Characters, Characters, Characters!

Started by BentonGrey, September 07, 2009, 11:49:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BentonGrey

Howdy guys, post your creations and characters here.  I'm currently playing with The Rogue and Ulysses, with occasional forays as Man 'O War.  However, I've also created a few other characters for fun, while finding still others to be nearly impossible to accurately represent.

The Rogue:
(Finally happy with his design, thanks to Unko for the help)

(rough draft of his FS uniform)

Ulysses:

I'd like feedback on his design, since I'm not entirely sure about it.

Grey Rider:

My attempt at a ghostly Confederate hero.  I'm not really happy with him.

Mentor:

Man 'O War:

My failed attempt at Microwave:

I'd love to see if someone could do a better job than I could.

Aquaman:

Of course.  Did I take longer than you expected to do this?
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman
Check out mymods and blog!
https://bentongrey.wordpress.com/

BentonGrey

And my newest hero, Mermidon, after the Myrmidons, legendary Greek warriors:

He's the aquatic character I've been trying to make since I got the game, but I just wasn't able to come up with what I wanted.  I finally looked up some old comics that had some of Jack Kirby's Atlantians in them, and that gave me what I needed to get the creative juices flowing.
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman

detourne_me

Sweet characters BG!
Love the Mermidion and The Rogue turned out spectacularly.

I'm going to be making detourne_me into a character but i'm wondering just what i should do with her...  Thinking about using the sketch Dr. Mike did as a basis for the costume.
Although Caravaggio's original skin for my Av fits in quite well with the FS super group style :)

Could you guys help me out with building the character though?
I did a custom framework for Timejump Tesla, and i've been getting wiped out pretty easily, especially in the PVP.

Should I pick a prebuilt mentalist, or mix mentalist and martial artist skill sets? I'm not too sure about levelling up easily with mixed sets.

Alaric

Quote from: detourne_me on September 08, 2009, 06:17:29 AM
Sweet characters BG!
Love the Mermidion and The Rogue turned out spectacularly.

I'm going to be making detourne_me into a character but i'm wondering just what i should do with her...  Thinking about using the sketch Dr. Mike did as a basis for the costume.
Although Caravaggio's original skin for my Av fits in quite well with the FS super group style :)

Could you guys help me out with building the character though?
I did a custom framework for Timejump Tesla, and i've been getting wiped out pretty easily, especially in the PVP.

Should I pick a prebuilt mentalist, or mix mentalist and martial artist skill sets? I'm not too sure about levelling up easily with mixed sets.

I haven't been having any trouble leveling up with custom frameworks- but, then, I haven't been doing any PvP. My Supernatural-Sorcery-Dark hybrid, at level 11, just soloed SiniSister- had an easier time defeating Talisman than my pure Gadgeteer did at 12th level... It'll help if/when they bring back the Innate Talents that were intended for Custom Framework characters, which they removed during Open Beta due to issues involving respecs.
Fear the "A"!!!

BentonGrey

Thanks DM!  I'm afraid I don't have enough experience with the different character types to be of much help yet.  I have found my custom might/electrical MoW to be easier than my straight up archer, Ulysses.  I haven't done ANY PvP yet, though.  I do really wish they would let us assign points wherever we want in our stats.  I don't like having to choose "Hero" when all I really want is my points split evenly between strength, constitution, endurance, and recovery.
God Bless

Alaric

Quote from: BentonGrey on September 08, 2009, 01:24:20 PM
Thanks DM!  I'm afraid I don't have enough experience with the different character types to be of much help yet.  I have found my custom might/electrical MoW to be easier than my straight up archer, Ulysses.  I haven't done ANY PvP yet, though.  I do really wish they would let us assign points wherever we want in our stats.  I don't like having to choose "Hero" when all I really want is my points split evenly between strength, constitution, endurance, and recovery.

That's what I was talking about. Originally, while they didn't allow complete stat customization, they had a bunch of less specialized stat arrangements, other than Hero, with four high stats and four low stats each. When they added the ability to respec your starting stats, for some reason they couldn't use those starting stat arrangements, so they removed them. I'm hoping they'll add them back, sooner rather than later.
Fear the "A"!!!

BentonGrey

Ohh, I see.  Yeah, they really need to add them back, because it pretty much hamstrings you if you want to mix ranged powers and might.
God Bless

UnkoMan

Yes, those were quite useful. And I thought it was appropriate to have those if you didn't pick a custom framework, and have the more specialized if you did.

Anyhow, here's my characters (for now)

Unko Man, of course:

The Corpse, who some of you may know:

Nom de Guerre:

Robot Johnson, whom I saw in a dream many years ago:

Danger, updated from my old webcomic:

Agent 23:

And finally, my version of Tombstone:

This could be why my highest character is 11. Heck, I've even deleted and rerolled some a couple times. Who knows how long these will all last. Thanks gosh I got sixteen character slots.

Sea-Lad is no longer with me until I have a choice to make a knife fighter right from the start.

BentonGrey

Some nice designs, Unko!  I've always liked the classic simplicity of your avatar's design.  He looks very superheroic.  I'm not so crazy about the Corpse, though.  He's a bit too pink and garish.  Other than his colors, though, he looks pretty cool, kind of like an undead Creeper.  I LOVE Nom de Guerre.  I already told you that was a great name, but you've also got a really nice design there.  It isn't overly tech-y, but there are enough tech elements to make it a bit interesting.  Very nice color scheme too.  I'm a sucker for the pulp-ish robot in a trenchcoat thing.  Ha, so I like Robert Johnson.  Danger, now Danger is a bit of an odd duck.  I like the basic design you've got, but I think it may be a bit too busy, what with the spines and such.  I like the more streamlined look from your webcomic better.  Of course, I've already told you how awesome your Tombstone is.  That's the best of the FF characters I've seen.
God Bless

UnkoMan

There's just so many things you can add to a character, I feel bad for doing streamlined designs. Almost as if I am doing the creator a disservice. Thus the added canisters on the gloves of Unko, and the junk on Danger. I actually dig the shoulder spikes on him, but admit the other stuff is overboard. It still fits his character really well though. Going overboard and trying to be too flashy is totally him. Same with the Corpse, especially since his costume came from a bohemian theatre company. And yes, he was totally based on the Creeper and Deadman.

Nom is totally based on tokusatsu stuff, so look it up if you don't know it. You might like some of their crazy designs. And I would love to get a team of them together.

Blkcasanova247

And here's a few of mine....

Currently playing.

started and haven't done to much with yet...

I can't help it that I look so good baby! I'm just a love machine!

detourne_me

Ohh.... i can't wait till i get home tonight to make some characters.
I am definitely going to make a Kid Icarus now (archer with wings)
I want to do a few mainstream characters to see if i can.
and i need to design my av.

Really like the guy with rivets Cas.
and Unko,   kick butt designs all around.  You're avatar came though well.
I'd like to see how the Corpse looks standing up.  I tried to make a rockabilly zombie for a few minutes last night, but had to go out for dinner.

UnfluffyBunny

Kallik
Spoiler

Frostfall
Spoiler

Firefall
Spoiler

Britannic
Spoiler

Synthos
Spoiler

detourne_me

detourne_me
Spoiler

Timejump Tesla
Spoiler

Lord Congo
Spoiler

Katydid - Inspired by Unko's Sentai, AA's Grace Hopper, and my original CoH character
Spoiler

BlueBard

Wow!  I'm really impressed with how detourne_me came out!  I didn't know you could do asymmetrical costumes in CO and it's really wild how close you were able to get to your avatar design.
STO/CO: @bluegeek

BentonGrey

Some great characters here, guys!  UB, I've already told you that I liked Britanniac, but I also really like Firefall.  He's pretty cool.  He's got a rather crazy look that works with being a fire wielder.

DM, good work on your avatar.  That's definitely a nice job on the asymetrical gloves and boots.  I really like Tesla though.  It's a real shame they don't have better options for jackets, though.  He'd look even better if he had a 3D coat.  Lord Congo is cool too...but then, who doesn't like a superheroic monkey!

I've got another one for y'all.  Guess who!

(I may need to darken the blue of his uniform some.)
God Bless

UnkoMan

I dig a ton of these guys. I like that Britannic is your take on a classic super hero, Syn. He's got bright colours and a mostly classic design but the face mask still says dark. Syn himself is cool as heck.

I really like your ancient warrior types, Cas, though I think you ought to play with the face settings more. The winged guy and special ops suit guy look pretty much the same. (They also have the same haircut, but there aren't many good options.) Anyhow, they are cool. I wonder how Black Cassanova will turn out.

Also... C6, if you see this, feel free to roll yourself a Tombstone. I won't be using mine I have decided. I've already got a dark character and found a hilarious old character of mine to use for a munitions guy. I just don't really want to play Tombstone. Sorry, Bent. I might make another FF guy, actually. I'll keep that a secret though.

Oh, and my new guy? He's from a weird old comic experiment I used to take part in. Comicollage.

He's a Quebecois midget with a penchant for extreme violence and sexy times. It's an incredibly simple costume, but the real life is given from the body structure. I just wish I could make the nose bigger and the stomach fatter. Still, it's a fairly decent interpretation, within the game's design.

electro

My Comic Characters :blink:

Massive Punch
Spoiler

SideKicker
Spoiler

Staples
Spoiler

Sorb
Spoiler

Tribute Toons :wacko:

Armadillo
Spoiler

Psycho Hero       (aka  Badger)
Spoiler

Air-Force           (aka   Sky King)
Spoiler

Xenolith

I played a armored suit guy in closed beta, and a munitioins guy in open beta, and since they both were wiped out I've been reluctant to build them again.  They were both around level 20-25.  I think maybe I should do it again.  I'm actually sort of sad they went away.

Courtnall6

Here are my "all original" characters :P

Deadbang - Munitions
Regular, Arctic, and Night Ops gear. I'm still designing the Night Ops gear...I might switch it to Desert gear instead...
Spoiler

Red Sovereign (AKA Peoples Protector from COH) - Might
Champions and COH costumes
Spoiler

Hardpoint (Hawkeye meets Bullesye meets Green Arrow meets Green Goblin) - Archery/Munitions
Regular and a new one I've been designing...
Spoiler

Nighthood (Moon Knight meets Batman) - Martial Arts Unarmed
Spoiler

Yeti (Sasquatch... :P) - Might/Supernatural
Spoiler

Spartanic - Might
Spoiler

Northguard (Guardian meets Iceman) - Ice
Spoiler

Skybolt (Flash meets Electro?) - Electric speedster
Spoiler

Clothes make the man and colourful tights make the Super-Hero.

BentonGrey

Wow, C6, you've got some really nice looks there.  I really love the different costumes for Deadbang...I always thought it was cool when Bats had his special arctic gear, or what have you.  Now I want to make alternate versions of some of my costumes....

Red Sovereign is cool, but I definitely like the CO costume best.

I've already told you how much I like Hardpoint.  He looks pretty awesome, like a secret agent with superheroic elements rather than a straight up superhero.  Would this second costume be the Golden Age version? ;)

I LOVE that Nighthood.  I've been trying and failing to design a traditional looking superhero, cape and tights with a Batman?Red Robin vibe...but I haven't been able to come up with anything that looks original enough.  You've manage to hit a really solid design with this guy, though.  Really nice color scheme and choice of patterns.  I'm jealous!

Spartanic is just plain awesome.  I love that guy's look, classic with elements that make him unique like the helmet and gloves/boots.

I've been trying to design a winged character that wasn't just a straight rip-off of either Hawkman or Angel, but I think I've finally hit something decent today.  I'd love some critiques, if anyone cares to share their opinions.  I give you, Air Ace:
SEE BELOW
I tried to give him a classic superhero, tights kind of look, while bringing in Pulp elements.  He's a gadgeteer, and I'm trying to think of a twist to give him as he progresses.

God Bless

UnfluffyBunny

Yeti is awesome, it's tempting to steal the design for a wendigo, lol

Courtnall6

Air Ace looks really cool benton. I think you nailed what you were going for. :cool:

Quote from: UnfluffyBunny on September 12, 2009, 08:57:35 PM
Yeti is awesome, it's tempting to steal the design for a wendigo, lol

rip off of a rip off :P

UnfluffyBunny

indeed, and if I hadnt had failed many times at working out a half decent might build I would have probably done it already :P

BentonGrey

I revamped Air Ace, and I'm a LOT happier with him:

Plus, check out the working versions of my heroes' super group costumes:

Thanks to Court for the suggestions of the white gloves and boots for The Rogue.
God Bless

electro

They all look pretty good but, Unfluffy's Firefall is an amazing costume & color scheme :blink:

Blkcasanova247

Nice ones there Benton. Love those characters Court :thumbup:...especially that guy "Hardpoint"...the second design looks strangely familliar. :rolleyes: :P
I can't help it that I look so good baby! I'm just a love machine!

UnfluffyBunny

will update firefall to show his second "hazard suit" costume ^_^

servers currently not logging in so I cant get a pic of my other new toon "nightrunner" either >_>

but here's the newest, Kth'Lar
Spoiler

Spoiler

he's currently my favourite character concept (backstory) and I will be posting more about him in efforts to get a themed SG up and running soon :)

DrMike2000

That asymmetrical design for Detourne is great! Why cant CoH do that, moan moan.. :)

King Zero is looking excellent there, and I love that Flash Gordon Hawkman guy with the quizzical expression by BlkCasanova. With a hairy chest too! Hail Spartacus!

Looking at these pictures, I've got to say im impressed with the costume creator so far. May have to get this...
Stranger Than Fiction:
The Strangers, Tales of the Navigator and Freedom Force X
www.fundamentzero.com

Courtnall6

Some more costumes!

Deadbang Night Ops tweek
Spoiler

Spartanic in his Freedom Society unifrom (until one is decided upon that is)
Spoiler

Spartanic in a period style costume. I wanted something like Hercules and Ares.
I would have attached a dark red cape with gold greek pattern trim...but sadly we
can't add capes when you use a chest harnesses and the like. Hopefully they will fix that down the road.
Spoiler

Quote from: Blkcasanova247 on September 13, 2009, 07:52:59 PM
Nice ones there Benton. Love those characters Court :thumbup:...especially that guy "Hardpoint"...the second design looks strangely familliar. :rolleyes: :P

Heh yes I know. The character creator is great but still quite limited in certain areas.