Freedom Force vs the Third Reich mesh release question

Started by spydermann93, February 10, 2011, 01:29:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

spydermann93

Hello,

I was wondering if:

1) anybody would like me to and post links to packs of meshes that I have found over my years of playing FF

and

2) if I'd be allowed to release them. They are meshes that are/were available for download created by many, many, many great artists on and off these boards and I don't know if I need to release a readme with every single author of every mesh and skin that will be in the mesh packs.

I'm doing this because I think that the community would like something like this and I may have meshes/skins that were forgotten or aren't available anymore. I have converted many meshes to be compatible with :ffvstr: (I didn't fix the ghosting issue with the meshes however) and I have put together many skins and meshes that are seperated upon download (eg you find skin x on site y but you have to find mesh z on site q which no longer exsists). As of now, I have 1,914 meshes (give or take a few edited duplicates) ready for release.

So I was wondering if anybody would be interested in this. If yes (and if everybody is ok with it), I will release packs of meshes in waves in order to slim down file size and lower download times. If no, then I will respectfully restrain myself from posting said mesh packs.

Johnny Patches

i wouldnt mind get my mits on a few.. trying to get back in the swing again .. and being gone a year i either lost some or deleted them by accident.. that computer monster gets me all the time..

Blkcasanova247

Heya Spyder....anything that you have to "question" wether or not to release...get permissions for from the artist. Also you might wanna check the yahoo groups and also the mesh master list and see what already out there...no sense in re-releasing meshes. Get all you ducks lined up, double check yourself then maybe do a release...1900+ meshes is quite a lot. ;)
I can't help it that I look so good baby! I'm just a love machine!

spydermann93

Quote from: Blkcasanova247 on February 10, 2011, 01:20:30 PM
Heya Spyder....anything that you have to "question" wether or not to release...get permissions for from the artist. Also you might wanna check the yahoo groups and also the mesh master list and see what already out there...no sense in re-releasing meshes. Get all you ducks lined up, double check yourself then maybe do a release...1900+ meshes is quite a lot. ;)

Thank you for your advice Blkcasanova247. It's much appreciated. I just hope everybody understands I am doing this for the convenience of all the players here, not for selfish reasons. I completely understand how credits and permission works (I deal with that a lot on the TW forums :P) and I'd never go against anybody's permission for any of their work (not intentionally at least).

I won't release meshes that are on the Champions or FFP sites for example, but ones that I have from the old NPI site that aren't hosted anymore on the newer one. I will also be sure to get permission from the authors of those meshes that I know who they belong to. I don't remember them all because, as you said, "1900+ meshes is quite a lot." :P I was primarily going to release packs mainly consisting of skins and meshes that aren't already together for conveniece of FF players. Also, the master mesh list is down (at least on my end) and I would just like other players to have meshes that they couldn't get before.

cmdrkoenig67

There are two mesh lists, the main one most folks used is down... http://yearbook.freedomu.info/

It's too bad, it was a pretty useful resource.  The other list is here... http://gpwarehouse.freedomforceforever.com/mmesh/index.php

it's quite useful too (although a bit out of date) and lets you do searches by mesh name or even by mesh creators.

Dana

AfghanAnt

If this could be released as some all-in-one download, I would be interested. Especially since I miss the old days of the hub and finding meshes/skins that had long ago gone extinct.

laughing paradox

I can't fathom anyone who's ever created anything for the game not to want their works to be available. Of course, that's just my opinion, so take it for what it's worth, but I would like to believe that someone would rather it be available in some big pack than not available at all.

This applies to things that are not hosted anywhere, as was mentioned already. I, for one, would be interested to see what you have available.

hoss20

Don't forget the Master Mesh List here: http://frworld.wikispaces.com/
   I always thought that it contained pretty much the same listings as the yearbook/freedomu did, but I could be mistaken. The freedomu one had the Yahoo group listings, right? The Freedom Force Link Portal has a ton of resources, as well, and includes a Yahoo group listing: http://ffportal.negative-10.com/

daglob

Quote from: laughing paradox on February 10, 2011, 10:35:37 PM
I can't fathom anyone who's ever created anything for the game not to want their works to be available. Of course, that's just my opinion, so take it for what it's worth, but I would like to believe that someone would rather it be available in some big pack than not available at all.

This applies to things that are not hosted anywhere, as was mentioned already. I, for one, would be interested to see what you have available.

There is a note in Tommy Troy's Readme files that asks that his stuff not be re-posted without his permission. I've had no luck contacting him.

But I'd like to see what is availalble, too.