News:

Rings of Reznor!

Main Menu

15 Things wrong with Civil War

Started by HarryTrotter, July 04, 2016, 04:07:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HarryTrotter

To kinda return to Linkara being overly sensitive about stuff-in a recent review of Star Trek/Green lantern he lists almost all unfortunate implications various series had over the years(like Cisko being space Jeezus),and then blows up about Enterprise supporting genocide.Only that being one of the few Enterprise episodes I do remember(Dear Doctor),it plays out nothing like that.And really,there was no simple choice there.
''Even our origin stories have gone sour.''
Jon Farmer

kkhohoho

Quote from: Spade on September 09, 2016, 01:46:55 PM
To kinda return to Linkara being overly sensitive about stuff-in a recent review of Star Trek/Green lantern he lists almost all unfortunate implications various series had over the years(like Cisko being space Jeezus),and then blows up about Enterprise supporting genocide.Only that being one of the few Enterprise episodes I do remember(Dear Doctor),it plays out nothing like that.And really,there was no simple choice there.

He was trying to be funny. No need to take it so seriously.
The Golden Age; 'A different look at a different era.'

http://archiveofourown.org/works/1089779/chapters/2193203

HarryTrotter

No,he was pretty serious about it.Granted,the evolution doesnt really work like that,but hey,its Star Trek.
Honestly,Im not the greatest ST fan around.I saw that episode once on TV.
On the other hand,if your reviewing ST comics,dressed in Star Fleet uniform while wielding Nitpickers guide to Star Trek,you should get that the episode presented a no win situation.Which motivated the whole Prime Directive thing.
Jon Farmer

Silver Shocker

Haven't seen the review yet, but yeah, I'm sure he was being serious, since this isn't the first time he ranted about that specific thing. I read his Tumblr and he ranted about that there once.
"Now you know what you're worth? Then go out and get what you're worth, but you gotta be willing to take the hits. And not pointing fingers, saying you're not where you want to be because of him, or her, or anybody. Cowards do that, and THAT AIN'T YOU. YOU'RE BETTER THAN THAT!"
~Rocky Balboa

HarryTrotter

I really fell behind in the past year or so,so checking whats new,I see Trouble #3 is reviewed.  :lol:
You do have to wonder how high were Quesada and the gang when they came up with this?
Jon Farmer

kkhohoho

Quote from: Spade on February 20, 2017, 10:04:31 AM
I really fell behind in the past year or so,so checking whats new,I see Trouble #3 is reviewed.  :lol:

<__<

>__>

>__<

We're really in a lot of trouble-- {is shot}
The Golden Age; 'A different look at a different era.'

http://archiveofourown.org/works/1089779/chapters/2193203

Deaths Jester

This bullet brought to you by DJ's pistol. Thank you.
Avatar picture originally a Brom painting entitled Marionette.

HarryTrotter

And everyone starts wondering-Why the hell did Peter save aunt May?Shes kind of a terrible person.
But then again,Mark Millar and likable characters
Jon Farmer

Tomato

Trouble is a fiasco, but ultimately a harmless one. Aunt May's done enough questionable things (like knowingly harboring an escaped supervillain in her home despite her nephew living there at the time) even without that being in continuity, and it's one of those books that would be safely swept into obscure continuity hell if not for AT4W.

Don't get me wrong, it is not by ANY means good, but Trouble is nothing compared to the likes of Sins Past and OMD.

HarryTrotter

Well,thats true.And it contradicts enough established continuity,that its pretty safe to say its not canon.
Jon Farmer

HarryTrotter

Jon Farmer

Tomato

Fair warning, that IS an april fools video, so the opening is a bit odd. Linkara (and most of the other producers) has got a running gag of doing mock versions of other channel's formats, and this year was Jim Sterling.

HarryTrotter

Everything else,was unfortunatly,true.High collars and everything.
Jon Farmer

Silver Shocker

Oh snap! I didn't see that one yet. Definitely going to have to check that one out later. I loves me some Jim effing Sterling Son.

*watches first few minutes, bursts out laughing* Oh my goodness, wearing the getup, he's a dead ringer for Jim. Bloody brilliant! I was kinda expecting him to do the accent though....OMG Z-Bots I totally had those as a kid. Awesome.

On a slightly related note, the announcement of Linkara's Exile's retrospective (which I haven't actually watched yet)_ actually got me back into the book after probably close to a decade. I'm knee deep in the Proteus arc, and man was that a great book.
"Now you know what you're worth? Then go out and get what you're worth, but you gotta be willing to take the hits. And not pointing fingers, saying you're not where you want to be because of him, or her, or anybody. Cowards do that, and THAT AIN'T YOU. YOU'RE BETTER THAN THAT!"
~Rocky Balboa

detourne_me

A pretty good Jim Sterling parody!
I would love to see some comics reviews from Jim... maybe the 90s Dark Horse AVP stuff.

BentonGrey

That was quite entertaining and quite accurate.  That's pretty much exactly what I said at the time. 
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman
Check out mymods and blog!
https://bentongrey.wordpress.com/

spydermann93

Tomato

Quote from: Silver Shocker on April 03, 2017, 06:12:55 AM
On a slightly related note, the announcement of Linkara's Exile's retrospective (which I haven't actually watched yet)_ actually got me back into the book after probably close to a decade. I'm knee deep in the Proteus arc, and man was that a great book.

Ironic, since that's about where Linkara fell off before coming back to the series for the retrospective.

Silver Shocker

Don't know about Linkara, since I haven't watched the retrospective, but me dropping off at about this spot wasn't due to lack of interest or declining quality IMO, but simply being distracted by other things. In fact where I am right now I feel it got a lot better due to the artist changing from Jim Calafiore to Paul Peletier.
~Rocky Balboa

HarryTrotter

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=st5I3RqvRPY
Linkara reviews first 4 episodes of JoJos bizarre adventure.
Jon Farmer

HarryTrotter

Im trying to catch up on Superman stories between Man of Steel and the triangle era and I reached that Sleez story.
And Linkara DID review that.
Honestly,didnt know Oberon was human,all this time I thought he was a New God.
And contrary to popular belief,Superman and Big Barda didnt actually...they just kissed.
Jon Farmer

Silver Shocker

If I recall correctly Oberon was a carnival folk.
~Rocky Balboa

HarryTrotter

He was the asistant of the first Mister Miracle.The guy Scott Free got the name and the costume.
Everything else about the story...the eww element aside- Sleez mindcontrols Superman and Big Barda,tries to make a video nasty starring them so he could sell the tape and finance an army to attack Apokolips.Why not just have Superman beat up Darkseid,or at least rob a bank?
Jon Farmer

HarryTrotter

Not really.The comic kinda states that hes using the MegaRod to control them.
Jon Farmer

daglob

I remember Oberon and Fire having a kind of a "thing" going.

Wow, how long ago was that?

HarryTrotter

Jon Farmer

Silver Shocker

Look the important thing is that storyline gave us the memetic awesomeness that is Darkseid chilling out on a couch. Which caught on to the point that someone made an entire Tumblr account devoted to images of Darkseid sitting a some kind of comfy chair, couch of throne.
~Rocky Balboa

HarryTrotter

Quote from: Deaths Jester on March 30, 2019, 09:07:00 PM
...maybe Sleez had heard Amazing Grace bragging about bedding Superman and how his super...appendage.... was, that he just had to see it himself, Harry?
Hes supposed to be exiled so I doubt hes up to date...crud,I already gave this more thought then John Byrne ever did.And I guess Sleez and Grossman (really) subscribe to that theory of Superman needing super strong women for...that.

The comfy chair is a reference to a scene from New Gods where Orion comes home and Darkseid is chilling in a wooden chair.Similar thing also happens a bit later in Doctor Fate.And JLI.It actually happens a lot doesnt it?
Jon Farmer

Silver Shocker

So that didn't in fact originated in the Superman story, and the creative teams were in on the joke even back then? Neat, today I learned something.

Anyway, Linkara did mention in his review that most of the stuff involving what Sleez was using his powers to make Superman and Big Barda do was implied. And really, comics that weren't Mature readers, from that era, tended to be more implicit in terms of such things. As one of the producers of Doctor Who put it "There's no hanky-panky on the Tardis." At some point they got less subtle, it was probably sometime between the 90's where the Spider-Man writer were trying to spice up Peter and MJ's marriage, and let's say when Scott Summers started a relationship with Emma Frost.

Quotesubscribe to that theory of Superman needing super strong women for...that.

Linkara mentioned that being bullcrap in his review of JLA: Act of God, and I'd say the logic involved makes about as much sense as most things in the comic book superhero genre, relatively speaking.
~Rocky Balboa

HarryTrotter

While it didnt go full mature readers,I assume it was a case of "look what we can get away with".
Anyway,others wrote about this story at leght and I cant really add anything else except WHO in the name of Rao thought this was a good idea?!
Jon Farmer