News:

Rings of Reznor!

Main Menu

Sentinels of the Multiverse Game 5

Started by catwhowalksbyhimself, December 26, 2014, 11:34:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Glitch Girl

I'll start with regular Unity and see how that goes.
-Glitch Girl

"Cynicism is not maturity, do not mistake the one for the other. If you truly cannot accept a story where someone does the right thing because it's the right thing to do, that says far more about who you are than these characters." - Greg Rucka

Reepicheep

Uncle Yuan

"But there's no use crying over every mistake
You just keep on trying 'till you run out of cake
And the science gets done, and you make a neat gun
For the people who are still alive."

catwhowalksbyhimself

Quote from: Uncle Yuan on January 06, 2015, 02:02:28 AM
And I'll be regular Sentinels.

Ha ha--no.  Just for that, I let the pirate kill you now.

It's a quiet day in Freedom Tower.  Legacy is at home with his family, Wraith is busting up a new gang in Rook City, Bunker is a top secret mission for the military, and Tachyon and Absolute Zero are field testing some cryo suit upgrades near the North Pole.  Unity was ecstatic at being left to monitor things while the Freedom Five were away.  Maybe they weren't going to treat her as a sidekick anymore.  Maybe she was getting the respect from the adults that she deserved.  Then Tachyon asked Tempest to keep an eye on her.  And then gets sent to act as tour guide to the Sentinels instead of doing real hero work.  Even Idealist infectious enthusiasm does nothing to get her out of her foul mood.

In the meantime Parse and Expatriette are engaged in a shooting mach in the base's targeting range.  Or rather Expatriette is enganged in a shooting match.  Parse is occasionally pausing from studying data on her ipad is hit a bullseye with her bow before going right back to studying.  Expatriette is both annoyed and determined by this.

A sudden noise announces the shattering of the peace and a large pane of glass. Time-traveling pirate captain La Capitan steps through what is left of a north-facing window.

"I am Maria Helena Teresa Fafila Servanda Jimena Mansuara Paterna Domenga Gelvira Placia Sendina Belita Eufemia Columba Gontina Aldonza Mafalda Cristina Tegrida de Falcon.  Captain Maria Helena Teresa Fafila Servanda Jimena Mansuara Paterna Domenga Gelvira Placia Sendina Belita Eufemia Columba Gontina Aldonza Mafalda Cristina Tegrida de Falcon to you.  You have been boarded.  Prepare to pay for your interference in my activities.  Surrender now and you shall--"

Catching sight of the Sentinels, whose tour has taken then right into that hallwall, she screams "YOU!  Why is it always you four! Kill them!  Kill them now!"

It is La Capitan's turn.

She starts with her timeship, La Paradoja Magnifica in play.

She plays A Motley Crew: One-Shot--Shuffle the Villain trash and reveal cards from the top until (H) minus 2 Crew cards are revealed. Put the other revealed cards back in the trash.Play the top card of the Villain deck.

There is no trash at present.

A Motley Crew plays A Motley Crew: One-Shot--Shuffle the Villain trash and reveal cards from the top until (H) minus 2 Crew cards are revealed. Put the other revealed cards back in the trash.Play the top card of the Villain deck.

There are no Crew in her trash.

A Motley Crew plays "Walk the Plank!": One-Shot--La Capitán deals the Hero Character card with the highest HP 3 Projectile Damage. That Hero's Player cannot use Powers until the start of the Villain turn.

Expatriette takes 3 points of damage and cannot use powers.

La Capitan deals the highest Hero target 4 hp damage.  Tempest, Parse, Expat, and Unity are all tied at 26 hp.  Who would like to take the damage?  Here's the current status with opening hands to help you decide.

Effects in play:
Expatriette cannot use powers

Side:The Corsair
Spoiler

Side A--The Corsair
At the start of the Villain turn, if there are 3 or more cards under this card, flip La Capitán's Villain Character card.Whenever a Hero card is destroyed by a Villain card, put it under this card.At the end of the Villain turn, La Capitán deals the Hero Target with the highest HP (H) minus 1 Projectile Damage.

Side B--Split Across Time
At the start of the Villain turn, each Villain Target regains X HP, where X = the number of cards under this card. Whenever La Capitán would be dealt Damage, move a card from under this card to the appropriate trash. If you do, prevent that damage. At the end of the Villain turn, if there are no cards under this card, flip La Capitán's Villain Character card.
HP: 75 Highest Villain Target
Cards in Play:
La Paradoja Magnifica
Spoiler

La Paradoja Magnifica:15 hp, Relic, Timeship--At the end of the Villain turn, play the top card of the Villain deck. At the start of the Villain turn, shuffle the Villain trash into the Villain deck.

HP: 26
Available Powers: Squall: Tempest deals all non-Hero Targets 1 Projectile Damage.

In Play: None
Spoiler

Hand:
Spoiler

Reclaim from the Deep:One-Shot--Each player may take a card from their trash and put it on top of their Hero deck. You may draw a card.
Lightning Slash:One-Shot--Tempest deals 1 Target 5 Lightning Damage.
Electrical Storm:Ongoing, Limited--At the start of your turn, Tempest deals each non-Hero Target 1 Lightning Damage.
Into the Stratosphere: One-Shot--Select 1 non-indestructible Villain card in play, other than a Character card, and put it on top of the Villain deck.Tempest deals the Villain Target with the highest HP 2 Projectile Damage.

Writhe
HP: 14

Doctor Medico
HP: 13

Mainstay

Idealist
HP: 11 Lowest Hero Target

Spoiler

Hand:
Spoiler

Fling into Darkness: One-Shot--One of your Heroes deals 1 Target 3 Melee Damage.If that Target now has 4 or fewer HP and Writhe is active, destroy that Target.
Horrifying Dichotomy: One-Shot--If Dr. Medico is active, he deals 1 Target 3 Energy Damage.If Writhe is active, he deals 1 Target 3 Infernal Damage.
Caliginous Form: Ongoing, Signature--The first time Writhe would be dealt Damage each turn, reduce that Damage by 2 and redirect it to the Villain Target with the highest HP.
Blackout: One-Shot--One of your Heroes deals 1 Target 2 Melee Damage.If Writhe deals Damage this way, the Damaged Target then deals each non-Hero Target 2 Infernal Damage.

Available Powers
Pinpoint Shot: Parse deals 1 Target 2 Projectile Damage.

Spoiler

Hand
Spoiler

Between the Lines: One-Shot--One Hero may use a power now. If that power deals damage, that damage is irreducible.
Between the Lines: One-Shot--One Hero may use a power now. If that power deals damage, that damage is irreducible.
Gauge: Ongoing--Power: Look at the top card of a deck. Put it on the top or bottom of that deck. You may draw 1 card.
Quick Calculation: One-Shot--Reveal the top 3 cards of your deck. Put 1 on the bottom of your deck and the other 2 in your hand.

HP: 26 Highest Hero Target

Available Powers
Load: Play a card.

In Play:
Spoiler

Hand:
Spoiler

Liquid Nitrogen Rounds: Equipment,Ammo--Play this card next to a Gun card.Change that card's Damage type to Cold. After that card's Power is used to Damage a Target, reduce Damage dealt by that Target by 1 until the start of your next turn. After that Power is used, destroy this card.
Assault Rifle: Equipment, Limited,Gun--Power: Expatriette deals up to 3 Targets 2 Projectile Damage each. Only 1 Ammo card may be in play next to this card at a time.
Quick Draw: One-Shot--Search your trash of your deck for either "Pride" or "Prejudice" and put it into play.If you searched your deck, shuffle your deck.
Hairtrigger Reflexes: Ongoing,Limited--Whenever a non-Hero Target enters play, Expatriette may deal that Target 1 Projectile Damage.

Available Powers
Bot-Hack: Destroy 1 Equipment card. If you do, put a Mechanical Golem from hand into play.

Ongoings In Play: None
Spoiler

Active Golems: None
Spoiler

Hand
Spoiler

Powered Shock Wave: One-Shot--Unity deals each Villain Target X Lightning Damage, where X = the number of Mechanical Golems in play plus 1.
Raptor Bot: 2 hp, Mechanical Golem--This card cannot be played during your play phase.At the end of your turn, this card deals 1 Target X Melee Damage, where X = the number of Mechanical Golems in play plus 1.
Swift Bot: 6   hp, Mechanical Golem--This card cannot be played during your play phase.You may play an additional card during your play phase.You may draw an additional card during your draw phase.
Volatile Parts: Equipment--Whenever a Mechanical Golem is destroyed, Unity deals the non-Hero Target with the lowest HP 2 Fire Damage.

Cards in Play: None

Spoiler

I am the cat that walks by himself, all ways are alike to me.

Outcast

Parse will take the damage.

Parse anticipating La Capitan's next move throws herself in the line of fire. "Get down!"

catwhowalksbyhimself

Parse takes 4 damage.

La Paradoja Magnifica plays "All Together Now!": One-Shot--La Capitán deals the Hero Target with the highest HP X Lightning Damage, where X = the number of Crew cards in play plus 1. If La Paradoja Magnifica is in the trash, put it into play.

Tempest, Expat, and Unity are tied for the highest, so who wants to take 1 damage?

Also, you guys are getting some lucky draws of things that don't do too much this early in the game.  How come I never get your kind of luck?

Reepicheep

Tempest will take the 1 for the team. He just can't bear to see a lady get hurt.

catwhowalksbyhimself

In that case, it is now Tempest's turn.

Effects in play:

Spoiler

Side A--The Corsair
At the start of the Villain turn, if there are 3 or more cards under this card, flip La Capitán's Villain Character card.Whenever a Hero card is destroyed by a Villain card, put it under this card.At the end of the Villain turn, La Capitán deals the Hero Target with the highest HP (H) minus 1 Projectile Damage.

At the start of the Villain turn, each Villain Target regains X HP, where X = the number of cards under this card. Whenever La Capitán would be dealt Damage, move a card from under this card to the appropriate trash. If you do, prevent that damage. At the end of the Villain turn, if there are no cards under this card, flip La Capitán's Villain Character card.
HP: 75 Highest Villain Target
Cards in Play:
La Paradoja Magnifica
Spoiler

La Paradoja Magnifica:15 hp, Relic, Timeship--At the end of the Villain turn, play the top card of the Villain deck. At the start of the Villain turn, shuffle the Villain trash into the Villain deck.

HP: 25
Available Powers: Squall: Tempest deals all non-Hero Targets 1 Projectile Damage.

Spoiler

Hand:
Spoiler

Reclaim from the Deep:One-Shot--Each player may take a card from their trash and put it on top of their Hero deck. You may draw a card.
Electrical Storm:Ongoing, Limited--At the start of your turn, Tempest deals each non-Hero Target 1 Lightning Damage.
Into the Stratosphere: One-Shot--Select 1 non-indestructible Villain card in play, other than a Character card, and put it on top of the Villain deck.Tempest deals the Villain Target with the highest HP 2 Projectile Damage.

Writhe

Doctor Medico

Mainstay

Idealist

Spoiler

Hand:
Spoiler

Fling into Darkness: One-Shot--One of your Heroes deals 1 Target 3 Melee Damage.If that Target now has 4 or fewer HP and Writhe is active, destroy that Target.
Horrifying Dichotomy: One-Shot--If Dr. Medico is active, he deals 1 Target 3 Energy Damage.If Writhe is active, he deals 1 Target 3 Infernal Damage.
Caliginous Form: Ongoing, Signature--The first time Writhe would be dealt Damage each turn, reduce that Damage by 2 and redirect it to the Villain Target with the highest HP.
Blackout: One-Shot--One of your Heroes deals 1 Target 2 Melee Damage.If Writhe deals Damage this way, the Damaged Target then deals each non-Hero Target 2 Infernal Damage.

HP: 22

Available Powers

Spoiler

Hand
Spoiler

Gauge: Ongoing--Power: Look at the top card of a deck. Put it on the top or bottom of that deck. You may draw 1 card.
Quick Calculation: One-Shot--Reveal the top 3 cards of your deck. Put 1 on the bottom of your deck and the other 2 in your hand.

Available Powers

In Play:
Spoiler

Hand:
Spoiler

Liquid Nitrogen Rounds: Equipment,Ammo--Play this card next to a Gun card.Change that card's Damage type to Cold. After that card's Power is used to Damage a Target, reduce Damage dealt by that Target by 1 until the start of your next turn. After that Power is used, destroy this card.
Assault Rifle: Equipment, Limited,Gun--Power: Expatriette deals up to 3 Targets 2 Projectile Damage each. Only 1 Ammo card may be in play next to this card at a time.
Quick Draw: One-Shot--Search your trash of your deck for either "Pride" or "Prejudice" and put it into play.If you searched your deck, shuffle your deck.
Hairtrigger Reflexes: Ongoing,Limited--Whenever a non-Hero Target enters play, Expatriette may deal that Target 1 Projectile Damage.

Available Powers
Bot-Hack: Destroy 1 Equipment card. If you do, put a Mechanical Golem from hand into play.

Spoiler

Spoiler

Hand
Spoiler

Powered Shock Wave: One-Shot--Unity deals each Villain Target X Lightning Damage, where X = the number of Mechanical Golems in play plus 1.
Raptor Bot: 2 hp, Mechanical Golem--This card cannot be played during your play phase.At the end of your turn, this card deals 1 Target X Melee Damage, where X = the number of Mechanical Golems in play plus 1.
Swift Bot: 6   hp, Mechanical Golem--This card cannot be played during your play phase.You may play an additional card during your play phase.You may draw an additional card during your draw phase.
Volatile Parts: Equipment--Whenever a Mechanical Golem is destroyed, Unity deals the non-Hero Target with the lowest HP 2 Fire Damage.

Spoiler

Uncle Yuan

The Idealist retorts, "It's always us because you're lame and it's our job to stomp out lame."

"Idealist . . . " warns Dr. Medico.

"What?  She is!  Fine!  But that boat is super-lame.  We need to get rid of it fast."

"There you are not wrong," Dr. Medico concedes.  "Hit it hard, team."

(I don't get available powers?)

Reepicheep

Enraged at this corsair and her motley crew(s) disturbing his tai chi, Tempest summons forth an electrical storm to buffet their airborne ship.

He then... um... squalls... at her? Is that even a verb?

Then draw a card.

Outcast

Recovering from La Capitan's surprise attack, Parse agrees with the Sentinels as she fixes her glasses.
"That time ship of hers could mean a lot of trouble for us." (Seeing that it could bring out more of her crew faster by playing an extra card from her deck every round.)

Before she can say another word, she sees Tempest unleash his powerful electrical storm.
"We could have taken the ship out quickly." (like in this round if we concentrated our attack on it first.)

And its a good thing that the card that would likely repair the ship just came up. Hopefully giving us time before another one like it comes up.

Reepicheep

I tried to work that one out too, but surmised we could only knock 13hp off it, if we went all out. Did I miss something?

This way I end up doing more damage to it and her by next round.

Deaths Jester

Fumbling with her jammed weaponry, Expat glares at the overblown La Captain.  "True that ship is a mighty problem but these overblown catter-walling villains always hide behind their lowly henchmen too."

(I had an answer to her constant barrage of crew.  I planned on playing Hair-trigger reflexes this turn.  Combined with Tempest's rolling attack - I don't remember what it was called - the two of us could at least hinder further crew members.)
Avatar picture originally a Brom painting entitled Marionette.

catwhowalksbyhimself

Quote from: Uncle Yuan on January 06, 2015, 12:08:50 PM
(I don't get available powers?)

I figured you already knew yours, so I could be lazy and negligent, but sure, I'll throw them up there with my next post, if you like.

Outcast

Quote from: Reepicheep on January 06, 2015, 08:12:53 PM
I tried to work that one out too, but surmised we could only knock 13hp off it, if we went all out. Did I miss something?

I could use my Between the lines card to shoot arrows twice. Adding 2 more points of damage.

But actually without using that, between the three of us, you, the sentinels and parse, we could do a total of 14. You being able to play a card that damages and use your base power. Unity can bring one of her bots into play that can deal an extra 1 damage too.

catwhowalksbyhimself

Quote from: Outcast on January 06, 2015, 09:44:03 PM

I could use my Between the lines card to shoot arrows twice. Adding 2 more points of damage.

No you can't.  The same power on the same card cannot be used twice within the same turn.  You could, however, let Idealist get the power use instead.  Same amount of damage, although you have no way of knowing that since you don't know the Sentinel's powers.  I'm beginning to see UY's point there.

Outcast

Quote from: catwhowalksbyhimself on January 06, 2015, 09:50:34 PM
Quote from: Outcast on January 06, 2015, 09:44:03 PM

No you can't.  The same power on the same card cannot be used twice within the same turn.  You could, however, let Idealist get the power use instead.  Same amount of damage, although you have no way of knowing that since you don't know the Sentinel's powers.  I'm beginning to see UY's point there.

Didnt know that about my card. I forgot to look at the Sentinels powers too. Yeah i can do that too.

catwhowalksbyhimself

Tempest deals La Capitan and her ship 1 point of damage each.  Tempest draws

Spoiler

Cleansing Downpour: Ongoing--Power: Each Hero Target regains 2 HP.

It is now The Sentinels' turn.

Effects in play:

Spoiler

Side A--The Corsair

HP: 74 Highest Villain Target
Cards in Play:
La Paradoja Magnifica
Spoiler

La Paradoja Magnifica:14 hp, Relic, Timeship--At the end of the Villain turn, play the top card of the Villain deck. At the start of the Villain turn, shuffle the Villain trash into the Villain deck.

In Play: Electrical Storm
Spoiler

Hand:
Spoiler

Reclaim from the Deep: One-Shot--Each player may take a card from their trash and put it on top of their Hero deck. You may draw a card.

Writhe
Power: Extract--Power: Reveal the bottom card of a deck. Discard it or put it on the top of that deck.

Doctor Medico
Power: M.D.--1 Hero Target regains 3 HP.

Mainstay
Power: Block--Power: Reduce Damage dealt to all your Hero Targets by 1 until the start of your next turn.

Idealist
Power: Telekinetic Jab--Power: The Idealist deals 1 Target 2 Psychic Damage.

Spoiler

Hand:
Spoiler

Available Powers

Spoiler

Hand
Spoiler

Available Powers

In Play:
Spoiler

Hand:
Spoiler

Available Powers

Spoiler

Spoiler

Hand
Spoiler

Spoiler

Reepicheep

Ah yeah, forgot about the Sentinel's powers. Sorry about that - I promise to get rid of that ship at the very start of next round if it doesn't go down this round.

Outcast

Quote from: Reepicheep on January 06, 2015, 10:54:07 PM
Ah yeah, forgot about the Sentinel's powers. Sorry about that - I promise to get rid of that ship at the very start of next round if it doesn't go down this round.

Yeah me too. I guess that's what you get when you choose Regular Sentinels. Either they don't have powers at the start, or you just don't see them. :P But if we added Idealist's power, we could have destroyed the ship by the time it was Unity's turn. Anyway, next round it is then.

Anyways, it helps to see their powers now. Since i don't always have access to the Sentinels Full Card Breakdown i downloaded, like when i'm using a mobile device or something.

Quote from: Deaths Jester on January 06, 2015, 09:32:37 PM
Fumbling with her jammed weaponry, Expat glares at the overblown La Captain.  "True that ship is a mighty problem but these overblown catter-walling villains always hide behind their lowly henchmen too."

(I had an answer to her constant barrage of crew.  I planned on playing Hair-trigger reflexes this turn.  Combined with Tempest's rolling attack - I don't remember what it was called - the two of us could at least hinder further crew members.)

La Capitan's deck has a number of cards that can destroy our ongoing and equipment cards. Not to mention a crew that has that power as well. So unless we have some way of controlling her deck (the time ship being there doesn't help either, with the extra draws, constant shuffling and trash recycling it can do), maybe it's wise not to rely too much on our ongoing cards. You definitely need those equipment cards though.

catwhowalksbyhimself

Alright, should have explained this sooner, but you really do need those equipment cards, because Unity like to dismantle them.

To explain, in order to build her robots, she needs to destroy equipment, hers or any other heroes.  It's polite, therefore, to offer equipment you can do without for that purpose.

She does have cards that offer alternate ways of putting bots into play.  Also, while she can't play bots like normal cards on her own turn, she can if she somehow gets the ability to play cards on someone else's turn.

Now back to our regularly scheduled playing.

Uncle Yuan

Just a little aside to share - I came home from work today to a box of Sentinels expansion fun from Greater Than Games!

Outcast

Quote from: Uncle Yuan on January 07, 2015, 01:31:33 AM
Just a little aside to share - I came home from work today to a box of Sentinels expansion fun from Greater Than Games!
Really? That sounds great. What does the expansion include? I saw this "Wrath of the Cosmos" expansion pack in the internet. Would it be that one? :)

catwhowalksbyhimself

I hate you now.  Mine hasn't arrived yet.

catwhowalksbyhimself

Quote from: Outcast on January 07, 2015, 01:56:56 AM
Really? That sounds great. What does the expansion include? I saw this "Wrath of the Cosmos" expansion pack in the internet. Would it be that one? :)

If he got it already, then he, like me, is a pre-order, so that would be Wrath of the Cosmos plus 3 mini-expansion (Hero Guise, Villain Wager Master, and Environment Omnitron IV) and 6 Hero promo cards.

So lots of goodness.

EDIT: Also it is your turn, UY

Uncle Yuan

Quote from: Outcast on January 07, 2015, 01:56:56 AM

Yep, Wrath plus three promo decks  (the "Mr. Mxyzptlk-ish" villain the Wager Master, a "break the fourth wall" goofball hero called Guise and the fourth incarnation of Omnitron as an environment) and promo character cards for KNYFE,  and the Prime Wardens - Argent Adept, Captain Cosmic (new in the expansion), Fanatic, Haka and Tempest.

Outcast

Pretty cool. Lots of goodness indeed.  :cool:

Uncle Yuan

Back to our regularly scheduled game . . .

Dr. Medico's golden glow intensifies as he lifts into the air.  "All right, Sentinels, let's remind the Captain why she doesn't try her tricks in Phoenix any more!  Writhe, with me.  Idealist, stay close to Mainstay but be ready."  With a wordless nod the inky form of Writhe flows after the glowing form of Dr. Medico.  For a second the Idealist looks like she's going to object, but at a warning glare from Medico she steps closer to the towering Mainstay, who plucks her up effortlessly and places her on his shoulder. 

In seamless tandem the flying pair soar around opposite sides of the floating ship, simultaneously releasing blasts of golden and pitch black energy.  La Paradoja Magnifica's timbers creak and buckle under the double attack. (Horrifying Dichotomy, both targeting the ship.)

"Now you, pepita" comes the bass rubble of Mainstay.  With a wide grin Idealist stands on her wide perch and forms a giant hammer of shimmering blue telekinetic energy and slams it into deck of the already listing ship.  "Super-duper-lame!" (Telekinetic Jab)

Uncle Yuan

Quote from: Deaths Jester on January 06, 2015, 09:32:37 PM

Hair-trigger Reflexes is a great card for La Capitan.  If Parse can get Exploit Vulnerability into play we'll be able to shred baddies as quick as they pop up.

catwhowalksbyhimself

That's a total of 8 damage to the ship.

The Sentinels draw

Spoiler

Restorative Burst: One-Shot--If Dr. Medico is active, you may flip one of your incapacitated Heroes and restore it to 3 HP.Each Hero Target regains 1 HP.

It is now Parse's turn.

Effects in play:

Spoiler

Side A--The Corsair

HP: 74 Highest Villain Target
Cards in Play:
La Paradoja Magnifica--6hp
Spoiler

In Play: Electrical Storm
Spoiler

Hand:
Spoiler

Reclaim from the Deep: One-Shot--Each player may take a card from their trash and put it on top of their Hero deck. You may draw a card.

Writhe
Power: Extract--Power: Reveal the bottom card of a deck. Discard it or put it on the top of that deck.

Doctor Medico
Power: M.D.--1 Hero Target regains 3 HP.

Mainstay
Power: Block--Power: Reduce Damage dealt to all your Hero Targets by 1 until the start of your next turn.

Idealist
Power: Telekinetic Jab--Power: The Idealist deals 1 Target 2 Psychic Damage.

Spoiler

Hand:
Spoiler

Restorative Burst: One-Shot--If Dr. Medico is active, you may flip one of your incapacitated Heroes and restore it to 3 HP.Each Hero Target regains 1 HP.

Available Powers

Spoiler

Hand
Spoiler

Available Powers

In Play:
Spoiler

Hand:
Spoiler

Available Powers

Spoiler

Spoiler

Hand
Spoiler

Spoiler