Saving your character

Started by Randomdays, October 08, 2012, 01:00:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Randomdays

I don't know if anyone would want to do this, or even if it would work. But if you had a favorite character you could try to save at least its appearance like so;

1)Download and run 3dripper dx - tell it to run the executable for CoH.

2)When the game comes up, go to character select or even in game with the character in a basic idle pose.

3)Hit the capture key. If it works, the 3d model with skin and shaders will be saved to where you set it up. If in game, it will save most if not all the level map as well.

4)It will save as a max file or as a wavefront obj file as well. You can then open up max, Blender or whatever you're using and edit the file.

I have no idea if this will work, but I grabbed one of my characters from WoW fine. I deleted everything but the character, rigged it to male basic and my guy was running around in FF with no problem. FF is the only game I've really worked with, but you could probably import to a shooter like Quake 3 or Unreal, or a nif game like Morrowind or Oblivion. Or even as your chracter in the Sims 2.

Its not much and its no replacement, and may not even work, but having a favorite character available might be all you're be able to save.

Outcast

Importing your character/hero and getting to play them in  :ff: or  :ffvstr: sounds pretty cool to me. :cool:

Figure Fan

It doesn't look like it's going to work. 3DRipper can't open it because of the launcher or something. It was worth a try, though. Thanks for posting it. :)

Maybe someone else can get it to work?

Mantic

Ripping from the City of Heroes client can be done with GLIntercept. Here is Arcanaville's tutorial on the process. I'm surprised that it isn't being done more for FF meshes since Icon was released.

There are some aspects that would have to be sorted out, since CoX uses an odd organization system for their reflection/glow and normal mapping (implanting them in different channels of subtextures), plus using alpha masks to apply color and decal aspects.  All that would need to be taken apart and put back together for  :ff:/ :ffvstr:, in addition to manually concatenating all the components. But given the flexibility of all those aspects and the scaling morphs, it's still might be less trouble than scratch-modeling equivalent characters.