80's movie remake

Started by JeyNyce, April 19, 2010, 12:54:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JeyNyce

I don't call for tech support, I AM TECH SUPPORT!
It's the internet, don't take it personal!

cmdrkoenig67

I've heard the new Tron film isn't a remake (it's a sequel called Tron: Legacy)...And I had been hearing rumors of a Ghostbusters sequel for a few years, not that there will be a remake...But who knows?

Some of these may depend on how you define "remake", though...Like Masters of the Universe (Especially if they don't "remake" the original film's story, it could be a whole new story based on the toys/cartoon, etc...), The Thing was already a remake, of course, but both films were based on a novel (as the new film could be, we don't know yet)...Pet Semetary was also based on a book by Stephen King and the new film could just be a new take on the book and not necessarily a "remake".

Dana

JeyNyce

They use the word "remake" very loosely in the article.  I guess anything that was out already and is coming back is consider a remake weather it's a new take on the same story or not.

catwhowalksbyhimself

That's what I was thinking too.  A lot of these are either new adaptations of older movies adapted from books or comics or long delayed sequels, neither of which I would consider a true remake.

Both however, are made for the same reasons as remakes though--to capture a new audience using the name recognition of the older work.
I am the cat that walks by himself, all ways are alike to me.

GogglesPizanno

I do know that the Thing movie is actually a prequel and follows the Norwegian camp (the ones who found the creature and were chasing the dog in the choppper) from the beginning of the Kurt Russel version.

BentonGrey

Man....some of those movies...how could you POSSIBLY remake True Grit?  I mean, even Red Dawn is incredibly awesome just the way it is.  *shakes head*  Every time I think Hollywood couldn't possibly sink any lower, they manage to surprise me.
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman
Check out mymods and blog!
https://bentongrey.wordpress.com/

GogglesPizanno

But True grit is being done by the Coen Brothers starring Jeff Bridges....
Even if its unnecessary (and truthfully, I have no such reverence for the original), it's at least gonna be interesting.

BentonGrey

Quote from: GogglesPizanno on April 19, 2010, 04:12:04 PM
Even if its unnecessary (and truthfully, I have no such reverence for the original), it's at least gonna be interesting.

*shakes head*

I'm not even that big a fan of the film (It's no "The Searchers"), but how could you possibly replace John Wayne?
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman

Mr. Hamrick

Quote from: BentonGrey on April 19, 2010, 04:07:32 PM
Man....some of those movies...how could you POSSIBLY remake True Grit?  I mean, even Red Dawn is incredibly awesome just the way it is.  *shakes head*  Every time I think Hollywood couldn't possibly sink any lower, they manage to surprise me.  

With regards to True Grit, it's not a remake of the movie.  It's new adaptation of the novel in which the John Wayne movie was based.  As stated elsewhere, it's a matter of semantics or your definition of a remake.

The key difference between the John Wayne movie and the novel is the POV/perspective.  The book was from the perspective of the little girl in it.  It was told in her voice and was her POV as she was the narrator.  The movie was less so that, it leaves out the fact that Mattie is reflecting back on the story.  It also give equal "limelight" to Rooster's character once he is introduced.

The Cohens have apparently indicated that they want to go back to the the way the novel flowed instead of doing a "direct remake" of the John Wayne classic.  It's no different than the idea of there being multiple adaptations of Sherlock Holmes.  

Quote from: BentonGrey on April 19, 2010, 04:21:07 PM

*shakes head*

I'm not even that big a fan of the film (It's no "The Searchers"), but how could you possibly replace John Wayne?

It's not about replacing John Wayne. (couldn't be done anyways.  Just like you can't replace Bogie.)  It's about a different take on an American novel.

BentonGrey

Quote from: Mr. Hamrick on April 19, 2010, 04:22:59 PM
Quote from: BentonGrey on April 19, 2010, 04:07:32 PM
Man....some of those movies...how could you POSSIBLY remake True Grit?  I mean, even Red Dawn is incredibly awesome just the way it is.  *shakes head*  Every time I think Hollywood couldn't possibly sink any lower, they manage to surprise me.  

With regards to True Grit, it's not a remake of the movie.  It's new adaptation of the novel in which the John Wayne movie was based.  As stated elsewhere, it's a matter of semantics or your definition of a remake.

The key difference between the John Wayne movie and the novel is the POV/perspective.  The book was from the perspective of the little girl in it.  It was told in her voice and was her POV as she was the narrator.  The movie was less so that, it leaves out the fact that Mattie is reflecting back on the story.  It also give equal "limelight" to Rooster's character once he is introduced.

The Cohens have apparently indicated that they want to go back to the the way the novel flowed instead of doing a "direct remake" of the John Wayne classic.  It's no different than the idea of there being multiple adaptations of Sherlock Holmes.  

*shakes head*

It's not about replacing John Wayne. (couldn't be done anyways.  Just like you can't replace Bogie.)  It's about a different take on an American novel.

That's a horse of a different color.
God Bless

yell0w_lantern

I disagree with the assertion that Escape from New York would benefit from an update of the special effects to computer genertaed effects. The writer claims that the effects look outdated. However, I contend that computerized effects although not outdated still look fake. As has always been true with effects: if you know what to look for you can spot the little things that give it away. Stop motion, claymation, models, computer graphics all have limitations.
Yellow Lantern smash!

GogglesPizanno

*shakes head*

I get a lot of ridicule for this, but I don't like John Wayne.
Never have. Completely overrated.

BentonGrey

Goggles......you're dead to me.
God Bless

JeyNyce

Instead of saying remake, they should say that we are "updating" the movie, or "we're doing it from another prospective".  If they "remake" the Muppet Movie, I'm burning my DVD collection!!!

catwhowalksbyhimself

As a matter of fact, they are working on another Muppet movie, but it's not a true remake.  It's an all new story.
I am the cat that walks by himself, all ways are alike to me.

GogglesPizanno

Quote from: catwhowalksbyhimself on April 19, 2010, 07:52:46 PM
As a matter of fact, they are working on another Muppet movie, but it's not a true remake.  It's an all new story.

Written by Jason Segal of "Forgetting Sarah Marshall" and "I love You Man" (who is apparently a HUGE muppet fanboy)

cmdrkoenig67

Quote from: JeyNyce on April 19, 2010, 02:07:45 PM
They use the word "remake" very loosely in the article.  I guess anything that was out already and is coming back is consider a remake weather it's a new take on the same story or not.

True...But now-a-days, the term "remake" is sometimes recieved very negatively...I'd rather the writer of said article call actual remakes just that and not call sequels, prequels and new interpretations of the original source material (books, comics, short stories, mythology, etc...)"remakes"...It's just asking for trouble.

Dana

BWPS

OMG I have no idea what True Grit is but that has me about 30 ways excited.
Quote from: GogglesPizanno on April 19, 2010, 08:16:29 PM
Quote from: catwhowalksbyhimself on April 19, 2010, 07:52:46 PM

Written by Jason Segal of "Forgetting Sarah Marshall" and "I love You Man" (who is apparently a HUGE muppet fanboy)
OMG also awesome.
I apologize in advance for everything I say on here. I regret it immediately after clicking post.