News:

Rings of Reznor!

Main Menu

DC Comics Reboot

Started by B A D, August 10, 2011, 04:50:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SickAlice

Solid point about the pandemic as well quarantines add how that effected the other ends of the equation in that and any other biz. It's weird fluctuating dynamic, streaming services alone already were that just by design. They new and old money frankly tends to have a hard time reinventing itself and adapting to news systems. In this case they are akin to the comic industry when it first started out and as many from those days would say "they had no idea what it was yet". I grant some grace on these things given there doesn't seem to be a solid foundation and likewise acknowledging most of the established entities are in fact rooted in old ways and therefore don't conform to new dynamics. I see streaming like riding a wave and hoping not to bank off a crest and capsize. The comic book industry and this was discussed much on this site is entrenched in print and is only showing signs of really committing to endorsing the digital medium, the drive seems to have been brought on by the whole distributor issue coinciding with industry and shops closing during quarantines. Likewise a well spoken of belief that to feed the digital frontier would end the print side thus a hesitation to move on the digital side properly and in full swing. Ironic as print was declared dead a long time ago and as companies hold onto that system in which they felt comfortable end up losing money as time goes forward. In any case I see the comic industry as ill prepared for the digital one and thus a reasoning to their faults in it now. Streaming video services to me are a different beast all together and seem to be a matter of gambling against an unproven medium that hasn't quite defined itself in it's otherwise youth to either a win or loss hence the sudden upheavals and inconsistencies there. Add the lack of structure as far as being user friendly and updated on all devices and platforms, noting what GhostMachine said and how my own available differs from that in both availability and limitations and how both seem to often be in flux and unreliable. It's a weird market and I am glad I don't work in it, I need stability and assurance when it comes to my bread and butter.

Silver Shocker

Quote from: Tomato on August 21, 2020, 11:02:28 PM
Quote from: Silver Shocker on August 21, 2020, 12:38:14 PM
DC Universe streaming service, in a move that should surprise noone, is getting ruthlessly cannibalized by HBO Max and anything not called Stargirl (moving to CW, also unsurpisingly) that doesn't get cancelled (the Harley Quinn animated show hasn't been picked up for a second season yet, last I heard) will apparently migrate over there.

Harley Quinn season 2 is finished already, season 3 being picked up for HBO Max was the first major warning sign that DCU was doomed. Personally, I feel like it was inevitable (it didn't make any sense to split their content like that) but I still kind of hope DC Universe will get restructured as DC's answer to Marvel Unlimited, since that was a major strength of the service anyway.

Oh yeah, it was a season 3. For some reason when I posted that I was thinking season 2. I guess I forgot how many seasons actually came out.
"Now you know what you're worth? Then go out and get what you're worth, but you gotta be willing to take the hits. And not pointing fingers, saying you're not where you want to be because of him, or her, or anybody. Cowards do that, and THAT AIN'T YOU. YOU'RE BETTER THAN THAT!"
~Rocky Balboa

HarryTrotter

So Generations is happening after all. I guess its now a Convergence style event for January/February,after which we will be getting new storylines and creative teams.
''Even our origin stories have gone sour.''
Jon Farmer

HarryTrotter

I got around to Endless Winter. It was okay,but dragged on for a bit too long. Black Adam and Hippolyta joined the Justice League.

After Future State we are in for another soft reboot,If I got it right. I see Tom King is doing Phantasm...please,dont let King mess with the legacy of the best Batman movie.
Jon Farmer

Silver Shocker

1. If that was a spoiler for that enormous 10 dollar one shot I just bought with Booster Gold and Kimiyo Hoshi on the cover, that at the current rate will likely take me about 2 years to read, I WILL throw a peanut butter and jelly sandwich at you.

2. So I have heard. Superboy on the Suicide Squad has mah curiosity. Oh, and least I forget, Joker and THE CSA getting their own book (somewhere out there Tomato's Tomato Signal just went up)? Interesting stuff.

3. I'm of the opinion that Mask of the Phantasm is grotesquely overratted and you seem to have forgotten about Under the Red Hood.

4. You guys DO know that the Phantasm is directly based off The REAPER from Batman Year Two, right? A character that got revived at least once?

5. Red X is best boy.
"Now you know what you're worth? Then go out and get what you're worth, but you gotta be willing to take the hits. And not pointing fingers, saying you're not where you want to be because of him, or her, or anybody. Cowards do that, and THAT AIN'T YOU. YOU'RE BETTER THAN THAT!"
~Rocky Balboa

HarryTrotter

I probably said it before,but weird that it took DC 20+ years to implement popular characters from the cartoons.
None of the things I mentioned involve Booster Gold,so you are probably safe. And they were heavily hyped.
Jon Farmer

BentonGrey

Quote from: Silver Shocker on January 11, 2021, 04:00:26 AM
3. I'm of the opinion that Mask of the Phantasm is grotesquely overratted and you seem to have forgotten about Under the Red Hood.

SS, who hurt you?  :D
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman
Check out mymods and blog!
https://bentongrey.wordpress.com/

Silver Shocker

Quote from: HarryTrotter on January 11, 2021, 09:10:46 AM
I probably said it before,but weird that it took DC 20+ years to implement popular characters from the cartoons.
Oh ho, don't get me started. Justice League/JLU was my gateway show for well over half the characters on that show, Booster and Kimmie very much included.
The 2000's Teen Titans show was my gateway for every character not named Robin.

QuoteNone of the things I mentioned involve Booster Gold,so you are probably safe. And they were heavily hyped.

Worry, not, I was mostly joking. Hence the Black Widow quote.
Even still this is, as I understand it, one of those one-shots that's an advertisement for damn near everything DC's putting out for the next few years. They're doing that thing they do like every few years where they go "Sorry we screwed up guys. Here, we'll change it -and we'll put out a really good book trying to explain all the contradictory bullcrap that doesn't make any sense. Mind you, we're just going to end up making it MORE confusing, but try not to let that ruin the fun."

In particular, the cover for "Generations Shattered: From the Pages of [sigh] Dark Nights: Death Metal!" shows Booster, Kimmi, Kommandi (but is he at Earth's End?), the Pre-Flashpoint Starfire, Golden Age Batman, complete with purple gloves, Steel, Sinestro as a GL, and what I assume is the Pre-Crisis Superboy. So there's all sorts of crazy things going on in that book. Who knows, maybe Linkara's prediction came through and Booster's Gold's adult film is finally a thing.

SS, who hurt you?
*cracks knuckles* *does Scooby-Doo/Muttley laugh*
Ho, ho, I've been waiting over 10 years for this rant.

The only reason people think Mask of the Phantasm is a "Batman Year One" movie is because they actually acknowledge Batman's origin story (something the Fox Kids censors on the television show largely forbid - The Batman vs Dracula talks about his origin too, but I've never heard anyone claim that film is based on Year One) and because of ONE SCENE of Bruce Wayne going out fighting criminals before becoming Batman and getting his butt kicked.
Sub-Zero was better. Yeah, it was a quick and dirty cash in, but it also starred Mr. Freeze, had Robin and Batgirl in it, and continued into the main show AND Batman Beyond.
And Mask of the Phantasm is one of the three (three? Or more?) stories that kill off the Joker, only for him to walk right back onto the show like nothing happened without anyone mentioning it in any way. Greatest animated show of all time, folks.
Plus, you know, nostalgia. And yet, even as kids, my brother and I watched it on home video and said it wasn't all that good.
~Rocky Balboa

Tomato

Oh, I was informed of the mini. Looking forward to it, even with Quick's dumber than normal design.

I'm also with ss on this one, btw. Mask is ok, but a lot of it hinges on a relationship to a character we've never heard of before being Bruce's one true love for this one movie and never showing up outside a cameo in epilogue. Don't get me wrong, it's a gorgeous film, and the voice acting is superior... But I get more out of UtRH just because the antagonist isn't a one shot love interest I don't really care about. Even Hush, meh as that one is, properly examines the relationship between Catwoman and Batman and has consequences. Mask just... Is pretty and nostalgic. Even the bits we learn about Joker are retconned in the main series later.

Silver Shocker

Quote from: Tomato on January 12, 2021, 03:06:39 AM
Oh, I was informed of the mini. Looking forward to it, even with Quick's dumber than normal design.

I'm also with ss on this one, btw. Mask is ok, but a lot of it hinges on a relationship to a character we've never heard of before being Bruce's one true love for this one movie and never showing up outside a cameo in epilogue. Don't get me wrong, it's a gorgeous film, and the voice acting is superior... But I get more out of UtRH just because the antagonist isn't a one shot love interest I don't really care about. Even Hush, meh as that one is, properly examines the relationship between Catwoman and Batman and has consequences. Mask just... Is pretty and nostalgic. Even the bits we learn about Joker are retconned in the main series later.

WELL SAID ROBIN! (Incidentally, someone's going to have to explain to me how a series of Zeller's toy commercials from the 80's have better animation than pretty much any show or movie DC's ever put out.)

I always forget about "Batman & Catwoman (or as it's officially called, "Batman: Hush") That does indeed do a good job of bringing CW in, and Damien's cameo (in which he gives Bruce a hard time about dating Catwoman in an absolutely savage manner) makes the whole damn movie (and is a solid double callback)
~Rocky Balboa

HarryTrotter

QuoteWho knows, maybe Linkara's prediction came through and Booster's Gold's adult film is finally a thing.
Not the best choice of word. Or the right one,knowing Linkara.  :D

Anyway,I finished the Wild Storm. Another comic book ashamed of being a comic book. No costumes,no code names (for the most parts),Demonites(just Demons now) are basically good Skrulls,Helspont is now just some mad doctor...So why even bother making this a Wildstorm reboot? You could have changed the names and just do this high concept spy comic you wanted to do.

Jon Farmer

Silver Shocker

Hmm, not sounding too good.

QuoteAnother comic book ashamed of being a comic book.

Well, not every comic book is a superhero comic, or even in the sci-fi/fantasy genre. But even still, making Wilstorm less  than Wildstorm doesn't sound too interesting.
~Rocky Balboa

HarryTrotter

QuoteWell, not every comic book is a superhero comic, or even in the sci-fi/fantasy genre.
Im fine with that. I just don't like this superspy sf mashup being sold as a Wildstorm reboot. Its like if a Batman reboot starred some guy called Bruce Wayne who is the top CIA assasin. [Insert your own Killer Elite style disclaimer.]
Jon Farmer

Silver Shocker

They did do that with Nightwing. It was called "Grayson". Hey wait a minute...

*double checks writing team online*

Tom King

~Rocky Balboa

HarryTrotter

Why is Tom King hyped so much? Because average redditors are mindblown with Omega Men being Middle East in space,I guess. What a load of cr@p that series was.

Anyway,back to the topic. There was supposed to be a Wildcats spinoff,but it got delayed...and I guess its not happening now when DC canceled everything that doesn't have Batman in it.
Jon Farmer

Silver Shocker

Don't forget Vision and Mister Miracle. Though at least Deadpool called out Mister Miracle in Spider-Man/Deadpool.
Also I personally blame the comic press for the hype myself.
~Rocky Balboa

HarryTrotter

I haven't read those,but I did read Omega Man. Characters speak in nothing but exposition and soap box lectures. In case the reader is too stupid the figure out the "subtle" analogies,somebody makes a speech about their dudes being basically Israel in space.
Also,somehow the American army is mining planets halfway across the galaxy and its all their fault. This doesn't make any sense,Rick!
Jon Farmer

Silver Shocker

I'm pretty sure this is at least the third time we've talked about this. And I'm reasonably sure I mentioned I read the first issue of Vision and didn't think it was all that special.
~Rocky Balboa

HarryTrotter

Because all the cr@p DC does somehow leads back to Tom King. On my list of worst comics Omega Men lands between Shadow Cabinet and Hyperion vs Nighthawk.

Well,now I got Batmans Grave to get thru.

Jon Farmer

Silver Shocker

Well before that the joke was that every bad thing in DC from the 2000's forward leads back to Countdown to Final Crisis. Though one person I know pointed out that even before that, and even before Identity Crisis, a lot of DC's forward trajectory started with Titans: Graduation Day.
~Rocky Balboa

HarryTrotter

Aaaaand done with Batman's Grave. The name doesn't really connect to the plot. There isn't much of the plot there. The villain,Scorn,is building an army. And most of the comic is Batman beating on his goons before the big fight with Scorn. This should have been 3-4 issues tops,but its Warren Ellis and Bryan Hitch so its a 12 issue series.
Alfred is pretty funny,even if a bit out of character.
Jon Farmer

Silver Shocker

All I want to know is:

1) Does Warren Ellis pad out the already padded out story with a new, important character walking into town and haggling over the price of an apple in what is clearly supposed to be a character establishing moment? (This would be a Castlevania S3 reference)

2) Does Warren Ellis write a pre-established character giving Ellis' the character's thoughts on rugby and/or European Football for no specific reason?

3) Is there a reference to the Gorilliaz song "Clint Eastwood"? ("Finally, someone let me out of my Grave...." - for added meta, this song was featured in the Freedom Force Suicide Squad mod, which actually was my gateway to the Suicide Squad themselves. Imagine my surprise and delight when Deadshot showed up early in Justice League with a voice surprisingly similar to the one he had in the mod, not mention Waller becoming a MAJOR character in JLU)

Now in fairness, the word is actually "cage" BUT the music video heavily uses zombies rising out of the grave, which means I get away with that "boner" Scott Free.
~Rocky Balboa

HarryTrotter

It opens and ends on Bruce's grave spot in the garden next to his parents...and thats all about the grave part. The title doesn't come into play...ever.
2) Just football. And I don't think so.

4) Does Warren Ellis nuke Moscow? Strangely,no. Come to think of it,he didn't do it in Wild Storm either IIRC.
Jon Farmer

Silver Shocker

Back to Tom King (though this would count as Marvel as well). I started reading Tom King's Vision again, starting once again with the first issue, in anticipation for Wandavision, and....nope, it's still not good. In fact, it's worse than I remember.
It's dull. Painfully dull. Flat, repetitive dialogue (even them being synthetic lifeforms with reduced emotion and humanity is no excuse for this lack of energy), Vision and his wife taking two pages to argue semantics over the phrase "they seemed nice." While Vision out of nowhere says "Perusing a set goal using logic is the pathway of tyranny. Like my creator, Ultron." And I'm like WHAT THE FRONT FLIPPING HELL ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT?!!!

This thing's 12 issues. I don't know if I'm going to be able to make it past 3. I think I'd rather read just about anything else.

And it's a shame, because I'm like 70-90% sure Viv is in Wandavision. But you know what? I've read the vast majority of comics featuring her. I think I'm good.
~Rocky Balboa

HarryTrotter

Since we mentioned Starman in a different thread,Knight family is not a thing in this continuity,I guess?
Jon Farmer

Silver Shocker

Maybe, but it not take too long before that's the case. As I've mentioned before, as I understand it, as a result of Flashpoint/Dr. Manhatten doing the whatever, DC's entire continuity is basically Hawkman circa Zero-Hour and they've just kinda shushed things together. So you have, during Johns run of JLA, Kimiyo Hoshi as the wife of Doctor Light (gross) before she shows up in full costume for a cameo in Heroes in Crisis. Diving into the Wiki reveals she apparently became Doctor Light during Year of the Villain - neat, didn't know that - Tynion wrote that - and I still have the $1 dollar book, which I haven't actually read yet as I was planning to after I read through some of Snyder's JL. Will have to check out later.

As I understand it the Legion got some fudging - no difference there - and as I understand it they kinda split the difference with Tim Drake, Superboy and...Supergirl? I might just be taking stabs at the dark here. It's DC. Just roll with it.
~Rocky Balboa

Nyte Dragon

Quote from: Silver Shocker on February 09, 2021, 05:12:19 AM
Kimiyo Hoshi as the wife of Doctor Light (gross)

Ewww. Ewwww. EWWWWWW. I hate villainous Dr. Light as a character. The only time I have liked him was in the 'Titans' show. They even made the helmet look kind of cool, by changing it from a straight on fin to a roman gladiator inspired look.

As I understand it the Legion got some fudging.

If you've seen Legion from Future State, it looks like it was drawn with fudge. Human Fudge, if you gets my meaning. And Brainiac 7, or whatever 'upgrade' they gave him is now an amorphous glob that sometimes forms a human head to speak. So maybe it was written with human fudge too. 
Hate is always foolish and love is always wise.
 ⁓Doctor Who

Silver Shocker

QuoteEwww. Ewwww. EWWWWWW. I hate villainous Dr. Light as a character.

Yup. It's even worse if you read that one arc of Green Arrow and/or the Blackest Night tie-in of Robinson's JLA run. She didn't even appear on screen much during the New 52 comics either either According to DC wiki her first on-screen appearance was during Forever Evil: Argus. I could have sworn she was shown on screen during Johns' JLA but maybe I was remembering wrong.
Anyway, as I alluded to in the "Bring em Back and Boot Em - DC" thread, New 52 Arthur was actually originally portrayed as a good guy, then died during Trinity War, then came back as a villain during FE: Argus, and then came back again again during Deathstroke in the classic costume and got retconned to being a villain the whole time. So it went from eww to double eww (heh, wordplay there)

QuoteThey even made the helmet look kind of cool, by changing it from a straight on fin to a roman gladiator inspired look.

Personally I wasn't crazy about that costume myself, but hey, if it got you to enjoy the character there and only there, that's worth something.

QuoteIf you've seen Legion from Future State, it looks like it was drawn with fudge. Human Fudge, if you gets my meaning. And Brainiac 7, or whatever 'upgrade' they gave him is now an amorphous glob that sometimes forms a human head to speak. So maybe it was written with human fudge too.

I haven't seen it, but that's quite the colorful description.
~Rocky Balboa

HarryTrotter

So Detective Comics by Tomasi...first arc is a Matrix simulation that gets us up to speed on Batmans origin. Okay,whatever. Arkham Knight story is a bit over the top. Her origin story is basically being delivered and raised by the Arkham inmates. Joker delivered her. Also, wouldn't Batman know that doctor Arkham had a wife who got killed by a batarang? Seems like a thing he should remember. Also,this means Batman has been doing this for some 20 years, which seems about right.
Hey,Reaper,nice. Which seems to be a prologue to a bigger story. Deathshot. For a Batman villain,he didn't fight Batman in a long while. And how the hell didn't everyone figure out qho Batman is in that one? They are on a freaking deserted island and Bruce Wayne is missing. But really hes running around with an aviator hat,covered in mud. There is a team-up with Spectre. And Joker taking over an amusement park.
Its all very workman-like. Not the worst Batman stories around,but hardly memorable.
Jon Farmer

Silver Shocker

That sounds like....a lot of stuff going on. Also Joker taking over an amusement park. Comics sure repeat themselves, don't they? Though I remember reading (I think it was you who said this, actually) that Paul Dini in the comics did world-building that explains why Gotham has so many amusement parks.

QuoteAlso, wouldn't Batman know that doctor Arkham had a wife who got killed by a batarang? Seems like a thing he should remember.

You ever read Tomasi's Batman & Robin OR Rebirth Detective Comics? Both runs have a group of Batman villains that are basically "The Batman Revenge Squad" - villains who want revenge on Batman because they blame him for ruining their lives, and it includes people who was horribly mangled in fights with Batman (and also Lady Clayface), such as one with some leftover shrapnel left in them and one with a batterang still lodged in their head that caused brain damage, resulting in some of their dialogue being disjointed non-sequiturs.

QuoteDeathshot. For a Batman villain,he didn't fight Batman in a long while.

Deadshot? Or is there also a Batman villain called Deathshot? Because Deathshot totally sounds like a 90's Image comic character right alongside Deathblow.
~Rocky Balboa