Main Menu

Mod Creation

Started by OrWolvie1, February 16, 2016, 05:02:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OrWolvie1

Quote from: OrWolvie1 on April 05, 2016, 05:09:15 AM
Quote from: spydermann93 on April 05, 2016, 05:03:53 AM
A few things:

1) I would suggest posting the images in spoiler tags so that it's a bit easier for some people's computers to load

2) I see that Cap has the infamous "Pink Disease". An easy remedy is to convert his skin files to .dds format. Pretty simple, and if you need help, I'd be glad to assist with that :)

3) Those screens are looking really fun! :o Is that Payback in the background of the second pic?

Thanks for the suggestions. And yes, the "pink disease" is really wrecking havoc with this Mod. Been driving me nuts! I'll try converting it and see what happens.

And I will try and post a little better pics of things here soon. And no, that's not Payback ;)

And yes, I could use some help in converting my problem meshes. I downloaded a copy of DDS2, but for whatever reason, it won't let me do it. Course, I'm travelling in uncharted waters here so any assistance I can get is greatly appreciated!

spydermann93

Anything that you need help converting, just pack them up and send me a link, either here or send it by pm, and I'll convert them all for you :)

Also, you can convert skins yourself by downloading Paint.NET. Kinda tedious (not hard at all, though), but not too bad once you get the hang of it.

BentonGrey

Drive by comment:

Hey Or, this is really coming together!  Great work man!  You've got an interesting team there, and I'll be looking forward to see what else you've got in store.

I'm glad Spyder is pitching in, and I'm sorry I'm absent at the moment.  I'm crazy busy as the semester heats up.

For converting skins (FF2 sometimes gets fed up with TGAs), I use XnView:
http://www.xnview.com/en/

It's simple, easy to use, has a really nice interface, and lets you convert an entire skin at once.  I highly recommend it. 

God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman
Check out mymods and blog!
https://bentongrey.wordpress.com/

OrWolvie1

Quote from: BentonGrey on April 05, 2016, 11:55:33 PM
Drive by comment:

Hey Or, this is really coming together!  Great work man!  You've got an interesting team there, and I'll be looking forward to see what else you've got in store.

I'm glad Spyder is pitching in, and I'm sorry I'm absent at the moment.  I'm crazy busy as the semester heats up.

For converting skins (FF2 sometimes gets fed up with TGAs), I use XnView:
http://www.xnview.com/en/

It's simple, easy to use, has a really nice interface, and lets you convert an entire skin at once.  I highly recommend it.

Thanks, Benton. It's been a learning experience to be sure. I took Spyder up on his suggestion and it seemed to help rather well, though, like he said, is rather tedious. Things are coming along slowly but are coming along. Still having AI issues with a couple of the villains, but I'm trying to figure it out. I'll check out XnView and see if that will help speed up the process a bit. Most all the villains thus far are performing as they should, with the exception of one. Seems, no matter what I do, he will NOT move so I dunno. But time will tell. I may end up having to replace him if I can't get him to perform properly.

OrWolvie1

Here's a couple of more screenshots for you who are following this. As you can see, Spyder, your suggestion worked like a charm :)

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

More to follow as things progress.

BentonGrey

Looking good!

Villain AI: Have you checked his AI settings in FFEdit?  What do they say, and have you generated custom AIs?  Most importantly, is everything properly branded with FFXEdit2?
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman

OrWolvie1

Quote from: BentonGrey on April 06, 2016, 02:33:43 PM
Looking good!

Villain AI: Have you checked his AI settings in FFEdit?  What do they say, and have you generated custom AIs?  Most importantly, is everything properly branded with FFXEdit2?

I checked FFEdit first, and have even tried switching the AI style but to no avail. As far as I know, everything is branded ok and I generated the custom AI, though I suspect that may be where my problem is because when I generated it, all my other characters whipped right through, except for a couple, which just seemed to lag really bad before finishing. I checked my hero directory and everything appeared ok, but I may end up deleteing all the AI files and regenerating them, to see if that doesn't cure the problem.

spydermann93

Have you tried looking at the "m25aidata.py" in the "Missions/scripts" folder?

They might have some lines referring to powers that you might have removed.

Also, make sure that your Heroes folder is clear of any m25ai or hero files related to the character as they might be causing conflicts.

OrWolvie1

Quote from: spydermann93 on April 06, 2016, 03:15:07 PM
Have you tried looking at the "m25aidata.py" in the "Missions/scripts" folder?

They might have some lines referring to powers that you might have removed.

Also, make sure that your Heroes folder is clear of any m25ai or hero files related to the character as they might be causing conflicts.

Actually, I never thought to look at the m25aidata.py. Thanks for the suggestion! I'll check it out and see if that's where the problem is.

bearded

Quote from: OrWolvie1 on April 06, 2016, 02:30:42 PM
Here's a couple of more screenshots for you who are following this. As you can see, Spyder, your suggestion worked like a charm :)

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Those are beautiful angles. How did you get them?

OrWolvie1

Quote from: bearded on April 07, 2016, 12:09:55 AM
Quote from: OrWolvie1 on April 06, 2016, 02:30:42 PM

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Those are beautiful angles. How did you get them?

Used the program Spyder suggested. it's called Fraps. Works like a dream!

bearded

No, I mean how did you get the camera angles so perfect? My angles are always top down.

OrWolvie1

Quote from: bearded on April 07, 2016, 02:53:12 AM
No, I mean how did you get the camera angles so perfect? My angles are always top down.

You have to put a command line in your localinit.py file. There was a post on here that I came across that talked about it. Here's what mine says;

ff.CAM_MIN_ZOOM = -280.0
ff.CAM_MAX_ZOOM = 3000.0

then it's a case of holding the Alt button and moving the mouse to raise and lower the camera angle to either see the whole map or a closeup. Works like a dream, as you have seen. Just open your localinit.py file with  notepad, put your commands in and save it. But don't save it as a txt file. :) Hope it helps.

bearded

OrWolvie1

Quote from: bearded on April 07, 2016, 05:19:42 AM
Thanks.

Anytime. That's what makes this community so great; everyone helps each other  :D

OrWolvie1

Here's a couple more screenshot updates, but keep in mind things are still very much in the troubleshooting stage so please bear with me.  ;)
Spoiler

Spoiler

Things are progressing slowly, but ARE progressing.

But, there is still one thing that I'm having an issue with. This may seem kinda odd, but I want to make a cutscene only mission, then have that lead into a base cutscene, then into an actual mission. is that even possible? or am I dreaming :)

OrWolvie1

Well, I got the AI thing figured out after going back through the FFedit2 to make sure all the characters were branded right and discovered that I had the AI disabled option checked on the one that has been giving me fits  :doh: talk about a bonehead mistake. But that part is working out rather well. Still working the bugs out of the cutscenes and the transitions between missions, hence my previous question, for those of you who are still following this thread. But that's where we are at this point.

spydermann93

I think Benton has some scenes like that in his mods.

Try contacting him and see if he has any tips :)

OrWolvie1

Quote from: spydermann93 on April 07, 2016, 08:49:45 PM
I think Benton has some scenes like that in his mods.

Try contacting him and see if he has any tips :)

I can do that. He's been loads of help thus far, but I know his schedule is pretty hectic these days. I'll shoot him a quick message and see what he can tell me :)

BentonGrey

No worries.  So, the DCUG has a mission like that. 

Essentially, you just create a series of CS.  Don't add any villains, just allies, and I think they'll end immediately after playing their CSes.  It's been a while since I did this, though.  What do you want to do, exactly?
God Bless

OrWolvie1

Quote from: BentonGrey on April 08, 2016, 01:33:22 AM
No worries.  So, the DCUG has a mission like that. 

Essentially, you just create a series of CS.  Don't add any villains, just allies, and I think they'll end immediately after playing their CSes.  It's been a while since I did this, though.  What do you want to do, exactly?

Basically, after the initial mission is over, I want to play kinda of an epilogue then change to another location to set up kind of a background story, then switch back to the previous location, setting the stage for the next encounter. I suppose, if need be, I can do a little shifting, tweeking a bit, and do it as a base/briefing CS prior to the encounter, would just need a slight rewrite

OrWolvie1

OK, Update. Things are progressing nicely, with one exception and I hope that one of you tech savvy people can help me out with this cause it really bugs me. Is there any way to make the camera during the cutscenes focus on the FRONT of the various characters instead of the back of them, or the side of them? That, to me, kinda defeats the purpose in my opinion. Any help or suggestions any of you might have to offer would be greatly appreciated!  :D

hoss20

Depending on what your cutscene involves, here are the oprions from the FFX manual:

QuoteCamera on

Camera on Character zoom 100.0 heading 100.0

Move the camera to focus on Character with the given zoom and heading.  Zoom can take values from -300 to 1000+ with a default of -160.0 and controls how close the camera is to the character.  Heading can take values from 0 to 360 and controls the direction the camera faces.

You can substitute the name of a marker or a location tuple (x, y, z) instead of Character.

Zoom and heading are optional.

Cinematic camera on

Cinematic camera on Character1

Cinematic camera on Character1 to Character2

The cinematic camera (thanks to kuertee) will automatically pick a camera angle that includes the characters you want to focus on.  If you specify a single character, the camera will pick a nearby enemy as the second character to include.  If you include two characters, then the camera will try to include both characters in the frame.

So, it would appear that changing or inputting the heading value should fix the problem. It does say that the zoom and heading values are optional; so I'm not sure if you enter one value, that you have to enter both.

OrWolvie1

Thanks for the help, Hoss. I do appreciate it. I'll play around with it after I get a slightly more disconcerting problem dealt with, Perhaps, one of you fine individuals can offer some insight into this cause I haven't the foggiest notion where to look.

The various acts of my Mod seem to be coming along just fine, however, I am having an issue in Act 1. There are three encounters, which I won't go into at this moment in time, and the first encounter goes off without a hitch.However, in the second encounter, after the start cutscene takes place, one character can be selected, even attacks can be selected. However, said character doesn't move, react, attack, nothing. Even though in the previous encounter, it all worked just fine. Any thoughts, ideas, suggestions? :banghead:

OrWolvie1

Updates!
              OK, it's been a little while since I posted any progress on my mod. I ran through the basic stories last night, and things are meshing rather nicely with one exception, and I'm hoping one of you fellow modders out there can clarify things a bit for me. Act 1 plays beautifully. Got my AI issue addressed and dealt with so that's a good thing. Act 2 starts good, plays the two cutscenes I have written just fine. Then the game crashes. I pulled up the FF log file and this is what I get;

00:04:42.86: FF: Py_GetPath(.\System;.\System\PythonLib;.\Data\Missions\Scripts;C:\Users\Clayton\AppData\Local\Irrational Games\Freedom Force vs the 3rd Reich\temp;C:\Program Files (x86)\Irrational Games\Freedom Force vs The 3rd Reich\.\doomsday\missions\scripts;)
00:04:42.86: FF: Py_GetProgramFullPath(C:\Program Files (x86)\Irrational Games\Freedom Force vs The 3rd Reich\ffvt3r.exe)
00:04:42.87: FF: CMission::init(03_doomsday, Missions\03_doomsday\base.dat)

Ummm...the next act doesn't have a base file. Does every act require one? And if not, should I mark the mission in FFEdit as a submission to circumvent that? Or do I need to write a base file for it? Needless to say, I'm at a standstill until I get past this little problem.  :banghead:

BentonGrey

Every mission has to either have a base scene (even if it is just empty) or be marked as a submission, though that will make you use the same team.

Search for "traceback" in the script.log.
God Bless

OrWolvie1

Quote from: BentonGrey on May 10, 2016, 07:43:03 PM
Every mission has to either have a base scene (even if it is just empty) or be marked as a submission, though that will make you use the same team.

Search for "traceback" in the script.log.

But do I have to have a base.dat? Cause the game keeps looking for it and there isn't one for Act 2 as of yet. I had a base.py file in the mission folder and the game still crashed. I can do a little rewrite if necessary, though.

BentonGrey

If you have it set to be a submission, you shouldn't need one.

I've had trouble with submissions though.  I avoid them.  I didn't entirely remember why until you said that.  It seems likely I had a similar experience once upon a time.
God Bless

OrWolvie1

Well, THAT didn't work! I shifted a few things around and now it won't go past the first encounter. I'm taking a break cause I'm on the verge of throwing in the towel and saying the hell with it! Best to step back for a while. Cause right now, I have no figgin idea what the hell happened or what to do about it. Time to step away.  :angry:

OrWolvie

:banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

BentonGrey

Sorry, I certainly know the feeling.  Don't give up.  You WILL figure it out eventually.

I'm sorry I can't be of more help, but I am traveling for a conference this week AND trying to finish my grading and my own papers. 
God Bless