Nextgen meshing tutorial - not FULLY applicable, but may be fun to see what is

Started by Valandar, February 03, 2010, 02:48:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valandar

http://www.marcusdublin.com/TutorialsselectionPage.html

The methods described in the tutorial above pretty much focus on 'nextgen' level models, including Normal Maps and the like. While the techniques may not be 100% compatible with the kind of meshing FF uses, many of the techniques may be. For example, baking both a Height Map and an Ambient Occlusion map may be a good way to start a base skin with integral details, and the specular maps may be used as a Refl map in a FF mesh...

Plus, someday there might be a FF III (I can dream!), and then those techniques will become doubly valid!
"I've never seen anything this beautiful in the entire galaxy. ...All right, hand me the bomb."  - Ultra Magnus

No, I am NOT accepting suggestions or requests at this time.

Valandar

"I've never seen anything this beautiful in the entire galaxy. ...All right, hand me the bomb."  - Ultra Magnus

Tomato

Val... there's only like 2 meshers active right now, and one of them is me. And I'm fixin' to leave for 2 months during which I'll have no tech connection of any kind.

cmdrkoenig67

Yeah...I attempted to start meshing with 3DS Max 5, but Vista and later Win 7 killed that.  I'm still considering Blender + Nif Skope to make static meshes, when I get time.

Dana

Tomato

Quote from: cmdrkoenig67 on February 13, 2010, 07:57:35 PM
Yeah...I attempted to start meshing with 3DS Max 5, but Vista and later Win 7 killed that.  I'm still considering Blender + Nif Skope to make static meshes, when I get time.

Dana

Virtual PCs are your friends. Heck, Windows 7 even offers a "Windows XP mode" which I use for my meshing needs.

cmdrkoenig67

thanks Tomato...I'm still also considering the VPC route.  I just haven't decided yet, what I want to do.

Dana

Valandar

Re-he-he-heeeaaaallly?

I haven't been able to run Max 5 for the longest time now... maybe, just maybe...

Tomato

Quote from: Valandar on February 14, 2010, 03:11:57 PM
Re-he-he-heeeaaaallly?

I haven't been able to run Max 5 for the longest time now... maybe, just maybe...

I swear by VPCs when it comes to running Max 5... Ironically I think this is the third time I've done so after you reported your issues (And that's ignoring the not-so-subtle hint I sent via Prem's spotlight questions). I only use more recent versions for convenience during actual 3D classes.

cmdrkoenig67

I'd like to try this new-fangled "Virtual PC" you speak of (LOL!...Sorry, just punchy), Tomato...We got rid of the New Windows 7 computer, because it died a couple weeks after we got and I got my old computer to work again (It has Vista).  Is it easy to do (install/use/etc..)?

Dana

Quote from: Tomato on February 14, 2010, 05:18:00 PM
Quote from: Valandar on February 14, 2010, 03:11:57 PM
Re-he-he-heeeaaaallly?

I swear by VPCs when it comes to running Max 5... Ironically I think this is the third time I've done so after you reported your issues (And that's ignoring the not-so-subtle hint I sent via Prem's spotlight questions). I only use more recent versions for convenience during actual 3D classes.

BTW...I did try to download the virtual PC when you first told me about, after I got the new computer, but I recall it saying I needed Win 7 professional or something...Then Goggles suggested using Virtual PC 2007 (with a link info on how to get it to work) or somesuch...I get lost.

GogglesPizanno

You basically download Virtual PC 2007.
Run the installer. It may give you an alert saying that you dont have a supported OS... just click ok and continue going. It basically means that it will install but MS wont give tech support.

Once its installed, you run it click the "New" button, and follow the onscreen instructions. I would manually adjust the Ram settings rather than use default. Once its set up there will be a little virtual machine in the Virtual PC window called whatever name you gave it and it will probably say something like "Not Running" . Put an XP disk in the drive and double click the new VM, and it will open a 640x480 window and boot up like a normal PC (in a window on your desktop). It should see the XP disk and just run the installer like any fresh installation.

Once its done, its just like any other PC only it runs in a window (which you can make full screen as well).

Tomato

I'd just like to really quickly make a few points before continuing my SW movie marathon (First time I've seen ep1 since theaters... I wanted to mute it five minutes in, acting was just BAD).

1. As far as the VPC, remember to install the drivers that come with the DL onto the quasi-windows before trying to adjust screen size or anything. Had some fun trying to figure that out.

2. If you run on a low-powered computer or, like me, a laptop, I would suggest looking for something other than Microsoft's VPC. Microsoft's is free, but I hear certain other ones do a better job at emulation, which is key when you're already running two memory hogs in Vista and Max.

GogglesPizanno

Quote from: Tomato on February 14, 2010, 11:41:42 PM
1. As far as the VPC, remember to install the drivers that come with the DL onto the quasi-windows before trying to adjust screen size or anything. Had some fun trying to figure that out.

2. If you run on a low-powered computer or, like me, a laptop, I would suggest looking for something other than Microsoft's VPC. Microsoft's is free, but I hear certain other ones do a better job at emulation, which is key when you're already running two memory hogs in Vista and Max.

While I agree with his points, bear in mind this is coming from a man who has chosen of his own freewill to watch Episode 1 again.

Tomato

To be fair, the last time I saw it was when I was 10 years old (my dad point-blank refused to buy it. I can't blame him). You have no real understanding of how bad a movie is when you're ten.

Valandar

Quote from: GogglesPizanno on February 15, 2010, 12:51:25 AM
Quote from: Tomato on February 14, 2010, 11:41:42 PM

While I agree with his points, bear in mind this is coming from a man who has chosen of his own freewill to watch Episode 1 again.

JEEZ I keep forgetting how young some of you whippersnappers are... Just turned 40 back in November, here.

cmdrkoenig67

Eek...Y'all are making me feel old...Anyway, the biggest issue I can see now with running a Virtual PC is that whole XP disk thing...Ain't gonna happen...I do not have one of those.

Dana

BTW:  My thoughts on Episodes I -III...I was perfectly content with seeing (and loved) the original Trilogy and wish I hadn't seen what supposedly "came before"...Arrgh!

GogglesPizanno

Green Hornet

The virtual pc is a download from Microsoft but you need to be running Win 7 pro or ultimate for it to work.  :rickbm

GogglesPizanno

I think Virtual PC will work on all versions of Windows 7, you just don't get the accelerated windows XP mode on anything but Pro or Ultimate.

Virtual PC 2007 (also downloadable from MS but you have to look for it) works just fine on older OS's.
I use it on XP with no problems at all.