FFX 3.3 knockback Not working for custom characters

Started by mocachild, March 28, 2018, 08:08:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mocachild

Hello,
I'm hoping I put this in the correct forum area.
I'm very new to using mods and meshes etc.  I was able to get FFX 3.3 going and am having a blast with it so far.  I did notice, however, that after making a custom character who had a knockback attack (melee) that the attack wasn't doing any knockback to any enemies.  While right clicking on an looking at the attack it says "KB None".  So I exited and checked the character file but the attack definitely had knockback on it.  I tried recreating the attack and also tried using different melee attacks and adding knockback just to check.  Not a single melee knockback will function.  The character's area attack that has knockback works just fine.  It seems to be the melee attacks.  I'm not sure if ranged knockback works, I haven't checked it yet. 

The campaign characters work just fine.  It seems to be only custom characters.  Does anybody have any ideas on what may be the issue?

Edit:  Ok, so I've done some more testing and here is what I've found.  If I give a character extreme knockback, it tells me in game, when right clicking on an enemy, that my knockback is LOW.  If I overcharge it, it bumps up to MEDIUM.  If I have less than extreme, it says there is no knockback.  Also, Medium and Low won't knockback even if overpowered.  It also seems to be doing this to a lesser degree with projectile attacks.

Edit 2: It seems that it is not an issue with FFX as I thought.  It does the same thing in the regular FFvTR.  I'm wondering if knockback is more complex than it appears during character creation.  I'm going to see if strength makes a difference with knockback.  Also, I'm going to check and see if power damage or type of attack makes a difference.

Edit 3:  So it would seem that Strength makes a HUGE difference in Knockback (makes sense, just wish it would explain that in the character creator).  Also, it would appear that different targets have different levels of resistance to Knockback.  For example, at extreme knockback on a projectile power, civilians register as HIGH KB, Minuteman registers as MEDIUM KB, Thugs at MEDIUM, Pinstripe at LOW and the gangster goons at LOW.  With Extreme KB on a melee power at 8 strength, Pinstripe was at MEDIUM, Thugs at HIGH.  Those are some of the things I've noticed.  It seems that LOW and Medium KB have very almost no use at strengths 1-5 ish.  Projectile KB has some value at medium but you would need to overpower it for many enemies for it to work. 

Cyber Burn

Welcome aboard mocachild, if you haven't already done so, I recommend joining the Freedom Force Resources yahoo group that you'll find in my signature. Once there, look for the "Damage Output" by spydermann93. This stuff is out of my knowledge base, but maybe this could help you out a bit.

spydermann93

Well, seems like you got it figured out :P

Since 170 lbs is the standard weight for Flesh characters, you won't see any KB if you have 3 or less STR and a KB of High or less at level 3 for the power. You can kind of subvert this by giving characters lower weight, but you run into the problem that projectiles have a strength of 4 when considering their KB power.

Any character above 520 lbs will also have a hard time being knocked back more than a few meters. It's just how Irrational balanced KB, I guess. Kind of unfortunate, really.

And yeah, the value that tells you how hard it is to knock a character back (thugs at MEDIUM, civilians at HIGH, etc) gives you the idea of how far an attack will knock them back, if at all.

Note: Sometimes "NONE" can mean that a character can be knocked back, but sometimes they won't. Take a level 1 melee attack with extreme KB from a STR 3 character hitting a character that weighs 150 lbs, for example. The attack will say NONE, but sometimes the opponent will get knocked back. It's just a very low chance.

EDIT: The file Cyber is referring to will tell you the damage output for every power magnitude at every strength for melee and projectiles. Unfortunately, I have not compiled a list of what each KB vaule amounts to at each weight class simply because it's way too varied. It just takes some fiddling around, though.

Also, since you're new, try checking out this site: http://www.alexff.com/

Lots of great meshes, skins, and tools that will help you customize your game a lot more. I highly recommend getting Alex's EZHero and EZFX tools. They are an absolute must if you haven't gotten them already.

daglob

In addition, if you check out the FF Living List, there are links to all the known sites with FF content, links to a bunch of archives that still have stuff, and a links to all the Yahoo Groups I could find.

http://freedomreborn.net/forums/index.php?topic=58687.msg799114#msg799114

There is also a link to a similar page by Spyderman.

mocachild

wow!  thanks so much!  I will check into all of it!  glad to be here with all of you.  :D