FREEDOM FORCE ANNIVERSARY CHALLENGE-16th Anniversary?

Started by daglob, March 26, 2017, 08:09:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

daglob

This is to inaugurate the Freedom Force 15th Anniversary Challenge.

There are many possibilities:

Redesign the original Freedom Force or Freedom Force vs. The Third Reich characters. One of my favorite meshes is Yellow Lantern & IPS's Rogue 1960s, so re-do the FF as though they had been active in the 1940s, 1950s, 1970s. 1980s, 1990s, or the present day. If you can figure out a way to fit them into 1930s pulps, go for it (fighting Cthulhu in the 1920s?)! Naitvalis is doing a "corrupted" version of the Freedom Force; why not take a theme and re-do as many of the characters as you can? Science fiction, heroic fantasy, planetary romance, medieval knights, Earth-3, magic universe, DC or Marvel Cinematic Universe, CW-verse, vampire-verse, 2099, 3000 AD... anything you can imagine. Or... what if you had been working for Irrational Games fifteen years ago, how would you have designed the FF characters? What other characters might you have created instead?

Alchemiss E3

You might create an anniversary SFX, like a Freedom Force Rally, or make a "lost" level for either of the two games, or a Danger Room Map, or anything. There is a character called "Freedom Forcer", and little as been done with him... got any ideas? Last 4th of July I did my avatar (and Deadpool) in a Freedom Force themed costume, lets see what yours looks like done up the same way. With the time limit, maybe those who can't skin can get up with those who do, and collaborate on something.

Forcerpool

The FF Museum's posting Glitch Girls gender swapped Freedom Force members reminds me that the newer members in FFv3R were never given the same treatment.

Then (as Benton points out) you could do one of the Freedom Force III characters.

Manbot2 3000

As usual, there are few rules:

Post a picture of your work here so we can look at it, or post your work someplace we can get it, and bask in the approval... Even if you don't participate, stop by and comment. If you have ideas, mention them; you may inspire someone else.

Deadline on this one will be June 30th. I'm tempted to make it December 31st, and if I got enough feedback on it, I might yet. This is a special challenge, not like the holiday challenges I usually make, and we ought to do it up big.

Have fun; there is no point in doing this if you don't. Maybe learn a little something too, or try something new. We come around here because of our passion for the game, and our love for the community. We can learn new techniques, learn new skills, learn about each other (and ourselves, I hope). That is a lot of expect, and a lot to receive, from a silly game.

Oh yes, and free booze for DJ.

BentonGrey

This sounds great, DG!  Let me encourage folks to take a stab at FF III 70s designs, like these:
http://imgur.com/a/uRWD1
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman
Check out mymods and blog!
https://bentongrey.wordpress.com/

Cyber Burn

Man, Benton! I've never seen most of those pictures. Awesome!

daglob

There was some discussion about the FF III characters, and a few of them have been done. Still, some is not all...

Deaths Jester

Mmm...free booze...and what's this if you were there 15 years ago? I was there just not working for Irrational. Anyways...mmm...free booze...
Avatar picture originally a Brom painting entitled Marionette.

daglob

Quote from: Deaths Jester on March 26, 2017, 11:04:32 PM
Mmm...free booze...and what's this if you were there 15 years ago? I was there just not working for Irrational. Anyways...mmm...free booze...

Yes, you were there, but other than the free booze, how would have changed the characters? Heck, I was there, I just couldn't play the game.

Deaths Jester

daglob

Podmark

Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page

Deaths Jester

Don't need to multitask, have a never seen before skin or two from a mod Tiobe and I were working on a few years back in which we planned to expand the Third Riech/time travel/alt universe idea into the games "modern"/60s time and how it changed the heroes. If I get the chance I'll post one tomorrow. Now back to...free booze...mmm...

daglob

Quote from: Deaths Jester on March 27, 2017, 03:21:26 AM
Don't need to multitask, have a never seen before skin or two from a mod Tiobe and I were working on a few years back in which we planned to expand the Third Riech/time travel/alt universe idea into the games "modern"/60s time and how it changed the heroes. If I get the chance I'll post one tomorrow. Now back to...free booze...mmm...
:)

Epimethee

To quote a somewhat older Liberty Lad, "For Free booooooooooze!"
FFX add-on for FFvsTTR at ffx.freedomforceforever.com

Ouflah

Oh, I love this idea. Character redesigns have always been really intriguing to me, and Freedom Force character redesigns... well, it just sounds awesome. All the different things you could do with them-- different eras, Earth 3 dopplegangers, FF3, etc-- sound really really cool.  :D
Also, if there's Earth 3 Freedom Force, I wonder what the Earth 2 versions would be like? It sounds similar to the "what if they were in the 40's" idea, but it does have a few distinctions. After all, some of the Earth 2 DC characters were different people who got their powers in different ways and had different costumes, despite sharing the same superhero names.

Anyway, it just sounds really neat. Though I've tried doing meshes and not really gotten the hang of it, I know I'm capable of doing skins. I'm going to try my hand at doing something before June 30th comes.
"Superhero deaths are basically an unproven hypothesis at this point."
-Mike Exner III

Deaths Jester

Alrighty, here's one of those skins I hinted at..this is Komet:

Now, Tiobe and my idea for all of this revolved around the cinematic scene where FF comes back from fighting Nuclear WInter in FFvTTR. In that you had them flying over the US and noticing everything had turned Nazi except for Freedom Fortress, right before they do the time travel to the past routine.  Well, for the two of us that was a bit lame and needed fleshing out.  So instead of FF landing at their Freedom Fortress, we envisioned them landing at the Freedom Fortress that fit the Nazi-based idea.  Even more fun, we thought that it would be interesting to have the FF wander into the Fortress and run into Nazi versions of themselves there.  We has this whole idea planned out that instead of creating a time machine in the Fortress that they'd have to create one with a resistance group and such.  Anyways, Komet is the alt universe Nazi Bullet. You'll notice he's wearing pieces of Sky King's outfit with Nazi emblems attaches on it which is intentional.  If you remember, in game Bullet mentions how he always looked up/idolized Sky King and based his original outfit slightly off of Sky King's outfit...well, in our world, Bullet/Komet killed Sky King (who stayed a good guy) and took his outfit for himself.

spydermann93

I reeeally like that skin/skope! The backstory, which is pretty brutal, is pretry darn cool.

Between the Nazi Force, Glob's stuff, and Nait's "Corruption" and "Destinies" lines, I'm loving this!

BentonGrey

I love it DJ!  Great story, great concept, and great skin.  It really works.  :D

Great work, DG!  I particularly like 'Forcepool'!  :lol:
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman

John Jr.

Quote from: BentonGrey on March 27, 2017, 08:00:53 PM
I love it DJ!  Great story, great concept, and great skin.  It really works.  :D

Great work, DG!  I particularly like 'Forcepool'!  :lol:

I agree with Benton, you two made an amazing job. But while Forcepool is great I liked Manbot2 3000 a lot too. Amazing story and skin, DJ.

Deaths Jester

That skin and two others were created almost eight or nine years ago...I have just been holding on to them because Tiobe was involved in their creations...

Deaths Jester

Another of those never before seen ones that TIobe and I were working on before Tiobe disappeared...this is Kriegsshiff, the Nazi's Man o' War:

As you can tell, he's a high ranking Naval Officer (Kommodore in the Nazi navy).  We hadn't really gotten a story together for him when I did him but we did want to change the gun out for something more like a speargun or such...we were tinkering with him when Tiobe vanished.  Though if memory serves me right, we had planned on Sea Urchin to be part of the resistance for some reason.....had something to do with her and this character's dynamics...but can't remember...

windblown

Those alternate FF characters are amazing. Great work!

Cyber Burn

I might be able to help with switching the Gun out if you still want to.

John Jr.

Impressive work with Kriegsshiff, DJ. And I really liked the concept of Sea Urchin as his enemy (she is quite the rebel even is her default version).

Deaths Jester

Thanks for the offer, CB, but it's not really worth it. A combo of Tiobe not being around and only a very small group of characters skinne kind of puts this mod idea into the DOA pile. If I had more skins and ideas worked out, I might've tried to get a modder to work something up but I don't.

Podmark

That Man o' War looks really cool. Very cool idea.
Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page

detourne_me

I love the design on Man O War. Just something about the blue skin contrasted with the solid white coat is just awesone.

BentonGrey

Yeah, I agree.  That's a lovely design.  I really like the contrast.  Man O' War looks darn sharp, even if he is a Nazi.  :)
God Bless

Deaths Jester

These were the last two from the mod that I had done:

This is Herr Mechanish, the alt universe Nazi version of Mr Mechanical.  We had envisioned him as a member of the Todt group which was Hitler's civil engineering and science group.

This is how we viewed Blitzkrieg would look like when the FF run across him in the Nazi Freedom Fortress.  We wanted him to lead the Nazi FF instead of Mentor or Minute Man (neither of which existed in this universe...though Frank Stiles exists as an old man in a prison camp...had planned a mission to break him out so the FF could use his knowledge to create the time machine or such) but we also wanted him to be the regional leader of the United States (note the arm band...that is the regional leader band that the Brownshirts wore).

And that is it....

Cyber Burn

From concept to execution, these all turned out fantastic. The Community really lost out on these.

Deaths Jester

Quote from: Cyber Burn on March 29, 2017, 09:41:55 PM
From concept to execution, these all turned out fantastic. The Community really lost out on these.

What happens when people disappear...though I think I might have a Nazi Man-Bot sitting around somewhere but I think we decided not to use that version...will have to look...

windblown

I really like them. I'm sad this mod wasn't finished because it looks very interesting.