News:

Rings of Reznor!

Main Menu

Versatile Meshes

Started by rfreixo, May 02, 2012, 02:48:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rfreixo

OK, this is probably a stupid newbie question, but I have to ask anyway.
I've been using Tommyboy's versatile mesh to create characters, but the huge
files take forever to load in game, sometimes resulting in almost a minute long
freezes, especially when there many such characters on the level.
Is there any way to reduce these files' sizes?

hoss20

One thing to do is check for a "tvlite" version of a character. Tommyboy purposely stripped down all but the essential pieces for each character for these meshes. Now, more than likely, you've already done a search for the characters you need and that's why you're creating them from tom_versatile. Another solution I was able to come across over the years is that the tom_versatile pieces can be copied and pasted over to a male_basic mesh with no or very little problem. The tom_versatile is based off of the male_basic model and the pieces can be pasted in the same spot as where the versatile pieces go. You rarely have to move or reposition them or worry about the pieces flying all over the place during different animations. So, if you just need a male_basic with a bootcuffs and goggles, you can just paste the versatile pieces onto a male_basic and save yourself a few MB's. Also, if you have a tom_versatile skope and all you've done is add a weapon, then you can reduce the file size by deleting all of the unnecessary art files except for what is needed (probably, terror_bits, in this case). You wouldn't need tom_extras.tga, wings_t.tga, empress_bits.tga, etc. since none of those mesh pieces are being used in the skope.

Cyber Burn

Time is always limited (Kids), but I would be open to helping out here and there if I can.

Cyber Burn

I re-skoped your Human Cannonball mesh, and deleted the extra art files, it's now down to just under 3 megs. Plus if you use the keyframe trick, you can save more space.

EDIT: Flash Thompson and Matt Murdock are done as well.

If you want them, PM me an e-mail address and I'll send them your way minus Keyframes to save file size.

rfreixo

Thanks guys, I kinda figured out how to do it.
And Cyber, I do want them, thanks again!

Outcast

I like how Tommyboy's versatile meshes gives you lots of options to choose from. The file size can be indeed a bit large though.
Isn't there a way to delete all the hidden nodes/parts once you've decided which nodes/parts you want to keep? :huh:

Amazo Version 2.2

Quote from: Outcast on May 03, 2012, 03:19:45 PM
I like how Tommyboy's versatile meshes gives you lots of options to choose from. The file size can be indeed a bit large though.
Isn't there a way to delete all the hidden nodes/parts once you've decided which nodes/parts you want to keep? :huh:

i think its better to skope everything onto a tvlite or tf mesh, because when you are ermoving parts, if you remove the wrong thing, like a belt, then the mesh stops working.
For anyone, and everyone, who has ever done anything to improve the FF/FFvs3R gaming experience, I want to say thank you. Life is so short, and you have all brought me so much joy. I hope that one day, I am somehow able to return the kindness and generosity that all of you have shown.

Cyber Burn

Amazo's right, if you delete certain pieces, the mesh won't work.

Rfreixo, is this what you wanted, was it the coloring of the pieces that you wanted changed?

rfreixo

Yes. I figured how to skope thanks to what you guys said here, but I still can only do it with hair and such.
I can't put the sleeves on the correct places, so that's why I asked you to do this one for me.
Just one other thing: you use nifskope for that, or is it some other program?

Cyber Burn

Sent the Killer Clown your way, let me know if you need any more help.  :D