News:

Rings of Reznor!

Main Menu

Spider-Man Mod

Started by rfreixo, April 08, 2012, 03:24:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cyber Burn

I don't know if I have the time for all 4 missions, but post a link to it, I'm sure you'll get some good responses.

captainawesome

rfreixo

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?8w66lcs3bvbojcy

Here you go. Hope you guys enjoy it. I'm looking forward to hear your thoughts!

Cyber Burn

I'm sure I blinked somewhere, but is this for  :ff: or :ffvstr:?

rfreixo

Actually, I think I never mentioned it here. It's  :ffvstr:

Cyber Burn

I'm downloading it now. Thanks!

captainawesome

I can only speak as a player, not a modder, but I must say that it was very well done, especially for a first mod. I loved how true it was to the original comics, it had a nice Marvel-y feel to it. I loved how one of the pedestrians makes a subtle reference to the x-men, very Reminiscent of the 60's era marvel stories. Probably my favorite part was the Fan 4 battle, it took a very different strategy to take on each member, making the level very distictive. Keep up the good work!

rfreixo

Thanks cap, glad to know you liked it!

Previsionary

I wish I could help you out by playtesting, man, but time is such a cruel, heartless being. On the other hand, if you need someone to host it once you've finished tidying up everything, FRP would be glad to help you out.
Disappear when you least expe--

Amazo Version 2.2

where do you find the bad guys in the first mission? i found the cops, but no bad guys.
For anyone, and everyone, who has ever done anything to improve the FF/FFvs3R gaming experience, I want to say thank you. Life is so short, and you have all brought me so much joy. I hope that one day, I am somehow able to return the kindness and generosity that all of you have shown.

Outcast

Looks interesting...but the link says the file is currently set to private? :huh:

rfreixo

Quote from: Outcast on May 03, 2012, 03:03:52 PM
Looks interesting...but the link says the file is currently set to private? :huh:

It should be working now.

Quote from: Amazo Version 2.2 on May 03, 2012, 01:59:10 PM
where do you find the bad guys in the first mission? i found the cops, but no bad guys.

Yeah, it's one of the things I must fix. You probably were too late and the cops took care of them by themselves! But you can still find the regular bad guys on the level, right?

Outcast

Quote from: rfreixo on May 03, 2012, 03:54:47 PM
Quote from: Outcast on May 03, 2012, 03:03:52 PM

It should be working now.

Ok...gonna try downloading the file now. :)

Amazo Version 2.2

no, i havent found the regular bad guys yet, but i get frustrated with the cops section and stop.
For anyone, and everyone, who has ever done anything to improve the FF/FFvs3R gaming experience, I want to say thank you. Life is so short, and you have all brought me so much joy. I hope that one day, I am somehow able to return the kindness and generosity that all of you have shown.

rfreixo

I'll work on a fix for that. I should've done it before, but to be honest, I completely forgot about it...  :doh:
The shootout shouldn't start until you've reached that area.

edit: Here's the fix.
http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?8p85fr2hek98ks7
Just put it on the folder name 01_ben, replacing the existing mission.py
Now they should only start shooting when Spider-Man reaches the scene.
It worked here, but if it still doesn't work for you, I'll look at it again.

Amazo Version 2.2

sweet, i'll give this a try.

Outcast

So far so good. Only got time to play the first 2 missions though.

Spoiler
I managed to defeat the Fantastic Four one on one. But together...it just seemed impossible for me...i just ran as far as i could. And after they lost sight of me, i wisely waited till the time was up. :P

A few things that i noticed though,was that sometimes the characters would walk through crates and stuff. Also when i was running from the Fantastic Four, sometimes i would get hit by something i can't see. I can only assume it was the Invisible Girl attacking me but she really pretty far at the time. Long range force blasts i suppose. :)

I'm really impressed you've made a pretty good mod on your first try. And using just python too. I also thought the story and dialogues was interesting and entertaining. :)

I've skimmed some of the folders in your mod and noticed the spiderman theme and a wonderland theme. In what mission are they suppose to play?

I really should play mods more often me thinks. :cool:

Amazo Version 2.2

in the fantastic for section of the mod, i would throw fuel tanks at the thing, but nothing would happen. otherwise, i enjopyed what i was able to play.

rfreixo

The Thing is just really, really tough, so sometimes he can shake off even the damage from the fuel barrels. Also, being made of stone, I think he's resistant to fire, but I'm not sure.

Outcast, thank you, I'm really glad everybody seems to be enjoying this. I can see Python has a bad reputation, but it's not really that hard once you get started.
About the story and dialogues, I must give credit to Stan Lee himself. Most of the lines are original, but some is taken directly from the comics, and all the missions are adaptations of actual stories from Spidey's early days.
The songs were supposed to play during missions 2 and 4 respectively, but I couldn't get them to loop, so I dropped the idea. I have since learned how to do it, so they'll play eventually.

Spoiler
Yeah, the fight was really supposed to be extra hard. It is possible to beat them, but it takes a lot of strategy. The damage you mentioned might be the Invisible Girl's blasts, or Mr. Fantastic's regular attacks, because they have a very long range, and sometimes it's hard to spot them.

The problem with the crates and other objects still bugs me. The map is originally from FF1, and I think the objects are too. So maybe the conversion didn't go 100% correct, or (more likely) there's something I should have done and didn't. As it's not gamebreaking, I ignored it for now, but I'll eventually go back there. If anyone knows what I'm talking about and how to fix it, any help would be appreciated.

BentonGrey

Hey RF, about your music troubles, check this out:
http://freedomreborn.net/forums/index.php?topic=54674.msg750453#msg750453

I'll check out the map issues when I get a chance to test it.  I can probably help you figure out what you missed, if anything.  I've only just been able to mess around with the first mission (sorry, busy week), but this looks great!
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman
Check out mymods and blog!
https://bentongrey.wordpress.com/

Outcast

Ok. Got to play where i left off.

Spoiler
In the mission where i discovered the Chameleon. After he uses his flash bomb, Spiderman and Black Cat (recruited her) mentions they were surrounded by thugs but the thugs were actually pretty far from them. Anyways, it was a tough fight nonetheless, health was pretty low when i completed the mission.

I encountered a problem when i reached the dock mission vs the chameleon though. After the cut scene with Chameleon, i was starting to fight the thugs but after a few seconds, the whole game crashes on me. Don't know why.

rfreixo

Thanks BG, I found that thread, downloaded Audacity and solved my problems!

Outcast, could you try playing that sub-mission again and see if the crash still happens? I checked the script and found no error. I think it could've been an isolated case.

Outcast

Kept trying from my last save which begins either with the cut scene at the docks or after the cut scene at the docks. I'm still getting booted out of the game (or game simply crashes) after a few seconds. :(

rfreixo

I'll try it here. You only mentioned the Black Cat, so you're using either Peter Parker or Flash Thompson to fill the team, right? Just so I can try to recreate the same conditions.

Outcast

Yeah. I recruited the Black Cat. Then chose Peter Parker as a place holder to fill in the 3rd slot.

rfreixo

OK, I'm not 100% sure, but I believe Peter Parker might be the cause of the problem.
Thing is, thinking it was merely decorative, I put "Peter Parker" as Spider-Man's alter ego in the editor.
Then the game might be confused, because both identities are in the mission at the same time.
I don't know why it didn't happen on the previous map, though. And, like I said before, can't say for sure that's it.
If you don't mind, could you please replay the mission with Flash Thompson as the place holder?
I'm sorry about that, but it's these things that help us learn, right?

I'm replaying it both with Peter and the Cat, and Flash and the Cat. This should prove my theory
right or wrong.

edit: Right, I played it through, defeated the Chameleon and had no problem at all. Anyway, I removed Spider-Man's "alter ego" just to be sure. Sorry, but I think the problem might be with your save.

cmdrkoenig67

Rfreixo, I started to play your mod and its looking very good...However, why did you not give credit for things like voices, maps, meshes and skins, etc?  I see you used the library map I made, but gave no credit for it.  The polite thing to do would be to make a "read me" file giving credit to folks who made the items used in the mod.

Dana

rfreixo

I didn't include any read-me yet because this wasn't supposed to be a release, just a play test. But I kept the read-me files of all the custom content, I believe. I can't say for sure about maps, because sometimes I had to move textures around, and might have done it straight from the zipped file. If that's the case, I apologize. But I still have them all here even if they weren't included, exactly to make sure I give the proper credits to content creators when its finished.
If you want, I can take it down to make sure I upload a version with all the read-me's included.
Again, sorry about that, it was never my intention to take credit for other people's work.

Outcast

Quote from: rfreixo on May 06, 2012, 03:25:51 AM
OK, I'm not 100% sure, but I believe Peter Parker might be the cause of the problem.
Thing is, thinking it was merely decorative, I put "Peter Parker" as Spider-Man's alter ego in the editor.
Then the game might be confused, because both identities are in the mission at the same time.
I don't know why it didn't happen on the previous map, though. And, like I said before, can't say for sure that's it.
If you don't mind, could you please replay the mission with Flash Thompson as the place holder?
I'm sorry about that, but it's these things that help us learn, right?

I'm replaying it both with Peter and the Cat, and Flash and the Cat. This should prove my theory
right or wrong.

edit: Right, I played it through, defeated the Chameleon and had no problem at all. Anyway, I removed Spider-Man's "alter ego" just to be sure. Sorry, but I think the problem might be with your save.

I've replayed the mission but didn't use either Peter Parker, Flash Thompson or the Black Cat. Since i couldn't use my last save to continue, i sorta cheated and recruited some custom heroes as heavy artillery to back up ol' webhead ... :P What? :blink: Well it makes going back to the dock mission a whole lot faster ya know. :D

So ok. Got there in a breeze and with Spidey and 2 custom heroes making up his "amazing friends", i was able to continue on with the dock mission without crashing the game. Beat ol Chameleon and his gang in a jiffy too. :P

Anyways, i'll try to see if i can get around and do it again. This time recruiting Flash Thompson as the placeholder and Black Cat as 1 of the amazing friends. That's gonna be tough. :)

Edit: Ok.. with Flash Thompson and Black Cat, i was able to move forward with the mission. The only problem was...

Spoiler
Once i had beaten all of Chameleon's henchmen (which was very tough), i was about to beat ol Chameleon to a pulp when all of a sudden....while running from me...he falls down the dock bridge! :doh:.....below the dock floors where i can't see him nor target him for that matter. He was stuck!!! Sheesh. <_< So i go....now what do i do?...i tried to move in different spots hopefully to get a better angle/view to see him...target him...but to no avail. Wasted a lot of time walking around. With a few seconds left...i remembered the map having oil barrels. I looked around if there were still any left around, and fortunately for me there was one but it was pretty far away. Desperately i had Spidey rush to pick it up, so i can throw it where Chameleon was stuck below the docks. I managed to throw it on target but i was really hoping the explosion would at least knock the Chameleon out for good. But....nooooo....he only got 6pts of damage  (that's what i get for playing the game in Normal Mode) <_<. Good thing the blast did threw him atop the docks again (as i also hoped)....Ok..now to rush in for the kill....but then... the cut scene begins... argh...indicating that i ran out of time! Chameleon wins. :angry: Guess i'll have to try again. I was so close...so close!!! :banghead:

cmdrkoenig67

BTW rfreixo, IMHO, the "survive ten minutes" in the FF mission is too long.  As for credits, I get what you're saying about the play-testing...I just thought this was the release, since you provided a link for the entire community, as opposed to a small test-play group.

Dana