Sentinels of the Multiverse Play by post edition

Started by catwhowalksbyhimself, April 06, 2014, 06:22:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

catwhowalksbyhimself

I saw this done at another forum, and it works quite well, so I wanted to see if anyone wants to try it here.  Sentinels of the Multiverse is a superhero based card game that is fun and simple enough to play.  Because of the fact that it's coop and the way it works, it's easy enough for me to handle all the decks and allow you all to give the game a spin.  You don't need to own the game or have played it at all before.

So is anyone interested?  I need between 3-5 players.
I am the cat that walks by himself, all ways are alike to me.

Xenolith

I like this game, but wouldn't it be hard to play by post?

catwhowalksbyhimself

Nope, it's done all the time.  I'll run all the decks and just post a card list.  For those who don't have the game, that will include card text and all rule information.

Reepicheep

This sounds like good fun, but I have a habit of not being around for weeks at a time. Will enjoy watching the results, though!

bearded

catwhowalksbyhimself

Yeah. but one person in a month is not enough.  If other people wish to volunteer, though we can still do this.

I will emphasize that you don't need to have the game or even know how to play it.

Outcast

I'm willing to try and play the game if this pushes through. :)

catwhowalksbyhimself

If necessary, I can play a hero myself, which would give us 3, the bare minimum.  I'll leave this open for up to three more for a little while though.

Deaths Jester

I'd be interested but I'm a bit like Reep, only around about once a week...so I'm probably out.
Avatar picture originally a Brom painting entitled Marionette.

bearded

I would be interested in a once a week game, if that would work. I mean, why not?

catwhowalksbyhimself

It would take a long time to play, but I'd be willing to do it if all are agreed.  I'd still prefer to get a couple more people if possible.

So far now the interested parties are: Bearded, Deaths Jester, Outcast.  Not sure whether Xenolith counts are interested or not.  That leaves 2 slots open, 1 if Xenolith is in.

Xenolith

Don't wait on me.  I don't remember to check in very often.  :(

abenavides

Heard of this game when I started trying to design my own CCG.
Curious about it, so I'll give it a shot.
www.alexff.com
Creator of EZ Danger Room, EZFX, EZHero, The JLA Mod, The X Mod, Superhero TV, & famous Hero Recipes, coming up: New mods.

catwhowalksbyhimself

Alright, lets go to claiming heroes.  I'll use just ones from the base game for now and leave out the more complex ones, but if you're familiar with the game, feel free to pick one I haven't put up here.  I own all of them.  Feel free to speak up even if you haven't declared your intention to play.  Now's your chance.

A soldier with a suit of military designed power armor, Bunker is a bit like Iron Man, only he can't fly and has a lot more guns.

Mistreated for the pair of wings she is gifted with, Fanatic has chosen to side with the angels--literally--in the fight against evil.  Holy warrior type powered by holy relics.

A gentile soul gifted with super strength, ancient warrior traditions, and immortality.  He's like the Hulk if the Hulk looked more like a normal person, was highly educated, and was an elementary school teacher for his day job.  Okay, he's nothing like Hulk, but he does like to smash.

From a long line of Legacies starting with the Revolutionary War, each generation of Persons have developed a new power and passing it and all previous ones on to the next.  The current Legacy possesses flight, super strength, durability, and danger sense.  His daughter has laser vision.  Yeah, he's like a hybrid of Captain America and Superman, but plays most like the former, inspiring his team mates to greatness.

Finding the staff of the Egyptian sun god Ra, a humble archeaologist uses it to transform into Ra, god of the sun!  Yeah, he's Thor with fire powers, basically.

A scientist with the power of super speed.  Not much else to say.  Plays a lot of cards and builds up momentum for spectacular stuff later on.

Former alien slave who escaped from the warlord Voss only to end up in the hands of suspicious humans.  He has powers over the weather and is also aquatic.  He even sometimes talks to the fishes.

Billionaire heiress by day, stalker of criminals by night.  Female Batman, essentially.

Alright, claim your heroes.

Outcast

Alright! Nice set of heroes/characters. :D

:rolleyes: Let's see...i'll claim Haka.   :) Grrrr....Smash! Smash! and Smash!

abenavides

www.alexff.com
Creator of EZ Danger Room, EZFX, EZHero, The JLA Mod, The X Mod, Superhero TV, & famous Hero Recipes, coming up: New mods.

bearded

catwhowalksbyhimself

So Ra, Haka, and Tachyon are now taken.  That leaves the following up for grabs.  I can only take two more, but if we end up with less than five players, I'll jump in and take a more complicated hero that I didn't list here.  It's a coop game, so that would be fine if I did.

Deaths Jester

Guess I'll have to go with Wraith....course I'll need you to provide cards for my side Cat, but you probably already knew that.
Avatar picture originally a Brom painting entitled Marionette.

catwhowalksbyhimself

Yup, I have a convenient google doc spoiling all the cards, so I can copy paste whatever gets drawn.  Easy enough.  Also it's a coop game and there no rule against showing your hand to other players, so unless someone objects I'll just post everyone's cards using spoiler tags.

catwhowalksbyhimself

Got room for one more.  I'll give it another day, then get this started likely tomorrow.

Reepicheep

Oh ok. This sounds like it'll be lots of silly fun. I'll be glad to take Legacy!

catwhowalksbyhimself

A bus full of kindergarteners on their way home from school has gone missing from Rook City.  After a full day of no news, message arrive by email at the Freedom Tower, challenging the Freedom Five to rescue the children from the wilds of Insula Primalis before they become dinosaur chow.  Legacy, leader of the Freedom five, leaves at once with other two available member, scientist speedster Tachyon and Rook City's famous masked detective, The Wraith.  Haka, substitute kindergarten teacher and friend of children everywhere insists of coming along to give the villain a good pounding and at Legacies request, the god of the Sun, Ra himself, joins them.

When they arrive at the coordinates indicated they find--nothing.  Nothing that is, that they can see.  Abuscade, expert hunter, has finally gotten the chance he has been looking for, the chance to hunt the ultimate prey--heroes.  Among them, the greatest prize of all, the immortal warrior Haka!

Summary, start of game.

Notes: Villain cards have two sides with different rules.  What they are and what causes them to flip over vary from villain to villain.  In Ambuscade's case, he attacks the hero target with the most hp on this side and on the other side is invulnerable and attacks the lowest instead.  His cloaking device being in play is what causes him to flip sides.

Ambuscade and Haka are nemeses, meaning they do an extra point of damage whenever they attack each other.

To setup the game, we put the top 4 devices into play.  They are:
Automated Turret, 8hp: At the end of the Villain turn, this card deals the Hero Target with the Highest HP 2 Projectile Damage.
Personal Cloaking Device, 9hp: When this card enters play, flip Ambuscade's Villain Character cards.
Sonic Mine, 1hp: "When this card is destroyed, this card deals each Hero Target 2 Sonic Damage.
Targets dealt Damage this way cannot deal Damage until the start of the next Villain turn."
A second Sonic Mine.

Ambuscade immediatelly flips and will now attack the lowest and is invulnerable to damage until the cloaking device is destroyed.

Side:Invisible Stalker
HP: 50 Highest Villain Target
Cards in play:
Automated Turret: 8 hp
Personal Cloaking Device: 9 hp
Sonic Mine: 1 hp Lowest Villain Target
Sonic Mine: 1 hp Lowest Villain Target

Cards in play: none

Note the evironment gets its own turn last and can help or hurt the heroes.  Expect lots of bitey dinosaurs.

HP: 34 Highest Hero Target
Base Power: Crush--Haka deals 1 Target 2 Melee damage
in play: none
Hand:
Spoiler

Haka of Battle: One Shot--"Draw 2 cards, then discard 1 or more cards.
Increase the next Damage dealt by Haka by 1 for each card discarded this way."
Haka of Restoration: One Shot--"Draw 2 cards, then discard 1 or more cards.
Haka regains HP equal to the number of cards discarded this way."
Savage Mana: Ongoing, Limited--"Whenever Haka destroys a Target, you may put that card beneath this card.
Power: Destroy all cards beneath this card. Haka deals 1 Target X Toxic Damage, where X = the number of cards destroyed this way times 2."
Savage Mana: Ongoing, Limited--"Whenever Haka destroys a Target, you may put that card beneath this card.
Power: Destroy all cards beneath this card. Haka deals 1 Target X Toxic Damage, where X = the number of cards destroyed this way times 2."

HP: 27
Base Power: Rapid Recon--Look at the top card of your Hero deck.  You may discard that card.
In Play: None
Hand
Spoiler

Nimble Strike: One-Shot, Burst--"Tachyon deals 1 Target 1 Melee Damage.
You may draw a card."
You may draw a card."
Hypersonic Assault: One-Shot--"Tachyon deals each non-Hero Target 1 Sonic Damage.
Targets dealt Damage this way cannot deal Damage until the start of your next turn."
Hypersonic Assault: One-Shot--"Tachyon deals each non-Hero Target 1 Sonic Damage.
Targets dealt Damage this way cannot deal Damage until the start of your next turn."

HP: 30
Base Power: Pyre--Ra deals 1 Target 2 Fire damage.
Hand:
Spoiler

Flesh of the Sun God: Ongoing--"Ra is immune to Fire Damage.
Power: Hero character cards are immune to Fire Damage until the start of your next turn."
Inferno: One Shot--"Ra deals 1 target 3 Fire Damage.
Ra deals up to 5 other Targets 1 Fire Damage each."
Imbued Fire: Ongoing, Limited--"Increase all Fire Damage by 1.
Change the Damage type of Damage dealt by Hero Targets to Fire.
Power: Destroy this card."
Excavation: One-Shot--"Put up to 3 cards from the Environment trash on the bottom of the Environment deck.
You may draw as many cards as you moved this way."

HP: 26 Lowest Hero Target
Base Power: Stealth--Reduce the next damage that would be dealt to the Wraith by 2.
Hand:
Spoiler

Trust Fund: One Shot--Draw 4 cards, then discard 2 cards.
Trust Fund: One Shot--Draw 4 cards, then discard 2 cards.
Impromptu Invention: One Shot--"Draw a card.
Search your deck for an Equipment card and either put it into play or your hand. Shuffle your deck.
You may play a card."
Micro Targeting Computer: Equipment, Limited--Increase Projectile Damage dealt by The Wraith by 2.

HP: 32
Base Power: Galvanize--Until the start of your next turn, increase damage dealt by Hero targets by 1.
Hand:
Spoiler

Bolster Allies: One Shot--Each player draws a card.
Lead from the Front   : Ongoing,Limited--Whenever a Hero Target would be dealt Damage by a Villain card, you may redirect that Damage to Legacy.
Surge of Strength: Ongoing,Limited   --Increase Damage dealt by Legacy by 1.
Superhuman Durability:Ongoing, Limited--Whenever Legacy would be dealt 5 or more Damage from a single source, reduce that Damage by 3.

A couple of Hero notes here. 
Each turn you may play one card, then use 1 power, then drawn one card.  You may also skip the rest of your turn to draw 2 cards instead.
One Shots of played immediately and discarded.  Equipments and Ongoings hand around.  Only one copy of a Limited card can be in play at once.

That's the Opening summary.  Next up is Ambuscade's turn.

catwhowalksbyhimself

Ambuscade's turn

Start: Cloaking device still in play, does nothing
Play: Custom Hand-Cannon,   5hp: Device--At the end of the Villain turn, Ambuscade deals the Hero with the most cards in play 2 Projectile Damage.
End: Ambuscade deal Wraith 4 damage. Wraith is now at 22 hp.
Automated Turret deals Haka 2 damage.  Haka is now at 32 hp.
Ambuscade deals any one hero 2 hp damage.  I'll need a volunteer for this one. I would recommend either Haka or Legacy as both can tank pretty well.

One we sort out who take the damage from the hand cannon, we'll move on.

Outcast

I Haka will volunteer to take that damage, since he's my nemesis and all. :)

"This is nothing i tell you!" "Grrrrr"

catwhowalksbyhimself

Since he's your nemesis, he deals an additional point of damage, for a total of 3.  Haka is now at 29 hp.

It is now Haka's turn.

HP: 29
Base Power: Crush--Haka deals 1 Target 2 Melee damage
in play: none
Hand:
Spoiler

Haka of Battle: One Shot--"Draw 2 cards, then discard 1 or more cards.
Increase the next Damage dealt by Haka by 1 for each card discarded this way."
Haka of Restoration: One Shot--"Draw 2 cards, then discard 1 or more cards.
Haka regains HP equal to the number of cards discarded this way."

You may do the following in this order:
Play one Card
Use one Power
Draw one card

Or you may pass your turn to draw 2 cards.

Spoilers for all cards may be found here, in case you are curious.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AprCZHVK0QvtdDVyV1VTTk54TEJ1RFBlSXlJV1p0SVE&usp=sharing#gid=3

Outcast

Ok. I'll play the card "Haka of Restoration". (edited to add: I'll discard a Savage Mana card.)

Then use my base power "Crush" to attack the cloaking device if i can. If not, I'll attack the turret instead.

After that, i'll draw a card. :)

catwhowalksbyhimself

Haka of Restoration draws
Spoiler

Haka of Shielding: One-Shot--Draw 2 cards, then discard 1 or more cards. Reduce the next Damage dealt to Haka by 2 for each card discarded this way.
Vitality Surge: One-Shot--Haka regains 2 HP. Draw a card.
Do you wish to discard either of these cards as well?

And yes, the cloaking device is a perfectly valid target.  It takes 2 points of damage from Haka and is now at 7 hp.

Since there's nothing here that could effect anyone else, it is now Tachyon's turn.

HP: 27
Base Power: Rapid Recon--Look at the top card of your Hero deck.  You may discard that card.
Hand
Spoiler

You may draw a card."
You may draw a card."

A bit of an explanation here, the more Burst cards in her trash, the more powerful certain cards become.  That's all you need to know, really.

Outcast

Quote from: catwhowalksbyhimself on May 15, 2014, 06:34:08 AM
Haka of Restoration draws
Spoiler

Haka of Shielding: One-Shot--Draw 2 cards, then discard 1 or more cards. Reduce the next Damage dealt to Haka by 2 for each card discarded this way.
Vitality Surge: One-Shot--Haka regains 2 HP. Draw a card.
Do you wish to discard either of these cards as well?

Ok. I'll just discard Vitality Surge, so i can regain 1 more HP.  :)

catwhowalksbyhimself

Ok. I'll just discard Vitality Surge, so i can regain 1 more HP.  :)
[/quote]
Haka restores 2 hp and is now at 31 hp.  Haka draws
Spoiler

Enduring Intercession: Ongoing--Redirect any Damage that would be dealt to a Hero Target by an Environment card to Haka. Power: Destroy this card.
This concludes Haka's turn.