Rings of Reznor!

Main Menu

Nevermore?

Started by RTTingle, January 19, 2010, 01:20:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RTTingle

This honestly breaks my heart...

BALTIMORE (AP) ? Is this tradition "nevermore?"

A mysterious visitor who for decades has left roses and cognac at the grave of Edgar Allen Poe has failed to show up for the anniversary of the writer's birthday.

The curator of the Poe House and Museum in Baltimore says the graveyard tradition dates back to at least 1949 and has never been interrupted before.

Tuesday is the 201st anniversary of Poe's birth and some three dozen fans waited all night with the curator, Jeff Jerome, for the visitor to arrive at the downtown church cemetery.

But early Tuesday, Jerome announced that the visitor, who had always appeared between midnight and 5:30 a.m., never showed. He had no explanation why.

Kenn

Well, there are a couple of possibilities...

1) That anyone leaving cognac at a grave in 1949 was probably born no later than 1930 or so, and therefore at the age of 80 may be in a home (and not be able to leave) or have gone the way of all living things.

2) That maybe the point of leaving the roses and the cognac was a private matter between the person and Poe, and the idea of being made a spectacle for 30-40 people was enough of a deterrent to keep away.

3) He or she WAS there but didn't leave the flowers and booze this year (money's tight or didn't want to be public about it) but was still able to be there.   I mean there was a throng of visitors there and really, who was it who said the best place to hide something is in plain view?
My Amazing Woman - A Romantic Comedy of Super Heroic Proportions.

Also what Lightning Man and Kenn-X have been doing lately.