A Thank You to Meshers (and Maybe a Subliminal Challenge)...

Started by cmdrkoenig67, August 03, 2009, 06:36:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cmdrkoenig67

First:  I want to thank you meshers for all of your hard work and dedication to the community.

I think we've lost a good deal of great meshers over the years for various reasons (tech issues, lack of interest, real life getting in the way, mysterious vanishings, death, maybe even anger at the rise of Skoping and not being credited for their work being used in said Skopes)...I think it's best we keep the ones we still have, try to keep them happy, praise them and thank them for their hard work.

Does Renegade still mesh, Beyonder, Ink, Valandar (I miss his amazing creatures and mechs), Bamphalas (who created the gorgeous Eagle mesh), Wingzero2525 (I miss his great Thundercats and Star Wars universe efforts), Texas Jack, Gni, Loopy Wolf, Dognoodle (I was hoping for more Droids and interesting beings/creatures, but DN been MIA for years now...I really hope he's okay), Fusion?

I really miss some of the unique contributions from these guys/gals/animals/etc...For their unusual meshing choices...Especially Val (for his daring to do animals, D&D style creatures, giant robots, Kaiju, etc...), Beyonder (for giving us horses, wolves, etc...), Gni (Alien, need I say more?), Loopy Wolf (K-9, Daleks and a flying saucer!), Texas Jack (for giving us a transforming Beast Boy) and Dognoodle (He made an R2-D2 mesh for dog's sake!)....They brought a lot of non-human and semi-humanoid variety of meshes to the game, that I miss. 

No offense is intended to those who make these sort of meshes when I say this, but for me...It gets a bit routine seeing the multitudes of well-known/Iconic heroes and villains being made, remade and remade yet again.

I'm glad Bearded appears to be back trying to make some interesting meshes...I truly feel his work is unappreciated (he made Frankenstein's Monster, Mermaids, Blue Beetle's Bugship and the awesome Ghost man mesh with it's creepy animations!)...I'm also glad to see Tommyboy has created outside of the box from time to time, like the Medusa meshes, the Lizard, the Micronauts (which I requested from him, thanks again Tom) and even making totally new keyframes that add to the characters interest...And Tomato also seems to be pushing a bit to the edge of what FF meshes are (venturing into Anime/Anime-ish characters), etc...Also: Yellow Lantern still seems to be creating here and there, but I know his RL is a very busy one (keep on truckin' my friend).

Maybe with the Champions site opening (Gawd knows when), we'll get so see more interesting and creative meshes being done too...It's a nice thought.

I just wanted to thank all of you meshers (past and present) for all of your hard work and dedication to the community.

very best.

Dana

naitvalis

i'll join congratulations too.

many thanks to all meshers and skinners, with their hard work have transported so many heroes and villains in our hands and let us play marvelous adventures of our "comic dreams" in freedom force.

herodad1

i also 10-4 on the congrat's!also like to throw in one of my all time favs which when i first got ff remember his battle zone and giggling with excitement at all his awsome stuff. GRENADIER! also to all the skinners,skopers,mappers,fx masters,voice pack people,keyframers,ffx men, and program powerhouses.this game and forum buds have made me and a whole lot of people SUPER happy!hats of to you! now get back to work! :lol:

riddler07

I completely agree, it is hard work that people put into the things that make this game so great.

Thanks for all that you do!  :thumbup:

style

I want to jump in on this and say thank you also! :thumbup: I luv all yall!!! :wub:
The Ultimate Fan!

Tame Fisher

I kind of feel like a freeloader for going this long without actually thanking everybody. Valandar, especially, drew me back into this game after six years with his Gundam meshes, which were honestly unlike anything I'd seen attempted yet. Then, as I traveled through the sites, from FXForce to SHJ's and Alex's, I found this enormous wealth of content that for the most part seems as new and amazing as anything coming out today. That's not any kind of dig on current producers, but rather a compliment to the community that, even as contributors come and go, the group as a whole is able to remain at such a consistent level of quality that people just now coming into this through Steam versions of FF and its sequel can look through all of this, from 2002 to now, and feel as though it's been a steady stream of awesome since the FF mod tools finished their first install on a consumer machine. Heck, Tommy himself has made enough meshes to populate a fantastically huge danger room map of New York City (which is AWESOME) with as many different characters as there are cab drivers in the real thing.

I'd feel like a ripoff posting in all the other threads with a similar message, but the above is true for contributors of every kind-- ESPECIALLY ones like cmdrkoenig, whose maps are the scenery upon which the greatest of low-poly superhero epics play out on a daily basis, and Goggles, whose map conversion pack gave me everything I loved about FF's turf without taking away the glory of DrMike and company's FFX 3.0 and subsequent updates.

And then there are the skinners. You guys are crazy. My very presence on this board, blurring together crudely drawn facial features, is a testament to your attention-grabbing skills. But again, it's a group effort that brings people in, and meshers are an integral part of that group. Making meshes is one of the few aspects of customization I don't think I could ever even try, and that's not just because I lack the money to buy software and stuff like that. You guys are polygon economists, making shapely (sometimes) human figures out of a fraction of what the guys generating models for crazy next-gen platforms do, with enough character to prove that it's not at all limiting. And keyframes...man, don't even get me started on that. If I tried to animate a body Gren's Bullseye would hobble on one foot while the other just kinda floated around waist-height, wrestling with arms that would appear to have popped out of their imaginary sockets.

bearded

don't forget some of our other good meshers:  ow tiobe sb, crusader,  and vertex is making a return also, bringing his standards.
but yeah, some of the new tech took some meshers away i think.  remember x-dud?  i might be wrong, but i think x-dud left cause he didn't like the hexxing.

Blkcasanova247

I can't help it that I look so good baby! I'm just a love machine!

Vertex

LOL Bearded and Cas  :D

I think I was left off the lists of meshers for a reason  :P  but thanks for the shout out :cool:
A wise man knows, he knows nothing
I must be the wisest man on Earth,
cause I don't know squat

Tomato

Honestly, I'm kinda suprsied I'm on the list for the reasons listed... While I can definitely accept pushing the anime boundary on my skins, I've made one anime mesh compared to like... 3 comic meshes and 4 base mesh (MB and MS at the moment) variations.

GogglesPizanno

Quote from: Tomato on August 04, 2009, 03:51:28 AM
Honestly, I'm kinda suprsied I'm on the list for the reasons listed... While I can definitely accept pushing the anime boundary on my skins, I've made one anime mesh compared to like... 3 comic meshes and 4 base mesh (MB and MS at the moment) variations.

But you've got the creepy blinking avatar. So that's worthy of something.  :P

bearded

Quote from: Vertex on August 04, 2009, 03:40:37 AM
LOL Bearded and Cas  :D

I think I was left off the lists of meshers for a reason  :P  but thanks for the shout out :cool:
i said you were bringing your standard.  i didn't say it was a good standard.  but i will say the design on your new timm flash is the best i've seeen you do so far!  good work on that, vertex.
but seriously, i took this as a thank you and a list of all meshers.  i don't think there are any politics involved.

and i do try to do extreme meshes, pushing my own personal boundaries and skills, but at best i am something of a hack.  not that anything is wrong with being a hack, it's fun.

Vertex

rofl Timm flash isn't mine it's Volsung.. all I've done is biped it and rig it for physique and load my animations.. it's not my mesh

... still I just have to laugh at my meshes being considered "standards" ... most who don't use mine ... don't because they AREN'T standard  :P
cause I don't know squat

John Jr.

It was the custom meshes and skins who brought me to FF. I discovered the game through Tommyboy's  Legionnaires, so i want to join the "Thank you!" chorus.
I like the FF characters, but what make the game special to me is the chance to see my favorite, less popular, characters in a game. So, without the creations of guys like Tommyboy, Vertex, C6, Afghan Ant, Renegade, Grenardier, Gryphon and a lot of others the game would be just another super-hero game and not "The" super-hero game for me.
I want to extend the "thank you" to other heroes like M25 ( i love EZ Script), the creator of this topic, cmdrkoenig67  (how imagine FF without custom maps?!), and Sledgehammer (voice packs! Is great have Superman sounding like himself).
So to ALL, meshers, skinners, mappers and FX guys, a big thank you!

cmdrkoenig67

Quote from: Vertex on August 04, 2009, 03:40:37 AM
LOL Bearded and Cas  :D

I think I was left off the lists of meshers for a reason  :P  but thanks for the shout out :cool:

No reason really, Vertex (except perhaps my absent-mindedness)...I love your vx meshes, they are innovative and amazing that they can express themselves like no others and I have several of them in use when I play (vx_male_aura, vx_northstar and  vx_morbius to name a few).  

I'm sure I forgot to mention legions other meshers too, I was desperately trying to recall everyone who is still meshing, those who have  left, those who may be making a come back...Plus my "list" wasn't so much a list of only certain meshers that I was thanking...I did start with "I want to thank you meshers for all of your hard work and dedication to the community." and repeated myself by ending with "I just wanted to thank all of you meshers (past and present) for all of your hard work and dedication to the community."

I wasn't intentionally trying to leave anybody out...

Please, please don't think I left anybody out, because I don't enjoy your work.

Best.

Dana

P.S. Thanks guys for the props for my map-making...It's very nice of you...

cmdrkoenig67

Quote from: Tomato on August 04, 2009, 03:51:28 AM

Didn't make your own tomato-headed mesh too, T (not to mention, the Fighter anime-looking mesh and the Alaric? mesh you were working on)?  I guess I was including them in my mind too.  I'm still impressed by your work.

I guess what I was getting at was...For me, I get really excited seeing meshes that really push the boundries...Meshes like Bearded (you are too hard on yourself, my friend), Beyonder and Valandar's bestiaries.  Vertex's vx meshes which express themselves in various keyframe animations (again, I apologize for leaving you out, V...I think you're amazing).  Jik for his amazing dragon and other creations...Our late, but great Web-Rider/Captain Carrot and his wonderful funny animal meshes.  Wingzero's Thundercats and Star Wars contributions, as well as Gni's own Star Wars and other alien and anime-ish contributions.  Synn has even ventured into amazing meshes like the Batmobile, Morph, Robot Master and it's Minions.  Tommyboy's ventures into the map-making world and even his amazing Helicarrier...And Ow Tiobe SB and his great object meshes.

I love seeing these sort of meshes in the game...Things beyond the norm...I'm weird like that.

My subliminal challenge was to meshers who are still creating to think outside of the box (or comic book) and make what hasn't been made, what can't be hexed or Skoped, etc...Something(s) different, I guess (giant robots, demonic creatures, tank-like weapons of mass destruction, animals and beasts of all types, etc...).

I'm saying again....Thank you...To ALL the meshers for your amazing hard work...Love to ya.

Best.

Dana

jtharris86

I had a dream....  :banghead: wrong speech

Yeah all you meshers are owed a long thank you for all the hard work yall have done for this community. So I just want to say THANK YOU  :P

Vertex

Not to worry Cmdr,

I didn't take it as a slight in the least, I meant you were suggesting/hoping for more "unique" meshes and that's not my forte. I'm all about recreating all my fave comic characters in 3d and I imagine that's pretty well known by now.
cause I don't know squat