News:

Rings of Reznor!

Main Menu

Tomato To Model

Started by Tomato, October 16, 2014, 07:53:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tomato

Not really, the stand actually comes as a solid piece of plastic.

A friend of mine suggested making the RIP gray, and it honestly does look better. About the only issue I see with this one is the gray... see, for most of the others the print is intended to come in the primary color of the logo, but Shapeways doesn't actually offer a gray plastic. Now, I could probably use a gray spray paint to get a solid coating, but honestly I think it might be easier to just get this one in black and paint the gray over it.

And now... I still have to figure out the bloody sinister seven. Hrm.

Reepicheep

That does look better. And now it's clearly a gravestone. Before you added the RIP it was just an ambiguous shape.

I'm noticing that the decal in the centre is extruded slightly further out than the border. I kinda feel like it should be the opposite way around, Tomato. Also, I think you should consider increasing the resolution of the ovals by a couple of factors. I don't know if it's the render, but the edges look very visible. That'll show up on the final print.

PG: Depending on the method, and I'm assuming this is extrusion, the plastic is in a melted state when it's set so it's fused to the previous layer. The other likely method is where the plastic comes as a powder and is even more robust. It's only if there were nothing underneath closed letter counters that it would be an issue.

Tomato

It's extruding the same, actually. It's hard to tell at that angle, but there's a gap between the grave logo and the border, so it's giving the illusion of being higher.

As for the edges... I probably should, but I want to see it in hand first. My experience is it needs some amount of smoothing regardless.

Tomato

this is what I came up with for Sin Seven

Podmark

Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page

Reepicheep

Ah, I see what you mean about the heights. That makes sense.

Did you increase the resolution? I don't know if I was being anal retentive for some reason yesterday, but actually it doesn't look nearly as much of a problem as I thought it did, even looking back on the old ones.

Are you finishing the pieces once they arrive? Sanding the edges, etc? In which case I guess resolution doesn't matter all that much anyway, as long as it's reasonably high.

Doc Ock's looks really good. The only thing I'm not totally convinced about are the arms. I don't have much of a suggestion that I imagine working better, but I'd try narrowing them by about half the width as they reach the claws. Depending on how you've made them, it should be quite easy to try. Are you using blender, or something else?

I'm also kind of wondering if there should be some more detail on the main circle, to match the theme of the claws a little? Maybe just a bit of negative space to make it a little more robotic looking. I may be totally wrong and it may just make the icon look a little bit weak. It already looks fine, I'm just stating things that I'd explore.

Tomato

I actually thought of some ideas last night for it.

Reepicheep

daglob

Tomato

I think I have my Sinister 7 stand. I changed things around with the render this time... I'm planning on painting this stand in a silver paint, so I used some metallic materials to render the preview.

Tomato

So for those wondering about the figure bases... long story short, they're not up to snuff yet. The size was actually pretty much perfect, but the peg was too tall and too thin. Add to that the fact that I've been gearing up for RTX in a few weeks... and yeah, pretty much nothing's been done.