News:

Rings of Reznor!

Main Menu

Costume Rating 135: Donna Troy

Started by Podmark, July 26, 2017, 12:28:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

What do you think of Donna Troy's Rebirth design?

Love
Meh
Dislike
Hate

Podmark

Late again, sorry been swapped with stuff. This week we'll look at Donna Troy's design:
Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page

Cyber Burn

Um...Before I vote, quick question...Why is she wearing Aquaman's Belt Buckle?

Epimethee

Why? Well, I take it Pod isn't the only one to have been swapped. ;)
FFX add-on for FFvsTTR at ffx.freedomforceforever.com

Tomato

I like this one. It's actually a pretty clean update to her "Titans" era look from the 90s, taking cues from previous designs but also adding a bit of armor to reflect this version of the character.

As for the belt, it's not clear in this artwork, but there's no separate buckle for the belt, it's just a long "W"

BentonGrey

3: It's fine.  It looks pretty good, and, as 'Mato said, the armored look actually makes a certain amount of sense.  The belt is a neat idea but doesn't quite work, and superheroes armed with swords are thematically problematic, but that's not really a costume issue.  The black looks pretty good, though I rather miss the red.  In isolation, this costume is good, but for an Amazonian warrior, I feel like it could use more ancient elements.  Of course, I have no idea what is going on with the character now, so perhaps that isn't valid.
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman
Check out mymods and blog!
https://bentongrey.wordpress.com/

Tomato

Well Benton, the thing about that is... Donna's only been in the n52/Rebirth continuity for a couple years, and she already has conflicting origin stories per character tradition. Generally speaking, she was a weapon created to kill Wonder Woman that Diana and the Amazons recently stopped and gave a new life and memories to so she could have a normal life... but despite this she was also somehow a member of the original titans during their fight with Mr. Twister prior to her mind wipe. In either case she's not REALLY an Amazon, but yeah... different verse, same as the first as it were.

Edit: So I was basing what I knew mostly on the Titans Annual, but it's actually a bit more complicated than that? Apparently her stuff with WW was resolved by Donna turning good and later becoming the replacement for the Greek fates, and it was the Titans Annual that retconned in the wrinkle of the amazons wiping her memories to give her a more stable life.

Podmark

I really like this. Even considered a love but it needs just a little extra something to get there.
The black on silver is a good colour scheme and the stars help keep it looking generic. The shoulder guard looks pretty cool too.

On the negatives the belt looks strange, and the gold on the weapons doesn't look like it probably doesn't fit - but I'd need some more pics to be sure.

Quote from: BentonGrey on July 26, 2017, 02:37:12 PM
superheroes armed with swords are thematically problematic, but that's not really a costume issue.

I know where you're coming from but comics are filled with characters using dangerous weapons, even classic characters like Hawkman and Black Knight. Even her teammate Arsenal, who I ran last week, is using a bow and arrow.
Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page

BentonGrey

Yes, but the archer characters traditionally used blunted or trick arrows and you can imagine a blunt weapon, like a mace, being nonleathal, while there isn't much of a way to make a sword non-lethal.  Of course, in real life, maces are super deadly and destructive, thus their usage as, you know, weapons, but it works in comics reasonably well. 

Black Knight is one of the very few examples of a classic character armed with a sword, and that made him rather limited back in the day if he wasn't fighting robots or the like.
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman
Check out mymods and blog!
https://bentongrey.wordpress.com/

Deaths Jester

Four words on making swords non-lethal: flat of the blade.
Avatar picture originally a Brom painting entitled Marionette.

Glitch Girl

While I don't have anything against any specific thing on the costume, this drawing of it makes her look like she should be playing football.
-Glitch Girl

"Cynicism is not maturity, do not mistake the one for the other. If you truly cannot accept a story where someone does the right thing because it's the right thing to do, that says far more about who you are than these characters." - Greg Rucka

Cyber Burn

I'll give it a like, but I agree with GG, those Shoulder pads are Kind of off. Maybe if they were a separate color or something to help them stand out? And I still say she swiped Aquaman's Belt Buckle. Deal with those two issues, and I think the Costume would be great.

Courtnall6

Not bad. I'd ditch the shoulder pads and change the colour of the outfit to blue/navy blue to contrast better with her black hair.
Clothes make the man and colourful tights make the Super-Hero.