News:

Rings of Reznor!

Main Menu

Playing the Demo

Started by Tawodi Osdi, August 04, 2010, 11:50:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tawodi Osdi

As the subject indicates, I've been playing around with the demo.  It seems it will be fun once I figure out the controls.  I'd brag about my character, but at the moment, I've been creating, playing, deleting, and creating again.  I'm getting pretty good at the creation, but I still have issues with the controls, mainly the fine controls and won't be trying for the full game until I get them down.

I do wonder how many characters do you get to have with the full version and what other feature get turned on with the upgrade.

GhostMachine

I'm not sure what all the limits the demo has are, but upgrading to the full version of the game lets you get out of the demo area to do the rest of the game and raise a hero to maximum level, which is lvl 40.

You get 8 character slots but unlock a new one each time you get a hero to 40 and can also buy slots from the C store (4 slots per purchase).

Each hero gets a new costume slot at 15 and 30, and you also gain one the first time you ever join a supergroup (don't lose the slot for leaving the supergroup). You can also buy costume slots (2 at a time) from the C-Store, but buying those slots applies to EVERY character you have.....including heroes you make in the future.

bat1987

Demo doesnt do this game justice IMO, you have access to only one zone and you get only 2 powers.

Lemme know if u want me to send you a friend referral which will give you full game access for 10 days. Keep in mind that level cap will be 15 and you wont be able to use zone chat, but you`ll get ton more stuff than with the demo. Only then you`ll be able to decide whether the game is worth getting or not.

Tawodi Osdi

Thanks, Bat!  I might do that around next month.  I live from student aid payment to student aid payment at the moment and won't expect one until then.  Besides, my most active character is still at level 3.  I do think I will stick with her and will use the other creation slot just for trying new things.

bat1987

Friend referral is free btw, thats why it only lasts 10 days but its still better than the demo
But its usable only once per account so when you feel like it just let me know  ;)

Valandar

I should note that being able to buy costume slots is WONDERFUL for an alt-holic like me. I have two characters whose only purpose is playing around with costumes, and thanks to the combo of the free costume as a 300 day veteran award and six slots bought at the C-store, any new character I make has EIGHT costume slots. And a level 30+ character that is in a Supergroup has ELEVEN slots. Take THAT, CO!
"I've never seen anything this beautiful in the entire galaxy. ...All right, hand me the bomb."  - Ultra Magnus

No, I am NOT accepting suggestions or requests at this time.

Tortuga

8 character slots...or is it 12 with CoV?  Multiply that by 11 servers (last number I remember).  Each character expandable up to 4 costume slots...maybe 5?

That's approximately 528 costume slots in CoX.  Without buying anything besides the game.  I'd say that's plenty for 'playing around with costumes'.

GhostMachine

Valandar

I get your meaning, Tort...

But other than private chat channels, characters on different servers in CoX can't interact. In CO, if you're on different shards, you can still use Zone chat, or just change instances to be in the same party.
"I've never seen anything this beautiful in the entire galaxy. ...All right, hand me the bomb."  - Ultra Magnus

No, I am NOT accepting suggestions or requests at this time.

Tawodi Osdi

One thing I am going to have to consider if I decide to take this game seriously is getting a much better computer.  My desktop is and old eMachines converted to Linux and has had no other upgrades which means I am having to play on my HP Mini running Win7 which isn't quite adequate hardware-wise for the task, but even the lagging demo is fun enough to make me consider getting another system.  What are the best system requirements for the game?

lugaru

I would base your new specs around gaming in general moreso than champions online... you can build a new computer with like 4 gigs of ram, a dual core and decent video card for $500 or less and that will play any new game.

bat1987

What Lu said. You`ll be much happier in the long run by doing so.

Here`s some general discussion about system specs for CO, you might find it helpful
http://forums.champions-online.com/showthread.php?t=109259

As for lagging try turning off dynamic lighting, its barely noticeable and it will decrease the lag.

Tawodi Osdi

Thanks for for the advice, guys!  If this game is way better on the full version on a fast machine, then I may not want to start for fear of getting addicted.  Even with the partial game, I've been able to create a wide array of characters.  I've done traditional tight and cape heroes, cowboys, pirates, tourists, kid super heroes...Many I probably wouldn't be interested in playing in the real game, but it was interesting to see if I could make them, like the pretty in pink tween.

lugaru

Another fun thing is that you can save your designs... right now I've got a bunch of "amalgam" characters I need saved (but not made into proper characters) that I need to take screen shots of. One example is The Questioner... a mix of the punisher and the question. Also I've got a sweet Superman/Thor.

Tawodi Osdi

Lu, that's the best bit I've heard.  I don't know how many interesting designs I have dumped just to make room for another design.  I've even been wondering if there were another to revisit a design for further tweaking.  I've noticed things in play that didn't look as good on the design board.

GhostMachine

One thing I wish they'd add to the character creator is the ability to delete saved designs directly from the character creator. I've got a ton of saved character designs, and its a pain weeding out designs I want to delete.