So how is this game shaping up?

Started by GrizzlyBearTalon, October 01, 2009, 05:14:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GrizzlyBearTalon

So how is this game shaping up?

Just curious, I was in the closed Beta a good while back and gave up. It was kinda stanky at the time I guess would be the best way to put it. I'm curious how people feel about it now that it has been around at least a little bit, especially anyone that was in the beta and is now playing it.

What is the good/bad overall feeling of it?

Valandar

I'm liking it, so far. It has the potential (emphasize "potential") to be far better than City of Heroes. There are very few "grind" missions as most have a clearly defined goal; random drop items and strangers running up to you can give you missions so you feel more like a Superhero (and less like a gopher for a contact who can't be arsed to do what he's sending you to do), and Mil City looks and feels more like a "real" city than any part of CoH.

The flaws? Well, content. It just doesn't have the five or six years' worth CoH has. But that will come with time. Also, levelling seems too fast and easy - I'm halfway to the level cap and had it less than a week. Hopefully future expansions will add to the level cap, a la WoW and Evercrack...
"I've never seen anything this beautiful in the entire galaxy. ...All right, hand me the bomb."  - Ultra Magnus

No, I am NOT accepting suggestions or requests at this time.

GhostMachine

The devs admitted that they launched too early, and it shows: they do maintenance way too often, and they let a major, major bug that had been known about on test for at least four days get through that hurt gameplay for some people and they waited almost a day to fix it. (Imagine someone with a normal submachine gun and no magic or Kryptonite around defeating Superman - it was THAT bad)

They did a new patch yesterday and apparently it caused server crashes a lot, so the game was down several hours longer than it should have been.

And I really hope that along with new content, we get more character slots. I'd even be willing to pay for them if the price was reasonable, but only if you can buy them in batches, not one slot at a time.

UnkoMan

Okay, there's some flaws. Which is why I got the lifetime subscription. I remembered playing CoH when it first came out and realizing that it was just this boring grind and I didn't have any fun. There weren't enough powers, I couldn't solo for a lot of the things. And the graphics... ugh.

This one has graphics I quite enjoy. Style wise and customization wise. It's got a neater set up for powers. I like the way the energy system works. And I really like the pace of leveling, actually.

I am a casual gamer. I don't play all the time and I jump between a ton of characters. Half the time I'm just making costumes. To this day I've only ever been level 15 / 16 in CoH, and that's really only where it starts to get interesting (at least when I played it). I just got my main guy in CO to 17 last night. As soon as I start getting too bored with an area I seem to move on to the next, and I like that.

If you want to hold off until they get more content, I totally understand. It just makes sense. MMOs aren't that great until at least a year into them anyhow. Hopefully they will see what was popular in CoH and what wasn't, and will work with that. Like, for example, get a mission editor sooner rather than later. Fix a lot of bugs. More costume pieces and power sets. Eventually increase the level cap. Add a ton of content.  They are working on a space area right now, I hear.

So that's my advice. Probably wait a bit to get it. Hopefully it will still survive.