Cervantes is spinning in his grave now...

Started by Glitch Girl, June 14, 2010, 06:13:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Glitch Girl

Joe Silver planning an action-y verion of Don Quixote

QuoteThe rumour has it that Silver and Warners are planning an adaptation of Miguel de Cervantes' 17th century masterpiece that would be rather in the style of Guy Ritchie's take on Sherlock Holmes or, even closer, something along the lines of Pirates of the Caribbean. So it'll be less with the tin-pan hat and windmills and more with the jousting with actual giants in a fantastical world, then.

:banghead:
-Glitch Girl

"Cynicism is not maturity, do not mistake the one for the other. If you truly cannot accept a story where someone does the right thing because it's the right thing to do, that says far more about who you are than these characters." - Greg Rucka

BWPS

I guess this COULD be done well, but how does it avoid completely missing the point?

What's with the obsession with turning every existing thing into a new (movie) thing going so far? I mean will SOMEONE please make SOMETHING new?
I apologize in advance for everything I say on here. I regret it immediately after clicking post.

BlueBard

Oh, I suppose a reinterpretation of Don Quixote would be something sort of new.

This could work if they occasionally showed the action from the perspective of the observer, so that the audience understands that Don Quixote is experiencing a kind of vision.  I wouldn't want to watch 2 hours of Don Quixote tilting at windmills, but they shouldn't treat it as if everything he saw was truly happening, either.  You would lose sense of the tragic elements of his story and then it basically becomes just another action/adventure movie.

And no, I don't think Hollywood will get the point.
STO/CO: @bluegeek

yell0w_lantern

Yeah, if he's jousting giants and not windmills, then it's not Don Quixote. That would be like taking that whole star-crossed lovers thing out of Romeo and Juliet - it's the story, stupid.
Yellow Lantern smash!

GhostMachine

So.....Shia LeBouf and Megan Fox reunion?

Or Keanu Reeves and Sandra Bullock?

:thumbdown:

Xenolith

Two hours criticizing 17th Centurey Spanish poets and authors?  ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ.

I barely got through the book.

marhawkman

Yeah..... I've seen one take on don Quixote and that was enough.

BentonGrey

If this is done in the way that I understand them to be indicating....it's one of the worst things I've ever heard.
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman
Check out mymods and blog!
https://bentongrey.wordpress.com/

lugaru

I've seen a bunch of Quijote variations (Fisher King is a great example) so honestly I will wait  until it comes out... but I wont be shocked if it sucks, especially if it takes place in the time of Quijote as opposed to being another character.