been pretty cool under fire.

Edit:  the problem with coming up with powers for CK is overlapping things with Element Lad.

BentonGrey

PG, thanks a ton for the feedback!  This is both helpful and encouraging!

First, responses and commentary, then more HFs.

Blok: I've never read a single story with him.  Is he really that strong, like Superman level?  Sounds like, otherwise, we're pretty close.  I'll probably switch to Tough Guy.

Bouncing Boy: He's a very tough one, isn't he?  Some interesting ideas.  I'm sorry that you didn't find a brilliant way to handle him that I could steal, ha, because I don't think I'm going to crack this one.  I'll need to do some experimenting with him before I decide whether your more conservative numbers might be a better fit than mine.

Brainy: Yeah, the energy might be overkill, but IF I give him a passive energy shield, he'll need that for fuel.  He'll also need some experimentation.  I'm torn on how to handle his shield, but I do like to give characters like him passive shields to aid their survivability.  If I give him the FF1 AD, that may change things.  In the few stories I've read, he seems to always have that shield active in combat...hmm...Anyway, I do probably have too much melee power for him, but it makes sense to me that a genius would take some darn karate lessons.  ;)  The teleport, ha!  It was in one of the HFs I looked at (Tommy's?) and I added it because it seemed like something he might have.  Not a good fit?  I like the idea of the FF beam.  I'll use that.  Thanks!

CK: Yeah, I felt pretty sketchy about Metabolic.  I think you're probably right there.  I think I forgot to tweak the PD.  I'll need to rethink that one.  Absorb does increase energy.  The 300% came from Comic Vine's article about him:
https://comicvine.gamespot.com/chemical-king/4005-21509/
Re-reading it, I see I need to raise the energy cost.

Cosmic Boy: Good ideas!

Okay, here are some new ones:

Dream Girl
Spoiler
Stats:
     Agility:      8    Incredibly Agile
     Energy:       6    Extremely Powerful

Attributes:
     Danger Sense                 
     Flier                         
     Precognitive                 
     Coordinator                   

Powers:
     precog punch (Melee):

precognition (Passive Defense):
             Block Type:          Reflect
             Attached FX Name:                                 
             Damage Blocked:      Mental
                                  Mystical
                                  Acid
                                  Radiation
                                  Crushing
                                  Piercing
                                  Energy
                                  Electrical
                                  Cold
                                  Fire
                                  Ranged

kicks (Melee):
             Arc:                 360 Degrees
             Animation Name:      melee_kickcombo               

visionary vanquishing (Melee):
             Attached FX Name:    libertylad_onetwo             

stunning strike (Melee):
             Stun:                Extreme
             Attached FX Name:    nazi_soldiers_melee           

brilliant tactics (Direct):
             DamageType:          Mental Blank
             Attached FX Name:    white_cerebralnormalise       

dream domination (Melee):
I guess I'm reasonably happy with her.  Basically, she's all about avoiding damage.  She's hard to hit and can surprise foes with some melee skill.

Element Lad:
Spoiler
Stats:

Attributes:
     Flier                         
     Neutralize                   
     Transmutator                 
     Disciplined                   
     Anti War Zone                 

Powers:
     el punch (Melee):

chain reaction (Ranged - Beam):
             Attached FX Name:    firestorm_fusion             

neutronium trap (Ranged - Beam):
             Attached FX Name:    pink_stasis                   

acid cloud (Area):
             Attached FX Name:    aff_boom_green               

neutronium trans (Ranged - Beam):
             DamageType:          Density Max
             Attached FX Name:    aff_radpistol_pink           

weapon trans (Ranged - Beam):
             Attached FX Name:    pink_cage
EL, on the other hand, definitely needs some work.  I like his attributes reasonably well, and I think Anti-War Zone is a fitting addition for him.  He's got a Disrupt attack, of course, an area acid burn, a cage-creating or crystal creating swap, a Density Max (like he transmuted someone's clothes to lead or something), and a power-null (like he transmuted guns to smoke).  Maybe I can add a freezing power?  Any other suggestions?
God Bless

BentonGrey

Emerald Empress:
Spoiler
Stats:
     Speed:        3    Normal
     Agility:      3    Normal

Attributes:
     Beautiful                     
     Flier                         
     Unheroic                     
     Energy Shield (passive)       
     Super TK                     

Powers:
     hypno-glare (Ranged - Beam):
             Accuracy:           
             Animation Name:      ranged_7                     
             Attached FX Name:    ffx_greenbeam                 

Emerald prison (Ranged - Beam):
             DamageType:          Stasis

melee (Melee):
             Attached FX Name:    aff_flamefist_green           

green beam (Ranged - Beam):
             DamageType:          Energy

emerald wave (Area):
             Attached FX Name:    emerald_wave                 

<empty>

Curse of Ekron (Direct):
             DamageType:          Energy Leech
             Attached FX Name:    mentor_instinctdominance     

emerald blast (Ranged - Beam):
             Animation Name:      ranged_3                     
             Attached FX Name:    aff_xbeam_green               

emerald bolts (Ranged - Projectile):
             Attached FX Name:    aff_radbolts_green           

emerald wave (Area):
             Animation Name:      area_5                       
             Attached FX Name:    aff_boom_green
I'm reasonably happy with EE.  She's got some beam attacks and a hypno beam, as well as an energy shield which isn't printing out for some reason (crashing EZHero).  I'll probably turn that into either an FF1 AD or an attribute Energy Shield.  One of the HFs I referenced had her with TK and a direct drain power.  I'm not sure if those fit or not.  Thoughts?

Ferro Lad:
Spoiler
Stats:
     Strength:     7    Extraordinarily Strong
     Endurance:    7    Extraordinarily Hardy

Attributes:
     Flier                         
     Tough Guy                     
     Invulnerable (02 HP)         
     Strange Visitor               
     Neutralize                   

Powers:
     ferro fist (Melee):
             Attached FX Name:    manbot_punch                 

iron headbutt (Melee):
             Animation Name:      melee_10                     
             Attached FX Name:    supercollider_headbutt       

iron slam (Melee):

shrug off  (Passive Defense):
             Block Type:         
             Success Rating:      Rare
             Animation Name:                                   
             Attached FX Name:    minuteman_vigilanceblock     
                                  Crushing
                                  Piercing
                                  Energy
                                  Electrical
                                  Cold
                                  Fire
                                  Ranged
                                  Area

iron ram (Special):
             Special Type:        Speeding Bullet     
             Energy Point Cost:   
             Attached FX Name:    bullet_speeding_bullet       

metallic mauling (Melee):

iron attack (Melee):
             Animation Name:      melee_8                       
I'd like more for Ferro, but I'm limited by keys and the character himself.  Is he normally slower and less agile in his metal form?  As is, he's got the standard BG slate of melee powers, more or less, a stunning one, a power one, an area one, and a combo one.

Karate Kid:
Spoiler
Stats:

Attributes:
     Danger Sense                 
     Flier                         
     Acrobatic                     

Disciplined                   

Powers:
     karate blow (Melee):

exploit weakness (Melee):

fists of fury (Melee):
             Animation Name:      melee_10                     

combat reflexes (Passive Defense):
             Attached FX Name:                                 
                                  Piercing
                                  Ranged

inner power (Special):
             Special Type:        300 Percenter       
             Energy Point Cost:   
             Animation Name:      active_defense               
             Attached FX Name:    eve_empathy                   

dragon punch (Melee):
             Animation Name:      melee_8                       
             Power Flags:         Up Knockback

whirling devil (Melee):
             Arc:                 360 Degrees
             Animation Name:      melee_9                       
             Attached FX Name:    shadow_kick                   

spinning kicks (Melee):
             Attached FX Name:    shadow_kick
I'm pretty happy with KK.  He's got my more or less standard martial artist build, though I'm limited by keys.  All of his strikes are very fast, and he's got a combo, an upward KB punch, a 360 attack, and a 180 attack.  My idea for him is that he might serve as crowd control, and his 300% gives him the ability to hurt heavies.
God Bless

BentonGrey

Last but not least, here's Lightning Lad:
Spoiler
Stats:

Attributes:
     Charged                       
     Flier                         
     Crack Shot                   
     Hot Tempered                 
     Current Sapper               

Powers:
     lightning bolt (Ranged - Beam):
             Animation Name:      ranged_10                     
             Attached FX Name:    Electro_Beam_M_Bolt           

eletric punch (Melee):
             Attached FX Name:    manowar_electric_arc         

lightning blast (Ranged - Beam):
             Attached FX Name:    aff_xbeam_yellow             

Eletrical absorbation (Passive Defense):
             Success Rating:      Almost Always
             Animation Name:                                   
             Attached FX Name:                                 
             Damage Blocked:      Electrical
                                  Ranged
                                  Area
                                  Direct

lightning wave (Area):
             Animation Name:      area_2                       
             Attached FX Name:    Electro_Area_P_Explosion     

lightning storm (Ranged - Projectile):
             Energy Point Cost:   
             Animation Name:      ranged_13                     
             Attached FX Name:    electro_bolt                 

charged fist (Melee):
             Attached FX Name:    Electro_Melee_Fist           

chain lightning (Ranged - Projectile):
             Animation Name:      ranged_12                     
             Attached FX Name:    Electro_Projectile_Chain     
             Power Flags:         Chained
I like his build okay, but I feel like he could go with one more power.  He's got a medium, no cost beam, a very high, medium cost beam with high KB, and some chain lightning.  I've also got a 7 contact projectile that is a function of the mesh.  I'd prefer like, 3-5.  I tried to make the best of it, though.  He's also got a 'space clearing' melee attack and a more space clearing area attack.  Does his brother, Lightning Lord, essentially have the same powers?  I'm probably just going to copy his HF in that case.

Now, there are a couple more that I worked on that still need yet more work.  I welcome any ideas on how to make Invisible Kid interesting or useful.

Also, about Mano, I've seen HFs that give him ranged attacks, and some sources online say he can fire energy beams, but I've never seen that.  What do y'all think, and how do you make his HF interesting instead of just one crazy power?
God Bless

daglob

I've always believed that Lightning Lord was at least Lighting Lad's equal, with Lighting Lad being a better combatant and Lightning Lord willing to overpower his attacks and "go for the jugular". This would make him heck in a fight, but he wouldn't be able to keep it up for long at a time. He would also go off "half cocked", and probably have Berserk as a disadvantage.

Panther_Gunn

Some quick input, as I'll not be able to dig deep into these for a couple days.

CK:  His Who's Who write-up is very brief, pretty much the first paragraph in the CV Silver Age write up section.  I don't know how much of a retcon the first part of his origin is on the CV page, so I also don't know when he was shown upping his speed & strength, but I would agree it would be pretty draining on him.

Blok's strength, I might have taken that from a write-up of the old DC Heroes RPG, and I'm pretty sure it was from an official product, not something someone extropolated (e.g.: Ben Reilly).  My hf strength scale has Superman at the top @ 10, and I base most of my stuff on Pre-Crisis stats.  I don't think it will unbalance anything if you don't have him quite so high, but I'm pretty sure he is pretty darn strong.  (and I always felt he was a better, more natural addition to the Legion than Tellus or Quislet)

Brainy:  I don't recall him using anything that would simulate a teleport power, definitely not on a regular basis.

Dreamy:  I think she's another Academy graduate, and she is definitely skilled in hand-to-hand combat if it comes to it, she just doesn't like getting to that point (more time getting rid of calluses).  She's also the only one who's had the concentration, and spent the time, to get a little more out of the element the flight rings are made of.  In extremis (coincidentally the same story she had to roundhouse someone), she was able to use the ring to cause some metal decking in front of her to lift up as an impromptu shield.  Since her precog powers mostly (only?) work when she's sleeping, giving her any kind of active precog powers is a bit of a stretch, but I think needed to really make even passably playable.

Element Lad:  I really liked him, so take a close look at his hf I sent.  I think he'd more likely drop an intertron dome over someone rather than do something that equates to a Density Max attack (and that's Star Boy's gig).

Empress:  Up her strength.  She's been shown to have vastly higher strength than normal folks (probably augmented by TK, like Conner Kent), including (but not limited to) breaking Sun Boy's jaw with just her gripping strength without any real exertion.  I doubt there's a way to work it in, even with scripting, but if the Eye can be separated from her (or tricked into believing she's not there), it *will* go berserk & just start lashing out.

Ferro:  I don't think he slows down at all when he's changed, he's just really strong & nearly invulnerable (might be able to survive the vacuum of space).  If you could figure out a way to have him switch between his normal skin & his iron one, that would be a nice touch.

Karate Kid:  Remember, Val has mastered *every* form of martial arts in the known galaxy, enabling him to chop his way through a spaceship bulkhead door and physically fight Superboy to a standstill (at least for a limited time).  Think about throws, pressure points, using an opponents strength against them, as well as just karate chops.

Lightning Lad:  He's got some leadership skills (but not as much as Rokk), and can be a bit of a hot-head (but not as bad as Sun Boy), but he will knuckle down & get the job done.  His brother Mekt, on the other hand, tries very hard to be in control, but he can (and will) lash out extremely violently if pushed too hard.  Mekt might have more raw power than Garth, but he's more likely to blow his wad in a tantrum or showing off, as daglob pointed out.  People from their planet are normally born twins, but Mekt wasn't, so he lacked a sense of connection that everyone else had, which has probably left him a bit unstable.

One bonus to using the Time Trapper is being able to include old versions of the characters, in their old costumes, or even using the old flight belts, before Mon-El "introduced" the new element for the flight rings.

BentonGrey

PG, once again, this is tons of great stuff!  I've already made some adjustments (dropped Brainy's teleport for example), and will continue to consider others.  Thanks man, you're a huge help!  I'll give a more detailed response later, but a quick question:

So, your HF for EL has a flamethrower attack, with him presumably transmuting oxygen to something highly reactive or something.  That makes sense, but would you, as an EL fan, prefer/feel it would be appropriate if A) this was a stronger attack (High) that cost energy, or B) was his base attack power, (Medium) and free?  Essentially, I try to give everyone a free power.  Do you think it should be this one or another?

A throw for KK seems like an excellent idea!

Also, I wasn't going to bother giving Ferro Lad two forms, but you've made me change my mind.  That kind of detail is really exactly what the DCUG is all about.  :D

Another one: Is there any way for Matter Eater Lad to 'consume' objects for energy?  I can't think of a way to do that, even with FFX.
:EDIT: Okay, I've partially cracked this.  Metal Eater will passively leach HP from metal in the neighborhood, and I can set the benefit to be energy, which will in turn fun his Metabolic Strength, but can anyone think of any way to do this ACTIVELY?
God Bless

Cyber Burn

Quote from: BentonGrey on June 05, 2019, 03:19:52 AM
Another one: Is there any way for Matter Eater Lad to 'consume' objects for energy?  I can't think of a way to do that, even with FFX.
:EDIT: Okay, I've partially cracked this.  Metal Eater will passively leach HP from metal in the neighborhood, and I can set the benefit to be energy, which will in turn fun his Metabolic Strength, but can anyone think of any way to do this ACTIVELY?

What about a Direct Attack using Energy Leach? Is there any kind of combo that could be done using that?

BentonGrey

Well, that could be part of something, but what we really need is some way to do the same to objects instead of characters.  I was just looking through FFX and came across Assimilator, which lets you do that...but you get new powers instead of energy or health.  Hmm...

I've gotten to Nemesis Kid, and sheesh!  The Legion is just FULL of power problems, isn't it?  How in the world can I properly represent the guy who has the power of plot?  The HF I have gives him Mutator, which would sort-of-kind-of work, except that it is random as opposed to responsive.  I suppose the only way to do this properly is to come up with a couple of different power packages that provide counters to your standard powersets and then set his AI to switch to them based on what enemies he's facing.  Anyone have any better ideas (which might prevent me from having to do all that work :P )?

Anyway, I've come up with what I think are solid versions of ME and Mano.  See what y'all think.

Mano:
Spoiler
Stats:

Attributes:
     Atomic Touch                 
     Neutralize                   
     Body Armor (10 points)       
     Combat Skill: Master
     Temperature Control           

Powers:
     burning strike (Melee):
             Attached FX Name:    eldiablo_flamingfist         

Hand of Doom (Melee):
             DamageType:          Radiation
             Attached FX Name:    Electro_Melee_Spear           

heat blast (Ranged - Beam):
             Attached FX Name:    mechanical_flamecannon       

fiery fury (Melee):

shockwave (Ranged - Projectile):
             Attached FX Name:    avalanche_tremors             
                                  Proximity

burning blows (Melee):

wave of doom (Area):
             Attached FX Name:    sky_king_blastoff             

doom shield (Passive Defense):
             Animation Name:      melee_a                       
             Attached FX Name:    block_glow                   
                                  Crushing
                                  Piercing
                                  Energy
                                  Electrical
             Attacks Blocked:     Ranged
So, I'm actually pretty pleased with him.  I dug up some of his appearances and saw some different uses of his powers that made him more interesting and adaptable.  So, apparently he can control how much damage his hand does, so I figured he might do that to accomplish different effects.  He's got a solid, heat damaging free attack, as well as a low cost extreme attack for his main power, but he can also create shockwaves that hit ground targets, 'heat' the air to create a flamethrower effect, and disintegrate the ground in an area attack.  I'm particularly pleased with his PD, which uses a really quick melee anim and a small FX to have him 'disintegrate' incoming projectiles.  This gives him some different options in combat and should make him more interesting, while also being accurate.  With the exception of the heat beam, everything he's got comes from the comics I read.  In terms of attributes, I gave him Combat Skill to reflect the disconnect between his damage potential and his strength.  I'm not 100% on the Body Armor.  I might go with something else to reflect his toughness.  It will take some testing.

Matter Eater Lad:
Spoiler
Stats:

Attributes:
     Flier                         
     Metal Eater                   
     Iron Guts                     
     Metabolic Strength           
     Wrestler                     

Powers:
     lsh_me melee (Melee):

devour object (Melee):
             Animation Name:      melee_13                     
             Attached FX Name:    trex_chomp                   

lsh_me super speed (Special):
             Special Type:        Sprint             
             Energy Point Cost:   
             Attached FX Name:    bullet_sprint                 

lsh_me matter eating (Passive Defense):
             Attached FX Name:    manbot_energyabsorb           
                                  Radiation
                                  Crushing
                                  Piercing
                                  Energy
                                  Electrical
                                  Cold
                                  Fire
             Attacks Blocked:     Ranged

appetizing attack (Melee):

mighty mouth (Melee):

iron jaw (Melee):
             DamageType:          Energize
             Swiftness:           Very Slow

eat weapon (Melee):
I'm less satisfied with ME, but I think I've still created a pretty decent interpretation of him.  His Metal Eater will feed his Metabolic Strength, which won't amount to much unless he has objects feeding him.  I am considering giving him Energy Tanks to increase the importance of that.  He's got a powerful melee ability to reflect his ability to bite through anything, and he's got a hold, plus the Wrestler attribute, so he can bite on and hold an enemy, which I thought was fun.  I've also given him a Power Null under the auspice of 'Eating Weapons.'  I think this build makes him a surprisingly effective character.

So, what do y'all think?

I'm currently working on Mordru, trying to figure out just how powerful he should be.  Any suggestions are welcome!
God Bless