News:

Rings of Reznor!

Main Menu

Legion Mod

Started by John Jr., September 10, 2009, 12:49:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

John Jr.

No bother at all, Kombatkid. Try to extract the mod on the desktop, like you said and after that copy the "Legion" folder to your  :ffvstr: directory.

KombatKid

Ok, I extract the files to my desktop. Then I extract them to, yet again, C:\Program Files\Irrational Game\Freedom Force vs The Third Reich\ and it gives the same list of errors. I try it with the E drive and get the same thing. Sooooooo I'm officially out of ideas. I guess I should just stay content with the Teen Titans mod for  :ff: (which is the only mod I've ever been able to play)

Previsionary

The only thing I can think of at the moment that could prevent you from installing into that folder is either A) that's not the correct location, B) you don't have full permission to modify that location or it's locked off, or C) there's something up with your download or the game locale.

When you get the errors, just take a screenshot of it before you close the dialog box. You can do this by hitting CTRL + PRTSCR and then "pasting" the picture into MS-Paint and saving. You'll then need to upload the pic to a site like Photobucket and link to it here.

A few more question, have you been able to install ANY mod to that location? In fact, can you move anything into or out of your FFvTTR game folder at all? Where did you install the Teen Titans mod (for FF1)?This could help us to narrow down the list of problems.
Disappear when you least expe--

KombatKid

Quote from: Previsionary on November 16, 2009, 12:46:59 AM
The only thing I can think of at the moment that could prevent you from installing into that folder is either A) that's not the correct location, B) you don't have full permission to modify that location or it's locked off, or C) there's something up with your download or the game locale.

When you get the errors, just take a screenshot of it before you close the dialog box. You can do this by hitting CTRL + PRTSCR and then "pasting" the picture into MS-Paint and saving. You'll then need to upload the pic to a site like Photobucket and link to it here.

A few more question, have you been able to install ANY mod to that location? In fact, can you move anything into or out of your FFvTTR game folder at all? Where did you install the Teen Titans mod (for FF1)?This could help us to narrow down the list of problems.

I haven't been able to install any mod by saving it then extracting it to that location. Here's where I downloaded the TT mod: http://www.fxforce.com/TTMOD/index.htm

Tazirai

good job on this legion mod.
One of my favorite groups ever.

John Jr.

Thanks! I'm glad you liked it.
I'm finishing the second part, with 4 more missions and a lot of new Legionnaires. It should be available in February.

Cry Havoc

Very cool mod, I'm curious though, aren't Bizarro's powers supposed to be the opposite of Supes'? I see he has Heat Vision, and Freeze breath instead of Freeze Vision and Heat Breath respectively.   ;)

John Jr.

I'm glad you liked!
The Mod uses the 70's versions of the characters, when Bizarro had the same powers as Superman.

Cry Havoc

Oh yes I forgot he developed those backward powers later on.  :doh:

John Jr.

Final version is available, at last:
http://www.frp.unlimited2.net/mods/JohnJr/Legion.rar

I want to apologize for taking so long, but I had to deal with a lot of "real life" problems and had less free time than I expected. Anyway, the mod has 8 missions now, more Legionnaires, custom voice packs and maps.
I tried to fix every issue/bug that was pointed in this topic. In fact, I changed so many things I wasn't able to do a patch and I will have to ask who downloaded the first version to replace it with the complete version, sorry.

Changed/Added:
-Changed the TGA files to DDS
-Fixed most of the "ghosting meshes" problems
-Added custom voice packs
-Added new Legionnaires, available as of Mission 2.
-Added 4 new missions, with the Fatal Five as main villains
-I made a lot of technical fixes, as suggested by Previsionary and other partners.

I wanted to give a big, public "Thank You!" to some talented guys who helped me to complete this mod:
-Tommyboy, his Legion mod was an inspiration and a endless source of meshes & skins,
-Laughing Paradox, who made a ton of perfect Legionnaires skopes & skins and was kind enough to let me use them,
-cmdrkoenig67,Glitch Girl, and Zetor for letting me to use their great voice packs,
-Afghan Ant, who made the skope for the Therians Golden guards for Mission 7,
-Prev, for technical tips and for hosting the Mod.
-And all the talented creators who gave me permission to use their works.

I really hope you like the mod. So, enough talk and let's punch some Khunds!  :D

tommyboy

OK, I finally got to play this today, and it's good. Very good. Thank you.
If I may go into detail:
Overall; a very enjoyable Mod for an LSH fan.

Story; works really well. Familiar, but not too familiar. Recognizably the LSH universe. I actually wanted to see what was next. A couple of typos or misspellings ("robbed" instead of "robed", and "Zoom" instead of "Zoon" are the only ones I recall at the moment), but nothing to stop me enjoying it. Some nice touches like referencing Shooter and Swan as character/place names show a love for the Legion. The dialogue and characterization were very good, everyone sounded as they should, with some nice comic touches in places. And it "felt" like an LSH story, with the LSH and foes.

Art; again, very nice. A few of my meshes and skins look a bit rough and ready, and my broken female heads are something I really should have fixed, but those are my "faults" not yours. All the Vertex meshes and various skins by others look great. The maps used are really good too, with an actual feeling of being on different worlds with different cultures, so good choices with those.

Characters/Powers; a good variety of legionaires without bogging the player down with too many choices. Enough for replay value without the "not enough time in the world to try em all out" feeling some mods *cough mine cough* have. And the powers of each character were very satisfying too. A nice variety of powers, good FFX choices and overall they "felt" like they should, to me.

Sounds/Music; another satisfying experience. Short of having custom made LSH voicepacks, your choices were spot on. The music was enjoyable without ever distracting or taking me "out of" the experience.

Presentation; this is the one area where the mod fell short for me. I like to see new custom main screens, loading screens, mission screens etc. It all adds to the mood of a Mod for me. It's by no means Essential, and certainly cannot save a mod which plays poorly *cough mine cough*, so I don't think that your Mod "needs" it. But it certainly would not hurt. You can't beat some classic covers or artwork dotted around, in my opinion.

So for me. this Mod gets a big Thumbs Up, 9/10. A very capable, impressive outing which takes the player on a journey and leaves them satisfied at the end (but obviously wanting more).

Again Thank You. I know how much work it takes, and how hard it is to get an experience the player enjoys, a story which works, and to stay "true" to the comics which so often inspire us.

BentonGrey

Alright!  I can't wait to play this JJ!  I'll make sure to download it and give it a spin when I have time this weekend. :D
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman
Check out mymods and blog!
https://bentongrey.wordpress.com/

John Jr.

Wow, thanks, Tom.
I don't know what to say, except I'm glad you liked it so much. Your post saved my ruined day (very bad day at regular job...). I have to disagree about your creations, they're great, specially your talking heads, I'll be sure to annoy you asking to use them in my future mods.
I don't know how to change the original screens, but I'll try learn it.
Benton,
I'll look forward your thoughts about my mod, pal!

BentonGrey

Quote from: John Jr. on February 04, 2010, 01:13:57 AM
Wow, thanks, Tom.
I don't know what to say, except I'm glad you liked it so much. Your post saved my ruined day (very bad day at regular job...). I have to disagree about your creations, they're great, specially your talking heads, I'll be sure to annoy you asking to use them in my future mods.
Benton,

You can find all that stuff here:
http://freedomreborn.net/forums/index.php?topic=52209.0

If you have any questions man, feel free to ask.
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman

BentonGrey

Okay, I've got testers.  Thanks!
God Bless

John Jr.

Quote from: BentonGrey on February 04, 2010, 05:49:40 AM
Quote from: John Jr. on February 04, 2010, 01:13:57 AM
Wow, thanks, Tom.
Benton,

You can find all that stuff here:
http://freedomreborn.net/forums/index.php?topic=52209.0

If you have any questions man, feel free to ask.

Thanks, pal!
I'll check it out!

bengal

I've tried a couple times to download the mod and both times have had something odd happen.  It loads the mod, but then when it gets to where the first mission should be, the whole screen is black.  If I push ESC, the menu comes up as it should, so it's nothing directly related to FFvTR itself, so anyone have any ideas what's going on so I can fix it and hopefully play?

John Jr.

Please, post your FF and Script files, so maybe we can see what's wrong.

bengal

Thank you for a quick reply!  I'm a little embarrassed to admit, but it looks like the error was on my part, I'd copied a shortcut to make one for Legion, and never knew the "-log" was so important.  I put that back in and it worked fine. :doh:  Also, I've only thus far played the Superboy mission, and it's very well done!

John Jr.

Np. Truthfully it was my mistake, since I forgot to include a shortcut.
I'm glad you liked Superboy's Mission. Hope you like the rest. Please let me know what you think of it.

John Jr.

Hi guys,
I followed Tommyboy's advice and finally got some custom screens for my Legion Mod (main, load and loading screens).
Thanks to Tommyboy for the idea, Benton Grey and cmdrkoenig67 for teaching me how to do it and to Prev for hosting it.
You can find it here:
http://frp.unlimited2.net/lsh-title-screen/
Just unzip and paste it in your Freedom Force vs The 3rd Reich\Legion\Art\library folder.
Hope you like it, guys!

tommyboy

Excellent. I haven't had time to play through again, but the screens I've seen running the mod and going into the menus look great. An improvement to an already enjoyable Mod. Thanks.

electro

Just finished the legion Mod last night - I love it - I used Tyroc for most of my missions because he's cool (even thow he kinda sucks in the game) - I ussually had to restart a mission 3 or 4 times till I could beat it which is a good thing because I hate cakewalks - Good work Jr. :blink:

John Jr.

I'm glad you liked the Mod, Electro, but I'm sorry Tyroc didn't worked for you. I tried make all Legionnaires balanced power wise. I'll try make it better next time.

electro

He worked he's just a little weak on damage & maybe could use a Vertigo type scream - I'm going to replay it again soon so I can use a couple other characters I didn't get to the first go round - Looking forward to your other mods :blink:

earl of bronze

I just started playing the second part of this mod today:

Spoiler
I just finished the Emerald Empress mission and I must say two things.

I really liked he dialog and I loved what you did with Superboy's magic weakness. Unlike Geoff John's(with Super crybaby Prime) you remembered PC Kryptonians had one and the black magic knights were surprisingly effective foes. A very enjoyable mission although I did like the previous one as well. I hope to finish this up this weekend while dling the DC mod.

earl of bronze

Finished it and loved it!

Spoiler
The last two missions were excellent. Love what you did with Validus, it took a lot to put him down.

John Jr.

Thanks, earl!
I tested the missions several times to get the power sets and difficult level right, I'm very glad you liked it.

BentonGrey

So JJ, I've been carving out little bits of time here and there to play this mod, and I finally finished it today!  I have really enjoyed this experience, and I have to say that you've created a really fantastic mod.  The Legion are one of the few areas of the DCU that I'm not terribly familiar with.  I've read some of the early archives and one TPB of one of the reboots, but I'm far from what you'd call an expert.  I've never been a huge fan of them, but like many DC concepts and characters, I like the idea of the Legion, even if the stories that I read never really captured me.  So, I really enjoyed the chance to play with these characters that you obviously love, and, as Tommy said, that love and knowledge of them really shined through in some impressive ways.  I really felt like I was playing a Legion game, with everything from the characters to the "planets" really working to put me in their universe.  Let me give you a bit of categorized feedback like Tommy did.

Characters:  I absolutely loved your balance and builds for the most part.  I've never played with the Legion where I felt like everyone was useful, but in this mod, I almost never had a character go unutilized or feel like they didn't really deserve to be alongside the others.  You did a great job of making Superboy and his ilk powerful, while still making the other characters in your team absolutely vital.  I was especially impressed with Karate Kid.  He was a blast to play with, and I took him every chance I had.  I loved that he did so much damage, but he was way more fragile than, say, Superboy.  There were a few exceptions, though.  I really didn't find Saturn Girl terribly useful in her early mission, and because of that I never used her again.  I feel like it might help if she had a few more offensive psy powers.  On the same note, Dawnstar felt REALLY outclassed in the final mission.  She did almost no damage, was very fragile, and I lost her in the opening moments of the fight with the Five.  All my other Legionaires were much more capable.  I don't know anything about the character, so perhaps I'm not sure if anything could be done about that.  Other than those two, though, everyone was really fun to play with.  I think that most characters could use another power or two, but it is hardly necessary, since everything works pretty well as is.

Art:  You did a fantastic job of bringing the Legion to life, and I rather thought that some of Tommy's meshes stole the show.  I particularly loved Karate Kid and his animations.  He just looked awesome.  I also loved the version of Brainy included in this mod.  I hadn't seen him before, and he looked fairly awesome.  Your maps were also really well chosen, and I was especially impressed with the "space cruiser" for the final mission.  Nice work!

Story: I was totally hooked.  Like Tommy said, I wanted to see what happened next.  You really told a story that completely fit into the universe of these characters, and even with my limited knowledge of the Legion, I noticed a hundred and one little touches that were really cool.  Also, this sucker was pretty impressive in scope, JJ.  I kept thinking that I HAD to be on the last mission, but the adventure continued!

Presentation:  I liked that everyone had all the right string entries and things, but I would have liked to be able to check out the Legionaires' bios.  That's a fairly minor complaint though.

All in all, this was a great mod, my friend.  Now quit it, you're making me look bad! :D
God Bless

John Jr.

Thanks a lot, pal! I'm very glad you liked my Mod, after all I learned a lot from you about EZScript.
Saturn Girl have no "offensive" powers in the classic version, she always used telepathy and Hypnosis as her main weapons. Her mind control is her main power in the mod, very useful against powerful and dumb opponents. I agree about Dawnstar, she could be better and I'll try fix her in my next Legion Mod.
I'm a fan of Tommyboy's Karate Kid too, his great animations are the main reason I gave so much screen time for old KK (besides he's fun to write).

Quote from: BentonGrey on April 08, 2010, 05:07:22 PM
All in all, this was a great mod, my friend.  Now quit it, you're making me look bad! :D
Don't worry, I'm light years behind you in the modding business, pal ;)