News:

Rings of Reznor!

Main Menu

Sentinels of the Multiverse Game 3

Started by catwhowalksbyhimself, September 20, 2014, 02:39:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

catwhowalksbyhimself

Welcome one and all.  Whether you've played before or not, feel free to jump in and claim a hero.  I'll be happy to explain any rules I need to for anyone that's new, but it's really quite simple.

Our Current Lineup:

Deaths Jester as Expatriette
Glitch Girl as Redeemer Fanatic
Reepicheep as Greatest Legacy
Outcast as The Sentinels

In addition to the previous heroes, all remaining heroes from the game have been added, so choose well.

Team: Freedom Five
Nemesis: Unknown, Vengeance Five (Fright Train), Iron Legacy
A soldier with a suit of military designed power armor, Bunker is a bit like Iron Man, only he can't fly and has a lot more guns.  Switches between different modes to gain different abilities.

Team: Prime Wardens
Nemesis: Ambuscade
A gentile soul gifted with super strength, ancient warrior traditions, and immortality.  He's like the Hulk if the Hulk looked more like a normal person, was highly educated, and was an elementary school teacher for his day job.  Okay, he's nothing like Hulk, but he does like to smash.

Team: None
Nemsis: The Ennead
Finding the staff of the Egyptian sun god Ra, a humble archeaologist uses it to transform into Ra, god of the sun!  Yeah, he's Thor with fire powers, basically.

Nemesis: Matriarch, Vengeance Five(Friction), Iron Legacy
A scientist with the power of super speed.  Not much else to say.  Plays a lot of cards and builds up momentum for spectacular stuff later on.

Team: Prime Wardens
Nemesis: Grand Warlord Voss, Iron Legacy
Former alien slave who escaped from the warlord Voss only to end up in the hands of suspicious humans.  He has powers over the weather and is also aquatic.  He even sometimes talks to the fishes.

Nemesis: Spite, Vengeance Five (Ermine), Iron Legacy
Billionaire heiress by day, stalker of criminals by night.  Female Batman, essentially.

Nemesis: Unknown, Vengeance Five (Proletariate), Iron Legacy
A lab accident has turned him into a creature of frost and cold.  As his cryo suit and chamber is quite expensive, he is forced by the government to join the Freedom Five in exchange for being allowed to live.  He isn't terribly thrilled about it.  The most complex hero in the game, he relies on hurting himself to damage his enemies.

Nemesis: The Dreamer
A powerful psychic from the future who has come to the past to save her younger self from the life of a lab rat that she suffered through.  Manipulates decks and offers buffs and debuffs rather that direct attacks.

Team: Freedom Five (Auxiliary member)
Nemesis: Unknown, Iron Legacy
A technopath who serves as Tachyon's lab assistant.  She builds an army of robots to assist her in battle.

Nemesis: Unknown
As old man who spends most of his time relaxing in his houseboat. Also he possesses the philosopher's stone and sometimes goes off to fight supervillains. The games most tanky tank who can depending on which form he is using can ignore most damage, or heal it back and hurt the enemy in response.

Team: Dark Watch
Nemesis: The Chairman
An elderly blind mechanic who happens to be a master martial artist. Fixer gets only one power, but can modify it with various tool and style cards.

Team: Prime Wardens (Leader)
Nemesis: Akash'Bhuta
With the power of ancient magical instruments, he puts the power of music to use.  A total support hero who make his team mates a little more awesome.

Team: Dark Watch (Leader)
Nemesis: Gloomweaver
Cursed into a form of mist and magic, this private eye uses powerful spells and ancient artifacts to take down the forces of darkness.  Another self damaging hero who can actually tank pretty well too.

Nemesis: Plague Rat
The Sherrif of the 1800's town of Silver Gultch who fell into a time portal, Jim Brooks soon found himself in a faroff future where the world has been destroyed and taken over by monster. His arm bitten off buy a rat-man, he survived by wandering into the friendly sapient bunker Con, but upgraded him with cyberneticss, gave him time travel technology and sent him into the past to the destroy those who would create this desolute future. Chrono is the master of the plink damage.  He deals one point of damage, and he deals it a LOT in addition to play bounties that let him do other things.

Nemesis: Omnitron
Far into the future, Omnitron-IX, having been destroyed and rebuilt countless times over the centuries decides to solve the problem of always beeing defeated by weak heroes by giving his next incarnation the one thing the heroes have that he doesn't--compassion.  The new Omnitron-X prompty repented of everything he'd done in his past models and went back in time to destroy himself.  Upgrades himself to grant new, usually automatic, abilities.

Nemesis: Miss Information
An analyst whose exposure to Omnitron's code has upgrades her mind, Parse can analyse any situation and discover every possible outcode, an ability which also makes her an uncanny archer.  A deck manipulator who can also deal damage.

Team: Dark Watch
Nemesis: Kismet
Setback has always had wild swings of luck.  Really bad things happen to him out of nowhere, but then really lucky things always happen to.  Like when he was randomly kidnapped by Baron Blade to be the subject of deadly experiment, then was the only one to survive them and gain superpowers.  Lucky!  He has his own resource, Unlucky points.  By player cards that represent unlucky things happening, he can trade the points for really lucky things later.

Cursed by the evil earth spirit Akashbhuta to live as an animal, he was freed from his curse by the Argent Adept and now uses his ability to transform into animals to protect nature from those who would destroy it.  A shapeshifter whose abilities and card effects vary according to what shape he's in.  Can fulfil multiple team roles.

A former member of FILTER who went rogue, she is a trained soldier and spy with energy focusing powers.  A damage dealer with some interesting combos.
I am the cat that walks by himself, all ways are alike to me.

Deaths Jester

Expat will return for another contract out on some scum!!
Avatar picture originally a Brom painting entitled Marionette.

catwhowalksbyhimself

Which version would you prefer,

Regular Expatriette
29 HP
Power: Play a card.

or

Dark Watch Expatriette
30 HP
Power: Increase Damage dealt by Expatriette by 1 until the end of your next turn.

Same deck and cards.

Deaths Jester

Hmmm....go with regular...she's what I played last time and am quite used to her.  Dark Watch version doesn't really seem to add much comparably.

Glitch Girl

Kinda leaning towards Nightmist or Fanatic.  One question: what exactly is meant by "self damaging hero"?

-Glitch Girl

"Cynicism is not maturity, do not mistake the one for the other. If you truly cannot accept a story where someone does the right thing because it's the right thing to do, that says far more about who you are than these characters." - Greg Rucka

Outcast

Quote from: Glitch Girl on September 22, 2014, 05:02:43 AM
Kinda leaning towards Nightmist or Fanatic.  One question: what exactly is meant by "self damaging hero"?

I think what it means is that there will be times that when you want to use a power, it will cost you some of your HP.  It's like having powers but using them puts a strain in your body.

catwhowalksbyhimself

Quote from: Outcast on September 22, 2014, 07:12:13 AM
Quote from: Glitch Girl on September 22, 2014, 05:02:43 AM

I think what it means is that there will be times that when you want to use a power, it will cost you some of your HP.  It's like having powers but using them puts a strain in your body.

That is correct, Nightmist is one of a few heroes whose abilities cost hp to use, essentially, although she also has several ways of healing herself back up again.  Actually, Fanatic is also a self damager, but to a lesser extent, and she can self resurrect.

Glitch Girl

-Glitch Girl

"Cynicism is not maturity, do not mistake the one for the other. If you truly cannot accept a story where someone does the right thing because it's the right thing to do, that says far more about who you are than these characters." - Greg Rucka

Reepicheep

Sorry to bail on the last one. Villains beware: Legacy flies the skies again!

catwhowalksbyhimself

Alright, options!

Both of those heroes have two alternate promo forms, so pick which of the three you'd like.  Same deck and cards, just the hp and base power change.

For Fanatic

Regular Fanatic
30 hp
Power: Fanatic deals 1 Target 1 Melee Damage and 1 Radiant Damage

Redeemer Fanatic
31 hp
Power: Fanatic regains 1 HP. Draw 1 card.

Prime Warden Fanatic
29 hp
Power: Fanatic deals herself 3 Radiant damage. Play the top card of your deck.  One hero may use a power now.

For Legacy, his three promos are actually different people in his family

Regular Legacy
32 hp
Power: Until the start of your next turn, increase Damage dealt by Hero Targets by 1.

His daughter, Youngest Legacy
30 hp
Power: Legacy deals 1 Target 3 Energy Damage

His father, the WWII Legacy--who the other heroes meet through time travel--Greatest Legacy
30 hp
Power: 1 Hero Regains 1 hp and may use a Power now.

Glitch Girl

Since I don't know the deck, which do you recommend?  I'm leaning towards Redeemer, but wanted to check.
-Glitch Girl

Outcast

Quote from: Glitch Girl on September 23, 2014, 01:02:10 PM
Since I don't know the deck, which do you recommend?  I'm leaning towards Redeemer, but wanted to check.

You can check each hero's deck and powers here.

Ok. I think i'll try the Sentinels team this time. Not really sure how 4 characters can work using one deck but.... :)

Reepicheep

Given the choice, I think I can only pick the reich busting legacy!

:reichgeneral

catwhowalksbyhimself

Quote from: Glitch Girl on September 23, 2014, 01:02:10 PM
Redeemer and Regular should both be fine for your first play.  Regular does a bit more damage off the bat until she gets her sword out, while Redeemer can fish for more powerful cards and do a bit more tanking.  Both are straightforward enough.

Quote from: Outcast on September 23, 2014, 04:09:24 PM
Ok. I think i'll try the Sentinels team this time. Not really sure how 4 characters can work using one deck but.... :)

Pretty well.  Four character cards, four powers.  Lots of chaining and triggering effects.  They are pretty much this game's glass cannons, as they have very low hp and there are four of them, but can put out a lot of damage.  Fortunately one of them's a doctor and so is dedicated to healing.  They are hands down my favorite deck in the game.

Consequently, I have only one spot left, so first to speak up gets it.

Glitch Girl

-Glitch Girl

catwhowalksbyhimself

Last seat's still open, if anyone wants it.

In the meantime, I present you with some villain options.  All the ones from the main game and first two expansion, to be precise.  Gloomweaver and Omnitron were both asked about before, but you needn't stick to that.  Also feel free to ask about any Nemeses that don't show up on this list.

Leader of a cult of superpowered people who believe themselves to be better than ordinary folks and deserving of their worship.  He attempt to create a superpowered dynasty lead to her greatest shame, however, the existence of her non-powered daughter, Expatriette.
Nemesis:Expatriette
Difficulty: Hard

A mad scientist and son of a Nazi mad scientist who died in battle against the WWII era Legacy.  Would do anything to get revenge on his descendants, including crashing the moon into the earth.
Nemesis: Legacy
Difficulty: Easy

Legend has it that living in the sewers of Rook City is monstrous beast that used to be a man.  Some say the outbreaks of disease in the poorer parts of the city are more than mere symptoms of squalor.
Nemesis: Chronoranger
Difficulty: Moderate

A magical mask gave a young girl full of anger and rage the power to control birds and to fully unlease her feelings on the city.
Nemesis: Tachyon

When the Wraith caught the city's most prolific serial killer, everyone breathed a collective sigh of relief.  Having been rescued from death row by Pike Industrial to be the subject of chemical experiments, Spite has mutated, become even more monstrous, and has escaped to bring the city to its knees.
Nemesis: Wraith

Nemesis: Mr. Fixer
The true ruler of rook city is not its mayor, or it city council of its people.  Controlling everything, above every criminal enterprise, behind every election, and paying off every official is the crime boss known onlyh as The Chairman.  No one knows who he is, but everyone fears the might wielded by his chief enforcer, the Operative.

Nemesis: Fanatic
Fanatic's evil counterpart, who summons unholy relics and evil demons to destroy all that is good.

Nemesis: Nightmist
A malevolent entity form a dream dimesion, Gloomweaver has amassed an army of cultist and zombies dedicated to pulling him into the real world

The Earth spirit of chaos, Akash'buta sows only despair and destruction, but has been opposed by the musical heroes known as the Virtuosos of the Void, the latest of which is the Argent Adept.
Nemesis: Argent Adept

Ra was not the only Egyptian god to come back through one of his talismans.  A group of artifact hunters and thieves stumbled upon a cache of such items and were transformed into the Ennead.  Leaving a path of destruction in their wake, can even a group of heroes stop nine angry Egyptian gods?
Nemesis: Ra

Deaths Jester

Glitch Girl

Who doesn't love stomping Nazis?

Nightmist sounds intriguing too.

-Glitch Girl

Outcast

Quote from: Glitch Girl on September 29, 2014, 01:30:15 PM
Who doesn't love stomping Nazis?

Nightmist sounds intriguing too.

Did you mean GloomWeaver? Zombies are always fun.

But wouldn't you like to battle it out with your nemesis? The Apostate? :lou....

Glitch Girl

I did mean GloomWeaver, my bad.

And of course I want to battle my nemesis :)  But I don't want to monopolize the game unless y'all want to fight him too.  I'm still learning this system. 
-Glitch Girl

catwhowalksbyhimself

If you all don't come to a consensus, I could simply randomly choose from among the possibilities.  Some further information, though.

Blades the easiest villain in the game--most of the time.  On his front side, he wins the game if too many cards are in his trash, so you have to flip him by knocking down to 1 hitpoints quickly.

Gloomweaver's generally fairly easy, but games against him can be a bit long some times, although not to the same extent as a few others.  It depends on how quickly his relics come out, since you instantly win if you can kill all of them.  If they all come out, he flips and proceeds to wipe the heroes out, but I've yet to see that happen.

Apostate can be more challenging and is probably the hardest of the mediums, but about right for the third game out.  The more relics he puts out, the more powerful he is, so you have to keep with them as more get played.  He also has a couple cards that are evil version of some of Fanatic's cards.   One of those cards are pretty much useless when either one tries to use it on the other.  (destroys all the other side's cards that aren't relics.  Both have lots of relics.)

Reepicheep

I didn't realise we were choosing - I'm actually all for a random pick.

Deaths Jester

Ehhh...I could care less.  Whatever you folks want is fine.

catwhowalksbyhimself

Still have one seat left, if anyone wants it.

At this moment, it looks like I will randomize between Blade, Glooweaver, and Apostate.  I'm still open to suggestions, however.  I'll leave it open for a bit longer, then I'll roll up a villain and continue on.

catwhowalksbyhimself

And I have completely chosen at random from the two discussed--Baron Blade!

This trailer for the video game version is also a pretty good into to the Baron Blade, so enjoy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4CjyGYhV6B8

Now for the environments.  I'll throw nearly all of them out there for you, but as far as theming well with the villains, I'd suggest Megalopolis, Wagner Mars Base, Rook City, Pike Industrial, or the Time Cataclysm.  With Blade confronting a Legacy from the past, Time Cataclysm would fit pretty well thematically.  You can play with whatever one you like though and I'll find a story excuse to make it work.

The ruins of the lost city of Atlantis, home to amazing relics and the terrifying Kraken.

The home city of Legacy and the Freedom Five.  A shining vast metropolis.

Wagner Mars Base, a research and military base located on Mars, it is the first stop for would-be conquerors from the stars.

A land lost in time, where dinosaurs and other ancient creatures still live.

Often known by it's nickname of Crook city, it is full of crime and curruption and is the home of Wraith and Darkwatch.

More than just strictly legal production and research goes on here.  Beware of dangerious chemicals and mutated vermin.

A strange magical dimension where the laws of physics are constantly in flux

The tomb of Anubis, Egyptian death god, full of traps trails and the occassional reward.

Time has gone completely bannannas here.  Creatures and places form throughout time and space are all mixed together, and that

can't be good for the space-time continuum.

FILTER's interdimensional prison, where the worst of the worst are held.  The prison is ungoing a riot and the heroes are

unfortunately not any more popular with the guards than they are with the prisoners.

A time Portal has connected the present with Chronoranger's home down, right in the middle of a gunfight with a family of bandits.

In the far future that Chrono-Ranger ended up in, strange cryptids have multiplied and destroyed all human life.  Only

Chronoranger, lost through a time portal, and the eternal warrior Haka are still alive.

Glitch Girl

I'm going to vote for either Time Cataclysm or Pike Industrial since I think both compliment the choice of villain.
-Glitch Girl

Deaths Jester

I go with Time Cataclysm...seems fitting....

Outcast

Time........ for Baron Blade and Legacy to once again do battle.

catwhowalksbyhimself

That's a majority vote for Time Cataclysm, which contains two of my favorite environment cards.

Alright, I'll give it a little bit to see if anyone wants that last spot, then we'll begin.

catwhowalksbyhimself

We'll get started just as soon as I finish the set up work.  Probably tomorrow.  Unless someone comes in at the last second, I'll be stepping in as Chrono-Ranger.