Popular things you never "got"?

Started by HarryTrotter, November 21, 2017, 06:11:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HarryTrotter

Did you watch the version with the Unicorn dream?

https://youtu.be/D6OT77T7YlE
HBomberguy did a whole thing about the various cuts.
''Even our origin stories have gone sour.''
Jon Farmer

Silver Shocker

If that's the "Final Cut", no, I know it's on Canadian Netflix (it took years to go up) but I never got to it, as I left off on the first 39 minutes of the Director's cut (I checked my notes) and didn't finish it.
See, when my peer brought up he wanted to watch 2049, I tried to do research on which "cut" of BR you should watch in anticipation for the sequel, and didn't get a very helpful answer, so my solution was to watch all three (technically there are at least four "cuts" of Blade Runner, but I wasn't going to try that hard) It didn't quite work out the way I intended, but since the infamous subject of debate isn't addressed in any specific way in 2049 - I didn't feel particularly penalized for it.

Other things I appreciated for sure after getting into it - Rutger Hauer as Roy Batty of course, who has no doubt the most magnetic and memorable performance and serves as the heart and soul of the film and its themes. James Hong, who's villain in the 2000's Teen Titans cartoon was undeniably based on his single unsettling scene in BR. William Sanderson as J.F Sabastian, as I can now appreciate on a rewatch that Sanderson's character and performance in the classic Batman: TAS storyline "Heart of Steel" was modelled directly on him. And Brion James' unnerving Leon Kowalski, who for some reason has a character in Star Fox of all things named after him, one of their many Sci-Fi shoutouts.

Now that I'm on the subject. I did enjoy 2049. It was quite cool to see the original sequence make it into the sequel in the form of Batista's scene, I liked the Force-Awakens-style soft reboot to it (I kinda wish Ford was kept out of the marketing entirely - I seem to recall RLM took the same approach) and the Tarken -esque cameo, in my opinion, works better in this particular film, since it's kept very brief and uncanny-valley is pretty consistently an intentional trope where lifelike robots (with people with suppressed humanity ala Rei Ayanami) are concerned. It's also the closest I've come so far to liking Jared Leto, because as an eccentric weirdo, he's kinda in the pocket. He's kinda like Jesse Eisenberg's Lex Luthor, except he's not grafted onto an embarrassing bastardization of an otherwise awesome pre-established character. I'm also ok with it because he's the successor to Tyrell, who was also rather eccentric in his own right.

I also appreciated Ryan Gosling's character's distinction to Deckard - Deckard seemed dismissive of Replicants for most of the runtime of the original film, while Gosling viewed them as a kind of video game-esque addictive escapism. Other similar bits of world building (on real physical sets - how nifty!) helped to give a sense, once again, of what role new technology played in that world.

The only specific problem I have with the sequel is a pretty notable one - Ford and Edward James Olmos seemed to have either given up on the actual voices and mannerisms they originally gave Deckard and Gaffe, which helped give the original its very unique flavor - or they've forgotten due to a lack of attachment to the property. It makes it a bit harder to view them as the original characters at all.

I should really get around to watching the anime shorts sometime - I'd probably enjoy them immensely as I enjoyed Akira (which I've been told shared similar influences to BR - that of European comics artist Mobius), particularly on a recent rewatch on streaming when I was older, wiser, and more capable of understanding the plot beyond "What the hell did I just watch and how much DID they have to condense to make this a movie?") and Ghost in the Shell, which seemed to take inspiration from BR so much in certain regards it's arguably a spiritual adaptation.

2049, I should mention, is by the same director as the Dune remake - he also directed the very good Prisoners, which I still maintain to this day that Jackman should have at least been nominated for an Oscar for - it also features an admirable turn by Jake "Mysterio" Gyllanhaal, and also features Paul "upcoming creepy serial killer version of the Riddler" Dano)

As for mister HBomberguy, I'll definitely have to check out his video, because I've been impressed by some of his other work. I found his joke about selling houses to Aquaman during a flooding hilarious for how well how delivered, quotable, and random it was (to this day, I have no idea why he was chopping his way through the wall with an axe like he was Jack Torrance or something - I guess he thought it was funnier that way? If so, points for effort - that must have taken some work to set up) and his video on the BBC's Sherlock was VERY impressive and came very close to making me change my opinion on the show - in particular his reaction to that business with the boomerang and how flamboyant Andrew Scott's Moriatry was, both absolutely hilarious. And I 100% agree that the production values for the wedding episode were absurd. And I kinda agree with him about how Moffett's run on Doctor Who did kinda get caught up a bit too much in its own hype (still better than the current era, that's for damn sure - no I haven't seen the New Years special, though I know what happens to it - I haven't been in a hurry to watch it yet, because I'm sure I'll find it boring as sin).
"Now you know what you're worth? Then go out and get what you're worth, but you gotta be willing to take the hits. And not pointing fingers, saying you're not where you want to be because of him, or her, or anybody. Cowards do that, and THAT AIN'T YOU. YOU'RE BETTER THAN THAT!"
~Rocky Balboa

HarryTrotter

"Sell them to who,Ben? Aquaman?!" Became something of a meme. Im not really sure why. Its random,so its funny,I guess.

In one issue of Hitman,a villain dressed as Santa tries reciting the "tears in the rain" speech to get Tommy to spare his life.  :D
"But a Blade Runner fan was this miserable heel / And Rutger's great speech from the end he did steal!"

Back on the topic...MMO games. Yes,I played a lot of WoW in highschool,but these days I just don't get the point of a game you can't ever finish.
Jon Farmer

Silver Shocker

QuoteBack on the topic...MMO games. Yes,I played a lot of WoW in highschool,but these days I just don't get the point of a game you can't ever finish.

MMO's are something of a guilty pleasure to me. I know to a degree that they're not really that good, are far too time consuming, are not nearly as satisfying as they should be, and that time could go toward other, shorter, far more satisfying games. And yet, that gameplay/reward loop can be addictive. I like to watch a lot of internet videos and such while I run missions.
"Now you know what you're worth? Then go out and get what you're worth, but you gotta be willing to take the hits. And not pointing fingers, saying you're not where you want to be because of him, or her, or anybody. Cowards do that, and THAT AIN'T YOU. YOU'RE BETTER THAN THAT!"
~Rocky Balboa

BentonGrey

MMOs, that's one for me.  I've never liked their dominant gameplay, and I hate subscription fees.

And no, the modern-day is far more ridiculous than the most manufactured and drama-tastic reality show.   :P
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman
Check out mymods and blog!
https://bentongrey.wordpress.com/

HarryTrotter

As for the click/reward loop there are enough Diablo clones around.

QuoteAnd no, the modern-day is far more ridiculous than the most manufactured and drama-tastic reality show.   :P

Since the comparisons to 1984 and Black Mirror wore out...we live in a combination of Brazil and Idiocrarcy.
Jon Farmer

Silver Shocker

Sounds about right.

1984 is my favorite book of all time, BTW (and they just announced a tv adaptation of it, oh boy oh boy)....however what got me to read it was discovering that my all time-favorite Star Trek: TNG storyline, "Chain of Command" was partially inspired by it.
~Rocky Balboa

Nyte Dragon

Quote from: HarryTrotter on January 13, 2021, 07:40:05 AM
Not a fan of Jagermeister either.

I loved Jager back in the olden days, but I haven't drank anything in nearly 16 years (I stopped just a bit before my daughter was born).

As for popular things I never got into :

• Friends - I just couldn't get into it at all.
  • Seinfeld - Was it ever actually funny?
  • Family Guy - At first it was 'okay', but I just never fanboyed into it. (I do admit I love the Star Wars episodes.
  • Teen Titans Go! - It took me a bit to get into the Teen Titans cartoon, but I grew to like it. But 'Go!' needed to go. Thank goodness for Young Justice.
Hate is always foolish and love is always wise.
 ⁓Doctor Who

BentonGrey

Was Seinfeld ever funny?!  Haha, ND, I'm afraid there must be something wrong with you!  :D
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman

Silver Shocker

QuoteWas Seinfeld ever funny?!

IMO it was and it still is. "It's gold, Jerry. GOLD!"

QuoteBut 'Go!' needed to go. Thank goodness for Young Justice.

Needed to, you say? Go isn't going anywhere. It's such a hit on CN that it's success is a running gag. This season alone had crossovers with Thundercats, DC Super Hero Girls, Beetlejuice and Freakazoid! (including the return of the great David Warner AND Ed Asner- I have GOT to see that!)

Young Justice....I'm looking forward to the return of it next season, because Outsiders was about 20-40% YJ.
~Rocky Balboa

BentonGrey

I'm with ND on GO, despite his obviously suspect judgment.  ;)
God Bless

HarryTrotter

Family Guy was funny for the first 5-6 season. These days...it sucks.

The new reality shows are the IRL streams. And its actually worse,since that is sadly- reality. For those unfamiliar,its usually some untalented, unfunny douchebag with a GoPro being an idiot in public with text-to-speech chat enabled. What could possibly go wrong? (A lot,and someone gets arrested most times)
Jon Farmer

Silver Shocker

Quote from: HarryTrotter on January 15, 2021, 07:30:42 AM
Family Guy was funny for the first 5-6 season. These days...it sucks.

The new reality shows are the IRL streams. And its actually worse,since that is sadly- reality. For those unfamiliar,its usually some untalented, unfunny douchebag with a GoPro being an idiot in public with text-to-speech chat enabled. What could possibly go wrong? (A lot,and someone gets arrested most times)

Not my field of expertise. And doesn't sound like something I'd particularly enjoy watching/listening to.
~Rocky Balboa

HarryTrotter

I had a similar discussion with a friend. He thinks The Wire is the greatest show ever,I found it too slow and gave up after a few episodes.
And I might have said it before,but I never got into the Battlestar Galactica reboot. I found everyone there annoying and unlikeable. Except Captain Adama tbf. He was cool.
Jon Farmer

Silver Shocker

QuoteI had a similar discussion with a friend. He thinks The Wire is the greatest show ever,I found it too slow and gave up after a few episodes.

I've also heard that some consider The Wire the greatest show ever. So I take it, based on your assessment, it's got nothing on Breaking Bad and Better Call Saul?

I hear that the actual greatest tv show however, is Deadwood. Maybe, but I think we can agree Ian McShane is the man regardless. He's even really good in that one episode of Game of Thrones he was in, and had no fondness for the material whatsoever.

QuoteAnd I might have said it before,but I never got into the Battlestar Galactica reboot. I found everyone there annoying and unlikeable. Except Captain Adama tbf. He was cool.
Bill Adama was indeed the man.
The BsG reboot, I fully concede, was never going to be everyone's cup of tea. It's bleak on top on bleak with a side order of bleak and a happy meal toy with "bleak" written on it. It's like Ronald D. Moore, after he finished Deep Space Nine, had his "Kill Em All" Tomino phase. It does feel quite a bit like DS9 with the leash taken right off, and I quite liked it for that reason.

Heck, I even liked the Black Market episode. I didn't really understand why people hated that episode.

And then it gets really weird at the very end. Like Lost weird.

I tried to watch Caprica, but I didn't get far. Anyway.

QuoteHBomberguy did a whole thing about the various cuts.

Finally got around to putting this on. It's brilliant. And has a delightfully topical bit about The Snyder Cut:

"Now I quite like a lot of Zach Snyder's films myself -- the first step is admitting you have a problem [...]"

:roll: Also: Tony Stark: .......Agreed.

"[...] And I'd LOVE to see his version of Justice League, and also UN-SEE the version Joss Whedon 'WITTY DIALOGUE'D'" himself all over.

Ooh, throwing some shade there. Funny thing is, I think we kinda know the Whedon Cut will in fact probably turn out to be the better version. First step is admittance, after all.

Oh, yeah, I just remembered. Here's one I never "got":

THE RAID.

Everyone seemed to love The Raid. But I was almost completely unimpressed. It was like Dredd if it lacked any of the stuff that made Dredd fun or interesting. It's near-plotless, takes place in one location, features ok-pretty good fighting, and that's it. The only part of the movie I genuinely loved was the stunt with the propane tank and the fridge. That was amazing.

The Raid 2 is better, but not by much. It's better merely because it actually has a plot. Other than that, it's mostly a bunch of prison inmates wrestling in the mud.
--------------------------------------------------------------
Since comics came up much later in the thread, here's one I don't think I've ever ranted about:

Giffen/Dematteis Justice League International/Europe.

I read a bunch of this back in the day from the bargain bins, and I never got why people loved it. It's Justice League, so I enjoyed it to some degree, and the more serious plots I could get into (same with Joe Kelly's Deadpool run for me) but the comedy doesn't work for me at all. It's not really that funny, either the entire cast or almost the entire cast are turned into caricatures of themselves, I think the art sucks, the book did an absolute hatchet job on the characterization of Blue Beetle and Booster Gold that eventually cost Ted his life and that Booster is still struggling to shake off, they tried to explain away Dr. Light being out of character by claiming it was the effect of a brand of soda she drank, and probably some other problems I forgot about.

On the other hand, "One punch!" was a classic moment. Guy swears it doesn't count because it was a sucker punch.
~Rocky Balboa

HarryTrotter

As for The Wire...I saw like half of season 1 so I can't really say. Maybe it gets better. Maybe its just that my attention span is serious damaged. My policy is to give things at least a 5 episode trial to see if it hooks me,unless I REALLY hated the first episode and/or figured out it's just not my thing.

JLI- my take is that it started strong,but went downhill soon enough (like almost every JL run that ever was). If you think it started bad, remember such laugh track ready disasters as General Glory arc. And it actually got worse. Sufficient to say that dark age (Yazz era?) Justice League never gets a mention by anyone. Whatever happened to Power Girls baby,btw?
Thank the New Gods for the reboot that was JLA. Which will also go downhill,thru several rows of barbed wire and into a sewage processing plant, after Morrison leaves.
Jon Farmer

Silver Shocker

Quote from: HarryTrotter on February 19, 2021, 09:20:49 AM
As for The Wire...I saw like half of season 1 so I can't really say. Maybe it gets better. Maybe its just that my attention span is serious damaged. My policy is to give things at least a 5 episode trial to see if it hooks me,unless I REALLY hated the first episode and/or figured out it's just not my thing.

That's a fair shake I suppose. If later seasons improve, you can always take a peek in and see what the new stuff is like. *sigh* I really got to get back into Samurai Jack one day.

QuoteJLI- my take is that it started strong,but went downhill soon enough (like almost every JL run that ever was).

That's.....probably true?

QuoteIf you think it started bad, remember such laugh track ready disasters as General Glory arc. And it actually got worse. Sufficient to say that dark age (Yazz era?) Justice League never gets a mention by anyone. Whatever happened to Power Girls baby,btw?
I only read assorted sections of it here and there. Also, we do not speak of Power Girl's baby. Or her Atlantean heritage. It didn't happen.  :cool:

QuoteThank the New Gods for the reboot that was JLA. Which will also go downhill,thru several rows of barbed wire and into a sewage processing plant, after Morrison leaves.

:roll:  Yeah, pretty much. Poor, poor Dwayne McDuffie's run. Well, the issues HE WROTE were pretty good.

And "Weaponeers of Qward" from Busiek's "Syndicate Rules" is STILL my shorthand for a sequence or recurring cutaway subplot that brings the plot to a screeching halt and is a slog to get through. Though Prehistoric Avengers is making a solid college try for it.  :P

And I STILL haven't finished Robinson's run. And everything I've heard seems to indicate I got out while the getting was good.

It's been a while, so I googled "Justice League One Punch" and found out there's an entire DC Wiki page just for that, and it has a huge list of times it's been referenced in later stories. I totally forgot that Meltzer's run started with an issue with Batman bragging about it to Superman and WW. I loved that.

Also Giffen had this to say in 2008: ""I never thought I'd say this, but enough with the "one punch" already. It was a throwaway bit. Move on. Please."

Also, also, get ready to hate the Injustice comic more than you already do, because I just found out this happens in Year Three.

Look, Tom Taylor, I like you as a writer, I really do, but in case you don't know this, the reason "One Punch!" was funny was because Guy Gardner was really, really annoying, and the whole cast couldn't stand him. You can't do that with a character everyone loves, because it just makes you look like an idiot.
~Rocky Balboa

HarryTrotter

Tenth freaking Circle. The one where JLA fight vampires from,you guessed it, tenth circle of hell. The one with Faith and Buffy references. By Claremont and Byrne. With such monologues as "Im using my Green Lantern powers to create a giant green hand". EVERYBODY does this. I guess Claremont was paranoid about artists actually drawing what he wanted. Also,vampires change their plans several times throughout the story
Jon Farmer

Silver Shocker

Yeah, I remember, and no, I still haven't read it.
~Rocky Balboa

Shogunn2517

Yeah, you can count me among those that definitely states that The Wire is the greatest series I've ever seen. It's probably the greatest AND my favorite. Granted, so much of the show personally connects to me on different levels, with the people I know, the industries I've worked with and around. But more than that, the characters and the writing is just off the charts of what you'd not expect. A lot of the characters are extremely relatable. 

But it often ranks on those "Top television shows of all time" list and for my money, for good reason.

This is not to cast dispersions on it's contemporaries. The Sopranos is also VERY good. Deadwood, is underrated and kind of sneaks up on you, especially outside of the persons you expect like Powers Booth and McShane. Boardwalk Empire is also one that's surprisingly good, especially for the subject matter it covers.  If you're a fan of American history at all, you can't miss it. And of course, Game of Thrones, which despite complaints, it DEFINITELY captured the world's attention and for good reason.

But on topic, I suppose less about the entire series but definitely for the pin-ultimate season and last season, I wasn't such a harsh critic as practically everyone else.  I got it. I got it on a different level than what others were expecting. I didn't like it being spoiled for me like it was(thanks internet), but there were things that the characters said and did that made it make sense like crazy to me. Yeah, it receives hate and I can get why, but still, I appreciate it for what it told me about life in general.

HarryTrotter

Back on the topic of Seinfeld- anyone remembers/seen any of the "Seinfeld without the laugh track" edits? It gets kinda creepy.
Jon Farmer

Silver Shocker

QuoteBut on topic, I suppose less about the entire series but definitely for the pin-ultimate season and last season, I wasn't such a harsh critic as practically everyone else.  I got it. I got it on a different level than what others were expecting. I didn't like it being spoiled for me like it was(thanks internet), but there were things that the characters said and did that made it make sense like crazy to me. Yeah, it receives hate and I can get why, but still, I appreciate it for what it told me about life in general.

Oh don't get me started on the final season of Got. Me and my nephew are still riffing on it two years later.
As one fan on Youtube said, if that was the real ending George intended, I want to see the math.
Also tv show Euron has nothing on book Euron.

[EDIT] Rereading your post, it seems like you might have been walking about the Wire for that part, and not Game of Thrones. If that was the case, sorry, that was a mistake on my part.

QuoteBack on the topic of Seinfeld- anyone remembers/seen any of the "Seinfeld without the laugh track" edits? It gets kinda creepy.
I've heard there's a Friends "Ross without laugh track". I don't want to watch either because I don't want to ruin the enjoyment of either show.

~Rocky Balboa

HarryTrotter

Back in the day when YT still had a star rating I saw clips of the episode where Elaine has a stalker without the laugh track and that was sooo uncomfortable. But it kinda gets you thinking about these sitcom scenarios and the fact all of these people are sociopaths. 🙂
Jon Farmer

HarryTrotter

One of the things I did came around on in recent years is King of the Hill. Back then,I found it slow and boring (and I preferred the surrealism of Simpsons). Now I can appreciate it for the characters and "animated sitcom" approach. Im not claiming it's the greatest thing ever(or even that deep),but certainly something you understand better as an adult.
Jon Farmer

BentonGrey

I didn't like King of the Hill at first either, but it became a favorite of mine.  The show really picked up once they realized that Hank was right about more than they gave him credit for, haha.  The show is best when it's sympathetic to him, like when the power of grilled meat saves Luanne and Peggy from a cult.  :D
God Bless

HarryTrotter

Y'all with the cult?

We are not a cult, we're an organization that promotes love...

Yeah,this is it.
Jon Farmer

BentonGrey

God Bless

HarryTrotter

Thou KOTH sucks in the last 3-4 seasons. And Hank becomes worse then Stan Smith.
Jon Farmer

GhostMachine

The Bachelor/Bachelorette. I just don't see the point. They've only had 2 or 3 couples that actually got married. And I hate that they put people from it on Dancing With The Stars, AND had two in a row win. (Hannah didn't deserve to win.....) Its bad enough that DWTS has a wide definition of who's a "star".......

Seinfeld. Vastly overrated. I'm not saying it wasn't a good series, but when I see it ranked as one of the best comedies ever.....no. Just no. I've seen it ranked close to I LOVE LUCY on some lists, and that is absolutely insane.

BentonGrey

Haha, wow GM, I completely agree and completely disagree.  I don't get any of the reality TV things, but Seinfeld overrated?  Madness!  :D
God Bless