News:

Rings of Reznor!

Main Menu

STO 3rd Anniversary Celebration Starts Today

Started by BlueBard, January 31, 2013, 02:32:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BlueBard

That's right, Star Trek Online is celebrating its' third year since launch!

To celebrate, STO is offering a brand-new featured episode that will allow players to claim either an Ambassador class cruiser (Starfleet) or a Kamarag battlecruiser (KDF) for FREE.  These ships can be flown by characters of Commander rank and above, but you can still claim your ship even if you aren't yet a Commander.

The mission will remain afterward, but only during the celebration can you also claim the FREE Retrofit versions of these ships for your Rear Admiral characters.

Rumor has it that the mission will allow players to meet Tasha Yar, who will be voiced by none other than Denise Crosby

TNG fans will recall a time travel incident where Tasha wound up fighting aboard the Enterprise-C, the Ambassador class cruiser whose intervention at Narendra III resulted in the Federation-Klingon Alliance.  So this is a pretty big deal for STO!

If you've never played Star Trek Online, or if you've not played in awhile, this will be the perfect time to grab a phaser and Boldly Go Where No One Has Gone Before!

http://sto.perfectworld.com/

While you're at it, please consider joining Federation Reborn -- the unofficial home fleet for Freedom Reborn members.  PM me with your Star Trek Online display name and I'll make sure you get a fleet invite.

Edit: Got some detail wrong
STO/CO: @bluegeek

GhostMachine

I did the anniversary mission yesterday on my Federation Engineering character (the only one of my 3 that's not a VA already) and one little problem with the reward: the KDF ship is better than the Federation one, from what everyone has been saying. I haven't even bothered unpacking them yet.

One warning, though? The quest rewards (Federation side, anyway) listed mention the Yesterday's Enterprise uniform, but all it really unlocks is that bandolier and belt that were added to the TNG uniforms for the episode. They're listed under Chest Piece and Belt.

Also, the easy, no risk Foundry missions some people do to clear the mission for investigating reports and to get easy loot appear to have been changed so the enemy ships do fight back now rather than just being sitting ducks. But they only shoot back after being fired upon.

BlueBard

I thought that the mission itself was a great homage to "Yesterday's Enterprise", even if it was perhaps a bit too easy.

Spoiler
You definitely miss out if you don't talk to the various characters you find in the Tholian base.  You get a pretty good idea of how the Tholians ended up running things and why the battle at Narendra III was even more important than we knew.

The Tasha Yar voiceovers were great, and the dialogue was spot on.

I'd agree that unless you just like to collect ships, there's no real functional reason to pick up either of the free ships if you are VA level.  They're not bad ships, really, but at VA level you have better choices especially if you've been playing a long time.  But I like the look of both of them.

GhostMachine

I finally unlocked the higher ranked version of the Federation ship on my Engineering character and have been using it. (Haven't done the mission on my other two yet) Its actually a pretty decent ship, but I'm going to be switching him back to his normal ship.

And I have made a KDF character just because of this event and will get the ship. I really had no desire to play a KDF because none of their races really appeal to me, I didn't want to create an Alien (my Fed Tactical is one) and their uniforms have severely limited color options. (I ended up going with a female Orion Tactical)

BlueBard

BlueBard

I found out this got extended a little bit.

I believe it now ends on Monday.