Everybody's Favorite Mutated Reptiles Are Back in Action

Started by BentonGrey, August 21, 2011, 05:59:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Silver Shocker

As long as we're talking Turtles, I should mention I recently read a few volumes of the series (Microseries v. 2, Sins of the Father, Krang War, and Secret History of the Foot Clan). Yes, I fell really far behind once again. Krang War was surprisingly my favorite. I would say the second microseries was my least favorite, though it was not without merit and it was important to the main plot (though the relevant points are made clear in the book itself). I've still got to read the newest volumes, no idea when I'll get to them.

Bullet points:

-I wasn't sure I was looking forward to a redo of the "Turtles in Space" arc, but I really dug it.
-Once again, "Serious Krang" is awesome.
-I thoroughly enjoyed the way the art portrayed motion and action during the fight(s) involving Krang. While the art for this TMNT series can get a bit cartoony or funky (depending on the artist) they're usually great at dynamic action. 
-While I knew what to expect from his art from covers to future issues, I'm not crazy about Mateus Santolouco's art (he drew History of the Foot Clan). While his human figures look good IMO his turtles look downright ugly (particularly Mikey, who looks, and you'll have to pardon the crude imagery, like a deformed fetus). I think I've been spoiled by the turtles looking good and on-model in the various cartoons, games and better live action efforts (though the Out of the Shadows game and the new movie are making up for lost time on that front), so this is a bit of a negative for me.

Spoiler
One thing I must admit was better than the original comics or 2k3 cartoon was that while the Turtles were in space, the entire book wasn't stuck there the whole time. There were subplots still going on back at setting up, I assume, Cityfall. That was a really nice touch that kept the momentum going. Also I was always hoping that History of the Foot Clan would find a way to be relevant to the main book and not be a throwaway, and it did and for that I'm grateful.
"Now you know what you're worth? Then go out and get what you're worth, but you gotta be willing to take the hits. And not pointing fingers, saying you're not where you want to be because of him, or her, or anybody. Cowards do that, and THAT AIN'T YOU. YOU'RE BETTER THAN THAT!"
~Rocky Balboa

SickAlice

City Fall is great, if your not there yet get a good bag of snacks and sit back when you do. If you loved Krang War your going to love Utrom Empire too.

oldmanwinters

Today's release of the TMNT 30th Anniversary special was quite a treat (even at a painful $7.99 cover price).  It featured a historical overview of the major TMNT comic universes and all new stories in the Mirage Volume 1 (reprint of a once-published short story), Archie TMNT Adventures, Image 'Volume 3," Mirage "Volume 4," and IDW verses all drawn by their respective artists.

Silver Shocker

Sounds cool. I must have forgot that was even coming out. I may have to get that at some point. I should mention that while I never actually read Vol. 4 of the Mirage run I loved the developments that were going on in it. So many bold changes and story twists (the one with "Kirby" is especially ballsy and made for a bloody brilliant nod in the new cartoon). It's too bad the thing never got a proper ending.

^^ This week I actually started City Fall vol. 1, and I'm amused to say I literally read it on the couch with a bowl of snacks. I only read the first issue and the first few pages of the second though (and am slightly vexed to learn that the trades skipped the annual), it's pretty good so far.

Also, as I've said in the IDW/Dark Horse/Misc. comic thread, IDW is doing a 4 issue mini series of Ghostbusters/TMNT starting in October. Pretty cool. I don't know yet if it has anything to do with the plot of the current TMNT comic but time will tell.
"Now you know what you're worth? Then go out and get what you're worth, but you gotta be willing to take the hits. And not pointing fingers, saying you're not where you want to be because of him, or her, or anybody. Cowards do that, and THAT AIN'T YOU. YOU'RE BETTER THAN THAT!"
~Rocky Balboa

BentonGrey

I'll add more precise comments later on, but I just wanted to say two things:  First, I'm still absolutely loving these books, and every new twist and turn is utterly delightful.  If you're not reading this TMNT book, you need to be.

Second, a new story in the Archi-Turtles-verse?  Ohh man, sign me up!  I hope my LCS ordered that book for me!
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman
Check out mymods and blog!
https://bentongrey.wordpress.com/

SickAlice

BentonGrey

Good freaking heavens!  I finally got my big box o' comics from my store (they ship when I get to $80 worth of books, so it takes a long time!), and these latest TMNT issues are just darn fantastic.  Every book I read blows me away.  Here are a few random thoughts:

Spoiler

Utrom Empire:  Holy smokes, I love the clandestine war of wills they're setting up between Fugitoid and Stockman.  I'm hopeful that we'll eventually see Stockman become the Fly, but I like the homage they've got going on with his Flyborgs.  They've managed to turn him into a really interesting character, and the same is true for Fugitoid.  They've completely surpassed the original books in terms of his characterization.

Serious Krang is awesome, as others have said!  I LOVE the '"man" driven to save his people' angle.  There's a LOT of family themes, and father/son relationships in this book.  There's a very interesting paper in there somewhere.

I was a little disappointed that this incredible cover didn't have more of a bearing on what went on inside the book:
http://majorspoilers.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/TMNT_UE_03-1.jpg
But that's just because it was so cool that I wanted to know about that rag-tag bunch of characters.

#31: I LOVE that they haven't just hand-waved away the aftereffects of Leo's brainwashing.  I'm impressed that they have really focused on and worked through the damage that the character took, psychologically.  This whole episode is an excellent example of the quality of these books.  They constantly impress me with the maturity (in the true sense) of their treatment of inherently goofy and fantastic concepts.  There is still plenty of joy and humor and fun, but they also are constantly elevating their material and never 'talk down' to their audience. 

Koya is awesome!  A hawk as an assassin is a great fit.

April's new haircut looks a bit odd the way they're drawing it.

#32: A good issue, tons of action, but the climax with Mikey and the bike was one of my favorite moments from this entire series.  It totally made my day when I read it!

I'd assume that April's mom would be a bit more disturbed about her leaving with a van full of mutants, but perhaps she's just in shock.  I'd have liked a line of dialog to that effect, as she seemed to accept it entirely too easily.  That's really my one nit to pick with this series, people tend to accept the mutants way too easily.  'Ohh, you're a giant talking mutant turtle?  Cool, let's get a hotdog.'

The ending with April's dad was really quite touching  I enjoyed her whole crisis of conscience over who to use the ooze on.  They've really made April a cool character too.

#33: Once again with the father/son tensions and relationships.  That was a cool exchange between Casey and Hun.  It makes sense that, despite everything that has happened, Casey can't just stop caring about his father altogether.

I've got four more books to catch up on, and I am so happy to be reading awesome TMNT books!
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman

detourne_me

I haven't been reading TMNT, but comixology just had a huge sale, 22 bucks for 26 issues! So I'm gonna try and get caught up.

BentonGrey

God Bless

detourne_me

I'm already 7 issues in,  this series is great! It's a nice fresh start too.
The issue when Splinter gave them their colors was really touching, and I love how they've set up a probable reason for Raph's anger issues.

BentonGrey

Awesome!  I'm really happy you're enjoying the books, DM! :)  Yeah, the bandanna issue really got to me.  It just so perfectly evoked the best elements of TMNT that it was simultaneously moving, new, and familiar.  You're in luck, man, as they just get better from there.  I LOVE the new take on the Turtles' origins and the added mystical elements to this series.  They've, in relatively few issues, created an amazingly lively, deep, and varied universe to play in. 

Ohh, be sure to read the micro-series too!  They often have some of the best stories!
God Bless

SickAlice

Everything Benton said DM. Most of the micros will be essential reading as well later in the series. The two that really aren't are the event issues (Infestation 2 and X-Files Conspiracy). Though the issue that pulled in most readers and also got a lot of acclaim was that Infestation 2 1-shot so take that with a grain of salt. For my money all the IDW events were well worth the read, being Infestation, Infestation 2 and X-Files Conspiracy as were the C.V.O. character related books that the first two centered around. City Fall is still my favorite IDW TMNT arc to date though I have no doubts they'll raise the bar.

Podmark

Been reading a few more of the trades recently. Still great stuff, definitely a strong contender for the best version of the TMNT.
Spoiler

I finished the first villains micro and I was really moved by a set of pages in the Old Hob story. I'm a cat owner and seeing Hob go from happy feline living with a boy to being thrown out by a mean parent was heartbreaking. Really made me feel for Hob.
I also really liked the Alopex story, that was definitely a character that needed some fleshing out.

This series really is doing great things with the villains. Almost all of them are improvements on past versions, and the new ones are very interesting as well. The only one I'm not big on so far is Slash, from what I've read he's just a big monster. Also very curious to see how they handle Beebop, Rocksteady and Hun, but I haven't gotten that far yet (Ironically I can say the exact same for the third season of the Nik show).

The artists have also done a very good job. I remember reading the old Angel comics from IDW and the artist there were pretty weak, but so far I've liked almost everyone who's worked on TMNT (excepting Eastman himself). Mateus Santolouco, and Ross Campbell have impressed me, and Dan Duncan's designs for the Karai and Shredder were awesome.
Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page

BentonGrey

I couldn't agree more, Pod.  I don't think any of the other comics have managed to be as good as consistently as this series.

Yeah, I know exactly what you mean, man.  That broke my heart.  They really turned Hob around from a character I was completely disinterested in to one that now seems really worthwhile.

I felt the same way about Slash, but I think recent events are going to address that.

Yeah, the art has gone from mediocre in the beginning to down-right great towards the exile storyline.
God Bless

Podmark

Quote from: BentonGrey on October 19, 2014, 12:02:15 AM
They really turned Hob around from a character I was completely disinterested in to one that now seems really worthwhile.

Oh I always liked Hob. He's a great gang-type adversary. But his one shot really added something to the character.
Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page

SickAlice

Just read TMNT-GB #1. SoooOO good! Nick needs to get the GB rights and adapt this into an animated special!

JeyNyce

I visited my LCS on Friday because of what happen in TMNT #44 (no spoilers, just google it) and he told me that these turtles are different from the ones in the 80's.  He pretty much told me their history and I bought the TPB and it is really good, very different, but good.
I don't call for tech support, I AM TECH SUPPORT!
It's the internet, don't take it personal!

HarryTrotter

Im still stuck in the City Fall arc...
But everything before was really awesome.
''Even our origin stories have gone sour.''
Jon Farmer

SickAlice

BentonGrey

Keep going Spade!  I really like the slow, contemplative arc that follows that, and then there are some truly excellent mini-series as well!

I'm catching up, reading through my backlog, and I'm really enjoying everything.  I'm up to #43, with the Turtles on Burnow Island, and I think this book is still firing on all cylinders! 
God Bless

Silver Shocker

I recently read the trade for Attack on Technodrome, and it thought it was awesome.

Spoiler
I'd already heard about Donatello's "death" (we'll see), but the actual events were intense and brutal. Bebob and Rocksteady are beasts in this series.

Loved seeing Stockman acting out on his own in this volume. I've always liked how competent and non-comedic he is in this iteration. I also loved the Flyborgs. What a great idea from the guys who do justice to nearly all corners of this franchise.

I also recently read the 2014 annual (the annuals, which are done by Kevin Eastman, are a serious step down from the other books. They're quite dry and slog to get through) and it features what I think is the first nod to the 2012 Nicktoons cartoon - a character using the turtles catchphrase of "Booyakasha".
~Rocky Balboa

BentonGrey

Yeah, I just read issue #44.  Wow. 

Spoiler
Donnie's death...well, I hope it doesn't last, because you just can't do the Turtles without all four!  Still, that was a powerful sequence and a powerful reveal. 

I agree about how impressive Stockman is as a villain.  They've really made him interesting and likeable, in a villainous way.  I hope we'll get to see him transformed into The Fly, eventually, but for the moment, I'm really enjoying what they're doing with him.

Shredder vs. Krang was cool, but I feel like Shredder went down a bit too easily.

SS, you're right, Bebop and Rocksteady are BEASTS.  They are awesome, always entertaining, and really intimidating. 

This series continues to be awesome!  As I've said before, every month I'm getting some of the best comics I've ever read, with TMNT, G.I. JOE, and Astro City!
God Bless

SickAlice

I cried. Still right in #2 slot for comics every month. April/Casey solo was not the usual offering, more of an interpersonal and character development issue than your standard action one but a riveting and strong read nonetheless and worth the dime dropped imo. On a " not TMNT " but IDW and as interested parties are present I also picked GB Get Real and it was totally worth my time. Granted I still haven't read the run proper, only the event tie-ins, all the mini's and 1-shots that happened before the ongoing and TMNT crossover so maybe I'm not the best judge but as a longtime fan of both the film franchise and the Real GB animated series I was impressed by that title.

oldmanwinters

Hooboy, that IDW #50.  It was double-sized and double-priced but I think it was worth it as a conclusion to this incarnation's original story arc.

And we got a very surprising reveal on the last page that suggests there may be more mad science play in the Turtles' "reincarnation" than supernatural sorcery.

SickAlice

It easily get's my vote for comic book of the month. Just wow.

Silver Shocker

Quote from: oldmanwinters on October 08, 2015, 02:29:20 PM
Hooboy, that IDW #50.  It was double-sized and double-priced but I think it was worth it as a conclusion to this incarnation's original story arc.

And we got a very surprising reveal on the last page that suggests there may be more mad science play in the Turtles' "reincarnation" than supernatural sorcery.

Glad to hear it turned out great, but not surprised as the main series is pretty consistently awesome. No unmarked spoilers, please, I'm reading from the trades.

I'm currently reading Mutanimals. Just over halfway through it. Definitely my least favorite IDW Turtles comic (with the possible exception of the Kevin Eastman Annuals). The story feels pretty superfluous and the art's a little weak. I know the Mutantimals team/concept stretches back to earlier comics runs but I just don't feel like this group of characters is interesting enough to warrant their own miniseries. If plot points in this come up later in the main book or other minis I will give it credit for that though.
~Rocky Balboa

HarryTrotter

After #50,the comic is really digging into 2003 version.  :)
Darius Dun,Street Phantoms and now
Spoiler
AGENT BISHOP:
I hope Dark Turtles show up.  :)
''Even our origin stories have gone sour.''
Jon Farmer

JeyNyce

This is really a good book.  Slash is awesome.  I hope to see more of him later on.
I don't call for tech support, I AM TECH SUPPORT!
It's the internet, don't take it personal!

Silver Shocker

So guess what the next Turtles mini will be? Bebob And Rocksteady in a time-travelling caper!

Brilliant.

Gotta love the IDW Turtles.
~Rocky Balboa

BentonGrey

God Bless