News:

Rings of Reznor!

Main Menu

Question question

Started by Glitch Girl, August 03, 2009, 03:41:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Glitch Girl

This is referring to the current Question in DC comics, Renee Montoya.

Does she carry any specialized gear, specifically any type of sidearm, and if so, can someone link me to a good picture? 
-Glitch Girl

"Cynicism is not maturity, do not mistake the one for the other. If you truly cannot accept a story where someone does the right thing because it's the right thing to do, that says far more about who you are than these characters." - Greg Rucka

JeyNyce

From wiki: Montoya uses an advanced energy pistol she found while fighting with Intergang, as well as her police sidearm. 

Still looking for a pic
I don't call for tech support, I AM TECH SUPPORT!
It's the internet, don't take it personal!

JeyNyce

I don't call for tech support, I AM TECH SUPPORT!
It's the internet, don't take it personal!

daglob

Quote from: Glitch Girl on August 03, 2009, 03:41:51 PM
This is referring to the current Question in DC comics, Renee Montoya.

Does she carry any specialized gear, specifically any type of sidearm, and if so, can someone link me to a good picture? 

Does this mean you are working on a new Question for us to play with? If so, good! I've had a devil of a time trying to get her to look right.

Glitch Girl

Jey: thanks, you are a godsend.

daglob: Semi-sorta.  What I'm working on isn't digital.  Or guaranteed.

more later.
-Glitch Girl

"Cynicism is not maturity, do not mistake the one for the other. If you truly cannot accept a story where someone does the right thing because it's the right thing to do, that says far more about who you are than these characters." - Greg Rucka

Gremlin

Mr. Hamrick

We may have GG's forth coming Dragon Con costume

daglob

Quote from: Glitch Girl on August 03, 2009, 06:17:59 PM
Jey: thanks, you are a godsend.

daglob: Semi-sorta.  What I'm working on isn't digital.  Or guaranteed.

more later.

Hmmm... sorta like the guy asing about how to do a Rorschak costume?

Glitch Girl

Well, as I said, no promises.  This is my third attempt on the mask though this one is a little more promising. Even so, I'm cutting it way close.  It's  been a learning experience, such as the thin metal mesh I found at the craft store doesn't holds its shape that well (and yanks out my eyebrow hairs), and certain paints make plastic masks dissolve.

Hopefully 3rd time's the charm.
-Glitch Girl

daglob

...where is Professor Rodor when you need him?

Have you considerd something like a fencing mask with a cloth overlay? I always figured that for Vic to be able to see out of the mask, the area that was always shown as "clear" from the inside would really have to be something more like Hank Pym/Goliath's visors/eyepieces. Otherwise, his eye lashes would constantly be rubbing. Kinda like what The Blank looked like in Dick Tracy.

vamp

Quote from: Glitch Girl on August 04, 2009, 12:20:11 AM
and certain paints make plastic masks dissolve.

Not sure about plastic mask, but when i work with foams (spray paint melts them), i always put two or three layers of glue on it so the paint won't melt it. Don't know if that will help for a mask though...

GhostMachine

The Question's mask - at least the original's anyway - was supposed to be made of cheesecloth. Have you tried that, GG?

Glitch Girl

Heh... okay folks, to stop the speculation, here's what's gone on before...

GhostMachine, when I was looking around for ideas, I did find someone who made it from cheesecloth and literally glued it to his face (okay, spirit gum, but same diff).  Very effective, but poses a problem for my sitch: this is going to be a "walkaround" costume in Atlanta in the summer.  While I can deal with a few layers and heat, I still need to stay hydrated, which means being able to drink water on a regular basis, which means the mask has got to be easily removable and replaceable. 

And so...

Attempt 1) Using the metal mesh I got at the craft store, I tried to make it in the shape of my face and then planned to either paint or cover it in fabric (sort of like the fencing mask idea DG).  Problem was, the mesh was lightweight and malleable, a little too malleable.  It didn't keep the shape I wanted which meant it tended to warp and dent way too easily.  That and the mesh kept grabbing my eyebrow hairs while I was trying to make the shape which hurt a bit.

Attempt 2) I tried a different tactic for getting the facial base, getting a cheap plastic mask at the party store (one of the clear ones).  I cut a few extra holes in it around the eyes, mouth, and across the nostrils, and then decided to give it dusting of paint I had left over from some past project in order to give it a sort of "primer layer" under the fabric.  Unfortunately the paint I used was not a good match for the mask and it lost its shape while it was drying, making it pretty much unusable (then again, it was amazingly cheap so I'm not too surprised).

Attempt 3) (current attempt)  New cheap mask, same prep, different paint this time.  It's drying on the table right now, gonna let it dry overnight before I attempt any kind of affixing.  I've tested the fabric I want to use and while it does cut down on vision somewhat, I can still see enough to not trip over the furniture and I seem to be able to still breathe.  Once I get the fabric affixed, I will need to wear it for an extended period (an hour or so around the house) to make sure it's still viable.  Lots of ifs which is why this is still in the "May not happen" stage. 

At the moment, I have both cheesecloth and a finer weave fabric that is a little stretchy and will give a smoother finish.  Also experimenting with paint to give it a nice shading effect since I don't have an airbrush at this time. 

Will keep y'all posted if it works or not.  Got some waterproof adhesive for the fabric (don't want to sweat it off by accident) which is supppsed to hold this kind of stuff.  We'll see I guess.  I'm mostly just winging it as I go.  Not even sure if I'm gonna have time to build the gun, but I did have an idea for some small sticky labels with the Answer the Question image printed on them to hand to people which would be quick and fun.

-Glitch Girl

Mr. Hamrick

any other time, GG, i'd see what some of my effects people could come up with.  Actually, might know someone who still can.  I will call her up this after noon.  will let you know what she suggests.

GhostMachine

Interesting attempts. Good luck with the mask, though; I'm sure you'll find something that works in time.

Is Renee still wearing the baseball cap as the Question, or is she dressing like a female version of Vic now?

(Almost picked up the latest issue of Detective when I went to the comics shop today (The Question is the back-up feature), but decided not to)

daglob

Well, back in the stone age, when I was in college, one of the sculpture students decided to sculpt his girlfriend in fiberglass. What he did was get two kinds of metal mesh: chickenwire and screen door. The chickenwire held the general shape, but the screen door mesh could be shaped to almost exactly fit her form. The screen door mesh was on the outside. He coated the whole thing in fiberglass cloth and resin. I never did see the finished product, but what I did see looked pretty good. The screen door material, provided they still make it in metal and not fiberglass mesh, might be another way to go.