News:

Rings of Reznor!

Main Menu

Marvel Adventures Vol. 2 - New Release!!

Started by BentonGrey, August 14, 2012, 02:32:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WyldFyre

Take your time Benton.  Health is more important than goodies. 
For Freedom!

BentonGrey

It's done!  Welcome to Adventure in the Marvel Universe!   

Campaigns:
-Avengers
-Iron Man
-Fantastic Four
-Thor
-Invaders
-X-Men
-Guardians of the Galaxy

So, what are you waiting for? Join the fight!

Download Marvel Adventures now!

greylands.freedomforceforever.com/ma.zip

This mod is akin to my massive DC Universe According to Grey, though on a much smaller scale.  I have not tried to capture the entire width and breadth of the Marvel Universe, just my favorite corners thereof.  You'll still find a very large mod here, with most of the classic heroes and many of the classic villains of the Marvel Universe.  On the other hand, this mod embraces a similar design philosophy to the DCUG, not trying to completely capture any interpretation of the Marvel U., instead trying to create an idealized version, something of the best of all worlds, in my opinion.  It is most closely based on the Bronze Age, but I took liberties to clean up continuity or for the sake of the story I wanted to tell.

Keep in mind, not all of the campaigns tell complete stories, and all of these are intended to be expanded and continued.  In the future I'll add a Spider-Man campaign, Dr. Strange, perhaps Captain Marvel, and others.
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman
Check out mymods and blog!
https://bentongrey.wordpress.com/

detourne_me

This is just excellent BG! Thanks so much,  I love the idea that you have different campaigns but all using the same resources!
I've been playing the Avengers campaign and I really enjoy the storyline so far...I've never really read much about Mantis and Swordsman, so this was really welcome.  I've hit a bit of a snag though. 
Spoiler
The map with the Quinjet doesn't quite load properly, ive got a black floor, and none of the characters can move. any ideas how to solve this?

Jimaras8

Finally i did it!Thx for the tip Benton, :thumbup:! Now in terms of the mod its just marvelous like the comics themselves.Althought i have one question?Why not Spidey Benton,i get that you havent made a campaign for him but i don't know its just spidey man :D

BentonGrey

Thanks guys!  I'll post more later, but I've tracked down the bugs y'all found and am fixing them.  DM, you hit a missing map, Jimaras, you found some missing FX.  I'll have a patch ready by this afternoon.
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman

BentonGrey

Alright guys, you'll find the patch here:
http://greylands.freedomforceforever.com/ma_patch1.zip

So, basically I was missing a layout file in the mod folder, and a few of the FX as well.  Those should all be where they belong now.  Just drop that folder into your FFvTTR directory and say "yes" to all overwrite requests.

Welcome to the community Jimaras8!  Thanks for the kind words, I appreciate them quite a bit.  As for Spider-Man, that's a good question.  The short answer is, I simply didn't get to him.  I had relatively specific story ideas for all of the campaigns that I created, but I didn't have anything really great in mind for Spidey.  He's on my list, and he's at the top of it, as a matter of fact, for my first MA expansion.  For this release though, I just felt like it was time to put this behemoth out, and I simply hadn't gotten to 'ol Peter Parker yet.

Thanks DM!  It's not a direct retelling of those stories, so don't be surprised if you ever read something that doesn't jive with the story I wrote.  I really liked the Swordsman, and the set of tales surrounding the whole "Celestial Madonna' thing seemed like a tremendous example of wasted potential.  The tale Englehart told was just so out there and weird that I thought I'd try a DCUG-esq approach to it, and just rewrite the thing wholesale.  Some of the basic elements are the same, but the tone and themes, as well as most of the story, are completely different.
God Bless

Jimaras8

Take all the time you need Benton :thumbup:! I see your point and i understandit,better a decent spidey campaign than a loosely made.I just reported it because i have a special connection to the webslinger.See it was the first comic i ever received and the one that shipped me to Marvel Universe.Anyway apart form nolstagic i want to inform alla of you guys that i may not have any modding or coding skills but i would be more than happy to playtest and mods you create.Its the least i can do :D

Cyber Burn

So I played a little bit of the Avengers and Invaders campaigns:

Spoiler
In the Avengers campaign, played on easy, Hawkeye and Black Widow were dead before I even knew they were playable. Those Zodiac troopers were tough, Giant Man was a definite tank, and I wouldn't have gotten anywhere without him. In the Invaders, I just got swarmed with Nazi's, again, losing half my team before I knew what hit me. But I did have fun playing and can't wait till I have time to play more.

BentonGrey

Thanks for the offer Jimaras, I'll keep that in mind. :)

CB:
Spoiler
Yeah, you've really got to be on top of things in that first Avengers mission with the team split in two like that.  It's really a case where you've got to pause right off the bat and issues orders.  Maybe I should move the Zodiac troops back a bit.

Which mission in the Invaders campaign gave you trouble?
God Bless

Cyber Burn

Quote from: BentonGrey on January 30, 2013, 04:25:36 PM
Thanks for the offer Jimaras, I'll keep that in mind. :)

CB:
Spoiler
Yeah, you've really got to be on top of things in that first Avengers mission with the team split in two like that.  It's really a case where you've got to pause right off the bat and issues orders.  Maybe I should move the Zodiac troops back a bit.

Which mission in the Invaders campaign gave you trouble?

Spoiler
The mission with the Nazi Sky Kings, they just swarmed me in nothing flat. Samething happened when I started the X-Men campaign, the Sentinels just kept coming, it was insane...fun...but insane.

cmdrkoenig67

Thanks for the patch, Benton...I had the same problem with the Quinjet mission.

Spoiler
In the first mission, I basically drew everyone together and beat the crap out of the Zodiac troopers.

BTW, B...
Spoiler
Why are the Avengers hanging out in the X-Men HQ?  I have an Avengers map that uses the same base that you could use.

Dana

BentonGrey

Quote from: cmdrkoenig67 on February 01, 2013, 12:49:04 AM

Spoiler
In the first mission, I basically drew everyone together and beat the crap out of the Zodiac troopers.

BTW, B...
Spoiler
Why are the Avengers hanging out in the X-Men HQ?  I have an Avengers map that uses the same base that you could use.

Dana

Haha, that's the map you gave me when I asked for an Avengers map, Dana. :)
God Bless

Cyber Burn

Hey Benton,

Spoiler
I'm stuck at the Quinjet level, I installed the patch but there's still no real map(The Floor is all Black) and the characters won't move, I even tried going back and starting over, same result.

BentonGrey

Two questions CB:
Spoiler
1) When you say "starting over" do you mean at the beginning of the mission, or at the beginning of the campaign?  The game will keep the version of the mission it had unless you load from BEFORE the mission started, i.e., the base scene or earlier.
2) Is your copy of FF2 installed in the default directory?  Is it from Steam or GOG?
God Bless

Cyber Burn

Spoiler
I started at the previous save, but I'll try and start from the beginning of the campaing to see if that fixes it. And I am using the disk, set to the default directory.

Cyber Burn

Quote from: Cyber Burn on February 01, 2013, 03:04:44 PM
Hey Benton,

Spoiler
I'm stuck at the Quinjet level, I installed the patch but there's still no real map(The Floor is all Black) and the characters won't move, I even tried going back and starting over, same result.

Hey Benton, I seem to still be stuck at that point, any suggestions?

cmdrkoenig67

Quote from: BentonGrey on February 01, 2013, 03:30:28 AM
Quote from: cmdrkoenig67 on February 01, 2013, 12:49:04 AM

Spoiler

BTW, B...
Spoiler

Dana

Haha, that's the map you gave me when I asked for an Avengers map, Dana. :)

How very odd...Let me look into it.

I too am still stuck at the Quinjet level...And I have installed the patch...The mission still can't find the terrain.

Dana

cmdrkoenig67

B, the only team base map (of my making) that I see in your missions folder is my X-base map in your list of missions, I don't see my Avengers base anywhere in there.  I'll send you the Avengers base map, if you want to put it in.

Best,

Dana

Spoiler
X-Base map...

Avengers base map...

Jimaras8

I have the same problem with you guys.I tried loading it from the garden mission and going alla the way to the quinjet mission but i can only see my team,the quinjet and the surroundoing buildings.my avengers can use abilities but they are unbale to move.any ideas Benton?

BentonGrey

Sorry guys, I'm afraid sickness has slowed me down.  Yeah, I think I know what's going on.  I added the level.txt for that mission, but I forgot to include the terrain.  The level.txt is pointing to a terrain that isn't there.  I've uploaded a second patch that should fix the issue for good.  The patch is in the first post.
God Bless

Cyber Burn

Sorry Benton, I hate to be a pest, but the link links to the first patch.

BentonGrey

God Bless

Cyber Burn

Thanks Benton, that seemed to do the trick. :thumbup:

BentonGrey

Yay!  The ending for the Avengers campaign felt a bit rushed to me because I was burning out when I got to it.  I hope that y'all will tell me what you think about it.
God Bless

cmdrkoenig67

Cool...Hope you feel better, B.

Dana

Jimaras8

It was great Benton.really enjoyed it.I wont get itnto details for anyone to go through this.I have one question to you guys.I have found a really big bunch of skins a meshes for FF but i was wondering if it was possible to find complete heroes with abilities infused to them.I know this is tricky cause it needs animations custom fx and maybe custom attributes but as Benton knows i have a crush for Spidey and with his perimission of course i was wondering if i could add him to mod.Sorry if i scrached any taboo i am officialy a noob :D

BentonGrey

Thanks Jimaras, I'm glad you enjoyed it! 

To answer your questions, you can find herofiles, FX packs, mesh packs, and skin packs, but you can't really find packs of pre-built characters with all of the above.  The closest you can come are large mods.  Traditionally the community has preferred to keep it that way so that folks will visit the artists' websites and so that the creators will generally have more control over how their work is used.  However, like I've always said, I'm happy for folks to use my mods as springboards for their own projects, so feel free to add Spidey and any other characters you like. 

Generally, the rule with FF content is you can do whatever you want as long as it is only for personal use.  If you're going to release or display it, you need permission from the folks who created it, and you need to be doing enough work on the finished product to make it more than just a repackaging of someone else's work.  Now, many folks give permission for their work to be used in mods right in their readme files.  Other than that, you can ask around, and there are lists of folks who have given permission for things like skoping and the like.  In the end, if you aren't sure, just ask the community and someone will be able to help you. :)
God Bless

cmdrkoenig67

The patch works great, B...I am also really enjoying the mod...I still have a lot more to play.

Dana

Jimaras8

Thanks for the reply Benton.So if i want to create a hero for personal use as i get it i dont have to ask for permission.If i want to publish him to the community i need authorization.Makes sense.

Jimaras8

Ok i have downloaded some custom fx form freedom unlimited.Now where do i place them in order for ffx cc to read them?Thanks for aany help in advance