Young Justice

Started by Tomato, August 30, 2011, 10:22:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tomato

Aww, did I miss a resurgence of the JLU vs. YJ conversation? Man, I miss all the fun.

But no, seriously, I'm still floored by this episode. You kinda knew the Mantalad deal, but the Artemis stuff, Miss Martian's tampering, that's been very interesting too.

JeyNyce

No apologies needed.
I don't call for tech support, I AM TECH SUPPORT!
It's the internet, don't take it personal!

captainawesome

So, did I somehow miss today's episode, or did they just stop mid-season again?

Tomato

QuoteYOUNG JUSTICE/GREG WEISMAN UPDATE

We're going into hiatus for the time being, and since it's been a bit of a while since my last update...

SEASON ONE of YOUNG JUSTICE has all aired, but starting this Saturday and Sunday we'll be airing some reruns, including 119, "Misplaced" as part of Cartoon Network's DC Nation block. Check local listings or cable guides for times. If you jumped aboard with Invasion, and haven't seen these Season One episodes, you'll want to check them out. It's good stuff, I promise.

SEASON TWO of YOUNG JUSTICE: INVASION
*Episodes 201-207 have all aired. (How was "Depths" for a pre-hiatus cliffhanger? Not too shabby, huh?)
*Episodes 208-210 are in the can.
*Episode 211 has been edited and spotted for music and sound effects.
*Episode 212 is being edited.
*Episodes 213-218 are all overseas being animated.
*Episodes 219-220 are also overseas being animated, but we have a few more color models here in Burbank left to complete and approve.

This time we're seeing a genuine show hiatus, I think. 3 more episodes are "done" but they're probably using GL's season end to give themselves time to get a few more episodes in the can.

Cyber Burn

Anyone know if Season One is hitting DVD any time soon?

oldmanwinters

Cyber Burn

I guess some sort of collection is better than none. Thanks Winters.

Talavar

Just a heads up - Young Justice resumed airing new episodes this past week!  I'll comment on it shortly.

Talavar

That 'shortly' kind of got away on me.  Now, Satisfaction:
Spoiler
Original Roy wakes up in his hospital bed, and sets out for a little revenge.  We see a lot of fallout for Artemis' 'death' from last episode, and I just can't help but think this isn't going to end well.  Her mother or her sister (or her mother and her sister) are going to do something rash.

Anyway, it's great to have Young Justice back - did anyone else catch it?  Either way, don't forget that there's another new episode tomorrow!

Cyber Burn

Great episode, I watched it twice and am really looking forward to tomorrow's episode.

Talavar

Newest episode: Darkest
Spoiler
Aqualad, Artemis and friends attack the mountain, intent on providing information on the whereabouts of captured Lagoon Boy.  More of the team gets captured in the process, and the cave blown up.  It's another solid episode, but I had a couple of issues.  The first is hardly unique to Young Justice, but it's the one-size-fits all power types power dampeners.  The episode even makes the distinction between power types, rejecting Superboy as a candidate for capture because, as a half-Kryptonian clone, he lacks the metagene - but they still work on him.  That they work on everyone apparently, only not on Blue Beetle because his beetle is able to essentially short-circuit it, is a really lazy plot device.

My other complaint is Young Justice specific: the uncanny uber-planning that Greg Weisman likes to use.  In this episode Aqualad and Artemis are prepared for capturing Blue Beetle, which in this instance means realizing that he might be immune to the power dampeners that work on everyone else, that Aqualad's magic-based electricity would leave an opening in his armour that Artemis could hit with a tranq blow dart.  It's a chain of tenuous suppositions, but presented to the viewer as a done deal. With that kind of foresight, Aqualad should just buy lottery tickets.

Talavar

Is Cartoon Network trying to kill this show?  Let's see: bring it back for only 2 new episodes, pre-empt it for no reason, then say you're giving in to the fans and reschedule it for months later - so yeah, Cartoon Network's trying to kill this show.  Did Jeph Loeb become an executive there or something?

Tomato

This whole thing with scheduling is just bizarre. I can almost understand waiting to bring back YJ until you had DC Nation up and running... but they clearly had new episodes in the pipeline. As sudden as this was (YJ and GL were still recorded by our DirectTV despite new episodes not airing) and given that many of the shows creators had no knowledge of what was going on... someone up top must have pulled a Loeb.

Edit: I just looked at Greg Weisman's website (or the fan site which he posts a lot on... whatever), and the latest post was very interesting.

QuoteYOUNG JUSTICE: INVASION: EPISODE: 210: "Before the Dawn": Premieres: this Saturday, October 13th as part of Cartoon Network's DC Nation block. (It repeats Sunday too.) Check local listings for times.

Keep in mind, this tenth episode of Season Two was plotted before we knew if we'd get the second half of the season. Once we got that pick-up, we assumed this would be our hiatus episode. Instead, we took the break after 207 (which was a great and exciting stopping point, so no complaints). But nothing changed about our story in 210. This is a significant episode on every level: plot, character and LOTS of action. Don't miss it!

I'm posting this reminder a couple days early, because I'm leaving this afternoon to head up to Ashland, Oregon for the Shakespeare Festival. But believe me, my DVR is set to record both YJ and Green Lantern.

Edit2: Huh... looked it up a bit more trying to find a reason behind this (about the best we've heard is some rumor about the milestone character rights, but it's vague at best) and apparently the latest YJ episode still aired on Itunes, so you can still legally watch it. bizarreness.

Midnite

Quote from: Tomato on October 14, 2012, 10:10:36 PM
This whole thing with scheduling is just bizarre. I can almost understand waiting to bring back YJ until you had DC Nation up and running... but they clearly had new episodes in the pipeline. As sudden as this was (YJ and GL were still recorded by our DirectTV despite new episodes not airing) and given that many of the shows creators had no knowledge of what was going on... someone up top must have pulled a Loeb.

Edit: I just looked at Greg Weisman's website (or the fan site which he posts a lot on... whatever), and the latest post was very interesting.

QuoteYOUNG JUSTICE: INVASION: EPISODE: 210: "Before the Dawn": Premieres: this Saturday, October 13th as part of Cartoon Network's DC Nation block. (It repeats Sunday too.) Check local listings for times.

Keep in mind, this tenth episode of Season Two was plotted before we knew if we'd get the second half of the season. Once we got that pick-up, we assumed this would be our hiatus episode. Instead, we took the break after 207 (which was a great and exciting stopping point, so no complaints). But nothing changed about our story in 210. This is a significant episode on every level: plot, character and LOTS of action. Don't miss it!

I'm posting this reminder a couple days early, because I'm leaving this afternoon to head up to Ashland, Oregon for the Shakespeare Festival. But believe me, my DVR is set to record both YJ and Green Lantern.

Edit2: Huh... looked it up a bit more trying to find a reason behind this (about the best we've heard is some rumor about the milestone character rights, but it's vague at best) and apparently the latest YJ episode still aired on Itunes, so you can still legally watch it. bizarreness.

Yeah, read about the Milestone character rights, but it shouldn't be a factor for Green Lantern and the DC Nation shorts. WB should bring back WB kids or create a network for their animation. CN is just messed up.

Tomato

well the theory was that CN took them all down so they could air all the episodes together, but there's no evidence of the milestone rights being a factor at all. It's just a bizarre situation.

JeyNyce

Milestone?  Really?  I thought DC bought the rights to them?

Tomato

they did, but some writer made a comment about how he couldn't use Static Shock in TT because of rights issues and now everyone is in a panic and blah blah blah. As I said, there's no actual evidence that the milestone rights are at issue at all (certainly not with the animated toons) it's just the closest thing to a legitimate reason we've gotten anywhere so it's being circulated by the fans.

Glitch Girl

Top rumors I'm hearing in order of what I think is likely:

• Toys not selling - Something similar happened to Sym-Bionic Titan, except instead of no toys at all, existing toys were yanked.  A corollary: Ratings are good, just not in the right demographic.  (kinda leaning towards this one, as it would cover GL as well)
  • The Milestone Character Rights thing - already discussed here.  (very possible, but what about GL?)
  • January will be the premiere of a 2 hour DC Nation block with the two new series, Beware the Batman & Teen Titans Go. (mmmmmmmmaybe)
  • Stephanie Brown's appearance - The blonde girl in purple is listed in the credits as "Stephanie Brown", who to the current DC editorial is "toxic" and they wish that she never existed.  (probably not)
  • CN actually did pull it to make room for Birthday events because CN upper management had their brains sucked out by aliens and replaced with lime jello. (I made up the part about the aliens... but not the jello ;) )
The episode IS on YouTube, not exactly legally, but should be findable.  I saw it, and you can tell this was originally supposed to be the midseason cliffhanger because we get a WHOLE LOTTA reveals and things set for act two as it were...
Spoiler

• We meet the Reach, and their plot is pretty much what we guessed it would be.  They're also directly related to Blue Beetle's Scarab, which they describe as damaged.  Oh, and they brought BB's big brother Black Beetle.
  • Speaking of Blue Beetle, he's a big bad overlord in Impulse's future.  Bart is back to try to keep the Reach Apocalypse from happening and trying to keep BB from turning evil.
  • Miss Martian confronts Aqualad and tries to lobotomize him only to discover he's really on their side and that Artemis is alive.  Unfortunately, she learns this after damage is done.  She's not doing too well afterwards.
  • It is hinted that some of the people the Reach worked on might have powers they don't completely have under their control.
  • Oh and before the team can reveal to the world what happened, the Reach show up at the UN and make friendly introductions.  G.  Godfrey LOVES them, which can't be a good thing.
-Glitch Girl

"Cynicism is not maturity, do not mistake the one for the other. If you truly cannot accept a story where someone does the right thing because it's the right thing to do, that says far more about who you are than these characters." - Greg Rucka

Tomato

Well the episode was on itunes legally for a bit after the original air date(could still be there for all I know), so it's not like it being on youtube is that shocking. As to the theories suggested though

- Even if the toy line were a factor in the continued run of the series (which I doubt... the toy line failed because of mismanagement from mattel and cartoon network's bizarre air times, neither of which had anything to do with the show's success or failure... heck, the show was renewed after the toy line fell apart) they have most of the rest of season 2 completed for both shows. They've already paid for them, why not use them?
- Again, we really don't have evidence of any legal issues with milestone. There's one comment from one writer about it being hokey, but he just as easily could have been denied static because editorial staff wanted do do something special with them. Either way, there's no way legal issues like that would suddenly vanish again before January... which is when they're starting back up.
- I can see this one, if only because that's essentially the same reason yj was delayed before.. to coincide with GL
- Eh. They already have characters and stories from old dc that dc wants us to forget about in the main cast, so IDK.
- I personally buy into this last one more: some exec lost their mind.

Talavar

Very interesting episode - here's hoping some other country starts airing the rest of these episodes in a reasonable time-frame.  Australia, I'm looking in your direction!

As to why Cartoon Network pulled the just-returned series, I think corporate mismanagement is the likely culprit.

detourne_me

It was a pretty great episode though!  And the latest Green Lantern was amazing
Spoiler
(a dystopian steampunk story with references to Alan Scott!)
Watching the latest Young Justice while playing so much X-COM has got me pumped to start hunting some aliens!

Cyber Burn

What an awesome episode. I look forward to seeing the ramifications of everything that happened.

JeyNyce

The episode of YJ is on the net if you know where to look.  I do have one question:

Spoiler
They kept showing a teen with dreads in his hair.  Could that be Static?

Cyber Burn

Quote from: JeyNyce on October 16, 2012, 07:24:37 PM
The episode of YJ is on the net if you know where to look.  I do have one question:

Spoiler
They kept showing a teen with dreads in his hair.  Could that be Static?

Kind of wondering that myself.

Glitch Girl

From what I understand...
Spoiler

Yes, that is - or in this case, "will be" - Static. Instead of the Big Bang, he gets his powers from the Reach.  If you'll note, Shimmer (was that her name?  the tattooed and headshaved girl)  was already showing signs of some kind of unexpected (to her at least) power.

Weismen intends to have a number of the rescuees join the YJ group as a result of the capture and/or experimentation.  I believe Stephanie Brown was also slated to become a member despite not having powers (but the interaction with Barbara and Tim might be foreshadowing).
-Glitch Girl

"Cynicism is not maturity, do not mistake the one for the other. If you truly cannot accept a story where someone does the right thing because it's the right thing to do, that says far more about who you are than these characters." - Greg Rucka

oldmanwinters

I'm actually starting to wonder if CN has some kind of beef with Warner Bros.

First, they just left the Thundercats cartoon in limbo after Season 1... effectively dooming it without officially cancelling it.

Then, after waiting for so long to air Season 2 of Scooby-Doo: Mystery Inc in the US, they relegate it to the 2pm weekday slot without any efforts to actually promote it.

And now they just up and pull the plug on DC Nation while trying to make the fans think everything is fine so just wait till January!

Yeah... I'm starting to think something is up between the corporate moguls.

Talavar

Quote from: oldmanwinters on October 17, 2012, 04:45:04 AM

First, they just left the Thundercats cartoon in limbo after Season 1... effectively dooming it without officially cancelling it.

Then, after waiting for so long to air Season 2 of Scooby-Doo: Mystery Inc in the US, they relegate it to the 2pm weekday slot without any efforts to actually promote it.

And now they just up and pull the plug on DC Nation while trying to make the fans think everything is fine so just wait till January!

But Cartoon Network is owned by Turner Broadcasting, which is owned by Time Warner.  The channel is effectively owned by the company that makes the cartoons that were pulled.

oldmanwinters

Quote from: Talavar on October 17, 2012, 01:00:00 PM
Quote from: oldmanwinters on October 17, 2012, 04:45:04 AM

But Cartoon Network is owned by Turner Broadcasting, which is owned by Time Warner.  The channel is effectively owned by the company that makes the cartoons that were pulled.

Hmm... good points.  Now I'm really confused!