GI Joe: Rise of Cobra Movie Super Bowl Clip Online

Started by Flying_Infant, February 01, 2009, 02:49:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr. Hamrick

No Benton, he is not talking about GI Joe Reloaded.  That was an entirely different origin than the original Marvel comics origin or the cartoon origin. 

BentonGrey

Quote from: Mr. Hamrick on August 17, 2009, 04:02:32 AM
No Benton, he is not talking about GI Joe Reloaded.  That was an entirely different origin than the original Marvel comics origin or the cartoon origin.  

Where from?  Action Force?
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman
Check out mymods and blog!
https://bentongrey.wordpress.com/

Mr. Hamrick

Quote from: BentonGrey on August 17, 2009, 06:00:35 PM
Quote from: Mr. Hamrick on August 17, 2009, 04:02:32 AM
No Benton, he is not talking about GI Joe Reloaded.  That was an entirely different origin than the original Marvel comics origin or the cartoon origin.  

Where from?  Action Force?

After the Marvel run on the series came the run done by the relatively independent press called "Devil's Due Publishing".  They were the same people who did the GI JOE RELOADED series but they started out doing just a basic reboot of the Marvel stuff. I have about a dozen or so of those issues (use to have a bunch of the Marvel but let's not go there) and all of the RELOADED titles save one.

The "official" Hasbro reboot of the character dated back to 2002.

There have been several versions of Cobra Commander's origin and some of those done by the same people.

BentonGrey

Quote from: Mr. Hamrick on August 17, 2009, 11:47:49 PM
After the Marvel run on the series came the run done by the relatively independent press called "Devil's Due Publishing".  They were the same people who did the GI JOE RELOADED series but they started out doing just a basic reboot of the Marvel stuff. I have about a dozen or so of those issues (use to have a bunch of the Marvel but let's not go there) and all of the RELOADED titles save one.

The "official" Hasbro reboot of the character dated back to 2002.

There have been several versions of Cobra Commander's origin and some of those done by the same people.

I have all of those issues, and there isn't any substantial difference in their telling in relation to the original (other than Reloaded).  They blend a few elements from the toon into the mix, but it is still holding onto the original continuity.  They didn't reboot, but instead picked up the thread "a few years" after the team was decommissioned at the end of the original series.  The entire bit with Destro's son was given that very context, with the JOEs rounding up retired or inactive members of the roster.  As far as Cobra Commander goes, I am only aware of the two origins.  Now, admittedly I only own about 2/3rds or 3/4ths of the original comics, but I don't recall ever reading any but the original origin recounted by Billy.
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman

Shogunn2517

So in which Cobra Commander orgin is he and the Baroness brother and sister?

Mr. Hamrick

I'm not saying that I agree with The Baroness and Cobra Commander being brother and sister. 

One of my few complaints with the movie (which I for the most part enjoyed) is that I felt like they tried to tie Cobra Commander into too many characters.

Personally, I much prefer the origin established in GI Joe Reloaded where he doesn't have history with any of the Joes or with the Cobra organization apart from bringing them together.

marhawkman

Quote from: Shogunn2517 on August 19, 2009, 12:33:43 AMSo in which Cobra Commander orgin is he and the Baroness brother and sister?
I think that's the movie version.

Shogunn2517

Okay, I'll be honest.  MAYBE I've judged the movie too harshly(definitely didn't judge the video game harshly at all, I've burned copies of it already).  Unfortunately, I'm afraid to watch it again in fears I'll be disgusted all over again.  I mean, Hama's stuff was sound.  Not just sound, but really good, really entertaining and even with the fastballs thrown at him by Hasbro, it has held up well in science fiction and military/personal suspense and drama.  Hell, even if they wanted to redo GI Joe the Movie as a live-action version, wouldn't have been as bad as some of the stuff they did in this movie.  Baroness ditching Cobra, evil and all-around bad@$$ery just to be some wholesome blonde that's enagaged and deeply in-love(still) with Duke?  I completely enjoyed them taking a dive into the histories of Snake Eyes and Storm Shadow, but why they have to add some ridiculious vow of silence?  Why could they just leave the "He doesn't speak... Why?  He doesn't say" line alone.  That would have been good enough.  Heck, he didn't even speak when he was littler.  And why the hell couldn't they give Cobra Commander a better look?  He looked rather... ridiculious... if at all uncomfortable.  Yeah, I know some stuff can be nit-picky, but some of the stuff they did was just unnecessary, uncalled for and rather insulting.

BentonGrey

Shogunn, it is against board policy to talk about or advocate piracy.  Whether the game is any good or not, it isn't a good idea to talk about burning it.
God Bless

Shogunn2517

No, I'm not talking piracy.  I'm talking about buying the game and lighting as many copies as I can buy on fire to prevent any wayward gamers from having a Gamefly commercial moment.

BentonGrey

God Bless

Shogunn2517

I'm sorry, in a world with Socom, Full Spectrum Warrior, Metal Gear, Call of Duty, Halo and a buttload of Tom Clancy games, what they did was simply disgraceful.

deano_ue

Quote from: BentonGrey on August 17, 2009, 06:00:35 PM

Where from?  Action Force?

action force if i remember right only changed the joes cobra stayed the same

marhawkman

Well, one of the weirder aspects is that the histories of the two groups are somewhat intertwined.

MJB

So what you guys are saying is I should go see this? *ducks*

marhawkman

Yes, just remember not to expect to to be uber-amazing.