DC animated original movies

Started by HarryTrotter, January 30, 2015, 06:31:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HarryTrotter

IIRC both Gotham Adventures and the recent The Adventures Continue did their own versions of Under The Red Hood. Funny that two sequel comics did the same thing. Or not,since its kind of an obvious route to take.
I mentioned Azrael and Deathstroke before. Thou I could really do without Slade for a while.
I was trying to remember villains introduced after 2000 or so. I know Morrison threw in like 50 new ones in Batman #666...but not a whole lot of then with staying power,it seems. Flamingo,anyone?
Huh,they never did Black Mask...that's a obvious shoe-in.
Again,serialization doesn't mean it has to be 24; you can have separate cases and still have plots carrying over from an episode to the next one. Or idk,have conspiracy and standalone episodes like X-files or Ghost In The Shell.  :)
As for allies,I would be fine with either approach. I would like a few team-up episodes with the broader DCU.
''Even our origin stories have gone sour.''
Jon Farmer

Silver Shocker

They're airing JL vs the Fatal Five tonight, and I've got it on right now. It's still a nice, cozy little movie, but I wanted to take the opportunity to share this.

I knew full well the next time I watched this, I was putting this on after the first scene or two.

If they ever do a revival of JLU as a tv show, and I sure hope they do, I don't want a remix or a quick logo on black. I want a variation on this every week.

So rewatching it, I guess I'm right back to last year. Because I'm once again writing my notes as I go.

I double checked Jessica Cruz's page on the DC wiki since I'd forgotten (I'd read Johns' run of JL years ago and forgot the details) and I can now appreciate that Jess' origin story and the cause of her anxiety is directly based on the comics. That's a nice touch.

I'm...iffy on Wonder Woman attacking Jess in order to motivate Jess into action. I get the result she was going for and no doubt she wasn't going to actually hurt her, but I'm unable to decide if I think it's in character for WW, even the often agitated and less compassionate Diana of JLU this is partially based on a Geoff Johns story, and Johns was known for making WW especailly aggro. If I had to guess, I'd say having the returning voices helps make things feel consistant, whether they actually are or not.

Miss Martian's still the best in this. I was worried there weren't any more great lines from her that I'd forgotten in a year. There are. Yay.

"I'm Miss Martian, jacka$$".

I also have to take back something I said back in December. The "lunatic" Batman was bringing into Arkham wasn't Starboy, it was Bloodsport, a very violent, very deranged conspiracy nut. Criticism withdrawn.

I still don't like that 1) Starboy's in Arkham and 2. That Arkham looks more like an actual hospital than it's ever looked in anything ever because they want to mush real life in with the superhero stuff in an attempt to make it work. Arkham is where you put people like, well, Two-Face, Harley and Ivy, who actually appear in this movie. Starboy's powerful and erratic, but he's hardly a Batman villain.

*Batman says he dropped off Starboy 10 months ago*

Wait....10 MONTHS? What was the entire cast of this movie DOING for almost a YEAR?

*Fatal Five introduces themselves* "and this is...."

WW: Dead Man Walking?

Don't remember Diana being so kill crazy in JLU. It's been a few years since I've seen the first two Justice League seasons, maybe if I watched them again I'd think differently.

Going back to the original announcement of this movie, they wanted a team of distinctive villains, hence the Fatal Five. And you know what? I didn't originally comment on them at all, but they are good villains. It's fun to watch the JLU fight these guys, especially since this being a movie and not just three episodes of the show means there's presumably a bit more money to spend and/or lead time and thus the animation has a noticeable amount more gusto. Batman also looks especially well drawn in this, with nice detailing on his cape.

Here's another thing that's bugged me. What kind of fast food chain sells PUDDING with a burger and drink? The only reason they did that was for the "Arkham had pudding" gag. Just something that bothers me.

Miss Martian: "Flying cars. I guess the movies got something right." Gosh darn it MM, WHAT IS YOUR ORIGIN? Why does this movie tempt me so?!

Rewatching this movie.....the JL aren't actually in it THAT much. But a little JLU (and Miss Martian) goes a LONG way, and I already liked Jessica Cruz before they even started making this thing, so that probably counted for a lot.

I mentioned the nostalgic music in my original review, but I notice on a rewatch that it plays the Batman TAS music. Not the Danny Elfman theme, the theme music that would play in an episode of Batman TAS when Batman would show up. I can't remember if that music ever played in Justice League or JLU before this. I know for a fact the Superman TAS theme played in Twilight when Superman has his confrontation with Darkside near the end.

I may have missed something notable the first time I watched this. MM takes them inside Starboy's mind and we see Saturn Girl tell Starboy that if he's off his future meds for too long, it'll stop working period. Which is what happened in the story.

So I guess I have to take back that ENTIRE rant I had in December, because the movie covered their tracks on that, and I apparently missed that line or forgot (and the fact that I wrote the original review/comments the night I watched the flick makes it even sloppier on my part)

I still don't particularly care for the Starboy story, but they are promoting the Legion and one of the creators said Starboy's his favorite Legionaire so I'm not going to hold it against them for it. And I have to admit, I am a bit curious to look up the character on the ol' DC Wiki to see how he's been used in the comics.
"Now you know what you're worth? Then go out and get what you're worth, but you gotta be willing to take the hits. And not pointing fingers, saying you're not where you want to be because of him, or her, or anybody. Cowards do that, and THAT AIN'T YOU. YOU'RE BETTER THAN THAT!"
~Rocky Balboa

Silver Shocker

The trailer for Batman: The Long Halloween is out.

I must say, I am impressed. The art style for this is again using that Archer/Venture Brothers looking style with the thick black outlines, and it looks really, really nice. Compared to Dark Knight Returns, it's smoothing out the source material's messy art style is even more substantial. Batman, Grundy and Calendar Man look good, and Joker and Catwoman look great. I find myself looking forward to seeing this, which is itself impressive, as I started reading the comic book very recently and still haven't finished the first issue. I find myself forced to concede that if the art style of the book was more appealing I probably would be getting through it faster.

Voice cast is interesting, but fairly promising. In particular Jensen Ackles is playing Batman, which is a bit odd because he of course played Red Hood in Under the Red Hood, but he sounds good in this.

Pt 1 is going to be PG-13, while Pt 2 is going to be rated R. I'm not terribly familiar with the comic story so I don't know if that's warranted based on that, but I can't say I'm fond of starting with one rating and then upping the rating for the followup.
"Now you know what you're worth? Then go out and get what you're worth, but you gotta be willing to take the hits. And not pointing fingers, saying you're not where you want to be because of him, or her, or anybody. Cowards do that, and THAT AIN'T YOU. YOU'RE BETTER THAN THAT!"
~Rocky Balboa

Tomato

Hmmm. On the one hand, it sort of makes sense? TLH is a story about a series of murders, and if they're covering it in equal halves the first 6 issues are pretty tame (especially since I think it includes april 1st). Still, iirc there's nothing specific about the second half of the series that I feel necessitates an R rating other than "because we can"

Tomato

Real quick as an aside... I totally get not liking Tim Sale's art on the book (it's cartoonish in a way that doesn't really fit the mood of the book a lot of the time) but it grew on me. I think part of the reason I like TLH is because it's about Harvey Dent, and he's always been a favorite villain of mine.

That said, there's a pretty good fan made motion comic version on youtube, if you want to get through the original before the animated one comes out.

https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLP80QSKDMGerpUE2WH0TYNTzlUfWB-gcj

Silver Shocker

QuoteI totally get not liking Tim Sale's art on the book (it's cartoonish in a way that doesn't really fit the mood of the book a lot of the time) but it grew on me.

The main problem I have (which is largely not a problem with issue #1) is that the villains, particularly Joker, look hideous. Joker in particular would give the Maxx nightmares and not for the good reasons.

And even if it was the kind of exaggerated art style that I do enjoy, it doesn't particularly lend itself to an animated film, and I'm glad DC's taking a DKR approach and not doing a weaksauce middle ground like they did TKJ. The look of the movie is genuinely getting me interested.

Quoteif you want to get through the original before the animated one comes out.

If the movie comes out before I finish the comic (and it probably will) I'll put it off until right around the time it leaves the On-Demand, or whenever I finish the book. Whichever comes first. That's what I did with Red Son. I already bought the digital collection on the cheap on Comixology. Which is worth it just for the forward - which after New Teen Titans, Batman and the Outsiders, Death in the Family, Crisis, and Red Son, I should have expected by now.

Plus I don't need to worry about having one of the most famous and influential Batman stories spoiled online unless they pull a Hush or TKJ and make crap up, and I'm not particularly expecting them to.
~Rocky Balboa

Tomato

I... Kinda hope they do, a little bit.

Spoiler
TLH is at least in part, a murder mystery, and one of the hallmarks of that sort of story is revealing the mystery at the end... And while TLH absolutely does that, the issue is that... The pieces just don't line up.

Supposedly it's Gilda Dent responsible for the initial killings, with Harvey picking up later on, by Christmas or so. But Gilda was hospital bound for the second killing, meaning Harvey had to have picked up by then... Which could be the case, it's not made clear in the epilogue because Gilda speaks as though shed been responsible for more than one killing.

Silver Shocker

My feelings on the matter go back to Batman & Catwoman Hush.

Changing the ending makes it more surprising for those who know the original story, but at that point it is no longer a faithful adaptation, and when you change stuff for an adaptation and you don't do it very, very carefully and skillfully, the holes you've left in the story add up.

"So if you write a book where the butler did it, and people on the internet figure out that the butler did it, and you change it midstream so the chambermaid did it, then YOU RUINED THE WHOLE BOOK!"
~George R. R. Martin

Here's two specific examples: Watchmen and Resident Alien.

-Watchmen, as much as I like the movie, makes less sense because they changed the method of Ozy's plan. There's no real sense of how the world leaders could fight Doc Manhatten, and Bubastis shows up despite the genetic engineering plot being completely scrubbed out.

-Resident Alien is an excellent show, but the change to Harry's transformation is a massive plot hole that stands out like a sore thumb. In the comic it's a mental illusion, but in the show we're told multiple times it's a molecular shapeshifting transformation, yet we still have 1 in 1 million people being genetically capable of seeing through it.....somehow.
~Rocky Balboa

Tomato

I don't disagree. The issue is more about making what was *intended* clearer...

To use your analogy, the ending of TLH is like... if the butler did it, but the explanation implies the chambermaid assisted. However, we know she was tied up in the cellar at the time she was supposedly doing the helping. The pieces still line up that the butler did it, the explanation just throws a lot of unnecessary issues into the mix that don't need to be there. That's what I mean when I say I hope they fix it a little bit: make it clear that the butler did it and cut out the fluff.

Silver Shocker

Your description actually sounds quite a bit like Identity Crisis. I would imagine TLH is a lot less messy than that story is.

In this case the key phrase would in fact be "do it very carefully and skillfully."
~Rocky Balboa

Tomato

Oh, it's far cleaner than that mess. The solution given does fit, but it requires a lot of stretching and supposes that'd be eliminated if they just cleaned up a few plot points.

Spoiler
The biggest issue I have is with the thanksgiving killing. According to Gilda, she was the one behind the first 3 killings... which works for Halloween and Christmas (one murder each, both she was reasonably able to get to and had motive for), but her being behind the Thanksgiving murder supposes she snuck out of a hospital bed covered in bandages after nearly being killed, tracked down the gang responsible, and managed to kill 5 hardened criminals with a 22 caliber gun.

That issue is eliminated if Harvey was responsible for the second Holiday murder... he'd be much more capable of taking out 5 guys than Gilda, and he wasn't stuck in the hospital at the time. It'd also make him responsible for the 2nd and 4th Holiday murders, because Two Face.

Admittedly though, that introduces the issue of him managing to take out 5 guys and then not managing to kill Alberto (the implication is that since it's Harvey's first killing as Holiday he botched the job/didn't have the stomach for it) but that can be hand waved with Alberto not being his Target and getting in the way, etc.

Silver Shocker

That's a lot of specific details. I might have to read the rest of comic and come back if I'm to have anything specific to say about that.
~Rocky Balboa

Silver Shocker

Here's one I totally forgot to mention - The DC animated movie of The Long Halloween will include a Losers short. That's certainly different. I watched the movie of that on Netflix last year, with Jeffrey Dean Morgan, Idris Elba, and Chris Evans - really fun movie, kinda like the A-Team.
~Rocky Balboa

HarryTrotter

Justice Society WW2 was actually good. Most of it is just action scenes,thou. But we saw the story about Barry going back in the past before,so not like we could do something new with it.
Also, it's listed as a standalone movie,but shares the voice actors and artstyle with Superman MoT. And end up with
Spoiler
Justice League
setup. Obvious setup is obvious.
So if this is a start of a new shared universe,Im cool with that.
Jon Farmer

HarryTrotter

Unless there are 2 Batman animated shows involving Bruce Timm coming up,what we thought is a Batman tas sequel is actually a new JJ Abrams reboot.
Jon Farmer

Silver Shocker

Yes, I did indeed see that. But Bruce Timm is involved, at least on a visual level. Design looks similar to Golden Age Batman to me. Which is appealing to me after he popped up in Generations Shattered and Generations Forged.

Considering Beware the Batman went off the air in 2014, it would be amusing if they were making up for lost time with two different shows.

It's called "Caped Crusader", because you can call it anything, as long it's Batman-related terminology and hasn't been used yet, apparently.

There is some mumble-mouthed buzzword promotion describing the show, that sounds potentially intriguing but doesn't necessarily mean anything.

The series is described by Warner as a "reimagining of the Batman mythology" that will feature "sophisticated storytelling, nuanced characters, and intense action sequences all set in a visually striking world."

That description doesn't give any concrete idea of what the show will actually be about, and there's not guarantee it will deliver on any of the quality implied by some of those words.

I saw that kind of potentially good-sounding but ineffectively vague marketing applied to another IP I'm fond of recently.

Could be neat to have a new Batman series coming out. 
~Rocky Balboa

HarryTrotter

Im willing to give it a chance,but Jar Jar Abrams does not have a good track record with reboots.
Jon Farmer

Silver Shocker

Considering Matt Reeves is listed as another one of the producers, and he's the director the upcoming Batman movies, I don't think J.J. being involved means much of anything. It's a figurehead position, most likely. J.J.'s involved because of his other gigs for HBO Max, Justice League Dark and the Overlook Hotel series he's doing.

J.J.'s work, particularly the projects people consistently bring up, are far more the product of the writers credited to those projects.

It is my conclusion based on all available evidence J.J. will have little to no involvement with this show and his fingerprint will not be reflected in the final product. Timm is one of the producers and you can tell it will look like his work based on the promo art.

I have no particular expectations about this show whatsover. We know nothing about it, and a Batman cartoon has always risen and fallen based on the individual writing of the individual episode.

Beware was the only Batman cartoon to be serialized and it still wasn't that good. Greg Weisman's one of the consistently best showrunners in animation and his episodes of The Batman could have been written by anyone.

I don't wanna jump to conclusions. I need more intel.
--------------------------------------------------------------------
They're making an Injustice animated movie. My thoughts on it:

[offtopic]I should have seen this coming, really.

I've had a copy of the complete edition of Injustice 2 for over 2 and a half years. I should get to work playing my way through that.

Now, having not read the Injustice comic past one issue, which I did like, I can say right out of the gate, what my problem with an Injustice movie is. Outside of the fact that the general premise was played out in DC content when Injustice was a new game (something that was discussed here on FR at the time) my issue with this is that the broad premise for the fights in Injustice (a drug that gives non-powered characters super strength) is a unapologetic plot device to justify the fact that Injustice is a video game based around one-on-one fights. Unless the comic or animated film does more to get mileage out of this concept, I could do without them bothering with that and just letting the narrative play out in a more straight forward manner.

I can't say I'm thrilled at this, but DC's choices as to what to make and not make an animated movie out of in the last few years baffle and confuse me so I'll roll with it. Assault on Arkham was a Batman: Arkham series tie-in movie that was paying off a Suicide Squad tease that otherwise went nowhere, and that was actually one of my favorite DC animated movies of the last ten or so years, so we'll see. [/offtopic]
----------------------------------------------------------
Watched Justice Society: WWII.

[offtopic]It had a bit more to offer than I was expecting. Which is good. It went up on the on-demand a week ago and change, but I was willing to wait a bit because I wasn't sure how interesting it would be.

Movie started out pretty good but I really zoned out by the end.

Story wise, Barry's a pretty decent central protagonist. Black Canary has some solid sarcastic quips throughout.

As in the trailers and promo clips, animation is a mixed bag. Some things look really good in motion, others look somewhat lacking. The art style with it's bold black outlines is equally mixed.

The animation for super speed in particular is a mixed bag, with Barry and Jay in the movie. There's ambition in the super speed sequences, with very obvious influence being taken from the Fox X-Men movies version of Quicksilver. Soldiers are hit with shockwaves in slow motion and go flying when the perspective changes back to regular speed, but it also has a strangely underwhelming execution. Jay's incredibly underwhelming superspeed assault from the trailer is immediately followed up with a sequence that looks better. For every sequence that looks cheap, there's one that looks better, usually immediately after. It does kinda seem to me like the movie's animation was budgeted towards making sure it was most consistent during the final act.

Since Barry's the central character in this, we see him a lot, which means I have to look at his hideous cheekbones and sleepy eyes all the time. As I've mentioned when the trailer hit for this, hair cares not for our physics. WW's hair looks like a helmet painted to look like her hair, Black Canary's hair doesn't move in the motion the way it should, and Steve Trevor's bang in front of his forehead doesn't move the way it should when his head moves.

Action sequences featuring WW and other characters such as Jay beating up soldiers, seen in trailers, generally will contain more action in the final film, so it was nice to see those sequences in full.

Here's some very interesting trivia:

DC animated movie producer Butch Lukic revealed this movie is repurposed from now-defunct plans for a cancelled animated WWII-set Wonder Woman animated series that was intended for the DC Universe streaming service. The pitch was rejected as it was believed by execs that there would be no interest in any WW-centric media prior to the success of the first live action movie.

Spoiler
The movie starts out with an opening title sequence in the style of an old movie - such as one that came out in the black and white era.

We see Flash visiting Metropolis before traveling through time, and is sent there while taking part in a battle between Superman and Brainiac.

Because Jay is The Flash, Black Canary dubs Flash "Future Boy". And Wonder Woman, being overly literal, calls him that right after.

Kept out of the trailers for this movie is Aquaman and Superman. Aquaman gets brainwashed for a large chunk of the movie, while Superman is the one from Man of Tomorrow.

A time-displaced Clark Kent in this has a moustache. They make a few jokes about this. I don't know if this was meant to be a reference to the 2017 Justice League movie or not.
[/offtopic]

Returning to an earlier message I glossed over when the trailer first came out.

Quote from: NyteDragonAnd this is Hourman's first animated appearance, AFAIK.

I couldn't remember, so I looked this up. Hourman makes non-speaking cameos in several episodes of Justice League Unlimited, and has a non-speaking cameo in the opening credits of the animated movie of Justice League: New Frontier, and -more substantially - The Rex Tyler incarnation of Hourman appears in the Batman: The Brave and the Bold animated series episode "The Golden Age of Justice", voiced by Lex Lang.
~Rocky Balboa

Tomato

So i did sit down and watch The Long Halloween Part 1 and, with one possible exception (it's not complete who knows) I thought it was a solid adaptation.

Spoiler
So for the most part the story changes I noticed were to make things fit a bit tighter (the unfortunate side effect of being a sprawling year long story is that there's a lot to cut down and condense, especially in such a way that it flows and isn't just rushing through stuff). I thought most of the bigger changes worked well, and there's so many little moments I enjoyed because i know what twists are (I believe) coming.

Also it fixes the biggest issue i have with the original mini and thank goodness.

That said, if there's a misstep in the mini, its the ending. Not the post credit, that's fine... The death of Alberto.

Look, Alberto was always a red herring. And he died at that point in the comic too... But (SPOILERS for the comic) he's not really dead, and his death wasn't witnessed. Here... He's dead. He was shot like 6 times and was chopped to pieces by a propeller, not to mention was told Batman's identity (selina just blurts it out, another misstep imo but not as annoying) so unless he actually IS Holiday in this version that's a death sentence because, y'know, gotta prevent that secret id coming out.

I dunno. It just feels... Forced to me. They did a good job of setting up clues for him, having him be apparently dead then coming back in part 2 would have potentially had a bigger impact than in the comic.

That said... I'm intrigued by the stuff with Gilda. There's some good set up there and i really want to see where it goes.

Silver Shocker

I meant to post here again so I'll touch on Long Halloween a bit. I did end up reading the TLH comic in its entirety, and I found it was good. I see why it's considered a classic. I also saw the animated movie, both parts by now, and yeah, it's pretty good. It does indeed have some alterations that really pile up by the end of pt 2. And yet the stuff that's based directly off the comic is neat. I especially like the long stretches of dialogue-heavy footage with no music playing, it really sets the tone.

Movie exclusive stuff that I found interesting:

Spoiler
The final scene with Gilda is still in it, but they change it as part of their new alterations. I'm not sure how I feel about it. Red herring or not, Alberto kinda gets screwed over in this adaptation, which is too bad, as he was an interesting character in the book.

Also Poison Ivy's role is beefed up, with her being teased in part 1's post credit scene, and a recurring bit about an entranced Bruce/Batman having a fantasy sequence. It's an embellishment, but I didn't mind it so much.

Pt 2's post credits sequence is Green Arrow and Flash (Flash being in the same style as the JSA movie) coming to the door on Halloween to see Bruce. Has me curious if that's meant to be a one-off joke or a tease for a later movie.

Another quick bit. I've been researching older DC comics recently and discovered that the "strange ritual" involving Silver Swan in Wonder Woman: Bloodlines that I talked about back when I reviewed the movie, was in fact directly based off a scene from the comics with her. So I got my answer.

Now, the next DC animated movie has been announced, and it's a curious one. A Catwoman animated movie with an anime-style look. Voice cast and cast of characters is interesting. Batwoman and Cheetah are in it, along with Solomon Grundy (Steve Blum), Black Mask (Jonathan Banks), Tobias Whale (Keith David), King Faraday (Jonathan Frakes), Talia Al Ghul (Young Justice Outsiders' Zehra Fazal, reprising the role from Batman: Death in the Family), and Kelly Hu as Cheshire (also the same as Young Justice).

Mike from Breaking Bad (Jonathan Banks) is interesting casting for Black Mask. I didn't like the casting of him as Jim Gordon in Arkham Knight for being too gruff IMO, but I could totally see his voice working for a mobster like Black Mask. In a sense, Mike kinda was a mobster. Keith David as Tobias is damn good casting. Will Riker is always a treat. And while I didn't like the overuse of Zehra Fazal in YJO, she's definitely got range. But I still haven't seen the proper version of Death in the Family yet, so I haven't heard her as Talia yet.

Curious project, but I don't know if I'd go out of my way to rent it, as I'm not a big fan of Catwoman. I never saw the Batman Year One spotlight short either. Young Justice's Greg Weisman writes, which might explain the YJ links. He did something similar in his Green Arrow short from years ago (which I admit I also never saw)

I'd probably watch this if Teletoon ever airs it on tv or it ends up on a streaming service I actually have. I know some English versions of Netflix have a few of the newer DC animated movies and now that I know that I can get HBO Max in Canada these days I might spring for it in the future.
~Rocky Balboa