News:

Rings of Reznor!

Main Menu

Freedom Force on Steam

Started by AfghanAnt, September 08, 2009, 06:41:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AfghanAnt

Question: I'm about to buy :ff: does it work with Vista because my old copy does not and I'm trying to make skopes for  :ff:.

Nymie_the_Pooh

I can't say specifically about if it will work in Vista or not, but I know it works in Windows 7 64 bit RC 7100.  The store page states that you need either XP or Vista to run it.  On the forums it looks like a few people have to adjust some settings due to something with the audio in Vista which caused the game to mess up on some in game videos.  It seems like the fix is to either disable sound, mess with settings, or use software emulation for the few that had that issue.  In fact, most everything I see on their forums where someone had trouble getting the game to work correctly on Vista gets traced back to sound in some shape or form so if you get it and do have problems that would probably be the first place to look.  I would normally suggest getting the demo and trying that first, but the demos are unfortunately based on older versions of the game and are known not to work in Vista.  They never got the work done for them that the games did to get them to work in Vista.

stumpy

According to the Steam page on Freedom Force, it specifically says that it works on Windows XP and Vista. I would assume that it does since the Steam version is patched to version 1.3. And, I am pretty sure that some of the earlier posts when the Steam release came out indicated it was being played on Vista.

At the very least, if the Steam version doesn't work, you should be able to get a refund, since their own specs say that it does (assuming your system meets the other requirements, which is pretty easy to do nowadays).

BTW, I thought some people got the CD version to run under Vista, with the patch, of course.
Courage is knowing it might hurt, and doing it anyway. Stupidity is the same. And that's why life is hard. - Jeremy Goldberg

Podmark

Quote from: stumpy on September 08, 2009, 10:31:19 PM
BTW, I thought some people got the CD version to run under Vista, with the patch, of course.

I'm pretty sure I did. I can't remember how though. Something to do with compatibility settings I think.
Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page

coollrs

Hi All,
  I joined this forum because of this post :).  I just bought the games on Steam this past weekend, they are great btw, I have played them both on my Vista computer, and on my Windows 7 computer and haven't had any issues.  Hopefully the same will happen for you.

Epimethee

Thanks for the report, Coollrs. :) And welcome to FR!
FFX add-on for FFvsTTR at ffx.freedomforceforever.com

MIC_Rulz

If we load up the original CDs can we play with the people that bought the Steam version or are they very different? I've been searching through these forums to no avail.
Long time player. I remember when it first came out!

Tomato

Quote from: MIC_Rulz on October 29, 2009, 01:17:51 AM
If we load up the original CDs can we play with the people that bought the Steam version or are they very different? I've been searching through these forums to no avail.

I'm not really an expert on this, but I find it unlikely. Non-steam FF uses an entirely different network (EA I believe) so I doubt one will run on another... but then, the steam version might connect to the old servers so *shrug*

it's kind of a moot point anyway though... unless you have someone in mind, it's unlikely that you'll find very many people who even use the multiplayer.

detourne_me

Actually,  The Steam multiplayer doesn't use the Steam network at all.  We found the only way to play multiplayer was using Hamachi.  There are a few Hamachi networks set up, but barely anyone played.
Check out more info here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/freedomreborn

Epimethee

This weekend, FF and FFvsTTR bundle for $2?
FFX add-on for FFvsTTR at ffx.freedomforceforever.com

MIC_Rulz

I've managed to play with Hamachi and it works very well. I try to be online for a bit each night. If anyone wants to play some  :ff: feel free to send a request through Hamachi, Steam friends, or even a PM from this. I love to play.
I'll be glad to host or join for any point values.
Long time player. I remember when it first came out!

lugaru

MY CD's where starting to look really messed up so I picked up both games on STEAM. Now I can count on having them so long as valve stays in buisness.