Going Rogue "Soft Launch"

Started by Midnight, August 16, 2010, 08:09:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Midnight

Info is here. People who have already purchased Going Rogue can access the new stuff today.

Reepicheep

Some blue downloading bars simply don't move fast enough.

MikeB7

gah, stoopid sleep schedule and me waking so close to primetime.  it's been downloading for almost an hour now.

catwhowalksbyhimself

Took me like 15 minutes.  Probably the fact that I got the pre-download earlier made the difference though.

Anyhow, I enjoyed the issue 18 stuff, especially the tip missions.  Looking forward to the full expansion tomorrow.
I am the cat that walks by himself, all ways are alike to me.

MJB

I decided to update the game earlier to make tomorrow as easy on my download speed as possible. Glad I did it before prime-time hours.

I just hope the lag isn't terrible tomorrow. I won't get the game until around 5pm then I have to register and stuff. :(

Anyone know how the free server transfers work? Am I limited to a certain # a day? Or is it a certain # a week?

catwhowalksbyhimself

They have stated that the transfers are unlimited.  However, there is also expected to be a delay due to the sheer number of requests.

MJB

Unlimited would be great. I have a ton of toons to move around to make room on Freedom.

electro

Woot - Just got home from the longest work day in my life - All I could think about was getting home & playing GR! - Time to morph some Heroes to the Darkside :blink:

catwhowalksbyhimself

Well, this today was a horrible dissappointment for me.

I finally get GR and log in only to find the servers so busy that the game is basically unplayable, at least in Freedom it is.  The the server filled up completely.  I could choose a lesser service and do a free transfer over, but I really don't understand how that works and am reluctant to try it.

I can't really blame anyone, it's not their fault these hoards and legions of people showed up.  Get off my lawn, kids.  :angry:

electro

Same here - All of my most valuable toons are on Freedom - I played for 30 min then got disconnected - When I tried to log back in the server was full - Ow well, I can change factions later - I'll start me a fresh Hero on a diff server till this dies down :blink:

catwhowalksbyhimself

I tried that.  Even the lowest populated servers were so laggy, they were unplayable too.

I wish now that I hadn't activated GR immediately.  I wish now I could quite for a month and then come back when things are calmer, but it's too later for that now.

electro

Ended up getting on Freedom server & played for about 2 hours - Everything seemed fine as far as lag - First impressions about the expansion are pretty good - It's refreshing to have new missions & city - Would've liked a few more new powers - Not crazy about demon summoning but, the whip seems cool - All in all it was worth 40 bucks :blink:

Edit : By the way anyone know how dopplegangers work?

catwhowalksbyhimself

Dopplegangers are just copies of one of the player characters that you fight against.  They appear in certain missions.

B A D

I beat the crap out of myself more than once in some Vigilante missions.

I'm saving going to Pretoria for a bit, letting the crowd die down. For now, its all about the badges.

I must say I'm enjoying the tip missions. Lots of unique bosses, fairly quick missions, and plenty of action.
PROTIP: If you?re going to build a robot that can think for itself and then make it do menial labor, don?t make it twice your size, indestructible, and strong enough to pick you up and use your body to beat your friends to death. Alas, such is ever the folly of man.

catwhowalksbyhimself

I agree that tip missions are very cool.  They're well designed, fun and easy to run few in a few minutes.

Also, now that trying to log into my Defender is no longer crashing the game, I've found that blueside is running in spite of red server load with little noticable lag, but Praetoria is horrible.  I think this means I'll avoid it for now and concentrate on the tips missions and other new stuff red and blueside for now.  I can certainly live with that.

MikeB7

Been running with the gang in Praetoria - beautiful, beautiful upgrade.  I took fly early on one of my toons just to fly around and appreciate it all.  Love the nighttime views too.  We've been rolling thru it with full teams of 8 without lag, just occasional rubberbanding.  Was pleasantly surprised to find MOAR SLOTZ, too.  My second account is all filled up, lol.  Guess I'll save the extra slot for if they let us have more than 36 on a server, heh.

Marmeille

Ha, I did the same thing, took fly at lvl 6 (thank you awesome 60 month vet reward) and spent some time flying around admiring Praetoria.

I'm having trouble with lag and rubberbanding in Praetoria during the busy evening but otherwise it seems ok.

I really enjoy the tip and morality missions, those are way cool, fighting insane waves after waves of Malta with a 'redeemed' past enemy from lowbie content by my side was the most fun I've had in weeks, that battle was tough.
Marmeille is the wisest cat ever, EVER!!!
Cool Cape is sometimes made of oatmeal (freaking unstable molecules).
[IMG]http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k30/marma_pix/CivilWarMarm.gif[/img]

catwhowalksbyhimself

I'm glad you all are having fun, but for me this whole launch has been one frustrating mess.  The Praetoria content is unplayable, and since the mini patch the game freezes when I try to choose a server, so now I can't even play tip missions or anything.

So yeah, not having a good week at all.

EDIT:  And now Starcraft 2's having issues, so that's it.  I'm done.  Time for a computer upgrade.   :D

electro

I got my DS mastermind up to lvl 22 without picking the demons - All I use is the whip & rely on my secoundary powerset traps - Throw down some caltrops, place my healing beacon, & whip them to death - Also have help from my Veteran powers & pool powers like fighting, fitness to help out - By the way these guys are cool :blink:
Spoiler

Reepicheep

I'm loving the new yellow target thingey we have now. It is very appropriate.

B A D

For those of you remotely interested in the process, it only took me 3 or 4 days to switch from Hero to Vig To Villian. Its been fun smacking around on the  RI with evil  peeps .
PROTIP: If you?re going to build a robot that can think for itself and then make it do menial labor, don?t make it twice your size, indestructible, and strong enough to pick you up and use your body to beat your friends to death. Alas, such is ever the folly of man.

BlueBard

Quote from: Reepicheep on August 23, 2010, 11:09:46 AM
I'm loving the new yellow target thingey we have now. It is very appropriate.

What's that?
STO/CO: @bluegeek

MJB

Yellow targets are optional opponents. For example you see Clockwork cleaning the streets in Nova Praetoria. You have to option of attacking them. If you do they attack back. If you don't they continue to clean the streets and you can just walk past them.

Same goes with a lot of the PPD in Nova Prae.

MikeB7

The new zones plus the server transfers have sparked another round of toons.  TOOOOONZZZ!

The Gorgalax (Kin/Dark Brute) May get remade.  Thought I'd try the challenge of stinky ol' /dark again, but this guy's grown on me too much to get frustrated while playing him. ;)

Zotlar Eternus (Elec/Psi Dom) His alien cyclops head was stolen from the official board's costume thread, his costume is an old one of Yogg's.  Funfun tho

MERC G7 (DP/Dark Corr) Resistance fighter implanted with 7th Generation Multipurpose Ectoplasmic Retrieval Capabilities.

Sweet Mama Pajama (Kin/WP Brute)  Old character finally getting a power combo that works for her.

Nux Solarian (Elec/Kin Corr) Thrown together to heal the new melee/control toons the gang made for GR.

2-Bit (Kin/Elec Brute) The face cracks me up, he's such a wuss.

Hyperawesome (AR/Rad Corr) Wanted to try a stoopid 'hero losing it' character to do the Loyalist/Responsibility path.  And AR is one power I've never taken far.

electro

2-Bit looks funny & has a cool name :blink:

Midnight

I  hadn't seen Gorgalax yet. Awesome costume Mikey. Nux Solarian is also awesome looking.

I WANNA PLAY!

Beastial (Claws/WP Brute) Beasty is one of my favoritest brutes ever. With the brute fury changes, he's fast, WP makes him pretty survivable, and he looks SOCOOLOMIGOD... so what if his name is slightly mis-spelled. :unsure: He's essentially a kludge of a build I'd been meaning to play, cribbed from the now deleted Lin Mei, a name I thought was cool and reserved about a month ago, and a costume I hacked together at 2AM.

Zzyyra (Elec/Ice Controller) This toon is a kludge of a joke name (Zzyyxx was taken), a costume without a concept, two controller sets I hadn't played yet, and my "blue alien military squadron" concept. Yay for recycling.

Tigerhawk (Kin/SR Brute) This one was born from a desire to have a soloable character to do loyalist missions. The name came from about an hour of trial and error and the costume is a mishmash of old ideas.

Steelbeam (Traps/DP Defender) Praetorian Ironstreak! This guy is conceptually as opposite to ol' Streaky as I could get without falling out of my chair. I'll be making his Donut armor soon.

Ephemeris

I'm loving the Gorgalax, Nux and Beastial costumes!

This is what I came up with:

Queen Anemone- This costume was formerly Wyndfall (mind/nrg dom).  She was going to be recreated as an elec/nrg dom, but after some thought and imput from Mike about new kin animations, I decided to make her a kin/nrg brute.  I wanted the name Anemone, but that was taken, so I made her royalty.

Junk Shot - This is my new elec/nrg dom.  Named after BP's failed attempt to fire junk down the well to stop it.  He is a robot that is in disrepair and has retrofitted other robotic pieces to himself to replace non-functioning parts.  He'd prefer to be scrounging junkyards to find the next upgrade.

Cygnet - rad/nrg blaster.  I couldn't believe I got this name..  She is supposed to be a 40's era pilot that was exposed to radiation and now harnesses the sun's power to fly and project energy.

I've been having a serious creativity block, preventing me from recreating a new nrg/sr brute named Wyndfall.

NeoDarke

Here's my Going Rogue character on Freedom.

Midnightronic (Tech KM/DA Stalker) on the closed beta forums for GR, someone posted that with KM's stuns and OG, you were Batman. So... Yeah, I'm the god**** Batman.
I didn't do it!

What didn't I do?