An Anime Thread

Started by HarryTrotter, May 26, 2017, 01:11:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

UnkoMan

Quote from: HarryTrotter on May 26, 2017, 01:11:00 PM
Might as well try and see if this works out.
I recently got around to starting Monster,at current speed I might even finish it by the next decade.So,what are you guys watching these days?

Monster, while having some slow parts, is pretty fantastic. I remember loving it.
Paranoia Agent is another great one that I don't hear enough said about...

But if you just want to have wild fun, watch FLCL or even better Dead Leaves. That one's under an hour of hyper kinetic fun.

Silver Shocker

Actually I did see Paranoia Agent quite a few years ago and I quite liked that one. A strange series to be sure, but ended on a fairly satisfying note. I ended up watching it specifically because someone recommended it to people who were dissatisfied with Lost's failure to resolve its various mysteries.
"Now you know what you're worth? Then go out and get what you're worth, but you gotta be willing to take the hits. And not pointing fingers, saying you're not where you want to be because of him, or her, or anybody. Cowards do that, and THAT AIN'T YOU. YOU'RE BETTER THAN THAT!"
~Rocky Balboa

HarryTrotter

Im getting a weird urge to rewatch Gundam Wing.
Great everything...except the story.
''Even our origin stories have gone sour.''
Jon Farmer

Silver Shocker

I've got something of a soft spot for Gundam Wing because it was the first Gundam series I ever saw (I'd never even heard of Gundam until it was announced it would be airing on tv). I've rewatched it once since, but I found it hard to follow the story because it's politics and exposition kinda caused me to zone out.

Compare that to Gundam Seed and Unicorn, those seemed to hold my attention no matter what's going on or what the characters are talking about.

Wing might have been the first Gundam Series I watched, but Seed was the one that I got most attached to. I'm glad they're making a lot of new Gundam material these days, but I find it difficult to keep up (case in point: Unicorn came out in 2014 or so and I still haven't finished it)

Wow. Before Wing they made Gundam, Zeta, Double Zeta, Char's Counterattack, F-91, War in the Pocket, Stardust Memory, Victory, And G Gundam. So they made a LOT of Gundam before they got to Wing, and not counting G and the OVAs, the only one that wasn't Tomino was Wing. So was the problem that they haven't figured out how to do a Gundam tv series without Tomino yet?
"Now you know what you're worth? Then go out and get what you're worth, but you gotta be willing to take the hits. And not pointing fingers, saying you're not where you want to be because of him, or her, or anybody. Cowards do that, and THAT AIN'T YOU. YOU'RE BETTER THAN THAT!"
~Rocky Balboa

HarryTrotter

Problem was more that they tried to cram the entire original trilogy (MSG,Zeta,CCA) into one series.And lets face it,Wing is melodramatic even by the standards of this franchise.
Jon Farmer

kkhohoho

Quote from: HarryTrotter on January 28, 2019, 06:12:57 AM
Problem was more that they tried to cram the entire original trilogy (MSG,Zeta,CCA) into one series.

You forgot ZZ. Though I'm pretty sure Wing did too.
The Golden Age; 'A different look at a different era.'

http://archiveofourown.org/works/1089779/chapters/2193203

HarryTrotter

I didnt.But its the Force Awakens of the franchise.Only ZZ actually has a few good episodes.
Jon Farmer

HarryTrotter

Finished the rest of Netflix/anime Godzilla trilogy.Dont bother with it. I mean how do you f*ck this up?Just have giant monsters duke it out,thats literally all you had to do.
But no,we are stuck for nearly six hours with talking heads waxing anime quasi-philosophy.But wait,they are foreshadowing King Ghidorah.We can still rescue this in the third movie finale.Here he comes,a big fight is going to happen.
Spoiler
And hes a CGI hole in the sky.And Godzilla one punches him.The hell?
Spoiler
And then the main human character just rams his Macross jet into Godzilla and kills him?The hell?
Worst sin any movie can do is to be boring.And this s*it was boring.
Again,its a Godzilla anime,how do you funt this up so badly?  :banghead:
Jon Farmer

daglob

It takes areal talent for mediocrity, that's what it takes.

HarryTrotter

Reminds me in a way of Netflix Castlevania.
Its a fairly simple premise where you actually have to try to make it boring.And both have priests as villains.
I mean not like this is live action so a three headed dragon would be unbelivable.Why the change?Its like making Galactus into a cloud,but that at least had an excuse of live action.
Jon Farmer

Silver Shocker

Yes, the Godzilla anime movies were strange creatures, but not really good Godzilla. I've seen all three of them, but none of them held my attention, I can barely remember them and I can't really tell you what happened in them other than some scant details. It felt a lot like a studio and creative team wanted to tell a sci-fi anime story, but had to stick some Godzilla monsters in it. Or perhaps it would be more accurate to say some giant monsters that share the names of some Godzilla monsters.

I'll admit I'm not really a fan of the franchise, and watched these because they were filtered through the anime aesthetics and, as anime movies, were short and digestible, but they're so far removed from Godzilla movies have pretty much always been it almost makes you wonder why they bothered at all.

Like, when One Piece did these one-off filler episodes where the cast were placed in a feudal Japan bounty hunter setting, the characterization and humor was still One Piece.

I remember the fairy princess girls got reimagined as anime moeblob girls, and some villain ranted about philosophy for a long time. I dunno. It was weird, and it didn't feel like Godzilla at all.
It also didn't help that it was done by the same studio that did Knights of Sidonia, so everyone is CGI but they don't really have the range of face, build, facial structure, ect to look varied enough. That would have been the kind of benefit you'd get from it being anime.

Now Netflix Castlevania is a odd series as well, but honestly I liked that better. And it at least resembles the source material more.

QuoteI didnt.But its the Force Awakens of the franchise.Only ZZ actually has a few good episodes.

ZZ was the one where the first half is almost a spoof and then they changed their mind half-way through and did a more traditional Gundam show right? Yeah, kinda hard to fit that into Wing.
~Rocky Balboa

HarryTrotter

They were trying to write anything BUT Godzilla it seems.And like I said,its just boring and thats one sin a movie shouldnt have.

Theory was that at the time everyone was working on Chars Counterattack so nobody gave a cr@p.Much like Bright this time around.Also explains why Quattro is in the opening but never appears in the series.Still from what I remember,Dublin arc was pretty good and in general later half got better.
And as usual with this franchise,there are a few manga and novels acting as interquels and making more sense of this period.I doubt any of it was released outside Japan,but I hear it exists.
Jon Farmer

HarryTrotter

On a tangenial note,Godzilla the series was pretty good from what I remember.Yes,1998 movie gave birth to an awesome animated series.Which is complete reverse of how that usually happens.
Then again,what was the last film to get a cartoon follow up?
Jon Farmer

HarryTrotter

So there is a Marvel anime I only now heard about- Marvel Future Avengers.Its Avengers but like a shounen anime.And thats about that.Also,this is the second anime that takes inspiration from MCU but uses Wasp instead of Black Widow.
If I ever get to the second episode,I will have more things to say...
Jon Farmer