News:

Rings of Reznor!

Main Menu

Power Discussion

Started by UnfluffyBunny, September 10, 2009, 09:00:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

UnfluffyBunny

what powersets have you guys tried out? which ones did you like? which didnt you like? which ones would you like help understanding?

currently i've played with:
pure force
pure fire
pure ice
dark / supernatural / gadgets
pure dual blade
telepethy / telekenisis
pure might

i've dipped into electric, gadgets and supernatural a fair bit

i'd like to progress might a bit more but even a str/con might character seems to hit weaker and survive shorter than a str/dex dual blade >_>
I really want a power armor toon but I find it hard to get into
I tried arcane but hit level 6 and died so much I deleted

current favourite powersets include dual blade, telepathy/telekenisis, ice and gadgets tho I haven built a focused gadgeteer yet

I also really like melee combat >_> (3/4 i just mentioned have awesome melee range attacks)

Reepicheep

GhostMachine

Well, I don't have the game yet, but I've been playing around with the character builder some and I wonder about a few things:

Does taking an energy building power that's different from most of the powers in your build cause any problems? I've built a character who has mostly Supernatural and Martial Arts powers, but gave him the Gunslinger power, and the only other Munitions power I plan on giving him is Two Gun Mojo.

Are Acrobatics and Superspeed any good as travel powers?

For the Supernatural powerset are their any replacers that change the chains so they look like something else? The chain seems too close to Ghost Rider or Spawn for me.

Xenolith

I can only speak to the travel powers in this case, but I found no use for Acrobatics, but I've read post and in-game comments from folks who love it because it fits their character concept.  If that is your approach, then Acrobatics are fine.  As a travel power, well, there are better options.

GhostMachine

Quote from: Xenolith on September 10, 2009, 10:31:19 PM
I can only speak to the travel powers in this case, but I found no use for Acrobatics, but I've read post and in-game comments from folks who love it because it fits their character concept.  If that is your approach, then Acrobatics are fine.  As a travel power, well, there are better options.

So basically its a take at 35 if you take it at all power, then?

Alaric

Quote from: GhostMachine on September 10, 2009, 11:00:22 PM
Quote from: Xenolith on September 10, 2009, 10:31:19 PM

So basically its a take at 35 if you take it at all power, then?

I disagree strongly- Acrobatics is a lot of fun, and a quite viable travel power. You do have to be creative with it at times, but it's fun.
Fear the "A"!!!

UnfluffyBunny

acrobatics is perfectly fine aslong as you can handle your aggro well, you pretty much get the choice of aggro alot of mobs vs take the long way around, which almost defeats the point of having a travel power.
that being said, i've used acrobatics on an ego blades build and a dual blades build, with relevant more success with the dual blades, but that's mostly because of the inherant defense ability and inate aoe cone nature of just about every melee attack

Randomsense

Really the only things you need to be aware of when picking a different energy builder are these...

1) When counting powers for tier access your power builder counts for its own framework but does not count for the "from any framework".

2) Are there any advantages or synergies you might like to have based on the power? You can only have 1 energy builder power (not counting the alternate energy generating powers like Molecular Self-Assembly).

Since launch I've pretty much focused on playing one character. Its a combination of Force, Power Armor, Electricity, Gadgets, & Supernatural (Regen only).
Vector (Gravity/Kinetics) - Freedom
Howitzer Howard (Blaster) - AFBL: Skyway City Towers
Althea Haven (Illusion/Force Field) - Freedom (The New Assembly)

GhostMachine

Quote from: Randomsense on September 11, 2009, 12:54:32 AM
Really the only things you need to be aware of when picking a different energy builder are these...

1) When counting powers for tier access your power builder counts for its own framework but does not count for the "from any framework".

2) Are there any advantages or synergies you might like to have based on the power? You can only have 1 energy builder power (not counting the alternate energy generating powers like Molecular Self-Assembly).

Since launch I've pretty much focused on playing one character. Its a combination of Force, Power Armor, Electricity, Gadgets, & Supernatural (Regen only).

That's funny, because the closest thing I could do my original character concept for GhostMachine would require a combination of Electricity, Power Armor, Gadgets, Munitions (Frag Grenade) and one of the hand-to-hand combat frameworks (for Sneak and Lightning Reflexes).

I'm considering doing GhostMachine as a pulp-type character instead, and just using Gadgets, Munitions and Martial Arts.

Randomsense

The nice thing about the game is that you do have the freedom to spread things around. For reference here is a link to the character I mentioned:

http://www.champions-online.com/character_profiles/73267/view

The site is still a bit wonky but it gives you an idea.

There are a few of the Gadget powers that it would be nice if their descriptions/stats were a bit clearer. I've also noticed some of them seem to be a little iffy.

detourne_me

I'm still not sure about acrobatics... I haven't mastered the gameplay yet,  so my acrobatics is really twitchy.  I get stuck sometimes. The only thing i really love about it is doing back handsprings instead of running backward.

My builds:
telepathy/martial arts w/ acrobatics
gadgeteer/munitions w/ hoverboard
supernatural/might (with arms focus) w/line swinging - he's my gorilla tank.
martial arts w/ rocket jump

I really need to get a hard copy manual i think... i'm totally bypassing all of the tutorials, so i'm not sure how to optimize my characters... but my monkey genius already has mastered arms crafting.

GhostMachine

They probably should have made acrobatics into something more like parkour if they wanted it to be a travel power. Especially since you do see heroes moving across cityscapes like that in some movies and comics.

UnfluffyBunny

acrobatics has a great feel to it, the ability to interact with vertical surfaces would be pretty cool tho, but then they'd have to do something simular with superspeed, and neither of those 2 sets are built with long falls in mind @_@.

my lastest alt is using swinging, gotto say it's great for positioning yourself mid fight (no negative during combat) it also acts as an enhanced jump, and with the "flipping" attribute it makes a good getaway power, combined with smoke grenade you can pretty much guarantee surving any escape attempt.
I can see a few powers that'll sync with it pretty nice in my character concept, curently mastering the method of letting go of the rope, taking a ranged shot, then firing another rope before i either splat into the floor or land somewhere i'm likely to get ganked.

Xenolith

I like swinging a lot.  The only problem is my thumb gets sore after a while and then I can't hold down the space bar on my keyboard, which send my hero plummeting to his to the ground.

My absolute favorite travel power is rocket boots.  It has really cool effects and provides a nice, stable platform for ranged attacks.

I haven't tried a custom framework character yet, but that sounds pretty fun.

One thing I've been fllip-flopping on is wether to take powers that do KB.  I always thought it was a pain in CoX, but I sort of like them in CO and I'm not sure I understand why.

UnfluffyBunny

kb good for ranged, not so good for melee

Carravaggio

Are there any visual power swaps to turn any of the ropbot pets into zombies or spirits, or just about anything arcane? I'd like my voodoo mystic to access some summoning powers using gageting, but only is it fits visually.

I'm using Might mostly atm, love smacking things around the map, and some of the attacks are really dynamic. I dipped my toe into power armour to get eye beams to complete the flying tank with heat vision I make in every game I can.
Anyone know if frost breath exists?

Randomsense

IIRC there is a cold breath/cone type attack but I haven't really looked at it.

I haven't seen a power replace to change the bots into something else though I remember in closed beta they were a power that listed as replaceable. The power replace functionality I think may have changed since then though.

There is  a Gadget power (Resurrection Serum) that allows you to rez your allies and if you take the advantage you can use it to get zombies instead. Haven't used it so can't comment on how well it functions though.

UnfluffyBunny

ice breath is a nice cone damage which has a chance to freeze your opponents, but drains energy pretty quick (around 2-3 seconds at level 10)
(it has an advantage which makes it 100% chance to freeze your opponents)

on the ressurections, look at the one from supernatural (rebirth) the advantage will summon 2 zombies whenever you rez yourself

Carravaggio