News:

Rings of Reznor!

Main Menu

DCUG: Released But Still Under Construction

Started by BentonGrey, March 19, 2010, 04:39:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BentonGrey

I finally tested #s 5 & 6, and I got them working, though it was far from a smooth process!  Check out my latest developer's diary here if you want to know how it all came together or would like a look at my work on the Green Lantern Corps members in preparation for their campaign.:
https://bentongrey.wordpress.com/2021/08/08/dcug-developers-diary-7/
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman
Check out mymods and blog!
https://bentongrey.wordpress.com/

deanjo2000

I love these updates, and it blows my mind the hurdles you get over :thumbup:
https://www.mediafire.com/folder/da3a3y1ac4uqp/FreedoForce

"sorry she couldn`t wait" superman to wonderman jla/avengers.

BentonGrey

Thanks man!  I'm really glad you're enjoying them!  Haha, every time I write one, I find myself thinking, will anyone care about these details?  :D
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman

Randomdays

It's a small group, and growing stronger, but an audience of one who loves your work is better than an audience of thousands who don't care.

And don't forget the lurkers - I'm sure they're out there.

BentonGrey

That's certainly true, RD.  And I hope to do some promotion when the mod is near finished that might bring some new blood to our community.  Nonetheless, what I'm doing is for the folks that are here, no doubt about it! :)
God Bless

naitvalis

You do always Great and big mods my friend, everyone Who love aquaman Will be very interested now or whenever they discover your mod, keep up the good work man!

BentonGrey

God Bless

Borgaster

I'm very sad for write it, but this game is the only solution for play with characters of the Golden Age. DC only create games for Batman and Marvel for Spider Man. What is happening?

BentonGrey

Yeah, there's not a lot of love for the older versions of the DC Universe or even many of the older characters in the games being produced these days.  That makes sense, but folks who want a more classic version of the universe have to look elsewhere.
God Bless

Borgaster

Benton, has any mod about Superman that any modder created by a miracle that don't appear in the list of backup mods here in the forum? For The Modern Warner Bros Superman and Justice League don't exist. I find a lot of videos in Youtube that the own americans are angry a lot with the Games that Marvel and Warner Bros are create and others companies that are create horrible games for American Sports and Racing. The americans in the past created the best games, the best movies, the best cartoons, the best music in the world and the best comics. These things are disappearing day by day!!! My god, what is happening with United States?

BentonGrey

Quote from: Borgaster on December 04, 2021, 12:21:32 AM
My god, what is happening with United States?

Borgaster, that is a question that Americans are asking themselves a lot these days...

As to your question about a Superman mod, I'm afraid there aren't any that I know of.  I'd love to have someone create a Superman campaign for the DCUG, but I don't have any good ideas (nor the time!) to tackle it myself.
God Bless

Borgaster

Quote from: BentonGrey on December 08, 2021, 04:27:15 PM
Quote from: Borgaster on December 04, 2021, 12:21:32 AM
My god, what is happening with United States?

Borgaster, that is a question that Americans are asking themselves a lot these days...

As to your question about a Superman mod, I'm afraid there aren't any that I know of.  I'd love to have someone create a Superman campaign for the DCUG, but I don't have any good ideas (nor the time!) to tackle it myself.

Benton, thanks for your reply and anyway i can't wait for the updates of your mods. You are creating all that we want see in your mods for Marvel and DC. Thank you very much my friend !

BentonGrey

Thanks for the interest and the kind words, Borgaster!  I hope that you'll enjoy it once it's done!
God Bless

BentonGrey

Okay guys, I really need some help.  I had a weird bug show up when I was working on my last update, and thought I thought it would be an easy fix, it has proven super elusive:

The FFX effect that shows up when characters have specialized flight powers, like Limited Flight or Ropeswinger, but which is supposed to then fade immediately, has started getting stuck and staying constantly.  This happened after I added some custom flight effects, but I can't figure out how to fix it.  The simple solution will be just to find whatever this FFX is and replace it with an invisible placeholder, but I can't find the freaking thing.  Can anyone help me out and tell me where in the guts of FFX I can find this sucker, either in FFEdit or the actual FX itself?

:EDIT: Sheesh!  I have been fighting with this for way too long, and I finally found it.....in exactly the very first place I should have looked if I weren't a moron: FX/char_states/buoyant.  I hid the FX, and now everything is fine.  Good grief.
God Bless

oktokels

Quote from: BentonGrey on December 13, 2021, 05:09:44 AM:EDIT: Sheesh!  I have been fighting with this for way too long, and I finally found it.....in exactly the very first place I should have looked if I weren't a moron: FX/char_states/buoyant.  I hid the FX, and now everything is fine.  Good grief.

Ya-HOOO  :thumbup: :thumbup:
You don't know for how long i've been fighting with this too!! I even tried to make invisible some green_bubbles textures i found on the library folder, but with no success. Thanks for this  :thumbup:

BentonGrey

Haha, well, I'm very glad my misadventure has proven useful!
God Bless

Randomdays

Borgaster,

I'm not sure of any Superman mods either, but I think there's a 'World's Finest' mod. Traditionally, 'World's Finest' was a Batman - Superman team up book so you might want to check it out if you can find it.

Borgaster

Quote from: Randomdays on December 13, 2021, 10:18:16 PM
Borgaster,

I'm not sure of any Superman mods either, but I think there's a 'World's Finest' mod. Traditionally, 'World's Finest' was a Batman - Superman team up book so you might want to check it out if you can find it.

Randomdays, first, thank you again for you help me with LSH MOD(Legion Of Super Heroes Mod) - tommyboy, i download this mod and practically i download all mods that has in the list of the Forum(Lol). Is not possible make a petition for Irrational Games create Freedom Force 3? The problem is that the people have a lot difficult for create mods for Modern Games.

BentonGrey

Unfortunately, they don't even have the license anymore.  I've tried to track down who to talk to about getting the sourcecode for 2 released so we could make our own, but I met with a stonewall. 
God Bless

abenavides

Quote from: BentonGrey on December 16, 2021, 05:25:08 AM
Unfortunately, they don't even have the license anymore.  I've tried to track down who to talk to about getting the sourcecode for 2 released so we could make our own, but I met with a stonewall.

Yep, there's not even an Irrational Games to ask anymore. Their successor is https://www.ghoststorygames.com/
Let me see if I can find out anything.
www.alexff.com
Creator of EZ Danger Room, EZFX, EZHero, The JLA Mod, The X Mod, Superhero TV, & famous Hero Recipes, coming up: New mods.

BentonGrey

I welcome your investigations, Alex.  I contacted GSG, but they essentially told me to buzz off.
God Bless

Borgaster

Benton, it's a shame because this game deserve a new version. Never a game so good like Freedom Force 1 and 2 was created and the mods and a lot of amazing characters that was created for this game by the modders deserve my eternal gratitude. We find any character about DC, Marvel and others because the amazing job of these modders. Thank you very much to all modders of Freedom Force 1 & 2 and thank you Benton that is creating two amazing Mods for Marvel and DC.

BentonGrey

Thank you for the kind words, Borgaster!  Yeah, I agree.  The FF games are amazing, and I would have killed for a number III.
God Bless

Randomdays

Borgaster,

My advice on mods is....learn if you can.

When  I started on the forums and getting involved, the games had already been out for 10 years and many of the greatest modders, skinners and meshers had already moved on.

There were things I wanted from the above and there was no one to do it for me, so I started doing research. I asked questions, searched the boards here and other boards, and slowly got to the point where I could make what I wanted and contribute. While I don't have the artistic talent to skin, I'm at the point where I can mesh a bit and carve a little niche bringing in content by importing and skoping.

Now, even more years later, there are very few creators left at all.

For a Superman Mod - think of what you want. One level or multiple levels, what villains, heroes, civilians, and sidekicks to have, and what mesh or skin to use. What is the story to tell.

What kind of maps to use from those available, or how to create your own. How to set up cut scenes and script the adventure.

When you don't know how to do something, ask for help. We're very lucky that Benton is still here for mod making. If anyone can help, we will, especially since we'd all love to see a new mod.

For myself, I don't really have the imagination to create a story. When I get to the point where I'm ready to try to mod, map. and script, I'll probably try to use an existing adventure.

In the 80's there were both DC and Marvel RPGs with adventure modules, similar to those for Dungeons and Dragons (the Marvel RPG was actually created by TSR, the DnD company.) There's also systems like Champions where you create your own hero. Using one of their modules would give a good start. There's already a Mod created from this - the "All This and WW2" mod for FFvt3R was a Marvel module.

Take a look at some of the modules out there and see if one is something you'd like to see as a mod - think about if Superman would fit in it if he's still your hero of choice.

Start small and take steps. Take all the time you need.

BentonGrey

That's good advice, RD.  In fact, this was a bit part of why I decided to release the DCUG (and later, MA), to act as a 'batteries included' springboard for folks to tell their own stories.

Also, I've got video tutorials to get you started, if you're interested.
https://youtu.be/zjRAL8-MhAY
God Bless

Borgaster

Quote from: Randomdays on December 16, 2021, 11:57:50 PM
Borgaster,

My advice on mods is....learn if you can.

When  I started on the forums and getting involved, the games had already been out for 10 years and many of the greatest modders, skinners and meshers had already moved on.

There were things I wanted from the above and there was no one to do it for me, so I started doing research. I asked questions, searched the boards here and other boards, and slowly got to the point where I could make what I wanted and contribute. While I don't have the artistic talent to skin, I'm at the point where I can mesh a bit and carve a little niche bringing in content by importing and skoping.

Now, even more years later, there are very few creators left at all.

For a Superman Mod - think of what you want. One level or multiple levels, what villains, heroes, civilians, and sidekicks to have, and what mesh or skin to use. What is the story to tell.

What kind of maps to use from those available, or how to create your own. How to set up cut scenes and script the adventure.

When you don't know how to do something, ask for help. We're very lucky that Benton is still here for mod making. If anyone can help, we will, especially since we'd all love to see a new mod.

For myself, I don't really have the imagination to create a story. When I get to the point where I'm ready to try to mod, map. and script, I'll probably try to use an existing adventure.

In the 80's there were both DC and Marvel RPGs with adventure modules, similar to those for Dungeons and Dragons (the Marvel RPG was actually created by TSR, the DnD company.) There's also systems like Champions where you create your own hero. Using one of their modules would give a good start. There's already a Mod created from this - the "All This and WW2" mod for FFvt3R was a Marvel module.

Take a look at some of the modules out there and see if one is something you'd like to see as a mod - think about if Superman would fit in it if he's still your hero of choice.

Start small and take steps. Take all the time you need.

Randomdays, i have these RPGS and 2.500 comics about Marvel and DC that i collected when i was child. 80 and 90 was the Golden Age of Marvel and DC. I'm not new in this forum, in the past i had another account that don't remenber the name but in this epoch the people were creating things a lot and i never posted. But i decided to go back return to play Freedom Force 1 and 2 and i needed to post for request meshes and skins because a lot of pages and now yahoo groups disappeared. My problem is my work , i practice martial arts too and don't have time. I don't have more time including for play games. Anyway, i will study and i will try create mods for Freedom Force but i really don't have talent. Maybe i will do a course of Game Design for try create mods for Freedom Force, thank you !

Borgaster

Quote from: BentonGrey on December 17, 2021, 11:31:52 PM
That's good advice, RD.  In fact, this was a bit part of why I decided to release the DCUG (and later, MA), to act as a 'batteries included' springboard for folks to tell their own stories.

Also, I've got video tutorials to get you started, if you're interested.
https://youtu.be/zjRAL8-MhAY

Benton, in the Yahoo Groups of Cyber Burn i  found an Superman of Earth X, i tried find Overman like appear in this picture :   https://oyster.ignimgs.com/wordpress/stg.ign.com/2017/11/Multiversity-Guide-Book-Earth-10.jpg
But apparently nobody found this Superman but has hero files for this Superman and i think that someone create him. But, Cyber Burn created one and i want add this Superman in your mod and others types of Superman too because is more cool add in your mod than the normal game. The problem is that i never  added skins or meshes for Freedom Force 2 and only for Freedom Force 1 and i want your help if possible for add this Superman in your mod. This is the Superman that Cyber Burn created. https://www.mediafire.com/file/72xlsdha751dl7p/Superman_BNW.zip/file.
Is possible you or someone help me add this skin? I want add too others skins and meshes that involve the Superman Universe but this is another history and has the hero file for this superman too but i need to remember in what folder i found him. Thanks anyway !!!

WyldFyre

Hi Borgaster.

In Benton's DCUG mod the characters are located in the DCUG\art\custom_characters\ folder. I believe his Superman is Superman_Ren which is in that folder. If the skins are compatible, all you have to do is drop them in the skins folder. (FF2 uses the same folder structure as FF1).
For Freedom!

Borgaster

Quote from: WyldFyre on February 14, 2022, 11:16:24 AM
Hi Borgaster.

In Benton's DCUG mod the characters are located in the DCUG\art\custom_characters\ folder. I believe his Superman is Superman_Ren which is in that folder. If the skins are compatible, all you have to do is drop them in the skins folder. (FF2 uses the same folder structure as FF1).

WyldFyre, thanks for your reply, this was the first thing that i try. But the fact is that i don't know if this character is a skin or a mesh. I think that is a mesh because this is the descrpition in the readme text :
Name:    Superman_tf  mesh for Irrational's excellent Freedom Force game by tommyboy.
Made for Freedom Force but will work in Freedom Force Vs 3rd reich (may need NifConverting)
Requested by:

Geometry:tommyboy

Skins
Standard;Author: tommyboy

skinning guide:

Keyframes: Grenadier with additional animations by tommyboy
Should work with male_basic or male_cape type keyframes as well   

Description:

Character Created By:

Character,Name and distinctive likenesses thereof are Owned,Trademarked and Copyrighted to: DC comics, used without permission as Fan Art
May not be sold, rented, loaned or traded in exchange for money, goods or services 

Permission is given to use this mesh in mods etc., or to NifSkope or hex edit
You may NOT kitbash my skins, unless I give you permission
And I request that you give credit,to me who made the Max file this is made from, and to whoever created the character you are skinning or meshing.

Known Problems,issues and/or Explanations

So, here has another problem because i see that people has difficulty to convert skins and meshes for Freedom Force 2 and in the past i tried convert characters for Fredom Force 2 and no sucess. Benton is creating two big mods for DC Universe and Marvel and in my opinion are the mods ideals for add characters much more than the normal game. Thanks anyway ! Benton for example love Aquaman and want be like Aquaman. In my case The movie of Superman with the amazing Christopher Reeve scored my life forever. This movie inspired me to practice Martial Arts and search for good esoteric christians philosophies more than the martial arts movies. Maybe in this life or another i can fly too. Who knows(Lol)?

WyldFyre

Sorry Borgaser, I didn't realize it was a mesh. If you place the entire folder in the custom_characters folder, it should come up in the custom list in the character creation screen. If you create a folder called Custom in the DCUG folder and a folder called Heroes in the Custom folder, you should be able to put the hero file in there and have it show up in the character screen. Unfortunately, to get the character in game, you would have to add it via the editor.
For Freedom!