News:

Rings of Reznor!

Main Menu

Definitive Cinematic Hawkeye

Started by Tomato, November 13, 2016, 03:10:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which costume for Hawkeye is the Definitive Cinematic version of the character?

Avengers
5 (50%)
Avengers: Age of Ultron
0 (0%)
Captain America: Civil War
5 (50%)

Total Members Voted: 10

Tomato

It's been awhile since I've done one of these, but since we've got a few more characters with multiple costumes under their belts (and also because I just marathoned a couple Marvel movies), I thought I'd dust this idea off again. I have a bit one coming in a bit, but I wanted to start back up with something simple: Which version of Hawkeye's MCU costume was THE definitive Hawkeye?

Avengers

Avengers: Age of Ultron

Captain America: Civil War

Podmark

For definitive I've got to say the first costume. That's the one that comes mind if I think of MCU Hawkeye. I want to say a version of this costume was under the coat in the second costume too.

That said my favourite might be the third costume. It just has a nice colour and design. But I just can't call it definitive - It's appearance was too short in Civil War.

Also I really don't like the coat.
Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page

Tomato

See, I'm actually surprised by how popular the CW costume has been. I like elements of the CW costume, but the color is so muted on it that it just looks atonal to me. I much prefer the Avengers 1 design because the colors pop out a bit more.

And yes, the A2 costume is just the coat over the original outfit for the most part. But I included all the variants of the Thor costume, and the coat is what many people think of regarding AoU. That said, I don't much care for it either... I get what it's trying to do, but it loses the arrowhead motif from the Avengers costume.

Ouflah

I really like the design of the elements of the CW Hawkeye suit. I'm not happy about the purple being muted to the extent that it has in the film (although it looks perfect in the concept art and in the picture of the Hot Toy you posted), but I didn't really like the color of his other costumes anyway. If anything, the other two feel more red than purple.

EDIT: Oh, let me add that I've been waiting for them to have the classic mask or a helmet like this in a film.
"Superhero deaths are basically an unproven hypothesis at this point."
-Mike Exner III

Tomato

I can agree to that. I actually do like the hue of the purple in CW, I just don't like how muted it is. In the film it just doesn't look that interesting. I'd prefer something more vibrant.

daglob

If he isn't going to have a loincloth and a goofy winged mask, I prefer the first one.

Actually, for the background of this Hawkeye, this makes sense. In the comics, Clint Barton started is career as a circus performer, and something as mundane as any of these wouldn't get him much notice.

Podmark

Personally I'm not huge on Hawkeye's winged mask and I'm very nervous of the MCU trying to adapt that to film. I think it would be difficult to make look good in real life, but I'll be happy to be wrong.
Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page

Tomato

I agree to a point (I think the sunglasses work well enough for most outfits), but I think the winged motorcycle helmet Ouflah posted would be a nice nod and wink to the comic design as well.

I guess my main issue with the Hawkeye outfits in general is this outdated notion that all stealthy characters need to wear nothing but black. Black actually ISN'T that stealthy a color... ACTUAL ninjas actually wore navy blues and dark grays (Similar to the Stealth Cap suit in Winter Solder), because an all black outfit actually made them MORE noticeable, particularly when running across rooftops at night, where they might be silhouetted against the moon and stars. It's the same reason military camouflage isn't black.

Ouflah

I've always wondered-- why does it seem many people are somewhat apprehensive about giving Hawkeye his mask, but enthusiastic about giving Wolverine his mask? I mean, Hawkeye's mask wings were smaller towards the start (as were Wolverine's), but eventually they both shaped up to be almost exactly the same design, just with different colors.
"Superhero deaths are basically an unproven hypothesis at this point."
-Mike Exner III

Tomato

Actually, in my experience a lot of the same people who have expressed apprehension over Hawkeye's mask have many of the same feelings about Wolverine's. I made a "realistic" movie version of Wolverine's costume for FF (which sadly got purged in a computer crash) and got similar concerns to those expressed by Hawkeye's mask.

The difference, if there is any, has to do with how the character is identified. As similar as his mask is, Hawkeye isn't exactly identified by his mask, since he's worn a variety of different costumes and even identities over the years (Even the 90s Avengers cartoon had him wearing a gambit mask). By contrast, even in costumes where Wolverine doesn't have an actual mask, his hairline often approximates the shape of the mask he's known for. If you Google "Wolverine icon" half of the results will be stylistic representations of his mask.

Glitch Girl

I'm really surprised they didn't try to do this version
Spoiler

(spoiler: no I'm not :D )

Spoiler
-Glitch Girl

"Cynicism is not maturity, do not mistake the one for the other. If you truly cannot accept a story where someone does the right thing because it's the right thing to do, that says far more about who you are than these characters." - Greg Rucka

daglob

Now, that looks like a circus costume.

And I read when he got it, just can't remember. Did he get it from a circus?

Podmark

GG, that has to be one of my least favourite comic costumes ever  :thumbdown:

I find Hawkeye and Wolverine's masks to be similar but notably different. The modern Wolverine mask is sharper, and to me at least seems more integrated to the overall design. I think the key difference is how they handle eyes. Wolverine gets the white eyes, creating a more inhuman look - he's a threatening mutant. Hawkeye's costumes tend to play at a more human look so he usually gets large cutouts around the eyes - he's a relatable every-man hero. I feel that difference is hard to translate to real life without looking silly. But if they were motivated I'm sure Marvel Studios could give it a solid try.

However, I'm perfectly fine with how they've handled Logan's look so far in film. I've never watched one of those movies and said "why doesn't Logan have his mask?". Actually I've never done that for Hawkeye either.
Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page

Glitch Girl

Quote from: Podmark on November 18, 2016, 12:53:40 AM
GG, that has to be one of my least favourite comic costumes ever  :thumbdown:

:D  Yeah, it's a total train wreck isn't it?  It's not even flattering, it makes almost no sense except in a circus context and even then barely, it's just... oy.

But I HAD to post it.  :D
-Glitch Girl

"Cynicism is not maturity, do not mistake the one for the other. If you truly cannot accept a story where someone does the right thing because it's the right thing to do, that says far more about who you are than these characters." - Greg Rucka

spydermann93

Looks like Apollo of Greek Pantheon fame became a mullet fan :P