News:

Rings of Reznor!

Main Menu

Costume Rating 132: Black Canary Rebirth

Started by Podmark, July 04, 2017, 12:32:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

What do you think of Black Canary's Rebirth look?

Love
Meh
Dislike
Hate

Podmark

This week we'll look at Black Canary's Rebirth design as she takes on bigger role in the Green Arrow books:
Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page

Tomato

Ehhhh... I'm sorry, but I'm past the whole fishnets thing for Black Canary. JLU, Young Justice AND all 3 versions of Arrow's Black Canary looked just fine with leggings (though Arrow's outfits are admittedly kinda boring since they're all black) and they're just like... annoying. They're annoying to skin, they're annoying to draw, they're annoying for actual women to wear... and even IRL, most ACTUAL fishnets people wear in public are the semi-translucent ones, not the triangular ones we see here which tend to bunch up and dig into the skin. And heck, at least with a character like Zatanna (the other character who is still depicted in them) you CAN make the case that the old-school magician look is a part of the motif.

Glitch Girl

I like the jacket, I like that the top has straps and I like the shoes.  The shorts aren't doing it for me and the fishnets... I know they're traditional but...

I think this works as a rock performance outfit, but not as an actual vigilante outfit. 
-Glitch Girl

"Cynicism is not maturity, do not mistake the one for the other. If you truly cannot accept a story where someone does the right thing because it's the right thing to do, that says far more about who you are than these characters." - Greg Rucka

HarryTrotter

The rest of you can see the picture,right?Does photobucket have something personal against me?  :rolleyes:
''Even our origin stories have gone sour.''
Jon Farmer

Tomato

Oh shoot... So, anyone who uses photobucket, you need to start hosting images elsewhere. Photobucket has decided that if you want to use images on another site, you need to pay them $600 for the privilege.

That said, since I can still see it for now:

BentonGrey

2: Costumes are stupid, therefore everyone should wear street clothes! :P  Bah.  I know Black Canary's costume is traditionally more street clothes, given her Golden Age origins, but this just doesn't look at all costumeish.  As GG said, she looks like a rockstar, not a superhero.
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman
Check out mymods and blog!
https://bentongrey.wordpress.com/

spydermann93

Isn't she a rockstar in the new52/Rebirth? Or did they drop that?

Ouflah

I'm with Benton here. It doesn't feel 'super' or 'heroic' enough to me.
"Superhero deaths are basically an unproven hypothesis at this point."
-Mike Exner III

BentonGrey

Quote from: spydermann93 on July 04, 2017, 04:13:11 PM

What?  Did they turn her into Dazzler?  :rolleyes:
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman
Check out mymods and blog!
https://bentongrey.wordpress.com/

HarryTrotter

That was DCYou.
''Even our origin stories have gone sour.''
Jon Farmer

Glitch Girl

Quote from: BentonGrey on July 04, 2017, 05:37:41 PM

What?  Did they turn her into Dazzler?  :rolleyes:
More like Joan Jett.
-Glitch Girl

"Cynicism is not maturity, do not mistake the one for the other. If you truly cannot accept a story where someone does the right thing because it's the right thing to do, that says far more about who you are than these characters." - Greg Rucka

Podmark

Yeah I went with a Dislike too.
It's too much rocker chick and not enough superhero. The top design has some potential but the overall package doesn't do much for me. I don't mind a jacket though.

Spade it's very strange that you can't see my images. Are you getting the standard broken image icon or the Photobuck "Update your account" message?
Either way I'll be changing image hosts soon so that should clear it up.
Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page

UnkoMan

Old thread but.... Is this the version of Black Canary that IS a rocker chick? As in, she is the lead singer of a band?
If so, fishnets make sense. Plus, well I'm just into fishnets... should be ripped. Looks more rock and roll.
Not that this comic was that great. It had an interesting start but then sort of just muddled about and even though there was suppose to be a point to her being in the band, there really wasn't a point to her being in a band.
On the other hand, her band mates were sort of interesting. I think the biggest disappointment was that it had potential that it did not live up to.

Anyhow, I liked this look and the book's art in general. She actually had quite a few outfits in the comic, and I suggest checking it out.

Podmark

Quote from: UnkoMan on July 29, 2017, 03:09:07 PM
Old thread but.... Is this the version of Black Canary that IS a rocker chick? As in, she is the lead singer of a band?

It's not. This design was for the books that came after (designed for Birds of Prey specifically but she was also appearing in Green Arrow). That said it does seem to take some design inspiration from the rocker version.
Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page

daglob

The original was something that we often complain about: it looked like she bought some patterned tights, put on a swimsuit, added a short jacket and buccaneer boots. Oh, and a choker. This worked back when it was created, and it has been around so long that I think it still isn't bad today (but I'm old). But they always seem to have colored the stockings blue, like they weren't really fishnets, just patterned tights. I dunno; maybe that makes sense in a super hero universe. I dislike the boots here in principle: they can't be as practical as some think. I wore boots like that to work in, and while they were protective (steel toe and heavy leather sole), they were a long way from comfortable. I can't see anyone sneaking around in the dark or on a rooftop with them. And I would think that the jacket was impractical for similar reasons: too many things to catch on protrusions, too much shiny stuff to catch the eye of the guy you are sneaking up on, and too much jingly stuff as well. Best to leave something like that alone unless you are riding a motorcycle and your skull is on fire.

Again, it looks like something the designer knew they were not going to have to draw it every month.

Cyber Burn

While I dislike the Costume as a whole, I actually see the logic of the Heavier boots. I agree that they're not much use for stealth and whatnot, but the Canary is a "Street Level" Hero, and is bound to get in fights. When you're being attacked, those boots (Especially the Steel Toe variety) are great for blocking kicks, or for when someone tries to step on your toes.

But I still don't like the Costume.  :P

Courtnall6

Not a fan of this one. Really don't like the big clunky combat boots.
Clothes make the man and colourful tights make the Super-Hero.

UnkoMan

Ah, my bad then.
But... I still dig Black Canary anyhow. Except for that "Canary Symbol" on the back of the jacket.

daglob

Quote from: UnkoMan on August 01, 2017, 04:04:39 PM
Ah, my bad then.
But... I still dig Black Canary anyhow. Except for that "Canary Symbol" on the back of the jacket.

Hey, no problem. If we all agreed on everything, how boring would it be? I personally can't stand coconut, and am in a very small minority.

Deaths Jester

...but coconuts are so perfect for horse hoove sounds!!!
Avatar picture originally a Brom painting entitled Marionette.

daglob