DC animated original movies

Started by HarryTrotter, January 30, 2015, 06:31:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HarryTrotter

Superman Man of tomorrow- its an okay origin story. The artstyle looks very much like Archer,which I found distracting.

Later this year we should also get the 2-part Batman The Long Halloween. That should be interesting,as long as they don't try adding to it.
''Even our origin stories have gone sour.''
Jon Farmer

BentonGrey

Long Halloween was quite good.  I'd be much more interested in an adaptation of that story than I was of the Killing Joke, which I'll be happy never to read again.
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman
Check out mymods and blog!
https://bentongrey.wordpress.com/

HarryTrotter

In general,I think the straight adaptations ended up pretty good. I liked Year One and DKR movies better then the original comics. But when the movies tried to add their own things,like in the Killing Joke,thats when it goes off the rails.
Jon Farmer

Silver Shocker

I also liked Year One and like DKR more than the original comic. As for Long Halloween, I've only read a freebie of the first issue, and otherwise never bothered with it. The art style didn't appeal to me, and I'm not entirely decided whether I'm going to bother with the rest before watching an animated movie of it.
"Now you know what you're worth? Then go out and get what you're worth, but you gotta be willing to take the hits. And not pointing fingers, saying you're not where you want to be because of him, or her, or anybody. Cowards do that, and THAT AIN'T YOU. YOU'RE BETTER THAN THAT!"
~Rocky Balboa

BentonGrey

Art style isn't great, but it's a good story.

Yeah, Year One was good, and DKR seemed pretty good.  But both of those are good stories to begin with.
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman

HarryTrotter

But DC could never leave well enough alone,so they will continue to tag them with sequels for all eternity.

Oh yeah,I recently rewatched Batman vs Dracula and remembered its a sequel to The Batman. Which was a decent series,judging from the dozen or so episode I actually watched. It wasn't Batman TAS,but nothing will ever be. Which kinda makes me wonder how would Batman VS Dracula look in that universe.
Jon Farmer

Silver Shocker

Quote from: BentonGrey on January 21, 2021, 04:08:01 AM
Art style isn't great, but it's a good story.

Considering how much I enjoyed Red Son, and how much more I got out of the experience of watching the animated movie because I could compare the two (book was better, much better), and considering I had a similar experience with Stargirl, I think I will grab a digital collection of Long Halloween when it goes on sale on your recommendation and give it a once-over before the movie comes out.

QuoteYeah, Year One was good, and DKR seemed pretty good.  But both of those are good stories to begin with.

See, I read DKR WAY too late, so I got almost nothing out of it. The story was just ok for me and the chicken-scratch editorial cartoon drawings really were a turn off for me. Which is a big part of why I enjoyed the unique elements of the animated film so much.

Mind you, DKR is still a masterpiece compared to the embarrassing joke that is DK2 and ASBAR, but I digress

Quote from: HarryTrotter on January 21, 2021, 08:06:53 PM
But DC could never leave well enough alone,so they will continue to tag them with sequels for all eternity.

I think it could be kinda cool if DC did an animated movie or that's a continuation to a story from the comics. Kinda like the HBO Watchmen, if you will. A unique sequel to DKR that wasn't terrible could have been neat, and I think them NOT doing an animated movie with Oracle as a followup to the post-credit scene in Killing Joke was a missed opportunity (on the plus side, we're getting that in Titans, so cool) Anyway...

QuoteOh yeah,I recently rewatched Batman vs Dracula and remembered its a sequel to The Batman. Which was a decent series,judging from the dozen or so episode I actually watched. It wasn't Batman TAS,but nothing will ever be. Which kinda makes me wonder how would Batman VS Dracula look in that universe.

I've always been an advocate for "The Batman" (I also mentioned The Batman vs Dracula briefly when giving my thoughts on Mask of the Phantasm). It may make me something of an outcast and contrarian (per usual) but I never felt the need to bash it for not being Batman TAS (which seemed to be the main issue people had with it) and I had fun with it and appreciated that it dabbled in serialized storytelling a fair bit. I've always found it surprising how few Batman cartoons went for that (Beware the Batman did, but I bet you all forgot that show existed?)

But anyway, this is a fantastic opportunity to segue to some recent news (an as-yet unconfirmed report for now, actually) I've been dying to share with you all...

Batman the Animated Series reportedly to get a revival on HBO Max.

IT BEGIIIIINS!

"Now you know what you're worth? Then go out and get what you're worth, but you gotta be willing to take the hits. And not pointing fingers, saying you're not where you want to be because of him, or her, or anybody. Cowards do that, and THAT AIN'T YOU. YOU'RE BETTER THAN THAT!"
~Rocky Balboa

Tomato

There's a fan made audio play version of the long halloween that's up on youtube that's pretty good. Pulled it up to scratch the itch to re-read it when the project was announced. Dunno when I'll watch the movie version... I love the story, but Loeb... Ugh I've come to hate the man, and I can't stomach the idea that even one cent of my money goes to him if I purchase.

Silver Shocker

QuoteDunno when I'll watch the movie version... I love the story, but Loeb... Ugh I've come to hate the man, and I can't stomach the idea that even one cent of my money goes to him if I purchase.

The man or his work? I know Loeb's gotten a bad reputation as a writer in the last decade or so, but he's been attached to so many projects that a hard boycott on his work can cut you out of a lot (for example, he was involved in the Marvel Netflix shows). Me personally I've never hated his work, even Ultimatum, which is a bad story for sure, but it was the Ultimate line so perhaps that level of attachment just wasn't just there. In any case, he did create Sam Alexander, who I like, and his older work (for DC in this case) is DC, so I can view it as simply buying some DC and not him.

If I could buy Empyre, which was co-written by Dan Slott, someone I swore I'd never buy anything from again, I'm personally not going to feel bad for buying a reprint of an old Jeph Loeb story.

In any case, surely the movie will come to DC Universe/HBO Max. Or in my case it'll air on Canadian tv about half a year later or so.
~Rocky Balboa

Tomato

It's because of the Netflix shows I have a problem with him. Apparently, he mandated that they stop focusing on several characters in Daredevil and Iron Fist because "Nobody cares about Chinese people and Asian people." and was directly responsible for the "Danny MUST be a white savior" thing (which I don't hate, but in context of the statement... ngl, it's kinda ick)  I also generally have not liked the vast majority of his work on both Marvel TV (where he was often a stooge for Perlmutter) or in Marvel comics.

And I know, it's an empty thing and I'm probably overstating things. But one of the things the film is being advertised on is specifically "this is that great Batman story written by Marvel's TV guy, who's working for us now!" completely ignoring that many of the worst aspects of those shows all trace back to him, which puts me off the whole project, despite the fact that I do love TLH.

Like, I'm sure it'll be ok. I don't know how well the story will translate, even over two parts (it's literally a story stretched across a year of actual in universe time) but it's also pretty straightforward.

HarryTrotter

Judging by Marvels cartoons,Loeb was always loyal to DC.

As for the sequels...DKR was perfectly fine on its own IMO. This goes double for Watchmen. But DC has been milking them for decades. Hbo show is one of the worst examples of that. Just slap "Watchmen" on any unrelated cr@p to get some legitimacy.
Jon Farmer

BentonGrey

Quote from: HarryTrotter on January 22, 2021, 06:30:06 AM
Judging by Marvels cartoons,Loeb was always loyal to DC.

Okay.....that's funny, ha! :D
God Bless

Silver Shocker

It's funny, but I can't say I agree with it. Yes, Loeb torpedoed Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes, but each of the shows made by him since (Ultimate Spider-Man, Avengers Assemble, Hulk, Guardians and Marvel's Spider-Man) either got steadily better as they went, or in the case of MSM, was good throughout (I haven't seen S3 yet, but I'm sure it's good). See, I can say that because I've actually watched all of them. Hulk was the weakest, but it still had a pretty epic finale with a whole bunch of characters teaming up.

Marvel's Spider-Man, for example, did Superior Spider-Man and drastically improved on the original story by having Otto actually act like Peter to convince people, and actually become a genuine good guy over time.
~Rocky Balboa

HarryTrotter

For me,that whole universe had waaay more misses then hits. Ultimate Spiderman,much like TMNT 2012, had potential but wasted all of it chasing cheap laughs.
Jon Farmer

Tomato

Yeah, I'm with Spade on this. While I haven't watched most of the Loeb era shows start to finish, I watched season 2 onward for USM... and yeah, I love elements of that show, but I also found it incredibly frustrating to watch. I can't imagine going back to it ever again, despite the highs it occasionally reached. Both it and Avengers Assemble were based on some pretty poor foundations, USM with it's annoying wannabe TT/anime interjections and talking down to the audience, and Avengers Assemble with it's "MCU but not" tone and style. Both admittedly got better, but I feel like that's in spite of Loeb's influence... he didn't write the shows, he just set up the foundations for them, and those foundations were terrible compared to what came before.

And none of that's going into the animation style of most of them, which tries so hard to be "realistic" and "cool" but in motion often looks dark, lifeless and boring.

BentonGrey

I think my hatred of the terrible animation in those shows and my deep and lasting resentment that they arrived by killing a vastly better show are both well documented at this point, ha. :P
God Bless

HarryTrotter

Back to the Batman TAS revival...Im cautiously optimistic. Batman and Harley Quinn didn't exactly inspire confidence. Depend how they do the "adulting" part. I would like to see villains they couldn't do back then,like Victor Zsasz,for example.
Sadly,some of the VAs passed away in the meantime,so there will be some big shoes to fill.
Jon Farmer

Silver Shocker

QuoteBack to the Batman TAS revival...Im cautiously optimistic. Batman and Harley Quinn didn't exactly inspire confidence. Depend how they do the "adulting" part. I would like to see villains they couldn't do back then,like Victor Zsasz,for example.
Sadly,some of the VAs passed away in the meantime,so there will be some big shoes to fill.

That's about the size of it. I'm fine with recastings. Batman and Harley Quinn wasn't hurt by recasting, and neither was Justice League vs the Fatal Five. Batman & Harley Quinn was hurt by rather bad padding and material that was unlike the show it was a revival of.

A Batman TAS will not be ruined by Tara Strong voicing Harley Quinn. Alfred not being voiced by Zimbalist Jr, however, would be quite sad, but we could all get used to that. He was never in the Arkham games after all.

I'm in a curious position with BTAS. I like it but never loved it, so I could look forward to this and NOT be too worried or angry at them screwing it up or compromising it.

I wouldn't be grudge them a little bit of light swearing or violence like in Fatal Five. It shouldn't be ANYTHING like B&HQ though.

What they need to do is make Batman the Animated Series.

Not some other show.

I wouldn't be opposed to tie-ins to Batman Beyond or JLU. Batman & Harley Quinn had a scene referencing the JLU and the watchtower, and it was arguably the best scene in the movie.

Girl's Night Out was a sort of crossover with Superman TAS with Livewire and Supergirl, I would never begrudge them anything like that.

I personally think it could be cool if they made it more serialized, and I imagine DC would like that prospect, but true Batman TAS purists would likely prefer it to be done-in-one and I wouldn't begrudge them that. That could still be a lot of fun.

The possibilities for this are great if DC wants to get their head out of their backside and take this seriously.
~Rocky Balboa

HarryTrotter

I always thought done-in-one approach was due to syndication and the production. And so the kids could tune in whenever they want. Later on,Jl and JLU were pretty linear. Each 2-parter was its own story but you had plots and subplots running from one to the next.
The digital comic sequel did Deathstroke and Azrael,that a good example of things that weren't in the cartoon that I would like to see. Suppose its too much to hope for Hitman?
Or maybe do that Death episode Dini and Gaiman wanted to do. Thats an example of what you couldn't do back then,but you could (theoretically) now on a streaming service.
Jon Farmer

Silver Shocker

QuoteI always thought done-in-one approach was due to syndication and the production. And so the kids could tune in whenever they want.

Almost certainly. Had that kind of thing on my mind recently, especially since I've been watching the original 50's run of The Twilight Zone (IT'S SO GOOD!  :D)

QuoteSuppose its too much to hope for Hitman?

I don't know about that. JLU did the Suicide Squad and had Huntress fighting the mafia in JLU.
~Rocky Balboa

Silver Shocker

Hey so I meant to respond to this for a while, and it lined up for me to do so now.

First off, I ended up hearing what exactly Loeb said that prompted this slightly off-topic digression.

QuoteApparently, he mandated that they stop focusing on several characters in Daredevil and Iron Fist because "Nobody cares about Chinese people and Asian people." and was directly responsible for the "Danny MUST be a white savior" thing (which I don't hate, but in context of the statement... ngl, it's kinda ick)

I have now seen the original quote in full and in context, and it's nice to now have that proper context, and thus now I can say....yeah, that was incredibly stupid of Loeb to say from any way you come at it, and I do think... a bit? Less of him. I don't think I'm going to do a boycott of his work, but yeah, in that specific instance, he was really stupid.

Anyway, as for the other thing, I'm going to take a page from Tomato's page and split it into a separate thread because I have a lot to say and it will derail the thread more than it already was.
~Rocky Balboa

Silver Shocker

So we now return to the topic of actual DC animated movies, because I can't possibly not talk about this....the trailer to JSA is out!!!!  :lol:

Well Benton, give yourself a nice tasty cookie, because you called it. It looks like hot garbage.

And THIS is why I say Marvel and DC's animated output looks like glorified fan projects, because this crap looks homely as hell. What in the WORLD did they do to Wonder Woman's hair and Barry's face?

Let's break it down:

1) Alright, here's the #1 positive out of the way....Wonder Woman is BADA$$ in this! Craning her neck to dodge a tank shell, giving a superspeed smackdown to some ratzis and divebombing a tank. WW's business in this! It's too bad her hair looks like the 2nd worst thing I've ever seen!
2) WW's voice in this could not possibly be more obviously based on Gal Gadot.
3) Jay Gerrick hitting a few Nazis in "super speed" at the 1:15 minute mark would be the ACTUAL worst thing I've ever seen. You're gonna tell me someone at DC looked at that and went "SHIP IT!" Yeah, Quicksilver ain't got nothing on that. Good gravy.
4) On the other hand, Black Canary fighting a giant robot octopus looks surprisingly WELL animated. Which makes me think that visually this is going to be an extremely uneven production. Unfortunately I don't think there's a drop of blood in the trailer, so our earlier discussion of this thing is pretty much moot.

Should be some kind of interesting.

Now, this part IS interesting....a number of people in the comments theorize that ol' Baza in this is actually the same Barry from The Flashpoint Paradox all the way through to Apocalypse War....which would actually be really interesting, and I think when this thing ships I'm going to read spoilers to find out if that's the case and I'll give it a rental if so because that sounds intriguing.

One thing for sure, the darkest timeline was in fact NOT the one full of Nazis in it.
~Rocky Balboa

Nyte Dragon

I'm actually looking forward to this one. I've said before that I have a soft spot for 'legacy' characters, and that includes the beginnings of those legacies. It will be interesting to see how they explain Wonder Woman in the JSA and Wonder Woman in the Barry-Flash's JLA. Is it the same person? Is it her mother? (Like DC ret-conned it)

I don't think the animation style is .... horrible. It's not great, by any means, but I've seen ALOT worse.

A

LOT

Worse!

I do like WW's accent. And it might be due to Godat's portrayal, but it makes perfect sense. Wonder Woman is from a Grecian region, and she would have an accent. 

And it's going to have Hawkman, Dr. Fate, and Hourman. Hawkman got a bit of a FUBAR intro in the DCAU, and he's never really been more then background dressing in any of the current animated movies. Dr. Fate was treated decent enough, but I want more. And this is Hourman's first animated appearance, AFAIK. Too bad they don't have Wildcat, Atom (Al Pratt), or Sandman (Wes Dobbs) included as well.
Hate is always foolish and love is always wise.
 ⁓Doctor Who

Silver Shocker

When I say it "looks like hot garbage" I do mean "look" as in the visuals. The movie itself, could indeed quite peachy-keen. Like I said, a JSA WWII movie is pretty darn refreshing right of out the old gate for how different it is than the usual DC output.

QuoteI don't think the animation style is .... horrible. It's not great, by any means, but I've seen ALOT worse.

A

LOT

Worse!

I imagine most of us have seen a lot worse, at the very least I've seen such in reviews of stuff I didn't watch in full myself. But I was hoping for something more visually pleasing and more consistent in terms of impressive sequences. There's some energy for sure (again most of the sequences involving WW and that business with Black Canary).

QuoteI do like WW's accent. And it might be due to Godat's portrayal, but it makes perfect sense. Wonder Woman is from a Grecian region, and she would have an accent.
I've probably said this before, but when I watched BVS the first time, it took me pretty much the entire movie to get used to Wonder Woman's accent because my main reference point was the JLU show and, you're right, it probably would be more accurate.
~Rocky Balboa

HarryTrotter

The animation looks like Venture Bros on 1/4 of its budget.
Jon Farmer

Silver Shocker

I saw people in the comments say it looks similar to Superman: Man of Tomorrow, which I don't particularly agree with, but SMOT was compared to Archer, and that show and these two movies do share a thick-outlined look that could draw that comparison.
~Rocky Balboa

HarryTrotter

I figured out what I want from Batman TAS continuation.

The Threatening Three. Mastermind,Perfesser, and Mr. Nice.
Thing was that they are based on Mike Carlin,Archie Goodwin and Denny O'Neil. They really deserve a tribute episode.

Btw,#13 was a tribute to Archie Goodwin,and damn,it still hits.  :(
https://comicsworthreading.com/2016/06/12/batman-gotham-adventures-13-made-me-cry/

*[img=50%] code doesn't work apparently,sorry.
Jon Farmer

Silver Shocker

Nice.

I bought the digital collections of The Batman Adventures on Comixology this past year, due to rewatching the show on Canadian reruns. I read them in bits on and off, and finished the original run and stopped there, as I wasn't sure which ones after that I wanted to get, and focuses on other newer books. Some of the earliest comics I ever had as youngling in the 90's included early issues of it, including a trade of the first 6 or so issues (featuring Joker's TV related scheme, the Scarecrow two-parter with Robin, and the Hitchcock/Citizen Kane homage) and two individual issues (Joker's comic caper and Robin vs Ventriloquist and Scarface). As such I have a nostalgic fondness for the series. Not all of the stories in it were the most interesting, but some stories, in some ways, were superior to the show. The story about whether "Harvey Dent" still resides within Two-Face is the exact kind of story I was always very disappointed was nowhere to be found in the show after Two-Face's origin (unless there's one I forgot about and missed more recently). And The one guest starring Superman was hilariously incompatible with the Timm Verse (Luthor was the version from the 90's, with the red hear and beard, and Superman had the mullet). The Mr. Freeze story in the comic version of Holiday Nights is really rather nice, and of course rendered incompatible with canon due to the stories they did do with Freeze.

I didn't know the Threating Three were in the Gotham Adventures, but it is neat to see. I read the DC wiki's trivia about the issues I read, and learned what the gag with them was, but I gotta admit, I wasn't too crazy about their stories myself.

Yesterday I figured out what I want from a Batman TAS continuation.

Guest appearances from the other shows in the Timmverse, most are which were made after Batman TAS. No brainer, should have thought of it the moment I heard the rumors of the rival.

Ideally, I want this AND Justice League both back, with the possibility of a crossover. I mean, I found out recently that Transformers Cyberverse is getting a fourth season, meaning two preexisting Transformers cartoons (it and the Netflix War for Cybertron) will actually be going on at the same time, and we already got Girl's Night Out and that episode of Superman where Superman has to stand in for Batman, so I like to think it could happen.

And Catman!  :D There's a nifty story right near the end of the Batman Adventures comic run where Batman loses his memory and Catwoman convinces him to be his partner in crime, and he becomes Catman. An in-name only version of Thomas Blake appeared in an episode of The New Batman Adventures, but I want Catman.

I also wouldn't mind them bringing in some characters that were created after the show ended. But the lack of some characters ever even being implied to exist in Batman Beyond could make things tricky. Though Mystery of the Batwoman did happen.

The return of Phantasm and Batwoman could be cool.

I don't suppose the comics are considered canon.

The possibility of a revival does make me want to read more of the tie-in comics. Maybe I should grab me some more collections on sale.
~Rocky Balboa

HarryTrotter

IIRC Deadshot was in JL/JLU but not Batman,so that would be one. Some villains like Zsasz never showed up(because again,a kids show),so that's an opportunity. We would probably get to its own version of Under The Red Hood. From newer villains,we have Hush ofc,Professor Pyg,Great White Shark...James Gordon Junior,The Architect...Doctor Aesop...Not the greatest lineup.but you could work with that. There is ofc,The Court of Owl,but that's been done to death in recent times.

IIRC Batman TAS never really did an evil Batman,so you could have Wraith,Prometheus or Owlman.  Well,I would hate to hype myself up for something that might not even happen. (Like the Judge Dredd tv show that never was)
Jon Farmer

Silver Shocker

Quote from: HarryTrotter on February 04, 2021, 11:06:33 AM
IIRC Deadshot was in JL/JLU but not Batman

Yeah, I always loved me some Floyd Layton. How about Bruce Wayne: Murder/Bruce Wayne: Fugitive? Or No Man's Land? Azreal?

Funny thing about Deadshot, and I meant to mention this here, I was shocked and delighted to learn recently that the tie-in comic to the Batman & Harley Quinn animated movie featured the Suicide Squad and Harley getting brought into their ranks. How cool! I haven't seen the pages, but I'll have to check it out!

QuoteWe would probably get to its own version of Under The Red Hood.

I read that the reason we got a kinda Jason/Tim hybrid was because they would never have been able to do the crowbar scene or the death of Jason Todd in the show. To which my answer would be: "Then why not just do Jason Todd and not kill him off?" It's like they thought the only thing interesting about the character before the Red Hood was how he died (and yes, I'm aware that's a total straight line).

As for the others, I was thinking good guy Batman characters, but I'm liking your suggestions, actually...

QuoteJames Gordon Junior,

James Gordon Junior in Batman TAS, now that would be interesting.

How about the Flamingo?  :D

Oberon Sexton? Zur En Arh? Doctor Daedalus? Black Glove including Dr. Hurt and Jezebel Jet?

BLACK MASK!!!  :D

QuoteThe Architect...

Architect feels very appropriate for Batman TAS. A villain who represents Scott Snyder's appreciation for Gotham as a character in itself. I feel like that would be right at home for BTAS.

QuoteThere is ofc,The Court of Owl,but that's been done to death in recent times.

I would argue the Court has never been done full justice outside the comics. The upcoming video game looks like it'll the one to pull it off IMO. Batman vs Robin came close, but they changed Talon and basically made him Nobody from Tomasi's Batman & Robin (who could also be a good villain to bring in)

QuoteIIRC Batman TAS never really did an evil Batman,so you could have Wraith,Prometheus or Owlman. 

Don't forget Killer Moth!  ^_^ The comic book Batgirl Year One did posit him as a kind of early nemesis for the Barbara Gordon Batgirl, and Babs is indeed a big part of Batman TAS.

Oh, Anarky! Who did indeed appear in The Batman Adventures.

Now me, personally, even with my above comment about Batman Beyond....I was thinking Batman allies. But given JLU, it would probably be best to not balloon the cast, and make the villains something you can shuffle in and out.

Now this makes me of a really nifty angle. Bring back Batman AND JLU, and have JLU be the show with the serialized storytelling and the massive fluid cast, and Batman the go-to source for more accessible self-contained stories with a more lean, focused cast.

I'm almost always more a fan of serialized storytelling, and it's certainly in vogue these days (thought I love Batman Beyond) but it would be a great way to give both shows its own flavor.

Also I want the Bat-Embargo and any variation of it that might impact the show Thanos-snapped out of existence. Audiences are not idiots. They understand full well there are multiple versions of these characters. Especially after Crisis and the multiple different tv iterations of Teen Titans/Titans.

Now another question would be, should the revival have such a heavy emphasis on Batgirl, Robin and sometimes Nightwing, or it should it become more Batman-centric and reduce the number of times Batgirl and Robin appear to something closer to S1 of Batman TAS? I think you know full well my stance (I'd want them to be in most of the episodes, but not necessarily all) but this IS supposed to be a revival of Batman: TAS, so, as I said before, it should probably be what fans who loved BTAS more than I would want and enjoy.
~Rocky Balboa