News:

Rings of Reznor!

Main Menu

I love Moog!

Started by ow_tiobe_sb, July 14, 2010, 06:37:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Phantom Eyebrow

I see the Moog lovefest continues unabated.  I feel that a polymath of my stature can make some small contribution to these, the proceedings.  I am something of a prodigy you know, and mastered Chopin at an early age (or was it Chopsticks?  I get confused sometimes).  As such I know a thing or two about a thing or two.  And this isn't half bad you know...

ow_tiobe_sb

Don't make me drop th' funk on you, sir!  If you force my hand(s), D.J., things might get a little weird...  :huh:

ow_tiobe_sb
Phantom Bunburyist and Whirled Braker

EDIT: And now, a little nuthin' for the Eyebrow.  ;)
Two words: Moog.

ow_tiobe_sb

I'm sure you've often wondered, as I have, what would happen if we replaced Gary Brooker's (powerful, melancholy, irreplaceable) voice with Minimoog.

Wonder no longer.

ow_tiobe_sb

ow_tiobe_sb

Name that instrumental section!

ow_tiobe_sb

Deaths Jester

Quote from: ow_tiobe_sb on August 16, 2010, 05:30:53 PM
Ah, DJ, you simply wish to make my organ play the blues, and 'tis too early in th' day for it to turn blue.  ;)

And, aye, because this is a Moog thread and not a Hammond organ thread, here is the same tune transformed by the magical power of the Polymoog!

ow_tiobe_sb

No, ye don't have to play the blues...I'm just looking ofr some chord progressions and such...ye know, AABA type ideas..maybe a little turnarounds with II-V-I..that sort of thing...real music..me thinks!  WIll listen and comment on all this stuff later.
Avatar picture originally a Brom painting entitled Marionette.

ow_tiobe_sb

Quote from: Deaths Jester on August 18, 2010, 04:59:33 PM
ye know, AABA type ideas..maybe a little turnarounds with II-V-I..that sort of thing...real music..me thinks!
(emphasis mine)

Aye, well, I'm not interested in real music; only possible music interests me.  :P

(I'm only kidding, of course.  I've acknowledged that "MoogFest" was quickly composed, mixed, and shipped out, and, I agree with you, 'tis substandard.   :thumbdown:  Though, to be sure, there's something true to what I've posted here.)

ow_tiobe_sb

Deaths Jester

Alright, Tiobe, you finally have one that's saveable in "Easy Livin'".  No time keeping problems - in your "Droppin' It on the DJ" and "Droppin' the DJ in the Ocean" songs you seem to lose track of your time signature badly ( 0:17 to 0:36) and only save it by holding out a single note to get back on tempo - and you're voicings and such are suitable for the song.  As for your "The Hammond SIngs the Blues", it sounds more like an early soul/r&b song than an actual blues - it contains all the cliches that fall into that song styling isntaed of blues organ.  As for "Itsa Myzterie", it's reminisent of an old Final Fantasy game songtrack, a bit creepy that I know that and never really played the games that much.  Getting better but ye still ahve some practice to go.  Makes me wish my keyboard's transistors hadn't burned out (yes, I had an old original moog..no minimoogs for me..full 88 keys) so I could let you hear what I'm talking about.

*Notices his own words* Okay, when the 'ell did I get so freakin' serious and informative on any type of conversation?!?!?  Who spiked my vodka with intelligence?

-DJ

Quote from: ow_tiobe_sb on August 19, 2010, 07:51:11 PM
Quote from: Deaths Jester on August 18, 2010, 04:59:33 PM
ye know, AABA type ideas..maybe a little turnarounds with II-V-I..that sort of thing...real music..me thinks!
(emphasis mine)

Aye, well, I'm not interested in real music; only possible music interests me.  :P

(I'm only kidding, of course.  I've acknowledged that "MoogFest" was quickly composed, mixed, and shipped out, and, I agree with you, 'tis substandard.   :thumbdown:  Though, to be sure, there's something true to what I've posted here.)

ow_tiobe_sb

Yeah, "Moogfest" definetly comes off as a first time thing which is okay...I guess, but ye are getting better.  Course ye could always contact me via pm and I could help out..somehow...perhaps...maybe if booze was involved.... :thumbup:

ow_tiobe_sb

Just to recap: you like the track ("Easy Livin'") which A) has no Moog in it and B) isn't my composition (Just ask Eyebrow.). Sounds like a winning formula! :P

And if you thought the mystery instrumental was from Final Fantasy, then you need to get awake, man. ;)

*sigh* I simply must continue to attempt to please.  Perhaps someday, D.J., you will achieve Enlightenment on a Friday Afternoon...

ow_tiobe_sb

Deaths Jester

Quote from: ow_tiobe_sb on August 20, 2010, 08:23:04 PM
Just to recap: you like the track ("Easy Livin'") which A) has no Moog in it and B) isn't my composition (Just ask Eyebrow.). Sounds like a winning formula! :P

I know that, I was going on more of the fact that it sounded like a full thought out piece, instead of one that came off the top of ye head at that exact moment.

QuoteAnd if you thought the mystery instrumental was from Final Fantasy, then you need to get awake, man. ;)

I didn't say it came from Final Fantasy, I said it sounded like something form Final Fantasy!  Quit putting words in my mouth, Tiobe...they don't exactly fit! :P

*sigh* I simply must continue to attempt to please.  Perhaps someday, D.J., you will achieve Enlightenment on a Friday Afternoon...

ow_tiobe_sb

Have you taken the time to think, Tiobe, you're trying to please me?  Who in their right mind would spend all the time trying to please a drunken, dead bag of filth like me?

ow_tiobe_sb

Quote from: Deaths Jester on August 24, 2010, 03:30:43 PM
Have you taken the time to think, Tiobe, you're trying to please me?  Who in their right mind would spend all the time trying to please a drunken, dead bag of filth like me?

Oh, Daddy, I know what you need, and You Need More!

ow_tiobe_sb

Deaths Jester

Final judgement on "Enlightenment":  Not to be mean, Tiobe, but "Enlightenment" made my ears bleed and that's hard to maek a dead man's ears do.  The background didn't fit the foreground music, and it felt like you were just fumbling around on the keys, no real purpose in the note picking.  Sorry.

The Phantom Eyebrow

You broke out the Heep?  For me!?  Lovely stuff indeed sir, I'll be expecting a note-for-note rendition of The Magician's Birthday next... :p

Deaths Jester

Quote from: ow_tiobe_sb on August 24, 2010, 05:43:40 PM
Quote from: Deaths Jester on August 24, 2010, 03:30:43 PM

Oh, Daddy, I know what you need, and You Need More!

ow_tiobe_sb

Getting better, still needs a bit more work..but getting better..at least it didn't make my ears bleed.

cmdrkoenig67

Great Googly Moogly!  Some of those are pretty cool!

Deaths Jester

QuoteYou've recently begun releasing user created music for the community to use in their own leisure. How do you go about creating the music, and do you plan to release much more of it?

There are two explanations for my compositional methods: one spurious and one official (I will not identify which is which, for, I am bound to say, that I, myself, cannot spot the genuine jay.).  Death's Jester asserts that I begin (and end) by pounding away aimlessly at the organ keys until something bloody well bleeds (typically, his ears).  Alternatively, Lane performs a séance to allow me to channel the spirit of one of my musically-inclined ancestors...before I pound away aimlessly at the organ keys until something bloody well bleeds.

So mainly I was right to begin with, eh?

Deaths Jester

Alrighty, Tiobe...time to get you back on the Moog trying ot impress me!  These three here
(all three are within the RAR package to save on some space) are off of Herbie Hancock's Perfect Machine album, personel and instruments as follow:

Herbie Hancock:  Yamaha DX1, DX7, DX7IIFD, Kurzweil K-250, Fairlight Series II and Series III, Akai 900-S, Roland Super Jupiter, Rhodes Chroma, Oberheim Matrix 12, Yamaha TX 8/16, Vocoder
William "Bootsy" Collins: Bass, Vocoder
Sugarfoot: Vocals
Nicky Skopelitis: Fairlight Drums
DST: Turntables
Mico Wave: MINI MOOG, Bass, Talk Box, Vocoder
Jeff Bova: Synthesizer Programming

Now, you see what I want from you, now get to it!!!  MWUAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

-Death's Jester

ow_tiobe_sb

What the divil are you trying to do with your illegal file-sharing in my thread, ya burk?  The Titans and Moderators will rain down the lightning upon your carrion-addled skull and lock down this thread in the blink of an eye!  Have you no sense at all?

:unsure:

Of course, I'll download and listen to those illegally shared files.  ^_^

ow_tiobe_sb

Deaths Jester

Quote from: ow_tiobe_sb on October 12, 2010, 04:15:51 PM
What the divil are you trying to do with your illegal file-sharing in my thread, ya burk?  The Titans and Moderators will rain down the lightning upon your carrion-addled skull and lock down this thread in the blink of an eye!  Have you no sense at all?

:unsure:

Of course, I'll download and listen to those illegally shared files.  ^_^

ow_tiobe_sb

Not illegally shared...the statue of limitations on these tracks are already over.  They are now public domain songs...so HA!

ow_tiobe_sb

Quote from: Deaths Jester on October 14, 2010, 03:12:47 PM
Not illegally shared...the statue of limitations on these tracks are already over...

I fail to see what she has to do with the matter at hand:
Spoiler

Furthermore, why couldn't you choose a track from an interesting Hancock album, like Crossings?  I am beginning to understand how your musical taste handicap may have influenced your reception of my own recordings. :P

ow_tiobe_sb

Deaths Jester

Quote from: ow_tiobe_sb on October 15, 2010, 03:54:55 AM
Quote from: Deaths Jester on October 14, 2010, 03:12:47 PM
Not illegally shared...the statue of limitations on these tracks are already over...

I fail to see what she has to do with the matter at hand:
Spoiler

Furthermore, why couldn't you choose a track from an interesting Hancock album, like Crossings?  I am beginning to understand how your musical taste handicap may have influenced your reception of my own recordings. :P

ow_tiobe_sb

Hey, it was the only Hancock album I have....geez, I don't go past the 60s to often when it comes ot jazz...more of the 50s and before..you get more working gigs that way...and hell, I'm open to alot but you're former comps still had problems...mEH!!!

ow_tiobe_sb

Yeah, baby!  It's all about the branding. ;)

ow_tiobe_sb

Deaths Jester

Quote from: ow_tiobe_sb on August 24, 2011, 07:35:25 PM

Yeah, baby!  It's all about the branding. ;)

ow_tiobe_sb

Don't make me branded that across your forehead!!!

Previsionary

Disappear when you least expe--

ow_tiobe_sb

Quote from: Previsionary on May 22, 2012, 09:18:19 PM
Dearest Tiobe-san,

Google must have been thinkin' bout you:

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1023_3-57439495-93/google-doodles-synthesizer-inventor-robert-moog/

Curse you, Prev, for beating me to the punch!

Well, at the very least, I have the opportunity of posting this rather obscure link to the Moog Doodle: http://www.google.com^_^

:balloons: :yipee HAPSY BURPDAY, Bob! :yipee :balloons:

ow_tiobe_sb

Deaths Jester

ANd here I thought we had become all moog-ed out.... :banghead:

The Phantom Eyebrow

Its not moog, but... Once more with feeling... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wmxl0n6vDfk

RIP Jon

Deaths Jester

RGHHH!!!  *falls over in exasperation*