News:

Rings of Reznor!

Main Menu

coloring an fx - black

Started by abenavides, June 15, 2014, 01:23:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

abenavides

If I want to recolor a basic Irrational FX to black (to be like a darkforce or black lantern type thing).
- how would I go about this?
I can't just make the TGA files black .
www.alexff.com
Creator of EZ Danger Room, EZFX, EZHero, The JLA Mod, The X Mod, Superhero TV, & famous Hero Recipes, coming up: New mods.

Cyber Burn

There's a Tutorial at FXForce for using a Hex Editor to make an FX Black. I haven't tried it out yet though. I thought I had Mini-Tutorial for NifSkope, I'll have to check my files to see whether I actually have one.

http://frp.unlimited2.net/fxforce/public_html/FXLOW.html

Check under Tutorials.

abenavides

A big thanks for that!
Whipping up some fx variations and wanted to include black.
www.alexff.com
Creator of EZ Danger Room, EZFX, EZHero, The JLA Mod, The X Mod, Superhero TV, & famous Hero Recipes, coming up: New mods.

abenavides

Hmmm ... I followed the tutorial. It involves hexing bytes to ED (instead of 0D).

I did it but my FX still has a bunch of white coming up. (I did see some parts show up black that hadn't before)

Not sure if my textures are screwy (they're all just pure black) or if there's something else about this NIF that prevents this from working.
I'm just trying to recolor the basic FF energy release fx to black.

Has anybody tried this one?
www.alexff.com

Cyber Burn

Is it Manbot's "Energy_Release" FX?

Cyber Burn

Alex, could you please send me your files for this? I'd be interested in checking them out.

abenavides

Cyber, was getting them ready to send to you - when I realized I had a typo in 1 of the tga filenames.

I corrected this and now it's working perfectly. Thx!
www.alexff.com

Cyber Burn

I'm glad you figured this out. If you wouldn't mind though, could you send the finished FX my way please? I don't know how to use a Hex Editor, and I'd like to compare the "Before" and "After" versions in NifSkope.

abenavides

Sent you the fx.

BTW - using nifskope for editing fx is so much easier than the hex editors when I first did all this!
www.alexff.com

Cyber Burn

Hey Alex, I set up the FX to check it out in-game, but I'm seeing a delay between the visual FX and the power taking effect. Basically, I have my character use the power that the FX is attached to, and then about 2 seconds later, my opponents go flying. Are you having the same issue?

abenavides

Hadn't tried it as a real power yet.

I'd guess you're trying it in ffv3r?

The nifs I sent you are ff. (I'm adding a few to Ezfx for ff that I have)
www.alexff.com

Cyber Burn

I don't really know enough about FX. I'm pretty much learning as I go. I wonder if these need to be converted?

I had recolored and renamed some FX files to try with what you sent me, it doesn't look bad, but they are in DDS Format.

Unfortunately, pretty much everything I do is for FFvt3R, unless someone specifically asks for something to be done for FF1.

abenavides

Yep, that's what I meant. Ff nifs have timing issues in ffv3r.

I can send you a ffv3r version
www.alexff.com

Cyber Burn

Quote from: abenavides on June 18, 2014, 01:37:53 AM
Yep, that's what I meant. Ff nifs have timing issues in ffv3r.

I can send you a ffv3r version

Please, that would be awesome.

Cyber Burn

Does anyone know if there is any sort of tutorial for making Black FX using NifSkope? Preferably for  :ffvstr:?

abenavides

Hey Cyber, I finally got a chance to whip up the ffv3r black boom today, but when I went to hex the nif - I don't see "Alpha" like I do in FF nifs, so not sure what to do to get this to work as black. I'll send you the nif if you want to take a look.
www.alexff.com

Cyber Burn

That would be great. I'll be out of town for another week or so, but I look forward to checking it out when I get home.