News:

Rings of Reznor!

Main Menu

House Rules

Started by BentonGrey, August 06, 2011, 01:41:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BentonGrey

My friends and I have really loved the idea of Heroclix, but we've found the execution somewhat lacking, so we've introduced some house rules to make the game more fun and, in our opinion, more balanced.  I thought I'd post them here in case any of y'all still played and were interested.

House Rules:
1) Turns are split up by actions rather than being taken all at once. (Meaning, actions are taken in alternating order)
2) Aquatic characters get +1 to defense in water terrain.
3) You can only take one free action during any action phase.
4) You can sacrifice your action to put a character in op. fire mode.  When an enemy moves into their range that character will have a chance to fire at them, then receive an action token.
5) Outwit can only reduce a defensive power one rank rather than remove it entirely.  (This keeps the Atom from stripping Thor's invulnerability away altogether, and keeps your toughest characters from becoming completely helpless)
6) Super Strength grants a +1 to attack roles in close combat. (instituted because we don't really play with objects, making this power useless)
7) When a successful attack with doubles results in knockback the attacker can choose NOT to apply it.

On another tack, here are some objective driven scenarios that I've come up with to help provide variety to the gameplay.  These would offer an alternative to simple slobber knocker, last man standing type games:
Prison Break: A gang of villains are trying to reach an exit point of the map.  Score would be based on how many characters escaped vs. how many were stopped.
Magic Artifact: Somewhere on the map there is a mystic artifact or some remnant of advanced alien technology.  The goal is either to A) Hold the device for a certain number of turns, or B) use its abilities to wipe out your competition.  I was thinking that the device would grant some sort of bonus, maybe +1-3 to all stats.
Bank Robbery: One group of characters is trying to get some loot (an object or objects) to an exit point on the map.  They have a limited number of turns to accomplish this.
Headquarters Assault: This would be a king of the hill type match.  One team would be playing defense, able to deploy however they wanted, while the other would be trying to reach a certain point on the map.  Once there, they'd have to occupy one or a few squares for a certain number of rounds.  This one would also be subject to a turn limit.

What do y'all think?
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman
Check out mymods and blog!
https://bentongrey.wordpress.com/

steamteck

looks pretty good.  We don't url many objects either so  I agree super strngth needs something. We gave it extra knockback.  We're actually up to about two typed pages of house rules ourselves.

lugaru

I find all this interesting, I own a big box of old clix and was kind of disappointing.

I've gone back and forth between designing an rpg, a tactical game (think deeper clix) or a CCG and I have a dozen documents on each.

I might be publishing a CCG online though... seems like the most appealing format and there are lots of good free programs I can piggy back on.