Looking for help with the Nemesis ability in FFX

Started by mocachild, March 30, 2018, 07:34:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mocachild

I hope I'm not bothering people with my posts.  I'm just trying to understand and get all the wonderful mods running correctly.  I have one of my characters with the Nemesis ability.  I created another character to be the Nemesis.  However, when the Nemesis spawns, it spawns under my control.  Is this a mistake on my part.  I can't figure out how to fix that.  Thanks so much for everyone's time and patience with a newbie.   :D

spydermann93

That sounds very strange. I haven't used that attribute in ages, but if you can upload the hero file and their nemesis, I can try and see what's up.

mocachild

thanks a bunch.  As a neophyte to all this, how do I go about uploading the files for you to see them?  Sorry about my ignorance. 

spydermann93

You can just use a file hosting site like MediaFire. Once you upload, you can post the link to the files here.

I'd just zip them up (use 7-zip to put them all in one file) and upload that file.

mocachild

ok.  so here is my first ever try at linking anything.  I'm not sure I did it the way you suggested, but I hope this works ok anyway.  I just want to say thank you for being willing to take the time to look at this.  I really appreciate it!  You guys on here are amazing.  The hero is War Cricket and the nemesis is Exterminator.  Let me know if I screwed things up or if these are not the correct files you needed.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/k1hoq8pt7r7hj6h/exterminator_t8-8_.hero
http://www.mediafire.com/file/o918659vfcvikpy/war_cricket.hero

spydermann93

Yeah, it definitely looks like he spawns as a "hero" in my game, too.

I wonder if the nemesis has to be built-in for the game to recognize him as an enemy. I'm looking at the code (can be found in the Mission/Scripts/ffx.py at line 12275), and it looks like the nemesis is given an AI to be on the enemy team, but it doesn't look like he functions like that.

If you play as "Eve," you'll see that Pan (her nemesis) spawns as intended. He's built in and labeled as a "villain," so the game probably knows to spawn him as one.

MAKE SURE YOU BACK UP YOUR MOD'S DAT FILES BEFORE MOVING FORWARD! It's very important to get in the habit of making backups before modding anything. That way, if you mess something up, you can go back to what you had with no problem.

If you downloaded "EZHero," then you can actually make your custom characters built-in by opening the hero file and clicking the "Send to Dat" button. Set his "Template Class" as "GAME_OBJ_VILLIAN" and export him.

Then move your custom hero file somewhere safe so that way they don't interfere with each other.

Load up the game and hopefully it should work.

If you can't figure something out or if I wasn't specific enough, feel free to ask more questions.

PS: Nice characters! They were pretty fun to run around with :P

mocachild

ok, so I'm having trouble getting it to work.  When I click "Send to Dat" where should I set the path for it to be sent to?  I've tried sending it to the Data folder, but this didn't change anything so I guess I need some more specifics.

spydermann93

Quote from: mocachild on March 31, 2018, 04:49:43 PM
ok, so I'm having trouble getting it to work.  When I click "Send to Dat" where should I set the path for it to be sent to?  I've tried sending it to the Data folder, but this didn't change anything so I guess I need some more specifics.

Send it to your mod's path. For example, if you want to use it in FFX3, you'd set your "DAT Files Folder" to something like "C:\Program Files (x86)\Irrational Games\Freedom Force vs The 3rd Reich\ffx3"

mocachild

the only Data folder that I have is \Freedom Force vs. The 3rd Reich\Data

none of the mod folders have a \Data folder in them anywhere.

On that note, I did try to send it to \Freedom Force vs. The 3rd Reich\ffx3.  It said it sent it.  I booted up the game and still no luck.  I'll try sending it to my patcity folder too and see if that changes anything.

spydermann93

Quote from: mocachild on March 31, 2018, 05:59:42 PM
the only Data folder that I have is \Freedom Force vs. The 3rd Reich\Data

none of the mod folders have a \Data folder in them anywhere.

Yeah, sorry. I should have been more clear. The mod folder's themselves ARE data folders. You can tell by the fact that they have .dat files in them. When you launch your game through the ffx3 shortcut, for example, there's a parameter that tells the game to use that folder as it's primary data folder. That's why the transfer went through for you.

Quote from: mocachild on March 31, 2018, 05:59:42 PMOn that note, I did try to send it to \Freedom Force vs. The 3rd Reich\ffx3.  It said it sent it.  I booted up the game and still no luck.  I'll try sending it to my patcity folder too and see if that changes anything.

One way that you can check to see if Exterminator has been imported to your mod folder is to use the "FFV3R Mod Tools" located here: http://www.alexff.com/goodies.php

Once you get the tools installed, launch "FFEdit." This will bring up a mod tool that will allow you to modify the game's data files.

Once you open up FFEdit, you'll see something like this:

Spoiler

This is where you'll decide where FFEdit will read your mod's data.

Fill the fields as specified below (may be slightly different depending on where you installed your game):

Primary Data Path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Irrational Games\Freedom Force vs The 3rd Reich\ffx3
Secondary Data Path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Irrational Games\Freedom Force vs The 3rd Reich\ffx3
NIF Library Path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Irrational Games\Freedom Force vs The 3rd Reich\Data\Art
Sound Path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Irrational Games\Freedom Force vs The 3rd Reich\Sounds
Game EXE: C:\Program Files (x86)\Irrational Games\Freedom Force vs The 3rd Reich\ffvt3r.exe
Level Editor EXE: C:\Program Files (x86)\Irrational Games\Freedom Force vs The 3rd Reich\ffvt3rEdit.exe
Python Editor: C:\Windows\Notepad.exe

In the example above, my game is installed to the C:\Program Files (x86)\Irrational Games\Freedom Force vs The 3rd Reich directory and I want FFEdit to read the data files in my ffx3 mod folder.

Once you enter that information, go to the "Characters" tab and make sure that Exterminator exists. He should have the same name as your hero file. If he's there, then he should be in the game. If he isn't, then he was imported to the wrong place.

mocachild

i followed your instructions (thanks so much by-the-way).  Loaded FFEdit and even changed the path to each of the mods I'm using the characters in.  FFEdit saw the character in all 3.  I also checked the templates and it was still set to GAME_OBJ_HERO.  I tried changing it 3 different times in EZHero for each of the Data folders.  It never changed.  I manually changed it in FFEdit.  It now says that exterminator is GAME_OBJ_VILLAIN.  However, when I tried it in game, he stills spawns under my control.  The game seems to see him both as a hero and a villain.  In the rumble room, as I was fighting the different waves of vilains, he spawned under my control.  After I defeated all the villains, the game was waiting for me to defeat Exterminator before it would move on. 

If it's not fixable, it's not a big deal.  I'm just interested in seeing if I can get it to work. 

I want to iterate again how much I appreciate all your patience and help.   :D

spydermann93

That's so strange. I know when I used Eve before, Pan would never show up as my ally, but perhaps my team was filled when he spawned?

Sorry that didn't work. When I get more time, I will try seeing what I can do. I'm no python expert, but it shouldn't be too difficult to fix it.

EDIT: As for him being imported as a hero, must be a bug with EZHero. Easy enough fix with FFEdit, fortunately :P