News:

Rings of Reznor!

Main Menu

Exporing meshes

Started by davy jones, May 14, 2010, 08:47:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

davy jones

Is there a way to export meshes from the game into an 3d readable format?

GogglesPizanno

You can use Nifskope to export as OBJ or 3DS.
Or the niftools plugins to import the nif files directly into Blender or 3D Studio Max.
http://niftools.sourceforge.net/wiki/NifTools

However this will really only work for static meshes or for tweaking things on a character mesh... this wont allow you to create or edit animations (at least not with out a lot of work provided you don't break the mesh in the first place). For that you still need 3D Studio max and the official plug-ins from Irrational.

davy jones

I mean export models from  :ffvstr: like the German Tank for example and convert them to nif, then converting them into possibly .obj, else any 3d format.

GogglesPizanno

The models are already in nif format. You just need to know how to get them...
In the data folder there are a bunch of .ff files. They are just zip files.

So look for the art.ff file, and open it using something like winrar, or 7zip or winzip etc... All the nif files and texture files are in there.

davy jones

It worked :3

One last question: How do I get a .nif into a 3d engine?

Tomato

mk, your one last question requires answers to several other questions before anyone here can even begin to help you.

#1. What engine/game are you trying to get the tank into and is there documentation available for that engine/game?
#2. What file format does the engine/game use? Does it use individual files or does it compress all 3d files into one giant file
#3. How does the engine/game deal with textures? Does it have them separate or are they included in the 3d format
#4. What program (Milkshape, Max, Blender, etc.) is used primarily for the engine/game, and if it's a larger program (such as Max) what version of the program are the exporters for

or

#5. Explain what precisely you are trying to do and why are you trying to do it so that we can find the answers to #1-4 for you.

I'm not trying to be mean here, but it's not as simple as going from nif to whatever you want... there are different methods for getting something into say... The Sims 3 as opposed to Half-Life. Unless we know what you're trying to achieve we're working in the dark here.

davy jones

#1. I am trying to get it into gmax, a freeware that has 1/6 the options of 3dsMax. Documentation at http://turbosquid.com/gmax. If not possible, any other tool.
#2 Gmax can run .3ds, .prj, .dxf and .shp files (and that's pretty much it  <_<) and can only export .p3d files.
#3 Separate textures as faras I know. It always loads the from an diferent folder.
#4 Gmax, but I got blender meanwhile.

GogglesPizanno

If you are just trying to get the nif file into gmax (or blender), once you have the nif files and textures extracted, you can use the niftools plug-ins (I posted the link in my previous post). There are versions of the plug-in for both blender and gmax. You can then just import the nif file directly into the 3d program.

davy jones

Scripts won't work for blender. Unknown error.

GogglesPizanno

Well you need to read the install instructions. You also need to install some required dependencies (like python and PyFFI). The scripts do work though, as I use them currently.

From the nif tools site:

This version of the scripts should keep working with newer versions of Blender 2.4x and Python 2.6.x (but not Python 3.x.x). At the moment of writing this, the following were used during development of the scripts:

* Be sure first to log in as administrator!
    * Download and install Blender 2.49b (32 bit), use default settings, except select "Use Blender's installation directory" when asked where to install Blender's user data.
    * Download and install Python 2.6.4 (32 bit), use default settings.
    * Download and install PyFFI 2.1.4, use default settings.
    * Download and install the Blender NIF Scripts 2.5.4, use default settings.

davy jones

got PyFFI and nif plugs. Python nowhere to find...

GogglesPizanno

davy jones

Looks like blender requires Python 2.6.4 which is nowhere to find. I tried 6.5 but errors. Help!

davy jones

Blenmder can't see PyFFI! Can anyone help???

GogglesPizanno

Its possible that you over-wrote or corrupted something trying to get everything installed. Try uninstalling everything, and then go back and install each of the components in the proper order (Be sure you aren't trying to install the alpha version of Blender 2.5 as the script/plugin handling has undergone a complete overhaul and most plugins are not compatible).

1. Blender 2.49b
2. Python
3. PyFFI
4. Nifscripts

davy jones

Still recives Python Error:Check console. Console says: No module named nif_common also for some strange reason I can only import/export nifs now :(

Johnny Patches

this might be a dumb question.. but do you even have niftools installed for blender or what ever 3d program your use-n? if so then try to reinstall them niftools can be a pain sometimes

davy jones

I installed PyFFI, Python and the importer script, if this is what you mean.

Johnny Patches

ok try it like this
1st install  Python
2nd install C+C (pyffi)
3nd blender
4th niftools
thats how i do it and never had a problem..

davy jones

Must had been me doing something work cause it works now after reinstall :D!