News:

Rings of Reznor!

Main Menu

Sonic the Hedgehog voicepacks

Started by Neros Urameshi, December 15, 2016, 06:08:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neros Urameshi

Considering how there are meshes of Sonic and the gang, I think there should be voicepacks for them, too.

detourne_me

cool, so will you be making a bunch of voicepacks?

Tomato

^ Pretty much that.

Again, it goes back to how much you're willing to invest. If you want to have voice packs that's cool and all, but YOU have to be willing to devote the time into getting them made. Making a Voice Pack isn't that difficult, since I've recorded, edited, and installed voice packs of myself in only a couple days before.

This is the problem you seem to have a hard time grasping, both now and back when you first showed up: It's one thing to request something that is already done or that doesn't take much effort to modify, because that can be done in maybe a half hour. But making NEW content takes time: In this case, finding the best quality voice clips to use, adapting them to FF's naming structure, making the DAT, etc. It's a process that can take days to do. If you are not willing to put forth the effort to do it yourself, when YOU are the one who wants it, how do you expect us to do it because you asked?

You literally flood the boards with request after request, not even taking the time to do a simple board search half the time. By my count, you've got at least 6 open and active requests with multiple individual requests in each. I've tried to be subtle in a couple threads and lead you toward learning how to make the content yourself, but I think we all are rapidly approaching the point (Reaching it AGAIN, might I add.) that none of us want to help you, because you clearly do not understand, and thus do not in any way VALUE, the level of work required to do the things you ask. Until you start showing at least a willingness to TRY and do these things for yourself and not be spoon-fed EVERYTHING, things are going to continue to go down the same road they did the last time you pulled this nonsense.

If you want to learn HOW to make a voicepack, I will personally do everything I can to help, even though I would have to learn how to do it again. But if you expect someone to make it for you, I think you'll be waiting a LONG time.

Edit: So after a bit of time, and a short nap, I wanted to come back to this post and add that... I did not intend this post to become as confrontational as it is, and I am sorry I let my frustration get the better of me. However, while I do apologize for the tone it was originally written in, I do stand by the point of it, which is that you (Neros) desperately need to start learning how to do this stuff yourself. You keep requesting more and more and more, but I honestly do not think you have any value or appreciation for any of the work that goes into it, and you won't ever appreciate that until you attempt to do some of it yourself.

That said, whatever you want to learn, I will do whatever is in my power to help you learn it. I am super rusty, and it might take me a bit to re-familiarize myself with everything I once had and knew how to use, but I am at your disposal, provided your intention is to learn how to do things and not have me do them for you.

Neros Urameshi

I think I'd love to learn.

For the voices of the characters, we have two choices: Either get someone(s) to do voices to them, or recycle the voices from the video games, via Sounds-Resource.

Sonic the Hedgehog:
A) Roger Craig Smith
B) Jason Griffith
C) Ryan Drummond
D) A mix of two or all

Tails:
A) Corey Bringas
B) Conner Bringas
C) Kate Higgins
D) Colleen Villard
E) A mix of two or all

Knuckles:
A) Michael Mcgaharn
B) Scott Drier
C) Travis Willingham
D) A mix of two or all

Amy Rose:
A) Lisa Ortiz (I must confess; she's my favorite of all the other Amy Rose voices!)
B) Cindy Robinson
C) Jennifer Douillard
D) A mix of two or all

Shadow the Hedgehog:
A) Jason Griffith
B) David Humphrey
C) Kirk Thornton
D) A mix of two or all

Cream the Rabbit:
A) Sarah Wulfeck
B) Michelle Ruff
C) Rebecca Honig
D) A mix of two or all

Dr. Eggman (which shall be used for all the meshes with him):
A) Deem Bristow
B) Mike Pollock
C) A mix of two or all

BentonGrey

Making voicepacks is super easy.  It's really just about time availability.  Download some of mine so you can see examples (links under my signature).

You can find some good tutorials here that should be very helpful:
https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/Freedom_Force_Resources/info

Basically, all you have to do is A) record suitable soundbytes from a source you like (I used the Timmverse DC cartoons, and cartoons and video games are good sources), B) save them in the proper format and name them something you can keep track of, C) assign the different samples to different VP roles, like attack or alert., D) add a simple text list of the files properly labelled to the Speech.txt file, E) and compile the .dats. 

The only real challenge is that you have to have the time to spend going through TV shows or what have you looking for useable lines.  I recommend Audacity as a sound recording/editing tool.  It's great, simple to use, powerful, and free:
http://www.audacityteam.org/

Good luck!  We can always use more voicepacks!
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman
Check out mymods and blog!
https://bentongrey.wordpress.com/

Neros Urameshi

No problem. I think using some of these quotes would be useful for the voicepacks. But which ones would be perfect for whom?

https://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Sonic_the_Hedgehog

Here's a line I think would be good for when Sonic approaches bad guys:
"Heh, talk about being stubborn and full of surprises!"

BentonGrey

Well, unless you're able to recruit voice actors (which is not impossible, given Sonic's popularity), you'll probably have to search through cartoons or video games for existent lines and record/export them.  For example, perhaps there is a cartoon where Sonic says something like, "Too slow, dude!"  That would be a good sample to use for a dodge line.  So, in some senses, those decisions will be made for you.  I'd just choose whichever version you liked best and start watching it, looking for usable lines.  I know I always liked the Sonic show from the 90s.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T1f0qVeLcpo

I'm not familiar with later Sonic games, but if there are any with full voice packs, you could try and find a way to rip those for your use.  I see you've already done your research and know who has voiced these characters.  My only vote would be for the cast from the show I mentioned above, but that's a very mild nostalgic preference.  Depending on what's available, you may have to mix and match different VAs.  I ended up doing that with some of my DC packs because of a lack of sources.  However, sometimes the difference will be too broad, like the two different Aquaman actors used in the Timmverse 'toons.  You'll just have to decide who sounds similar enough that it won't be an issue and who doesn't.
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman

Tomato

I would stick to one VA, probably the Current ones. Don't get me wrong, I miss Lisa Ortiz as Amy Rose (I'm in the same boat. She was my fav Amy) but more recent games are likely to have the best audio quality. Completely up to you though, you're the one putting forth the effort.

That said though, I would recommend the Sound Resource for any and all game clips. I linked directly to Rise of Lyric (garbage game, but the nature of the gameplay makes it the most suited for FF clips) but most of the other games are there is well. They're ripped straight from the games, so they're probably as good as you'll get without renting an audio booth and hiring the actors yourself.

BentonGrey

Nice, that would make it super easy.
God Bless

Neros Urameshi

Quote from: Tomato on December 16, 2016, 04:14:27 AM
I would stick to one VA, probably the Current ones. Don't get me wrong, I miss Lisa Ortiz as Amy Rose (I'm in the same boat. She was my fav Amy) but more recent games are likely to have the best audio quality. Completely up to you though, you're the one putting forth the effort.

That said though, I would recommend the Sound Resource for any and all game clips. I linked directly to Rise of Lyric (garbage game, but the nature of the gameplay makes it the most suited for FF clips) but most of the other games are there is well. They're ripped straight from the games, so they're probably as good as you'll get without renting an audio booth and hiring the actors yourself.
It's funny you should mention it, because I was just planning to use the Sounds Resource. ;)

Neros Urameshi

Hmm... can't seem to find what quotes or sound effects to use for the following on Tails: Panic, Rage, Attack or Sensing Danger.

BentonGrey

It's worth mentioning that you don't have to fill all slots for all characters.  An absent line won't hurt anything.  Not being familiar with the games you're working with, I can't offer any specific advice, but a Rage and Panic line are less important than the others. 

For Attack, you can always just use some non verbal lines, like "Yah!" or "Hah!" 
God Bless

Neros Urameshi

I updated the winrar file with voices for Amy Rose, now that a mesh of her is finally made.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/ii1fp8mha41928h/Sonic+voices+for+Freedom+Force.rar

Still wish I knew how to make up voicepacks easily.

BentonGrey

Unfortunately, short of finding existing voice packs, it ain't easy.  I spent TONS of time trying to track down good lines for my Indiana Jones VP in my Pulp mod, and I was astonished that such didn't already exist.
God Bless

Neros Urameshi

Is there an easy-to-understand tutorial on how to make voicepacks?

Neros Urameshi

I already checked those, and I don't think they're quite easy to understand.

Forgive me if I sound like I'm being stupid, I have Asperger's syndrome, and I think there should be sort of a "Freedom Force for Dummies" sort of book that gives even more simple steps on how to make up voicepacks.

Cyber Burn

Quote from: Neros Urameshi on March 09, 2017, 05:53:59 PM
I already checked those, and I don't think they're quite easy to understand.

Forgive me if I sound like I'm being stupid, I have Asperger's syndrome, and I think there should be sort of a "Freedom Force for Dummies" sort of book that gives even more simple steps on how to make up voicepacks.

Unfortunately, I don't believe that there's any sort of Book that will give you what you want, but maybe if some of the Voicepack creators here could get together, they could write up some simpler instructions for those of us who can't figure out Voicepacks (Myself included).

Cyber Burn

But for the record, I should have mentioned that I don't think something like that is going to happen. The number of Content Creators are becoming less and less as it is, and I honestly don't know how many VP Makers are left. My previous post was more "Wishful Thinking", than anything else.

That being said, I would recommend doing a search for whatever it is that is getting you stuck, and seeing if there are any older posts that may hold the answers that you need. Then just copy those onto a Word Document.

Deaths Jester

Of the VP creators that I remember (we're going back aways), I don't think there are any still posting regularly...but I could be mistaken.
Avatar picture originally a Brom painting entitled Marionette.

BentonGrey

I can help if you've got specific questions, Neros, but I'm afraid I don't have time to create a comprehensive tutorial.  It really is pretty straightforward once you get the hang of it.
God Bless

Deaths Jester

Oops! Sorry about forgetting you do VPs still, BG. My fault.
Avatar picture originally a Brom painting entitled Marionette.

Neros Urameshi

Quote from: BentonGrey on March 12, 2017, 01:05:38 AM
I can help if you've got specific questions, Neros, but I'm afraid I don't have time to create a comprehensive tutorial.  It really is pretty straightforward once you get the hang of it.

Okay, I have some questions related to making voicepacks.

#1: When it comes to making up voicepacks, do I have to, like, rename the audio files to something important?

#2: What kind of special quote is when a hero senses bad guys/enemies approaching?

#3: How do I add voicepacks to the Freedom Force game?

BentonGrey

Neros, did you read the tutorials CB linked you to?  They list all of the different voice-line types and tell you how to set up your entries.

In brief:
1) Actually, the files can be named whatever you want, as long as the Speech.txt entries point to the right files and have the right code.  You'll find examples in the tutorials, but here's what an entry looks like:
QuoteSPEECH_5D_ALERT_01, speech\english\hawkeye\hawk_AL001.mp3
SPEECH_5D_ALERT_02, speech\english\hawkeye\hawk_AL002.mp3
SPEECH_5D_ATTACK1_01, speech\english\hawkeye\hawk_AT001.mp3
SPEECH_5D_ATTACK1_02, speech\english\hawkeye\hawk_AT002.mp3
SPEECH_5D_ATTACK1_03, speech\english\hawkeye\hawk_AT003.mp3
SPEECH_5D_ATTACK1_04, speech\english\hawkeye\hawk_AT004.mp3
SPEECH_5D_ATTACK1_05, speech\english\hawkeye\hawk_AT005.mp3
SPEECH_5D_CANTINTEROGATE_01, speech\english\hawkeye\hawk_CI001.mp3
SPEECH_5D_DEFEND1_01, speech\english\hawkeye\hawk_DF001.mp3
SPEECH_5D_DODGE_01, speech\english\hawkeye\hawk_DG001.mp3
SPEECH_5D_DODGE_02, speech\english\hawkeye\hawk_DG001.mp3
SPEECH_5D_FRUSTRATION_01, speech\english\hawkeye\hawk_FR001.mp3
SPEECH_5D_HYPNOSIS_01, speech\english\hawkeye\hawk_HP001.mp3
SPEECH_5D_IRRITATION_01, speech\english\hawkeye\hawk_IN001.mp3
SPEECH_5D_KNOCKED OUT_01, speech\english\hawkeye\hawk_KO001.mp3
SPEECH_5D_MENTALBLANK_01, speech\english\hawkeye\hawk_MB001.mp3
SPEECH_5D_MAJORPAIN_01, speech\english\hawkeye\hawk_MP001.mp3
SPEECH_5D_MAJORPAIN_02, speech\english\hawkeye\hawk_MP002.mp3
SPEECH_5D_MAJORPAIN_03, speech\english\hawkeye\hawk_MP003.mp3
SPEECH_5D_PAIN_01, speech\english\hawkeye\hawk_P001.mp3
SPEECH_5D_PAIN_02, speech\english\hawkeye\hawk_P002.mp3
SPEECH_5D_RAGE_01, speech\english\hawkeye\hawk_R001.mp3
SPEECH_5D_RAGE_02, speech\english\hawkeye\hawk_R002.mp3
SPEECH_5D_SELECT_01, speech\english\hawkeye\hawk_SE001.mp3
SPEECH_5D_SELECT_02, speech\english\hawkeye\hawk_SE002.mp3
SPEECH_5D_SELECT_03, speech\english\hawkeye\hawk_SE003.mp3
2) 'Alert' lines do that..
3) A custom one or a pre-built one?  You can find the answers to either situation in the tutorials.  For the custom ones, pretty much all you have to do is put the files an appropriately named folder in your mod's Sounds/Speech/English directory, add appropriate entries that point to those files in your speech.txt, located in Lang/English directory, and then compile your .dats.  It's actually pretty easy.  In fact, it's probably the easiest type of modding, which is why I got started with it, as I was scared to tackle anything bigger.  :)

Read through the tutorials, check out the VPs from my Yahoo groups or from a mod or wherever to see an example, and then you'll be in business.  Let me know if you've got questions after that.
God Bless

Panther_Gunn

Quote from: BentonGrey on March 15, 2017, 03:23:33 AM
1) Actually, the files can be named whatever you want, as long as the Speech.txt entries point to the right files and have the right code.  You'll find examples in the tutorials, but here's what an entry looks like:

To illustrate what Benton said further, here's an example of a voice pack where not all of the file names are in the semi-standard format:

QuoteSPEECH_SM_ALERT_01, speech\english\spidysence.mp3
SPEECH_SM_ALERT_02, speech\english\spidycomeon.mp3
SPEECH_SM_ATTACK1_01, speech\english\spidyattack.mp3
SPEECH_SM_ATTACK1_02, Speech\english\SM_AT002.mp3
SPEECH_SM_ATTACK1_03, Speech\english\SM_AT003.mp3
SPEECH_SM_ATTACK1_04, Speech\english\spidyattack2.mp3
SPEECH_SM_ATTACK1_05, speech\english\spidyoneforJJ.mp3
SPEECH_SM_DEFEND1_01, Speech\english\SM_DF001.mp3
SPEECH_SM_DEFEND1_02, Speech\english\SM_DF002.mp3
SPEECH_SM_DODGE_01, speech\english\spidyhey.mp3
SPEECH_SM_DODGE_02, speech\english\spidyclose.mp3
SPEECH_SM_FRUSTRATION_01, Speech\english\SM_FR001.mp3
SPEECH_SM_HYPNOSIS_01, Speech\english\SM_HP001.mp3
SPEECH_SM_HYPNOSIS_02, Speech\english\SM_HP002.mp3
SPEECH_SM_INACTIVE_01, Speech\english\SM_IA001.mp3
SPEECH_SM_KNOCKED OUT_01, Speech\english\SM_KO001.mp3
SPEECH_SM_KNOCKED OUT_02, Speech\english\SM_KO002.mp3
SPEECH_SM_MENTALBLANK_01, Speech\english\SM_MB001.mp3
SPEECH_SM_MAJOR PAIN_01, Speech\english\SM_MP001.mp3
SPEECH_SM_MAJOR PAIN_02, Speech\english\SM_MP002.mp3
SPEECH_SM_MAJOR PAIN_03, Speech\english\SM_MP003.mp3
SPEECH_SM_MAJOR PAIN_04, speech\english\spidyhurt2.mp3
SPEECH_SM_MAJOR PAIN_05, speech\english\spidyhurt1.mp3
SPEECH_SM_PANIC_01, Speech\english\SM_P001.mp3
SPEECH_SM_PANIC_02, Speech\english\SM_P002.mp3
SPEECH_SM_RAGE_01, Speech\english\SM_R001.mp3
SPEECH_SM_RAGE_02, Speech\english\SM_R002.mp3
SPEECH_SM_SELECT_01, Speech\english\SM_SE001.mp3
SPEECH_SM_SELECT_02, Speech\english\SM_SE002.mp3
SPEECH_SM_SELECT_03, speech\english\spidyshowtime.mp3

I've mashed a couple of my voice packs from two or more sources for more variety, and this Spider-Man pack is an example.  It's also an example of having all of the files in the main folder, which can very quickly become a bad idea.  I think this was the only one I hadn't put into it's own folder yet.

Naming the files according to a scheme can help keep them organized when you're looking at the files, but not necessary.
The Best There Is At What I Do......when I have the time.

Neros Urameshi

Sounds like it's getting a bit more simple. Another question; Can there be more than one Alert quote and more than one KO quote?

BentonGrey

As the tutorial says, and as you can see from the examples, you can have as many as you want.  The tutorial gives you some recommended numbers.
God Bless

Panther_Gunn

The more sound files you have for a category, the more variety you will get in game (so it's not the same one or two all the time).  But in some cases having just one line for a category can be desirable.  As an example, back when it came out, I had intended to ask Yellow Lantern to add an extra line to his Superman voice pack, "Up, up, and away!" to use for the Fly action (this is probably the least used category, from what I've seen).  My plan was to have four or five different Fly entries, but all of them be blank, or reference a quiet sound file, and have just one use the actual quote, so it would show up once in a while, but not *every* time.
The Best There Is At What I Do......when I have the time.

Neros Urameshi

When it comes to defending (or using shields), what quotes should I use for Sonic and the gang?